• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ronald Reagan's Long-Hidden Racist Conversation with Richard Nixon

Its also weird to say Nixon had a strategy to appeal to white racists democrats in the south without providing those public appeals.

You need to read more about the Southern Strategy.

Do you also despise Linden B Johnson for constantly using the N-word even thou he signed a civil rights act and was a historically documented bigot?

He is a documented bigot, his signing of that legislation does nothing to untarnish his legacy of using the N-word.

I'm gonna wait for the tapes of MLK cheering on his buddy raping a girl to be released in a few years....that ought to be a real hoot... see which we find more shocking...

Sure and that won't change the fact that Reagan wasn't a racist. So good for you, I guess?

Sure and that won't change the fact that Reagan wasn't a racist. So good for you, I guess?

Doesn't change the fact that MLK was an accomplice to rape either...

Which is illegal?

Doesn't change the fact that MLK was an accomplice to rape either...

Which is illegal?

Allegedly. And sure if he did it was a crime. But Reagan is still a racist, no?

I'm gonna wait for the tapes of MLK cheering on his buddy raping a girl to be released in a few years....that ought to be a real hoot... see which we find more shocking...

Is there a reason for this whataboutism?

Allegedly. And sure if he did it was a crime. But Reagan is still a racist, no?

that don't mean as much any more as you might think...

Kinda been watered down...

Is there a reason for this whataboutism?

Dar....isn't a whataboutism, it's a compare and contrast, please learn to comprehend the difference before next we meet, thanks...

Reagan had racist thoughts which was a pretty common thing in 1971.

Does this sum it up?

Dar....isn't a whataboutism, it's a compare and contrast, please learn to comprehend the difference before next we meet, thanks...

What is the purpose of compare and contrast? Reagan and Nixon were still racist, regardless of what MLK, Jr. did.

What is the purpose of compare and contrast? Reagan and Nixon were still racist, regardless of what MLK, Jr. did.

Did you not understand the question?

Did you not understand the question?

What's to understand? You wanted to drag MLK, Jr. into a thread that has nothing to do with him. If you want to compare and contrast, then let's talking about Nixon's War on Drugs that was designed to target the black population.

So calling people "monkeys" is OK with you? Seems so, you forgot to mention it.

It's a derogatory term to be sure. However, focusing on the name calling rather than the behavior (we all know that the US delegation would not lower themselves to dancing barefoot), we are kind of going along Nixon's lines - a paternal kind of view of the behavior. It's acceptable because it's done by another race, a race that we patronize.

You think your lie is going to be accept any thinking person. It won't. I see who you are now, just a liar.

Ohes noes! Someone disagreed with me, so they called me a name! If I was in grade 3, I might be upset!

Keeping up to your usual standards, eh American? :lamo

Last edited:
Reagan had racist thoughts which was a pretty common thing in 1971.

Actually it's still a pretty common thing in the USA in 2019.

Trump's primary campaign strategy is based on it.

Does this sum it up?

Let's see, USA has a long racist history, USA was racist in 1971, USA is still racist. Yeah, that about sums it up.

Talk about breaking news. This is huge. There was racism in 1970's America. I never thought I'd live to see the day that we uncovered racism in the 70's.

I am shocked. SHOCKED!

At least we still have the racism free 60's to hold on to. No one has found any racism there yet. But don't let that stop you from digging deeper into history to see if there was racism even prior to the 70's. I have a feeling there might have been some. We should see how deep this really goes.

Actually it's still a pretty common thing in the USA in 2019.

Trump's primary campaign strategy is based on it.

Trump's primary campaign strategy focuses on working class Americans.

Yellow mustard on baked beans, Dijon on brats and beef franks......you simply cannot mix the two.

I mean, really...could anyone be more déclassé ? :coffeepap

Mustard is gross, anywho.

For a host of reasons, this tape wasn't released until about two weeks ago, and the results were published on the Atlantic site today.

The article goes on to talk about Reagan's support of South Africa during Apartheid.

Nixon for his part couldn't seem to shake Reagan's phone call from his head. Discussing it repeatedly over the coming days. Maybe he saw Reagan as a sounding board for his southern strategy of appealing to racists without saying things that were overtly racist. Or maybe it just reinforced his ideas about black intelligence:

I already despised Nixon, but I think the effect on Reagan is much more severe. By today's standards, he was positively bipartisan and he always seemed likable even if you hated his policies. While a private conversation like this always seemed plausible, I didn't actually suspect Reagan of feeling that way. It's shocking to read it word for word.

I never suspected my father of being a racist, until I started dating a black girl.

Let us hope the same standard is applied by all of those in the MLK was a rapist thread.

:)

Sent from the Matrioshka in the WH Christmas tree.

Yeah, the comments aren't good, but had I known them in advance I still could not have voted for Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro. Likewise, I doubt if many hypocrites, I mean Democrats, would have voted for Goldwater had they known what a bigot Johnson was.

Back
Top Bottom