• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican Fear of Science [W:131]

Ok. Back to the main topic. How is voting against another government post,albeit ceremonially,mean conservatives are "afraid"of science.

The "experts" and their "scientific models" have failed to predict anything correctly yet. I think as far as sciences go, the whole "climatology" science is about as far from being actually scientific as anything we've ever called science. .

Ai contraire. The models back in the 80s called it pretty well. The temperatures have risen in step with what would be expected from our CO2 emissions.

And you might not consider it science, but I'll take the word of the National Science Foundation, the Royal Society, the AAAS, and dozens of other scientific organizations over your BS interpretive dance thoughts.

Ai contraire. The models back in the 80s called it pretty well. The temperatures have risen in step with what would be expected from our CO2 emissions.

And you might not consider it science, but
I'll take the word of the National Science Foundation, the Royal Society, the AAAS
, and dozens of other scientific organizations over your BS interpretive dance thoughts.

Okay.
Now how about listing the opposing positions and why they're wrong.

And you might not consider it science, but I'll take the word of the National Science Foundation, the Royal Society, the AAAS, and dozens of other scientific organizations over your BS interpretive dance thoughts.

IPCC seems to be the biggest science denier these days.

IPCC Chairman Denies Global Warming Slowdown
Rajendra Pachauri, the head of the UN’s climate panel, dismissed suggestions of a slowdown in global warming. “There’s definitely an increase in our belief that climate change is taking place and that human beings are responsible,” he told me. “I don’t think there is a slowdown (in the rate of temperature increase). I would like to draw your attention to the World Meteorological Organization which clearly stated on the basis of observations that the first decade of this century has been the warmest in recorded history. And I think the rest will be brought out by the report itself when it’s released.” –Roger Harrabin, BBC News, 23 September 2013

The imagery on the BBC 10 O’Clock News, 23 September 2013
Continue reading →

Earlier this week, House Republicans quietly blocked a proposal that would institute the position of science laureate of the United States. It was expected to sail by--after all, who could possibly have a problem with an honorary position that costs the taxpayers absolutely nothing, the goal of which is to promote science education? House Republicans, apparently.
In the United States, the position of laureate--the only national one of which is the poet laureate--is a largely ceremonial position. The poet laureate receives a small stipend of $35,000 a year and is given a platform to promote poetry and literature through readings, appearances, and new projects (some have promoted African diaspora poetry, some have attempted to get poetry and fiction into places like airports and waiting rooms, some have encouraged early education). The proposed science laureate would have a similar duty: Mazie Hirono, the Hawaii Democrat who co-sponsored the bill, described it as "a national role model who can encourage students to learn more about the sciences. By elevating great American scientific communicators, we can empower students--especially girls and minorities--to get excited about science." It would be an unpaid position, to be held by up to three notable American scientists.
The proposal should have passed easily. But last week, Larry Hart, a former Republican congressional aide and current representative of the American Conservative Union (the country's oldest politically conservative lobbying group), sent a letter to House Republicans claiming that this position is far from benign. Hart writes that the laureate, appointed by President Obama, "will share his view that science should serve political ends, on such issues as climate change and regulation of greenhouse gases.”
Republicans promptly pulled support for the bill, taking it off the floor schedule, meaning it may or may not ever actually see the floor again. At best, if there's pressure, it may be re-introduced in a few months. If it does, it'll face opposition from various anti-climate-change groups. Or the bill may just die.

Republicans Block Proposal For National Science Laureate, Fearing Science | Popular Science

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On surface this appear to motivated by curtailing government spending, however by looking at past behaviors, it is clear that Republicans most scary enemy is science specially fact and figures. So of course in order to prevent themselves from spiraling down the chute of irrelevancy and obscurity they have decided to attack Science from all Fronts After all less knowledge and more ignorance does seem to promote their cause and helps them keep their jobs.

It is funny how far we gone back. There use to be a time where Engineers and Scientist were revered and worshiped in this country, but now in the eyes of republicans that is called being elitist, combating ignorance with science data and fact is actually a handicapped. Phrases like "I don't have facts and figures but I believe..." is unmet with challenge or questions. Counterpoint of personal facts to contrary with fact and figures is called ambush journalism..

Country that was at the forefront of science is now lingering on periphery thanks to 30 years of republican policies and their never ending war on Science.

Diving Mullah

We don't need a talking head officially defining what theories are relevant and what theories aren't...

This is another attempt by progressives to create a board of empty suits to redefine ideas and put a government stamp of approval on ideas and theories that should be left up for independent debate....

Furthermore it's just another attempt to grow the government on top of that...

Sorry we don't need a "Supreme Court of Theory."

Governments shouldn't be endorsing theories - they shouldn't be taking sides in the scientific community. It's not their job to weigh in on sciences and endorsing ideas...

Okay.
Now how about listing the opposing positions and why they're wrong.

Well, there is NO scientific organization, to my knowledge, that has an opposing position.

So do you mean the opposing position of the four year old down the street who says fall weather means the world is getting colder?

absolutely false,only young earth creationists believe the earth is 6000 years old base off mumbo jumbo math from the bible,and blatently ignore the fact the bible never says how old the earth is.

saying republicans believe that is like saying all democrats believe in spitting on soldiers because 1 out of 1,000,000 actually did it,therefore all did it.

Unfortunately though, the Republicans in the House and Senate seem to love to put overt YECs on science committees. That doesn't suggest the GOP at the Federal level at least isn't scientifically backward.

Unfortunately though, the Republicans in the House and Senate seem to love to put overt YECs on science committees. That doesn't suggest the GOP at the Federal level at least isn't scientifically backward.

The government should have no "science committee."

It's not their job to legitimize theories or ideas through a government panel or promote certain ideas while ignoring ideas that contradict those ideas...

Besides the whole idea of this panel is to demonize industry in an attempt to pick and choose winners and losers in an attempt to control the economy and the general public...

This is 1984 Orwellian territory...

The federal government is attempting a totalitarian power grab with Obmacare and now an official science panel....

They're going to brainwash you with whats bad (science panel) then tax the hell out of whatever they say is bad via scare tactics and cite "health care costs" (Obamacare) for that and the ****ing idiotic American public will buy it hook line and sinker........

The government should have no "science committee."

It's not their job to legitimize theories or ideas through a government panel or promote certain ideas while ignoring ideas that contradict those ideas

The state has an interest in teaching people proper science for the growth of the economy.
Second, the state should be promoting what is known to be true rather than what people wish to be true.
Third, the state has a vested interest in funding R&D for economic growth, especially as every other country does so and refusal to do so would hamper American companies and cost America growth.

Besides the whole idea of this panel is to demonize industry in an attempt to pick and choose winners and losers in an attempt to control the economy and the general public

Demonize industry? Do you have any idea what the science committees in the House and Senate do? And government picks winners and losers every time they spend a dollar. The entire defense budget is picking winners and losers.

This is 1984 Orwellian territory

Only if you've never read anything Orwell wrote.

The federal government is attempting a totalitarian power grab with Obmacare and now an official science panel....

They're going to brainwash you with whats bad (science panel) then tax the hell out of whatever they say is bad via scare tactics and cite "health care costs" (Obamacare) for that and the ****ing idiotic American public will buy it hook line and sinker........

Wow. Tinfoil hat there.

The state has an interest in teaching people proper science for the growth of the economy.
Second, the state should be promoting what is known to be true rather than what people wish to be true.
Third, the state has a vested interest in funding R&D for economic growth, especially as every other country does so and refusal to do so would hamper American companies and cost America growth.

Demonize industry? Do you have any idea what the science committees in the House and Senate do? And government picks winners and losers every time they spend a dollar. The entire defense budget is picking winners and losers.

Only if you've never read anything Orwell wrote.

Wow. Tinfoil hat there.

You're pretty misinformed and shortsighted....

Maybe you should take your tinfoil hat off and understand that the government only cares about themselves and many of our representatives, whom are mostly democrats only care about their cushy jobs and salary and will do anything and everything to remain in their positions - not only that but are blatant communists themselves...

Why you think they want gun regulations or gun bans???

Oh so the citizen cannot stand up against them and overthrow them...

35,000 people die everyday 100 of them due to gun violence and 90 of those people die at the hands of people who legally shouldn't have a gun (gang bangers).... Why guns?? what makes guns so ****ing special?

Oh yeah because the government has guns and you can't bring a knife to a gunfight....

You're pretty misinformed and shortsighted.

This outta to be good.

You couldn't even figure out that the Science commitees I was talking about were preexisting in the House and Senate and have nothing to do with the small denied position as well as Obamacare.

