• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ronald Reagan's Long-Hidden Racist Conversation with Richard Nixon

Aren't Nixon and Reagan dead?

But the effects of their bigoted policies live on

Reagan's war on drugs targeted African Americans and did more to destroy AA families than the welfare state. Leaving white american druggies for the most part alone. Why who do we all think was buying all the coke from the 80s?

Yeah, the comments aren't good, but had I known them in advance I still could not have voted for Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro. Likewise, I doubt if many hypocrites, I mean Democrats, would have voted for Goldwater had they known what a bigot Johnson was.
If you think anyone is surprised you'd vote for racist over a Democrat after you've invested so much time laying out all of the evidence, you are seriously overestimating your shock value as a poster.

Sent from the Matrioshka in the WH Christmas tree.

Reagan, Nixon and LBJ were all from a very different generation. It wasn't that long ago that NFL players and even commentators talked about a play called "Niggers go deep". I'm sorry, but this thread subject doesn't bother me. I'm not saying that it's okay to diss on Asians as they did, but again, they were from a completely different era, and they are all dead.

Sorry, but Reagan and Nixon are not responsible for the fresh new racism the Republican Party sports. That's on Trump and his band of drooling followers.

How long until the Trump supporters join the thread to explain why this isn't racist?

Neh. We're going to sit back while you all prove that everything you don't like is "raaaaaaaaciiiiiist!".

If you think anyone is surprised you'd vote for racist over a Democrat after you've invested so much time laying out all of the evidence, you are seriously overestimating your shock value as a poster.

Would you have voted for Johnson?

What's to understand? You wanted to drag MLK, Jr. into a thread that has nothing to do with him. If you want to compare and contrast, then let's talking about Nixon's War on Drugs that was designed to target the black population.
Since we're talking about actions that were designed to target the black community, let's not leave out Margret Sanger. Her whole purpose for abortion was to target blacks, and keep them from having babies.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

Would you have voted for Johnson?
I wasn't alive in the 60s. You are about to have a vanilla moment.

Again.

I already despised Nixon, but I think the effect on Reagan is much more severe. By today's standards, he was positively bipartisan and he always seemed likable even if you hated his policies. While a private conversation like this always seemed plausible, I didn't actually suspect Reagan of feeling that way. It's shocking to read it word for word.

This is old news. Nothing earth shattering. Ronnie openly, twice during his administration, publicly called the Africans at the UN "a bunch of monkeys."

Since we're talking about actions that were designed to target the black community, let's not leave out Margret Sanger. Her whole purpose for abortion was to target blacks, and keep them from having babies.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk
Quick, run to the Smithsonian, let them know.

For a host of reasons, this tape wasn't released until about two weeks ago, and the results were published on the Atlantic site today.

The article goes on to talk about Reagan's support of South Africa during Apartheid.

Nixon for his part couldn't seem to shake Reagan's phone call from his head. Discussing it repeatedly over the coming days. Maybe he saw Reagan as a sounding board for his southern strategy of appealing to racists without saying things that were overtly racist. Or maybe it just reinforced his ideas about black intelligence:

I already despised Nixon, but I think the effect on Reagan is much more severe. By today's standards, he was positively bipartisan and he always seemed likable even if you hated his policies. While a private conversation like this always seemed plausible, I didn't actually suspect Reagan of feeling that way. It's shocking to read it word for word.

Racists are everywhere. Of course, most white people think the only racists out there are blacks and the whites who point out the racism of heroes like Reagan. But, smart people know better.

So calling people "monkeys" is OK with you? Seems so, you forgot to mention it.

I listened to the attached audio of Nixon in the article several times, very hard to understand but, the words from Nixon said of Reagan: "he said he saw those cannibals on TV last night" no where in the audio did I hear monkeys. Now you might say one is as bad as another but you are taking the words from 50 years ago and holding them to modem condemnations.

Were they bad then? Yes but, the catch is that the were typical terms often used at that time period. As time passed we erased them from our speech exactly because we came to see them as wrong. If you are going to hold people accountable for things that were not uncommon 50 years ago then you would be holding probably 80 to 90% of the population in a bad light. Time moved on and people changed, you can't apply today to the past, only to now and forward. IMO.

Some of us have always known Reagan and Nixon were extremely racist. In fact War on Drugs was created to target the black population.

It is no accident that Reagan launched his presidential campaign in Philadelphia, Miss Sippy, and ran on a platform of "states rights." Just another reason why he was the most overrated president of the 20th century, maybe the most overrated president ever.

I wasn't alive in the 60s. You are about to have a vanilla moment.

Again.

Irrelevant. Would you have voted for him.

I listened to the attached audio of Nixon in the article several times, very hard to understand but, the words from Nixon said of Reagan: "he said he saw those cannibals on TV last night" no where in the audio did I hear monkeys. Now you might say one is as bad as another but you are taking the words from 50 years ago and holding them to modem condemnations.

Were they bad then? Yes but, the catch is that the were typical terms often used at that time period. As time passed we erased them from our speech exactly because we came to see them as wrong. If you are going to hold people accountable for things that were not uncommon 50 years ago then you would be holding probably 80 to 90% of the population in a bad light. Time moved on and people changed, you can't apply today to the past, only to now and forward. IMO.

I’m betting that “cannibals” live in s-hole countries, right? Not much has changed,IMO

Irrelevant. Would you have voted for him.
It is irrelevant that I wasn't alive in the 1960s to vote for someone? Lol, how? Being alive is entirely relevant to voting.

Lol, vanilla moment. You are getting one for free right now.

Reagan was a racist, that is separate than being alive to vote for him. Ahleva admitting hed' would vote for racist, knowing they are racist is not a shocking admission to make.

What part of this exchange are you confused by?

It is irrelevant that I wasn't alive in the 1960s to vote for someone? Lol, how? Being alive is entirely relevant to voting.

Lol, vanilla moment.

You are getting one for free right now. Reagan was a racist, that is separate than being alive to vote for him.

I'll take your dancing to mean that you would hace voted for Johnson; a racist. Thanks!

Republican Party strategist Lee Atwater during an interview about the Southern Strategy:

Republicans freed the slaves, and to this day, we're the only ones that speak the truth to them and want true equality in opportunities for them. We just know that money can't fix the insipid cultural and familial problems that devastate their communities.

Meanwhile, you promise reparations, affirmative action, and other patronizing vote-buying nonsense that says how little you truly think of them. They're just lap dogs to you.

I'll take your dancing to mean that you would hace voted for Johnson; a racist. Thanks!
Apdst making it up as he goes again. I guess it's a better option than acknowledging reality.

This was a vanilla moment: How would you vote if you'd been alive 15-25 years before your date of birth?

Apdst making it up as he goes again. I guess it's a better option than acknowledging reality.

This was a vanilla moment: How would you vote if you'd been alive 15-25 years before your date of birth?

You gave that one to me. You shoulda just lied and said no.

You gave that one to me. You shoulda just lied and said no.
I predicted a vanilla moment, and I got one.

You created an anachronistic question around a poster's statement of what they would do, answered it yourself, and then claimed that was my answer.

We aren't fixing the intellectual deficiencies in your posts today. Just poking fun at them.

Rightttt cause Nixon was pandering to the white racists in the south for votes by enacting Affirmative Action giving legal preference to black over whites. Doesn't quite add up. The dixiecrats were democrats and folded back into the democratic party.

Racists often are forced to give concessions, also nixon didnt sign AA into law.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom