• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican Fear of Science [W:131]

How does non AGW science harms republicans? Why should the whole science body influence fear upon republicans?
Because there's real science, and then there's "political" science. "Political" science is whatever the political left claims is science. It's distinctly different from real science, but "political" science was created by the left in order to label anybody who disagrees with the left as "anti-science". The political left in this country is very busy redefining anything and everything that furthers their political interestes.

Mixing science and politics is a bad idea. If AGW hasn't taught us that then we are slow learners.

Well, there is NO scientific organization, to my knowledge, that has an opposing position.

So do you mean the opposing position of the four year old down the street who says fall weather means the world is getting colder?

Ah ... I see your problem ...
tunnel_vision.jpg
I kinda figured that was it.

Ah ... I see your problem ...
View attachment 67154195
I kinda figured that was it.

Yep. I only look at scientific assessments of science.
I guess you call that tunnel vision.

Have you found the scientific organization with an 'opposing viewpoint'? I didn't think so, because you resort to posting pictures....

Yep. I only look at scientific assessments of science.
I guess you call that tunnel vision.

Have you found the scientific organization with an 'opposing viewpoint'? I didn't think so, because you resort to posting pictures....

Yes ... when you know of no other scientific opinion and you're happy to keep it that way, that's not only tunnel vision, but tunnel vision with a smiley face.

How does non AGW science harms republicans? Why should the whole science body influence fear upon republicans?

Voter base feels threatened by discussions about the age of the earth and evolution. This snowballs into geology, chemistry, nuclear physics, astrophysics, etc.... all are met with distrust. Then you get fourth graders answering "science" quiz questions declaring that humans coexisted with dinosaurs before the flood. These children are not going to be prepared to operate in any scientific field.

Voter
base feels threatened by discussions about the age of the earth and evolution. This snowballs into geology, chemistry, nuclear physics, astrophysics, etc.... all are met with distrust. Then you get fourth graders answering "science" quiz questions declaring that humans coexisted with dinosaurs before the flood. These children are not going to be prepared to operate in any scientific field.

You're full of it.

I'm a Conservative and a Christian and Ill challenge any left wing lunatic out there on a scientific disussion concerning the origins of our universe.

The threads I've posted in the Science section of the forum or the threads I've started are absent of any substantive input from the likes of your ilk.

With the exception of a fumbling and clumsy attempt to understand the concepts of...SCIENCE from those on the left.

All you have is a inacurrate portayal of the Comservative position.

There are so many things conservobots know more about than the rest of the world. Now my life history is one. It least you are funny. Ok, exactly what am I wrong about?
For someone raised an ultraconservative republican, you sure don't know dick about conservative republicans. You just made some claims about republicans that are completely ridiculous. My guess is that you've never been a conservative because you are clearly so far in the tank for the left that if you ever knew anything about conservatives, you either forgot it or are happy to lie about it. Probably the latter.

Because there's real science, and then there's "political" science. "Political" science is whatever the political left claims is science. It's distinctly different from real science, but "political" science was created by the left in order to label anybody who disagrees with the left as "anti-science". The political left in this country is very busy redefining anything and everything that furthers their political interestes.

So then conservatives are not threatened from science but from science with a political agenda instead? Again it makes no sense. Having distrust would entice one to use more critical thinking and pick which data to use for their conservative agenda's instead then. Why drop the whole thing?

Voter base feels threatened by discussions about the age of the earth and evolution. This snowballs into geology, chemistry, nuclear physics, astrophysics, etc.... all are met with distrust. Then you get fourth graders answering "science" quiz questions declaring that humans coexisted with dinosaurs before the flood. These children are not going to be prepared to operate in any scientific field.

Instead of fearing science both parties could benefit from critical thinking and selective data. In the end it would be left to the audience to critically think and decide whom will they get to vote.

Critical thinking could be learned and everyone could benefit from it.

:agree: As nearly as I can figure it, some people assume they were born to be the final word on everything, no questioning permitted, so they become shocked and furious, causing their "attack gene" to become active, when others disagree with them! What a curious way to live! Since they don't feel the need to justify their behavior, because they are always right, they seem to completely agree with the Gryphon in Alice in Wonderland who impatiently exclaimed..."explanations take such a dreadful time." Ch11 :lamo:

Good morning, humbolt. :2wave:

So then conservatives are not threatened from
science but from science with a political agenda instead? Again it makes no sense. Having distrust would entice one to use more critical thinking and pick which data to use for their conservative agenda's instead then. Why drop the whole thing?

