• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, cancel

Re: RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, canc

Well unless it's filmed yet....I mean, it's kind of hard to show it when it's not done.

Exactly.

Because it's going to take roughly three and a half years to film a four episode mini-series.

:roll:

Re: RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, canc

Just a small note, hillary is not a candidate. She is not even employed by the government right now. So this is not about a campaign. Your rules do not apply.

You're right, the campaign finance rules don't apply. That's why the RNC is instead threatening (yes, I said it) NBC and CNN with reprecussions if the Hillary Love-Fest Mine-Series makes it onto the air.

not according to campaign rules a network is required by law to give equal time to both parties. so if NBC and CNN are going to do a mini series about Clinton they then are required to do the same for who ever the Republican candidate will be

Equal-time rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That isn't what the Equal Time Rule says, it specifically refers to actual candidates. If Senator Doe is speaking on CNN for 5 minutes, then Senator John his opponent must also be given 5 minutes if he requests it. That is all it refers to. Fictional programming, documentaries, dramas, on the spot news, etc is all exempt.

You're right, the campaign finance rules don't apply. That's why the RNC is instead threatening (yes, I said it) NBC and CNN with reprecussions if the Hillary Love-Fest Mine-Series makes it onto the air.

That was what I was pointing out to the person who felt that those rules applied. The RNC can make any threats they want to. However, when it really comes down to it they make money on the debates so they will make sure it gets on NBC just for the revenue. It is cutting off their nose to spite their face. I am pretty sure NBC knows they want their loyal viewers.

n the flip side, I am quite positive that Mrs. Clinton took time off for purposes like this, and to avoid any political scandal fallout before her run. I would be a bit more likely to say this was unethical if it was in 2015 or 16. The election is three years away, it is not great timing. However, I would not be surprised to find this airing again during that period, and other shows coming into play. If the reps think Hillary is just some first lady riding her husband's popularity they are going to get blind sided. I do not blame them for being nervous.

Have they found actual proof that she's a woman? I always assumed that Chelsea had been found on their doorstep in a basket. What the "less regressive folks" do is their problem, not mine. I have a very different view of what happened..... The Party Elites spent the entire process doing everything in their power to ensure an actually Conservative member of the party could not win the nomination, even though that's what the largest part of the membership wanted. Instead, they forced the rank and file members to vote for their worthless, Center-Leftist candidate and when push came to shove a large portion of the members stopped pushing and allowed that Romeny campaign bus to roll right back over the party elites. It's the second time in a row that's happened, and it's why Conservative Independents like myself have no interest in the GOP and likely won't for many years to come. I think it's probably a combination of the two.

IF you had ever served in the army you would have learned what ASSuming does. But I can always count on you to substitute hack for fact. it isn't a problem for the less regressive, they seem to have expressed their opinion of the far right regressives. No Sir, it is a problem for anyone claiming to be 'conservative'. They are the ones sliding into losing ground due to the freak show highlighting what was wrong with the 50's...

I believe the Party Elite just stood to the side and let the buffoons who blatantly pander to the TPs rise and fall like turds in a cesspool. The problem wasn't what the membership wanted but rather what the regressive masses attracted. Flies don't come to disinfectant. :lol:

No one forced the GOP rank and file to do anything, their candidates fell all over themselves in a circular firing squad that had a heaping helping of flawed character.

The 'members' of the GOP had no choice but to 'push' as you put it. The alternative was just soooooo unthinkable to them. Oh they pushed- that a few truly regressive types didn't matters little in this- and what failed the GOP was the slightly conservative independents failed to swing over to the GOP. The GOP/TP membership will answer the cattle call no matter what- they are convinced even a Willard elitist is better than ANY Democrat.

As a Progressive I can only hope more 'conservative independants' or radical right regressives as I call 'em, pout and leave the party. the best outcome would be for an old school GOP candidate to win the Oval Office WITHOUT the regressives but a coalition of moderates on both sides of the left right divide. :peace

RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, ca

That isn't what the Equal Time Rule says, it specifically refers to actual candidates. If Senator Doe is speaking on CNN for 5 minutes, then Senator John his opponent must also be given 5 minutes if he requests it. That is all it refers to. Fictional programming, documentaries, dramas, on the spot news, etc is all exempt.

I thought that would be the case...

So, what exactly was the basis for the threat? Wouldnt that cause grieffor the RNc to not allow the debates to be aired?

Another important question; is anyone going to watch that bs movie?

Yeah a woman riding her lifelong philandering husband's coattails to the bank is a real endorsement for women's lib.

Sooo unlike a weak son riding his honorable daddy's coat tails into the Oval Office.... :roll:

While some would say she rode coattails, they would be wrong as she has carved out quite a path for herself since Bill left the Oval office. So I suppose any woman who raises her family first, then strikes out on a new career with her husband's support is open to the same ridicule? And some wonder why the GOP fails to find the working woman's vote? :peace

I imagine from their perspective politics is great until it ****s with your cash flow. Also, I'm rather skeptical that this is purely political, to begin with. It's like MSNBC or fox. I'm sure they really enjoy that they get to push a political agenda, but I imagine the main driving force there is providing people with a product they want to consume

I suppose that if I wanted to watch a presidential debate on TV, I wouldn't care which channel provided it. Lets say I'm a flaming liberal - the debate will be exactly the same if I watch FOX or NBC. So, as the consumer, I don't see how I'm affected. Also, do they even have ads during a debate (real question since I don't have a TV and use the internet instead)?

Just seems like a hollow threat.

strong women? give me a break :roll: a strong women would have left her husband after being caught screwing a 20 something year old intern in the oval office

Only when seen through a highly regressive prism, millions of highly 'conservative' ultra religious women stand by their man for better or worse. that you think they should cut and run is very telling...

but to get the rant correct, a BJ isn't screwing and if you think it is I doubt you have any children.... :2wave:

IF you had ever served in the army you would have learned what ASSuming does. But I can always count on you to substitute hack for fact. it isn't a problem for the less regressive, they seem to have expressed their opinion of the far right regressives. No Sir, it is a problem for anyone claiming to be 'conservative'. They are the ones sliding into losing ground due to the freak show highlighting what was wrong with the 50's...

I am quite well aware what happens when one assumes. Nobody has expressed any opinion on Far-Right Conservatives in the last two centuries becaues the last one elected to a seat in Washington was a DEMOCRAT - Andrew Jackson. The fact that the Republican Party refuses to even nominate a mildly Conservative candidate for POTUS simply shows many of us that there is no two-party system in this country.

I believe the Party Elite just stood to the side and let the buffoons who blatantly pander to the TPs rise and fall like turds in a cesspool. The problem wasn't what the membership wanted but rather what the regressive masses attracted. Flies don't come to disinfectant. :lol:

The RNC Party Elite had chosen their candidate - Romney. A died-in-the-wool LIBERAL who shouldn't even be allowed to be a member of the party, nevermind have been ellowed to RUN for the Governorship of Massachusetts or POTUS under the party's banner. The Conservatives had to keep throwing pseudo-Cons in front of Romney hoping to trup him up enough that one of the other candidates could take advantage. The Praty bigwigs didn't want that.

No one forced the GOP rank and file to do anything, their candidates fell all over themselves in a circular firing squad that had a heaping helping of flawed character.

LOL. No, the rank and file of the GOP NEVER supported the Conservative candidates. Why would they - they're not Conservatives themselves. The character flaws of the also-rans were no worse than the ones that Romney had.

The 'members' of the GOP had no choice but to 'push' as you put it. The alternative was just soooooo unthinkable to them. Oh they pushed- that a few truly regressive types didn't matters little in this- and what failed the GOP was the slightly conservative independents failed to swing over to the GOP. The GOP/TP membership will answer the cattle call no matter what- they are convinced even a Willard elitist is better than ANY Democrat.

I disagree. The TP and Conservative wings didn't answer the call and that's part of (though not all of) why Romney never had a chance from day one. More and more people are leaving the Republican Party from the Right end, and thereby pushing it further towards you folks on the left. Soon enough those of us who have been disenfranchised are going to do something about that.

As a Progressive I can only hope more 'conservative independants' or radical right regressives as I call 'em, pout and leave the party. the best outcome would be for an old school GOP candidate to win the Oval Office WITHOUT the regressives but a coalition of moderates on both sides of the left right divide. :peace

Just remember that gives us more time to practice mixing gasoline and fertilizer in our basements

That was what I was pointing out to the person who felt that those rules applied. The RNC can make any threats they want to. However, when it really comes down to it they make money on the debates so they will make sure it gets on NBC just for the revenue. It is cutting off their nose to spite their face. I am pretty sure NBC knows they want their loyal viewers.

n the flip side, I am quite positive that Mrs. Clinton took time off for purposes like this, and to avoid any political scandal fallout before her run. I would be a bit more likely to say this was unethical if it was in 2015 or 16. The election is three years away, it is not great timing. However, I would not be surprised to find this airing again during that period, and other shows coming into play. If the reps think Hillary is just some first lady riding her husband's popularity they are going to get blind sided. I do not blame them for being nervous.

you don't think Fox would be more then happy to run all the Republican debates they have a bigger audience then NBC and CNN

Republicans are not worried about Clinton as long as they have a equal and fair playing field but of coarse they never do, the refs are already pulling for the other team

but i don't think Clinton will be a problem she wont even run after the truths about Benghazi finally come to light

you don't think Fox would be more then happy to run all the Republican debates they have a bigger audience then NBC and CNN

Republicans are not worried about Clinton as long as they have a equal and fair playing field but of coarse they never do, the refs are already pulling for the other team

but i don't think Clinton will be a problem she wont even run after the truths about Benghazi finally come to light

And those "truths" are?

I disagree. The RNC knows that those people who really want to see the debate will find a channel to watch it on. Especially when it will be on at least two other non-cable channels (CBS and ABC). To that end, the threat to "boycott" NBC and CNN carries some teeth; especially since those outlets don't want someone deciding that they like ABC or Fox's blonde floozy reporter better than NBC or CNN's and not turning back.

Hillary isn't just a "first lady riding on her husband's coat-tails". No, she'd the leather-clad bull dyke dominatrix who spent years whipping and beating her pony -boy to carry her to the top of the political ladder, only to see it fall over when he screwed up the big finish with his eight years in office. Thus leaving her to have to do the dirty work of building her legacy by herself rather than having her husband do it for her. I wouldn't elect that woman town whore and I most certaily wouldn't trust her further than I can throw a Presidential limo.

Exactly.

Because it's going to take roughly three and a half years to film a four episode mini-series.

Depends on how far along it is. 3 1/2 years doesn't really sound out of line if the script isn't even done yet.

Sooo unlike a weak son riding his honorable daddy's coat tails into the Oval Office.... :roll:

Is this supposed to mean something?

God, I hope the boycott happens. The less airtime the GOP gets for its weirdo views, the more isolated and paranoid it become, the sooner it will finally go extinct.

Imagine conservatives trying to blackmail the media with threats that they won't allow more coverage of their freakish debates! As if anybody cares but a diminishing number of gun nuts and retirees who think the UN is going to invade their trailer park.

[h=1]RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, cancel your Hillary movies[/h]
(That's the full title, not enough room in title line of thread)
RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, cancel your Hillary movies « Hot Air

So we're all about people's freedom of speech....unless they use it to make a movie about Hilary Clinton. We're all about freedom of the press.....unless they use it to air said movie.

I thought it was Liberals who only liked speech they liked....oh well....

BTW, as a side note to Mr. Priebus - You get more out of having your debates on the air than they do.

The funniest thing is the Citizens United case was about a Hillary bashing movie.

How quickly they know we forget.

Just a small note, hillary is not a candidate. She is not even employed by the government right now. So this is not about a campaign. Your rules do not apply.

This is true. Nor does it apply to CNN. CNN is not a broadcast television outlet but rather a private closed circuit subscription channel. To the viewers its just another channel that's on our TV channels list but to the FCC there's a world of difference between the broadcast networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX [not the News Channel), CW and PBS) and cable only channels like CNN, MSNBC, Disney Channel, ESPN, MTV, etc. Actually, its not even the broadcast networks that come under more strict regulation but the local TV stations that carry them. If a TV station uses public ariwaves, they are required to "serve the public interest" and come under special rules. Cable only TV don't use public airwaves, thats why there's a Playboy channel, etc. that would be illegal on a regular TV station. CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc. are not required to give equal time to political candidates, refrain from using profanity, etc. In fact with the infamous 2005 Superbowl halftime show, it wasn't CBS that got in trouble with the FCC, it was each one of the local CBS affiliate TV stations as the CBS network is not regulated by the FCC (except for the few TV stations CBS directly owns).

Let's see, who needs whom more? A demographically foundering GOP that is a laughingstock for a larger and larger percentage of the electorate, or NBC, who never gets any significant ratings from the GOP debate freakfests?

Wow, this is quite a threat from the GOP!

The media also has a ethical duty to keep fair elections by not overly playing a certain candidate.

You told Fox News that?

[h=1]RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, cancel your Hillary movies[/h]
(That's the full title, not enough room in title line of thread)
RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, cancel your Hillary movies « Hot Air

So we're all about people's freedom of speech....unless they use it to make a movie about Hilary Clinton. We're all about freedom of the press.....unless they use it to air said movie.

I thought it was Liberals who only liked speech they liked....oh well....

BTW, as a side note to Mr. Priebus - You get more out of having your debates on the air than they do.

Amazing how liberals bitch about corporations donating money to politicians and buying ads, but yet are comfortable with networks (which are owned by corporations) trying to brainwash the public with movies and constant airtime about a candidate. This **** has way more effect than any political ad.

Wouldn't it be better for Democrats to not have as many people watch the GOP debates?

Doesn't seem like a very effective threat.

"Please don't throw us in the briar patch!"

I am quite well aware what happens when one assumes. Nobody has expressed any opinion on Far-Right Conservatives in the last two centuries becaues the last one elected to a seat in Washington was a DEMOCRAT - Andrew Jackson. The fact that the Republican Party refuses to even nominate a mildly Conservative candidate for POTUS simply shows many of us that there is no two-party system in this country. (meant the snarky attack on Hillary's sex as the ASSuming. And I recall Barry Goldwater was nominated)

The RNC Party Elite had chosen their candidate - Romney. A died-in-the-wool LIBERAL who shouldn't even be allowed to be a member of the party, nevermind have been ellowed to RUN for the Governorship of Massachusetts or POTUS under the party's banner. The Conservatives had to keep throwing pseudo-Cons in front of Romney hoping to trup him up enough that one of the other candidates could take advantage. The Praty bigwigs didn't want that. (no the buffoon show was pure TP falling over themselves trying to be the biggest regressive in the room. Each one short sheeting the others so no one but Willard could win. It was an incredible sight and I can see why EVERY network would want to air that hot mess. All 'protect the wealthy' Willard had to do was stand to the side)

LOL. No, the rank and file of the GOP NEVER supported the Conservative candidates. Why would they - they're not Conservatives themselves. The character flaws of the also-rans were no worse than the ones that Romney had. (oh they clowns of the TP pandering crew had flaws that make Willard look golden... you obviously didn't pay much attention as one after the other regressive fell to scandal)

I disagree. The TP and Conservative wings didn't answer the call and that's part of (though not all of) why Romney never had a chance from day one. More and more people are leaving the Republican Party from the Right end, and thereby pushing it further towards you folks on the left. Soon enough those of us who have been disenfranchised are going to do something about that. (Oh how I disagree with that bunk! First you are trying to claim the TP's and other regressives think allowing President Obama 4 more years to 'destroy' our grand Republic is better than having Willard in the White House? :shock: You claim the 'conservatives' didn't vote for him when every poll says otherwise- he lost support in the middle not extreme right wing. The TPs and other regressives were so mad at Willard they refused to vote for TP candidates in Senate races???? :confused: Regressives are not leaving the party, they are still trying desperately to hijack it and failing miserably, if only the GOP would abandon the radical right regressives and come to the sanity center! My money is one the regressives will do nothing about it, but mutter in the corner)

Just remember that gives us more time to practice mixing gasoline and fertilizer in our basements (talk is cheap on the interweb, but do mix away)

Is this supposed to mean something?

BushII spending his entire life riding his much more worthy father's coat tails, from school to the White house

not according to campaign rules a network is required by law to give equal time to both parties. so if NBC and CNN are going to do a mini series about Clinton they then are required to do the same for who ever the Republican candidate will be

Clinton isn't a candidate for anything

But it's obvious that the entire republican party is scared witless about the possibility of her running for office

Back
Top Bottom