• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Paula Deen, the N Word and the Lawsuit [W:220]

If we kicked everyone to the curb that ever used a racial slur the unemployment rate would go through the roof.

She confessed, repented, and denounced racism in a public forum. Case closed.

Besides, I can't imagine anyone that would be hyper-offended not having used racial slurs themselves. He who is without sin..........................

But, come to think of it, if we DID **** can everyone who uses/used racial, gender, sexual orientation slurs, all the rap artists would be gone and we wouldn't have that stuff polluting our society anymore. Let's start there.

I might be worth thinking about.
It's funny when people say "case closed" in way that shows they think they can tell other people how to feel. Sorry, dude. You don't get to determine whether the "case is closed" for anybody but yourself.

Another angry former employee going after the big money. It happens every day. This sort of thing has really diminished my respect for the legal system. Lawyers need to get at least a tiny bit of scruples. They need to take cases based on merit, not on how big the paycheck could be if they win. Do what you do and do it well. Good things will follow.

I choose not to use the word, and I flinch when others do.

That being said, quite often context defines a word. Saying you are a X is a bit different than someone is acting like a X, which to me means that in a particular instance, someone is acting out of character.

Considering what the original definition is of N*****, it doesn't necessarily pertain to one race, but is definitely derogatory.

They also said the S-word repeatedly in Blazing Saddles. Does that mean it wasn't a bad word back then?

They also used the A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,O,P,Q,R,T,U,V,W,X,Y,and Z words. Guess they couldn't find enough words that didn't require any letters to make a movie with.

They also used the A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,O,P,Q,R,T,U,V,W,X,Y,and Z words. Guess they couldn't find enough words that didn't require any letters to make a movie with.

I have to say "s-word" because the word censor here turns it to **** when I actually type it out.

Are you having trouble figuring out what teh S-word is? Perhaps if I use it in context:

somebody would have to be dumb as **** to not know what "s word" refers to.

does that help?

Celeb chef Paula Deen admits using 'N word' - CNN.com

Well, of course he does.

What this lawsuit comes down to is did Paula Deen and her brother use the N word in jokes and conversation. If so, does that constitute racism/discrimination?

So let's talk about that. Can the N word be used without racism being part of the meaning?

Ehhh....I've worked with a lot of multi-racial groups where stereotypes and generally "racist comments" where thrown around in a joking manner but the N-word was never one (at least by me). There's way too much history with the word in the US.

The way she is reported to have said it, it's offensive.

She probably has no idea why, though. I read the questioning script yesterday and she sounded like she was oblivious more than racist.

She's not the brightest bulb on the tree unless it involves stuffing her face.

I haven't seen enough of her to make an assessment, but based on the transcript, I got the impression she wasn't about to solve the Hodge conjecture.

I choose not to use the word, and I flinch when others do.

I just find that attitude silly, especially when it's being used in a legitimate context. I mean, if you were quoting someone on using kike, spic, fag, dyke, or even ****, you wouldn't use "the k/s/f/d/c word". I don't know, the idea that nigger is so taboo that we shy away from even speaking it seems silly

I just find that attitude silly, especially when it's being used in a legitimate context. I mean, if you were quoting someone on using kike, spic, fag, dyke, or even ****, you wouldn't use "the k/s/f/d/c word". I don't know, the idea that nigger is so taboo that we shy away from even speaking it seems silly

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

I don't use those words, I have no need to. There are so many words in the English language that can describe a person, or their actions, that I don't need to reach down and drag one out of the gutter to use.

To me, using it displays lack of intelligence and couth.

Just because you can say something, doesn't mean you should.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

That it's silly to treat a word in such a manner.

I don't use those words, I have no need to.

You atre in a discussion about one of them

There are so many words in the English language that can describe a person, or their actions, that I don't need to reach down and drag one out of the gutter to use.

No one writing "nigger" here is using it in such a manner. We are discussing another person's use of it.

To me, using it displays lack of intelligence and couth.

right, and someone treating a word like it's an evil hex calling down doom and destruction is rather silly.

Just because you can say something, doesn't mean you should.

I'm not sure how else I can have a serious discussion about a word and it's use. And it's rather difficult for me to take anyone seriously when they use something like "the n-word"

Paula Deen was a no-show to the Today Show this morning. Apparently, Deen called Matt Lauer personally yesterday, and asked to come on and discuss this, but she didn't show this morning. Her publicist said she was "exhausted."