Instead of fearing science both parties could benefit from critical thinking and selective data. In the end it would be left to the audience to critically think and decide whom will they get to vote.

Critical thinking could be learned and everyone could benefit from it.

Critical thinking doesn't on its own determine truth.

If anything it leads to more theory and questions.

We're too young of a race to use science alone as a standard for all thats right and or correct.

If critical thinking were all that was needed then we could turn over all of our problems to the Jaguar supercomputer.

Last edited:
Perhaps it would make more sense for the Congress to get together and define completely what should and should not be the role of federal government.

Perhaps it would make more sense for the Congress to get together and define
completely what should and should not be the role of federal government.

Thats already neen determined

Thats already neen determined

That's true. I wasn't thinking. In their minds everything is a role of federal government.

Critical thinking doesn't on its own determine truth.

If anything it leads to more theory and questions.

We're too young of a race to use science alone as a standard for all thats right and or correct.

If critical thinking were all that was needed then we could turn over all of our problems to the Jaguar supercomputer.

If Republicans influence accurate research that supports their positions and Democrats do also, then by critically evaluating and thinking the findings may help one gain truth for themselves. If more questions are necessary to be responded to then demand more data from the parties.

Do not let the computer build the truth for you. Engage in the interpretation of the truth with your own critical thinking skills instead.

Being young is no excuse. Sometimes we should start.

To say repubs fear science is ridiculous. The problem is the fine line between real science and junk science. As someone already mentioned many so called Scientists have agendas and are in ongoing competition for govt grants. Research motivated by political, ideological, financial... etc reasons should be a concern for everyone.

That's true. I wasn't thinking. In their minds everything is a role of federal government.

You're right about that.

Its always been their attempt to delegitimize the document that spells put exactly what our Governments role is.

Even Peebo said it was a charter of negative liberties

I agree that it is ridiculous that this piece of legislation is being obstructed. However let's not delve into hyperbole, the US is far, far, far from being on the 'periphery' of science. We remain a global leader if not the global leader.

I agree...the hyperbole was ummm... hyperbolic... US companies generate the most number of patents in the world, although that being in the private sectors. There was a time when US government allied with private corporations to map the human genome. That was great and that how it should be. But since then we have deiced to severely cut the funding in Science and Technologies in all areas from NASA NOAA to ....everything except with things that go BOOM!

While we watch other countries to surpass us in the areas that we were at the forefront. We were going to built our own super collider in Texas which was great (even though it was in Texas) but congress cut the funding and instead we have a big ditch as a consolidation price. Germany has surpass us in leaps and bounds in Solar technology and implementation, and that in a country that gets what, 3 months of mild sunshine a year. Northern Europe has managed to fully integrate alternate source of energy to the public transportation....and many other examples....

The problem is not that we don't know how or there is no will or motivation the problem is this Science and Technology phobic Congress. Many of these technologies are new and most will crash and burn but that is the job of the government to fund them as best as we can, because the private sector can't, and once these technologies go through their evolution and revolution, then they are given to private sector to go wild with. That is one of the primary function of the government. This what most government do and that is what we used to do. But now the most useless congress in the history of this country, spending ungodly amount of money on trivial issues and bickering over the most simplistic things, not because ideology or belief or because they believe it is the right thing to do..but because they intentionally trying to break the government.

Yesterday I watch that idiot Ted Cruz babble. He argued the Obamacare is bad, but the reason that obamacare is bad is because he argued...once people get these entitlement, they will never want to let it go" In short they believe they must shut the government and hurt tens of thousands of government workers and in turn hurt the economy if they don't get their wish of defunding obamacare because once people get their taste of Obamacare they will like it.

So he is not arguing that hey Obamacare is bad, but here are the ways to make it better he want to kill it so that people won't get its benefits because he fears they will like it.

What kind of moronic mentality is that? And these are the very mentalities that are in the charge of road mapping the country's science and technology.

Diving Mullah

There are so many things conservobots know more about than the rest of the world. Now my life history is one. It least you are funny. Ok, exactly what am I wrong about?

Au Contraire. I don't know your life history. I just think you're not being honest because based on what you said about conservatives, it is not plausible that you ever were one.

I agree...the hyperbole was ummm...
hyperbolic... US companies generate the most number of patents in the world, although that being in the private sectors. There was a time when US government allied with private corporations to map the human genome. That was great and that how it should be. But since then we have deiced to severely cut the funding in Science and Technologies in all areas from NASA NOAA to ....everything except with things that go BOOM!