I'm misinformed and shortsighted but you couldn't even figure out what committees I was discussing?

That's rich.

Maybe you should take your tinfoil hat off and understand that the government only cares about themselves and many of our representatives, whom are mostly democrats only care about their cushy jobs and salary and will do anything and everything to remain in their positions - not only that but are blatant communists themselves

Do you have anything other than partisan vomit to say?

Why you think they want gun regulations or gun bans???

Oh so the citizen cannot stand up against them and overthrow them...

35,000 people die everyday 100 of them due to gun violence and 90 of those people die at the hands of people who legally shouldn't have a gun (gang bangers).... Why guns?? what makes guns so ****ing special?

Oh yeah because the government has guns and you can't bring a knife to a gunfight....

And how is that relevant to anything I said?

You insult me and then utterly and completely fail to point out how ANYTHING I said was wrong.

I was born and raised an ultra conservative
Republican. I think to be a Republican today you have to lay aside reality and your patriotism. Education sucks because the Republicans found out teachers are sometimes in unions. Science is Junk because evidence abounds man contributes to global warming and the Repubs and big oil...well you get the picture. They are no longer American, they are simply antiObama.

I've been a Conservative all of my adult life and I promise you're as ignorant about scientific principles in general as you are about the real principles of the Conservative ideology.

I've started a couple of threads in the Science section of the forum.

How about you pop in and show me how knowledgable you are about "SCIENCE" Ok ?

Shouldn't be so difficult right ??

If a Conservative started them and participated in it right ??

I'll wait for a response from you ok ?

With no other problems facing America, I think it is very important that this be resolved.

How about a Science Czar who can regulate the age of the Earth? Now, that would be useful:roll:

Agreed.

Seriously, aren't there any more pressing issues they can waste their time with?

Isn't there a post office in Sheep Springs, New Mexico they can re-name?
Maybe pass an integral resolution to name a park in West Salmon Falls, Idaho after some liberal cheeseweenie?
I know!.. Pass an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT bill to name March 17th as "National Crown Roast of Pork Day!" ...oh wait...they already did that.

This outta to be good.

You couldn't even figure out that the Science commitees I was talking about were preexisting in the House and Senate and have nothing to do with the small denied position as well as Obamacare.

I'm misinformed and shortsighted but you couldn't even figure out what committees I was discussing?

That's rich.

Do you have anything other than partisan vomit to say?

And how is that relevant to anything I said?

You insult me and then utterly and completely fail to point out how ANYTHING I said was wrong.

I understand everything you have to say but your ideas are not unique - they're typical - you're labeling me as a "tin foil hat" lunatic for explaining to you the intent of Obamacare...

I understand what I have said may seem outrageous but if I told you the government is reading your emails 3 years ago you would have said "put your tin foil hat on."

I understand everything you have to say but your ideas are not unique - they're typical - you're labeling me as a "tin foil hat" lunatic for explaining to you the intent of Obamacare.

Actually, it appears you don't understand as you were unable to figure out what committees I was talking about.

I understand what I have said may seem outrageous but if I told you the government is reading your emails 3 years ago you would have said "put your tin foil hat on."

Electronic surveillance is hardly new. Also, 3 years is off. More like 2008, so 5 years. Stellar Wind was doing this under Bush.

Agreed.

Seriously, aren't there any more pressing issues they can waste their time with?

Isn't there a post office in Sheep Springs, New Mexico they can re-name?
Maybe pass an integral resolution to name a park in West Salmon Falls, Idaho after some liberal cheeseweenie?
I know!.. Pass an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT bill to name March 17th as "National Crown Roast of Pork Day!" ...oh wait...they already did that.

I was horrified to learn that Black Cat Appreciation Day was started by a private rescue group and that Congress has so far failed to declare August 17th a National Holiday. I'm also concerned that there hasn't been a new dollar coin issued in a while and that they really need to get that going. I imagine they'll come up with something the size of a quarter but will they use a black cat face on the front. And how about that cool pyramid from the dollar bill? They could put a LED light for the eyes. That way you won't confuse them with your quarters, just look for the lights.

We've been dumbing down America for a long time. We educate to the lowest denominator. A nation zombified by the flickering glow of the TV screen. As America gets dumber, we pick dumber politicians. We don't elect heros or men/women of accomplishment. We elect entertainers who dangle like puppets guided by those who made their career possible. They win advertising wars demeaning each other because they aren't reasonable men or inspirational leaders.

Add to that the American inability to see anything but black or white. So many solvable problems that require reasonable compromise and we cling to our extremes as if they were life rafts.

Can't we just split the difference and agree the Earth is 58 million years old?

i cant figure out how the ultra super minority of christians even gets put into such positions,considering if you ask almost any christian not a yec,they will simply say that the bible gives no dates or indication.

only possiblitiy would be to cause trouble and garner attention,the reasons for though i dont know.

Actually, it appears you don't understand as you were unable to figure out what committees I was talking about.

Electronic surveillance is hardly new. Also, 3 years is off. More like 2008, so 5 years. Stellar Wind was doing this under Bush.

You're lost... "electronic surveillance is hardly new" - yea that proves you're down with the ideas..

You're lost... "electronic surveillance is hardly new" - yea that proves you're down with the ideas..

To a certain degree yes. If there is a justifiable reason to tap someone's email, I don't have a problem with it. Terrorist, drug smugglers, kidnappers, that kind of stuff. Do I feel it has gotten out of hand per what Snowden released? Absolutely. But I'm not going to swing to the extreme and say it's all bad.

How does non AGW science harms republicans? Why should the whole science body influence fear upon republicans?

Earlier this week, House Republicans quietly blocked a proposal that would institute the position of science laureate of the United States. It was expected to sail by--after all, who could possibly have a problem with an honorary position that costs the taxpayers absolutely nothing, the goal of which is to promote science education? House Republicans, apparently.
In the United States, the position of laureate--the only national one of which is the poet laureate--is a largely ceremonial position. The poet laureate receives a small stipend of $35,000 a year and is given a platform to promote poetry and literature through readings, appearances, and new projects (some have promoted African diaspora poetry, some have attempted to get poetry and fiction into places like airports and waiting rooms, some have encouraged early education). The proposed science laureate would have a similar duty: Mazie Hirono, the Hawaii Democrat who co-sponsored the bill, described it as "a national role model who can encourage students to learn more about the sciences. By elevating great American scientific communicators, we can empower students--especially girls and minorities--to get excited about science." It would be an unpaid position, to be held by up to three notable American scientists.
The proposal should have passed easily. But last week, Larry Hart, a former Republican congressional aide and current representative of the American Conservative Union (the country's oldest politically conservative lobbying group), sent a letter to House Republicans claiming that this position is far from benign. Hart writes that the laureate, appointed by President Obama, "will share his view that science should serve political ends, on such issues as climate change and regulation of greenhouse gases.”
Republicans promptly pulled support for the bill, taking it off the floor schedule, meaning it may or may not ever actually see the floor again. At best, if there's pressure, it may be re-introduced in a few months. If it does, it'll face opposition from various anti-climate-change groups. Or the bill may just die.

Republicans Block Proposal For National Science Laureate, Fearing Science | Popular Science

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On surface this appear to motivated by curtailing government spending, however by looking at past behaviors, it is clear that Republicans most scary enemy is science specially fact and figures. So of course in order to prevent themselves from spiraling down the chute of irrelevancy and obscurity they have decided to attack Science from all Fronts After all less knowledge and more ignorance does seem to promote their cause and helps them keep their jobs.

It is funny how far we gone back. There use to be a time where Engineers and Scientist were revered and worshiped in this country, but now in the eyes of republicans that is called being elitist, combating ignorance with science data and fact is actually a handicapped. Phrases like "I don't have facts and figures but I believe..." is unmet with challenge or questions. Counterpoint of personal facts to contrary with fact and figures is called ambush journalism..

Country that was at the forefront of science is now lingering on periphery thanks to 30 years of republican policies and their never ending war on Science.

Diving Mullah

I agree that it is ridiculous that this piece of legislation is being obstructed. However let's not delve into hyperbole, the US is far, far, far from being on the 'periphery' of science. We remain a global leader if not the global leader.

It is not science that we fear it is religion masquerading as science, the AGW consensus is collapsing even as we speak.

Such a postion would have more to do with the political advantage the findings might yield to one side or the other than science and the government has no business - not being run by scientist or at times, apparently, sentient life forms - picking and choosing among scientist. Global warming of which the science -especially the alarmist aspect of it - is scarcely proven.

Back
Top Bottom