Poor baby.

And it's rather difficult for me to take anyone seriously when they use something like "the n-word"
It could stop being difficult for you if you realized that other people's choices and preferences aren't about you. I doubt most, if any, people care if you "take them seriously" so, frankly, this is your problem not theirs.

I have to say "s-word" because the word censor here turns it to **** when I actually type it out.

Are you having trouble figuring out what teh S-word is? Perhaps if I use it in context:

somebody would have to be dumb as **** to not know what "s word" refers to.

does that help?

I really could care less what the S word is, there are only about 10,000 or so in the English languague and I'm sure each one offends someone somewhere.

Paula Deen was a no-show to the Today Show this morning. Apparently, Deen called Matt Lauer personally yesterday, and asked to come on and discuss this, but she didn't show this morning. Her publicist said she was "exhausted."

Poor baby.

Probably has a hangover. :mrgreen:

:lamo She does make some really good food. Fattening though.

Celeb chef Paula Deen admits using 'N word' - CNN.com

Well, of course he does.

What this lawsuit comes down to is did Paula Deen and her brother use the N word in jokes and conversation. If so, does that constitute racism/discrimination?

So let's talk about that. Can the N word be used without racism being part of the meaning?

Lets not!

I don't give a freaking flying Rats how some subhuman incapable of proper lexicon articulates or expresses him or herself. The more you talk about these people the more you validate their ignorance.

ignore her and she will vanish into irrelevance, much more befitting fate if you ask me.

Diving Mullah

I used to watch her show until I just couldn't handle it anymore. Some of her recipes are good for "special occasion" cooking. I got to a point that if I needed a recipe from her, I'd either get it online or turn down the volume :lol: .

:lamo She does make some really good food. Fattening though.

That's because she uses a lot of "butter & sugar y'all..."

A little 20yr old anecdote in relation. My father who didn't have a racist bone in his body was brought up in the old south and used the "N" word out of habit but it didn't mean anything to him as being derogative. He had a stroke and was paralyzed on his left side and we were eating dinner in a restaurant surrounded by the Bethune Cookman football team. It's an all black college in Daytona Beach and these guys were huge averaging 6'3-6'7 300lbs+. We're sitting at the table with these football players standing above us looking for seating when my dad blurts out "you remember that "N" lady today?" I dropped my head in shock, shame and utter fear and looked up seeing these football players glaring at our table. Well, my father thought I didn't hear him when I didn't answer, so he said it again much louder. I thought, "oh **** we're dead!" I peered up slightly with my hands over my face to see the same football players with big grins on their faces. I couldn't figure out how or why they didn't get pissed at my poor father who was oblivious to the whole situation? I think they knew he was an old timer who meant no harm and I was petrified.

That's because she uses a lot of "butter & sugar y'all..."

A little 20yr old anecdote in relation. My father who didn't have a racist bone in his body was brought up in the old south and used the "N" word out of habit but it didn't mean anything to him as being derogative. He had a stroke and was paralyzed on his left side and we were eating dinner in a restaurant surrounded by the Bethune Cookman football team. It's an all black college in Daytona Beach and these guys were huge averaging 6'3-6'7 300lbs+. We're sitting at the table with these football players standing above us looking for seating when my dad blurts out "you remember that "N" lady today?" I dropped my head in shock, shame and utter fear and looked up seeing these football players glaring at our table. Well, my father thought I didn't hear him when I didn't answer, so he said it again much louder. I thought, "oh **** we're dead!" I peered up slightly with my hands over my face to see the same football players with big grins on their faces. I couldn't figure out how or why they didn't get pissed at my poor father who was oblivious to the whole situation? I think they knew he was an old timer who meant no harm and I was petrified.

:rofl Sorry for laughing, but THAT is a funny story. I'm sure they knew that he meant no harm.

It could stop being difficult for you if you realized that other people's choices and preferences aren't about you.

I was clarifying my original statement for her on why I though the the use of the "n-word" was silly. And you will notice that her response was an accusation of the use here(you and I included) being akin to insulting people with it. So, yes, it was about me

I doubt most, if any, people care if you "take them seriously" so, frankly, this is your problem not theirs.

it's a silly social convention that treats people like they are incapable of distinguishing between "he called someone a nigger" and "hey, you're a nigger". I just find that silly and explained why after she needed clarification

Back
Top Bottom