• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican Fear of Science [W:131]

The fact is that the US government would not have gotten to the moon without the Private sector. The fact also is that you can accomplish a few things if you don't mind if a few hundred people get killed. The US has lost about 20 people to manned space flight. The Soviets more than a hundred. There remain a lot of things probes can't do. We already have sevral commercial manned projects and a few commercial unmanned space under way with out Nasa.

Oh and fifteen times the Russian expenditure in terms of the US GDP is still chump change.

The fact is that the US government would not have gotten to the moon without the Private sector. The fact also is that you can accomplish a few things if you don't mind if a few hundred people get killed. The US has lost about 20 people to manned space flight. The Soviets more than a hundred. There remain a lot of things probes can't do. We already have sevral commercial manned projects and a few commercial unmanned space under way with out Nasa.

Oh and fifteen times the Russian expenditure in terms of the US GDP is still chump change.

When I combine this viewpoint with HOJs list of Soviet space accomplishments...

So in other words, you can do it cheaper and faster without a private sector.

Interesting.

Well...Never mind
that I build quantum devices for living

and never mind that I worked in SLAC as a RA and a engineer for few years and never mind that my thesis was radiation effect on devices. So your way of showing me your penis extender is to head to "Science Forum" and exercise your goggling ability?

And you wonder why people don't take you seriously here? HMMMM?!?!?!

ROFLMAO

Diving Mullah

Gogling ?

LOL....

Sure you build " Quantum" devices for a living but you don't even possess the cognitive aptitude to know when you're being lied to.

You don't possess the aptitude to know the difference between a lzgitimate candidatd and a media creation who was elected appealing to the least common denominator.

Sorry, no Lib Obama loving, talking point repeating parrot has the aptitutde yo

Please fill us in, what exactly are the " quantum devices" you " build to do anything more sceintific than boiling water.

And No " Gogling"...LOL !!

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

If I have an air of superiority, it might be because the entire field of biology, and all the attendant sub fields that stem from it, including Medicine, Molecular Biology, genetics, etc. have determined that Evolution is a basic fact. It's not only a fact, it's basically the entire underpinning for several branches of Biology, which bring you technology like GMO crops, surrogate noses growing on foreheads, cloned animals, etc., not to mention Geology snd Paleontology.

While being at the top of your field in Naval Science and Math is commendable, it means little when you offer up information that is patently wrong.

As a great Biologist once put it : "Nothing in Biology makes sense except in the light of Evolution".

You couldn't even grasp the fundamental root cause for the Sub-Prime Collapse.

You " air of superiority " is undeserved.

Gogling ?

LOL....

Sure you build " Quantum" devices for a living but you don't even possess the cognitive aptitude to know when you're being lied to.

You don't possess the aptitude to know the difference between a lzgitimate candidatd and a media creation who was elected appealing to the least common denominator.

Sorry, no Lib Obama loving, talking point repeating parrot has the aptitutde yo

Please fill us in, what exactly are the " quantum devices" you " build to do anything more sceintific than boiling water.

And No " Gogling"...LOL !!

lzgitimate???

candidatd???

aptitutde??

sceintific??

ROFLMAO...

That is the reason no one takes you seriously!

I couldn't make this up, even if I tried...

God...Laughing so hard I spayed cereal over the monitor....

Ah... Man that is just too funny!

Diving Mullah

When I combine this viewpoint with HOJs list of Soviet space accomplishments...

So in other words, you can do it cheaper and faster without a private sector.

Interesting.

Yes everything is cheaper with slave labor but it isn't safer...

I don't see a rational argument as to how focusing on manned space flight gets us farther than using probes to do the hard work that paves the way for manned.

Because, at this point, the problems of manned spaceflight are about engineering and propulsion.:peace

Because, at this point, the problems of manned spaceflight are about engineering and propulsion.:peace

And find proper landing sites, and food storage, and radiation, and long term survival, the list goes on and on. Much of which can be solved or tested with probes before we put lives on the line.

And find proper landing sites, and food storage, and radiation, and long term survival, the list goes on and on. Much of which can be solved or tested with probes before we put lives on the line.

None of those require probes to solve.

None of those require probes to solve.

Radiation? Really? You think we can solve that without long term tests to measure the actual damage it does without risking lives?
And you think we can find LANDING sites for manned expeditions when we just get there?

Do you hear yourself think?

Radiation? Really? You think we can solve that without long term tests to measure the actual damage it does without risking lives?
And you think we can find LANDING sites for manned expeditions when we just get there?

Do you hear yourself think?

Landing sites are already identified and radiation is a laboratory problem. There is nothing stopping a Mars mission program right now except resources.

Landing sites are already identified

But not scouted. It's one thing to drop a probe into a landing area where you don't need to setup a base. It's an entirely new matter when you're dropping humans who are going to stay there a while.

and radiation is a laboratory problem.

Are you kidding me? Are you seriously suggesting that we can replicate every form of radiation and the amounts in a lab?

Its like you type without thinking.

There is nothing stopping a Mars mission program right now except resources.

That's true, but it doesn't mean we should do it without further preparation via probes. We want the best possible chance of success. That means more preparation, partially drone based.

But not scouted. It's one thing to drop a probe into a landing area where you don't need to setup a base. It's an entirely new matter when you're dropping humans who are going to stay there a while.

Are you kidding me? Are you seriously suggesting that we can replicate every form of radiation and the amounts in a lab?

Its like you type without thinking.

That's true, but it doesn't mean we should do it without further preparation via probes. We want the best possible chance of success. That means more preparation, partially drone based.

We should have started five years ago. The mountains you see are molehills.:peace

We should have started five years ago.

You think we had the money back then for a huge project like this? Rose Colored Glasses you wear much.

The mountains you see are molehills.:peace

No, I'm just realistic. A manned Mars project was a pipe dream when Bush proposed it. It's still a pipedream now as we don't have the money, political will or have done the necessary ground work.

You think we had the money back then for a huge project like this? Rose Colored Glasses you wear much.

No, I'm just realistic. A manned Mars project was a pipe dream when Bush proposed it. It's still a pipedream now as we don't have the money, political will or have done the necessary ground work.

The NASA site is down because of the federal shutdown.

[h=3]Plans for manned mission to Mars drawn up by British team ...[/h]►►

www.telegraph.co.uk › ScienceSpace
Jul 24, 2013
“It is a similar idea for a mission to Mars – you can exploit the natural ... “In the concept we have put forward is ...More by Richard Gray - in 89 Google+ circles

That informed opinion believes a Mars program could get under way now. I cited Brits because the NASA site does not respond.

Did you understand the article?

"The mission would involve sending a three-man crew to the Red Planet in a specially designed spacecraft that would generate its own gravity."

Do you understand that to generate even remotely comparable Earth Gravity would require a massively large ship with spinning parts? The ISS cost billions and years to build and it;s pretty small. The notion that we could build a ship that could actually create artificial gravity is bat**** loony without a global program working together and pouring billions upon billions into it.

Also, did you miss the part where they emphasized unmanned missions before manned?

The article is nothing but a wish list. Not a viable program outline.

Did you understand the article?

"The mission would involve sending a three-man crew to the Red Planet in a specially designed spacecraft that would generate its own gravity."

Do you understand that to generate even remotely comparable Earth Gravity would require a massively large ship with spinning parts? The ISS cost billions and years to build and it;s pretty small. The notion that we could build a ship that could actually create artificial gravity is bat**** loony without a global program working together and pouring billions upon billions into it.

Also, did you miss the part where they emphasized unmanned missions before manned?

The article is nothing but a wish list. Not a viable program outline.

Did you read the article? The spacecraft is in two parts, tethered together; they spin on the tether. No need for great size or complexity. Unmanned missions as prep for a specific manned mission are not a problem. Not easy, but do-able.:peace

Did you read the article? The spacecraft is in two parts, tethered together; they spin on the tether.

Do you understand the necessary speed that has to occur if you trade it for bulk? And the benefit of bulk is storage space as well as radiation shielding. A relatively large mass spinning slowly can produce similar affects to a low mass spinning very quickly. I'll let you figure out the problems with their proposal: hint, there are many

No need for great size or complexity. Unmanned missions as prep for a specific manned mission are not a problem. Not easy, but do-able.:peace

Point still stands that we need to rely heavily on probes before we move to manned for a Mars mission.

Do you understand the necessary speed that has to occur if you trade it for bulk? And the benefit of bulk is storage space as well as radiation shielding. A relatively large mass spinning slowly can produce similar affects to a low mass spinning very quickly. I'll let you figure out the problems with their proposal: hint, there are many

Point still stands that we need to rely heavily on probes before we move to manned for a Mars mission.

Of course there are many problems. Big deal.:peace

1. [h=3]Armstrong spent last years fighting for human spaceflight ...[/h]usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/story/.../neil-armstrong.../1‎
    Aug 26, 2012 - Neil Armstrong spent his final years advocating a continuation of human space exploration.

2. [h=3]Testimony by Neil Armstrong: "NASA Human Space Flight Past ...[/h]www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=38493‎
    Sep 22, 2011 - Chairman Hall, Ranking Member Johnson, Members of the Committee: Thank you for giving me the opportunity to present my perspective on ...

Back
Top Bottom