While we watch other countries to surpass us in the areas that we were at the forefront. We were going to built our own super collider in Texas which was great (even though it was in Texas) but congress cut the funding and instead we have a big ditch as a consolidation price. Germany has surpass us in leaps and bounds in Solar technology and implementation, and that in a country that gets what, 3 months of mild sunshine a year. Northern Europe has managed to fully integrate alternate source of energy to the public transportation....and many other examples....

The problem is not that we don't know how or there is no will or motivation the problem is this Science and Technology phobic Congress. Many of these technologies are new and most will crash and burn but that is the job of the government to fund them as best as we can, because the private sector can't, and once these technologies go through their evolution and revolution, then they are given to private sector to go wild with. That is one of the primary function of the government. This what most government do and that is what we used to do. But now the most useless congress in the history of this country, spending ungodly amount of money on trivial issues and bickering over the most simplistic things, not because ideology or belief or because they believe it is the right thing to do..but because they intentionally trying to break the government.

Yesterday I watch that idiot Ted Cruz babble. He argued the Obamacare is bad, but the reason that obamacare is bad is because he argued...once people get these entitlement, they will never want to let it go" In short they believe they must shut the government and hurt tens of thousands of government workers and in turn hurt the economy if they don't get their wish of defunding obamacare because once people get their taste of Obamacare they will like it.

So he is not arguing that hey Obamacare is bad, but here are the ways to make it better he want to kill it so that people won't get its benefits because he fears they will like it.

What kind of moronic mentality is that? And these are the very mentalities that are in the charge of road mapping the country's science and technology.

Diving Mullah

Texas is awesome and speaking of moronic what would be the point of building an additional super collider with the same attributes, power constraints and limitations as the CERN super collider

I doubt highly you could carry on a reasonable discussion of particle physics let alone offer up any practical arguments for funding Cern x 2.

So then conservatives are not threatened from science but from science with a political agenda instead? Again it makes no sense. Having distrust would entice one to use more critical thinking and pick which data to use for their conservative agenda's instead then. Why drop the whole thing?
I, for one, haven't dropped the whole thing. Just that part in which the political component outweighs any science and scientific proof. AGW is one of those largely political issues with rather sketchy "science" as its foundation - or perhaps a political initiative that has cobbled together flimsy and nearly anecdotal "evidence".

:agree: As nearly as I can figure it, some people assume they were born to be the final word on everything, no questioning permitted, so they become shocked and furious, causing their "attack gene" to become active, when others disagree with them! What a curious way to live! Since they don't feel the need to justify their behavior, because they are always right, they seem to completely agree with the Gryphon in Alice in Wonderland who impatiently exclaimed..."explanations take such a dreadful time." Ch11 :lamo:

Good morning, humbolt. :2wave:
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to speak of many things. Of why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings..."

If Republicans influence accurate research that supports their positions
and Democrats do also, then by critically evaluating and thinking the findings may help one gain truth for themselves. If more questions are necessary to be responded to then demand more data from the parties.

Do not let the computer build the truth for you. Engage in the interpretation of the truth with your own critical thinking skills instead.

Being young is no excuse. Sometimes we should start.

I'm not "young" and was using the computer to make a point.

We are as a race to young to use critical thought alone. Humans have intuition, the advantage of lifes experiences and the abillity to have faith in things unseen or heard and to cast that aside on the basis that it's contrary to critical thought is to sell ourselves short.

Like I said, we could some day build a machine with the abillity to make our decisions for us but it would lock out the human element, and the advantage of human intuition.

Texas is awesome and speaking of moronic what would be the point of building an additional super collider with the same attributes, power constraints and limitations as the CERN super collider

I doubt highly you could carry on a reasonable discussion of particle physics let alone offer up any practical arguments for funding Cern x 2.

That's right. We should let the Europeans lead in science, public transportation and alternate energy. They have a better form of Govt. after all. They might even be better people than us. We will just buy the technology from them. That's how we got to be the most powerful nation in the world, right?

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to speak of many things. Of why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings..."

:thumbs: I agree with the walrus! The time has come, if it's not already closing on the midnight hour! There are big problems facing us that need to be tackled and dealt with, although it would have been better if they had been handled before we arrived at the crisis stage, IMO! Fluff time is over! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom