• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paula Deen, the N Word and the Lawsuit [W:220]

I've never liked Paula Deen since I saw her on a Food Network Special where she sidled up to a young man, rubbing her hands over his chest and appearing to snake one hand behind him as if grabbing his ass, and told national tv what she'd like to do with him. He was young enough to be her grandson, was visibly shaken and embarrassed. Another food network celeb, don't remember who, managed to get her away from the guy, who immediately disappeared into the crowd.

That was sexual harassment, plain and simple, and I don't care if it was her birthday bash, anyone who humiliates someone in that fashion on television is a narcissistic asshole. I can't stand to even look at her since then.

I saw her last week on the Today Show and on the Rachel Ray Show I think. She seemed to act a little strange, almost like she was confused or something. I only had the TV on for background, and I didn't watch the whole segments. I was just wondering if maybe she was having some kind of senile moments or something like that.

No, but my best friend in Elementary school is (Got to see him again recently after several year).

Ah, yes. The "but I have a black friend" justification. :roll: And then you follow it up with the media justification: "They said it on television/in the movies so it's all good."

I'm white. Hell, I'm pink. I'm wondering when nigger was a good word and when did all that change? Who decided nigger was a good word? What culture decided all that? Hint: It wasn't black people.

Cultural naming is a process of social evolution for subcultural and/or ethnic groups. The process begins and continues with the dominant culture determining how the subculture or ethnic group will be named. In essence, if you haven't arrived socially, you don't get to choose what people call you. Cultural naming is often a long process.

As I said, I'm white. I grew up in the South as has my family since the 1700's. They were farmers for generations. I have a strong Southern accent. "Redneck" isn't necessarily a pejorative, but it can be. Depending on who is saying it (normally it's best if another Southerner is saying it) and how it is used, it can be compliment. On the other hand it can a very negative word. Sit in any number of country bars and juke joints down home and start calling people "redneck" and you're guaranteed to have your butt handed to you. Even with my accent I would be careful in how I use the term in some places and situations.

Tell me nigger isn't a bad word. Tell me black people call each other nigger so it's OK for white people to do it. If you aren't black you don't get to decide. It is foolish if you think otherwise. Black people can and will decide when or how or if to use that term.

It's the same with Paddy or bogtrotter or guinea or dago or wop or pollock, etc. There are plenty of places where using those words are most unacceptable. All of those terms including nigger, have been used, are still used, to hurt, to oppress or to offend. Why use a word that may be hurtful someone or may offend someone?

Nigger can be and often is a very harmful term, especially when white people use it. If black people one day decide that they'd like for everyone to refer to them as niggers, they'll let the rest of us know. One way or the other it isn't up to white people to decide. Black people have the right to decide and will decide for themselves the same as every other ethnic group or subculture.

Last edited:
I don't know if I can post it because there are a lot of cuss words. But if you get time, go to youtube and type in "Lonely Island I'm on a boat." They're comedians, and I think most of their songs are hilarious.

No I haven't. What is it?

I don't know if I can post it because there are a lot of cuss words. But if you get time, go to youtube and type in "Lonely Island I'm on a boat." They're comedians, and I think most of their songs are hilarious.

Okay. Will do. Thanks. :)

I saw her last week on the Today Show and on the Rachel Ray Show I think. She seemed to act a little strange, almost like she was confused or something. I only had the TV on for background, and I didn't watch the whole segments. I was just wondering if maybe she was having some kind of senile moments or something like that.

She's barely 60. More likely she was drunk. Seriously, I think she hits the sauce because she always acts like she's buzzed, and she has utterly no impulse control.

Ah, yes. The "but I have a black friend" justification. :roll: And then you follow it up with the media justification: "They said it on television/in the movies so it's all good."

I'm white. Hell, I'm pink. I'm wondering when nigger was a good word and when did all that change? Who decided nigger was a good word? What culture decided all that? Hint: It wasn't black people.

Cultural naming is a process of social evolution for subcultural and/or ethnic groups. The process begins and continues with the dominant culture determining how the subculture or ethnic group will be named. In essence, if you haven't arrived socially, you don't get to choose what people call you. Cultural naming is often a long process.

As I said, I'm white. I grew up in the South as has my family since the 1700's. They were farmers for generations. I have a strong Southern accent. "Redneck" isn't necessarily a pejorative, but it can be. Depending on who is saying it (normally it's best if another Southerner is saying it) and how it is used, it can be compliment. On the other hand it can a very negative word. Sit in any number of country bars and juke joints down home and start calling people "redneck" and you're guaranteed to have your butt handed to you. Even with my accent I would be careful in how I use the term in some places and situations.

Tell me nigger isn't a bad word. Tell me black people call each other nigger so it's OK for white people to do it. If you aren't black you don't get to decide. It is foolish if you think otherwise. Black people can and will decide when or how or if to use that term.

It's the same with Paddy or bogtrotter or guinea or dago or wop or pollock, etc. There are plenty of places where using those words are most unacceptable. All of those terms are more, including nigger, have been used are still used to hurt, to oppress or to offend. Why use a word that may be hurt someone or offend someone? Nigger can be and often is a very harmful term, especially when white people use it. If black people one day decide that they'd like for everyone to refer to them as niggers, they'll let the rest of us know. One way or the other it isn't up to white people to decide. Black people have the right to decide for themselves the same as every other ethnic group or subculture.

Personally, I would never use that word, and I cringe whenever I hear someone else using it too. It's just really kind of crude and uncivilized, and especially at work.

She's barely 60. More likely she was drunk. Seriously, I think she hits the sauce because she always acts like she's buzzed, and she has utterly no impulse control.

I wonder what her husband and sons are thinking when she's getting all up on some guy and groping him on television? :lol: I'd be pretty embarrassed if I was one of them too.

I hate Paula Deen, but not because of this. This lawsuit has been around for a couple of years, from what I understand. I personally think the woman is out for money because she didn't say anything when she worked for them. Only when she left.

I hate Paula Deen because she's a fake. That accent is fake and contrived, and Food Network has turned her into this skanky gramma that everyone is embarrassed by. She is far too overtly sexual to the point that the "Paula's Party" show isn't even on anymore. The accent only gets thick when the cameras are rolling. Once they are off, her accent is "normal" southern.

This is what Food Network has done to what used to be everybody's favorite gramma:

pauladeenfoodnetwork.jpgpaula-deen-240.jpg

The people in Savannah, for the most part, can't stand her because she's an embarrassment.

Her brother? I saw him once while we were having dinner in his restaurant, and he was walking around, shaking hands and taking pictures. Racial slur or not, that man knows how to grill an oyster. Best I've ever had.

I think she's awesome too! I don't think too many people know about her as she's on pretty late and on the Cooking Channel, but I think she would do really well in a better time slot.

She is so unique and makes cooking fun and interesting, that's for sure! :mrgreen:

This makes me want to go buy some of her cookbooks.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but thanks for the post just the same.

She said the word to employees and numerous other inappropriate statements regarding race to her employees, but other than that, it has nothing to do with it. :roll:

She said the word to employees and numerous other inappropriate statements regarding race to her employees, but other than that, it has nothing to do with it. :roll:

Yeah, I wasn't talking about her. I was talking about the post directly preceding mine.

Even if you didn't know that I was referring to that, would it matter? I mean, you haven't heard the word being used in normal, friendly conversation?

It's the same with Paddy or bogtrotter or guinea or dago or wop or pollock, etc. There are plenty of places where using those words are most unacceptable. All of those terms including nigger, have been used, are still used, to hurt, to oppress or to offend. Why use a word that may be hurtful someone or may offend someone?

Nigger can be and often is a very harmful term, especially when white people use it. If black people one day decide that they'd like for everyone to refer to them as niggers, they'll let the rest of us know. One way or the other it isn't up to white people to decide. Black people have the right to decide and will decide for themselves the same as every other ethnic group or subculture.

I decided to look up why it became a bad word and found 3 places that discuss that (I skip Wikipedia, it did say it was a good word) .Here are the links.

Straight Talk about the N-Word | Teaching Tolerance

Why is "Nigger" a bad word? - Debate Answers - Fanpop

http://ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/BensonGazetteNWord.pdf

By the way I live in the middle of the stat ware the more north you go the more south it gets. I will let you figure that out.

Can we be adults about this and just write nigger?

I agree, but I may just say negro in real life just to avoid trouble. I don't live in a bad area or any thing but the word nigger falls under racism and that is a vary touchy subject. It is so touchy that when I spoke out agent Obama's policy at school I was call racist back in 2008. But in their defense when the entire school was ask by a guest speaker if they like lady gaga we all said no. So it not all bad. (If I say some thing bad about something non politico I try to say something good about it to.)

I agree, but I may just say negro in real life just to avoid trouble.

WTF century are you hailing from?

I don't live in a bad area or any thing but the word nigger falls under racism and that is a vary touchy subject.

right, but we are obviously discussing the use of the word, not labeling someone a "nigger".

It is so touchy that when I spoke out agent Obama's policy at school I was call racist back in 2008. But in their defense when the entire school was ask by a guest speaker if they like lady gaga we all said no. So it not all bad. (If I say some thing bad about something non politico I try to say something good about it to.)

Celeb chef Paula Deen admits using 'N word' - CNN.com

Well, of course he does.

What this lawsuit comes down to is did Paula Deen and her brother use the N word in jokes and conversation. If so, does that constitute racism/discrimination?

So let's talk about that. Can the N word be used without racism being part of the meaning?
Eh, "nigger" can be said without racist intent or meaning, of course. That said, I would say that if you're white and own a business, saying "nigger" in any context fair game for discrimination lawsuits as it can easily be argued that the use of such words creates a hostile environment for blacks.

Site note: Did anybody else see the #paulasbestdishes tag on Twitter making fun of Paula when this story first came out? Hilarious. Examples: Massa-roni and cheese; We shall over crumb cake; Swing low sweet potato pie

Site note: Did anybody else see the #paulasbestdishes tag on Twitter making fun of Paula when this story first came out? Hilarious. Examples: Massa-roni and cheese; We shall over crumb cake; Swing low sweet potato pie

lol

If we kicked everyone to the curb that ever used a racial slur the unemployment rate would go through the roof.

She confessed, repented, and denounced racism in a public forum. Case closed.

Besides, I can't imagine anyone that would be hyper-offended not having used racial slurs themselves. He who is without sin..........................

But, come to think of it, if we DID **** can everyone who uses/used racial, gender, sexual orientation slurs, all the rap artists would be gone and we wouldn't have that stuff polluting our society anymore. Let's start there.

I might be worth thinking about.

Back
Top Bottom