• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Officer charged with 2nd-degree manslaughter in Daunte Wright killing

yep, and a veteran cop intended to take one of those alternatives
now she lost her job and faces trial for manslaughter
this should be a life lesson for anyone who is interested in becoming a law enforcement officer
make an honest mistake and it can cause you your future

Welcome to life.

yep, and a veteran cop intended to take one of those alternatives
now she lost her job and faces trial for manslaughter
this should be a life lesson for anyone who is interested in becoming a law enforcement officer
make an honest mistake and it can cause you your future
She did intend to use one of those alternatives. But she didn't use it. And now she's facing consequences for her negligence.

But your point doesn't seem to be limited to this case.

Welcome to life.
you are right
wonder why police departments are having such a difficult time recruiting qualified candidates

When is it ever OK to let any cop make a horrible mistake that resulted in the death of an innocent young man without prosecution? I don't care if she intended to taser him. She had no reason to shoot him with anything. If she did not know what was in her hand she would not be a certified policewoman. All cops know what their weapons are and how to use them.

With the exception of at least 15 officers making the same mistake in the past.

Various professions should be held to higher standards and that includes LE. Last Friday I think most people would have looked at Potter's 26 years and found it an example of a decent officer. So far I've only seen one thing show up that was in her past and that was a shooting she was not involved in but gave orders to the two officers who were.

And then came this fatal error. In that 12 seconds (from Wright breaking loose to her pulling the trigger) a lot of lives have changed. And I don't have any doubt that if we were able to ask her how she grabbed her weapon vs the taser that her answer would be: I honestly don't know.

Had she actually grabbed her taser we'd not even know of this incident. She'll have day in court and I think she'll serve time.

It seems understandable why you would be reluctant to talk about the practical and pragmatic implications of your "philosophy"

Cops that make mistakes as a matter of the course of the job are not generally personally prosecuted. You've never encountered the subject? This is all new to you and you're confused? I'm not here to teach confused people. Learn something about the subject. And you might wanna stop spazzing out.

I understand needing attention but that's maniacal.

When I think of sending someone to prison, I usually think of an offense in which they had an intention of committing an illegal act. In this case, the officer made a mistake, there was no criminal intention. Yes, she should lose her job and not be able to be a cop again, but I'm not sure that prison is warranted in this case.

Two others prior to her did time for the same error. So unless there is special circumstance, I think it's fair to receive the same penalty.

She's probably eligible for retirement with a good bit of her pension. Maybe all. I wonder if she was able to resign and keep that? Or if she's convicted, she'd lose it?

I'm not sure about if she's convicted, but resigning or being fired she still could receive all or a reduced sum.

Two others prior to her did time for the same error. So unless there is special circumstance, I think it's fair to receive the same penalty.
In what jurisdiction? Different states have differently-worded statutes. The requirement that the chance of death or serious bodily injury be consciously taken is a bar that might not be easy to clear in this situation.

If a truck driver is negligent while behind the wheel and plows into a family of four’s van, should be not be charged because the situation was a result of his duty?

Not even close and you know it. Why are you trying to be stupid? Would it hurt you to understand?

Like I'm gonna review another case because someone doesn't get it. How stupid.

Yeah, this is a bad take. They didn't give him an opportunity. He took a chance and was able to get free. The ability to successfully resist arrest at the beginning of an encounter doesn't make cops culpable for injury later on just because the subject was able to initially get away.
His ability to successfully resist arrest reflects poorly on their abilities as police officers. Her inability to distinguish a taster from a firearm, even more so.

What two others?

Johannes Mehserle was convicted and sentenced to two years, he got early release. Robert Bates (a deputy reserve) was also convicted and sentenced to four years, and also got early release.

The other cases known didn't result in death.

Noor’s actions were intentional and he had no reason to draw any kind of weapon. He made a conscious choice to wield his gun negligently and intentionally murdered that woman.
I think he was overcharged. Man-2 sounds perfectly appropriate for his actions, instead of some level of murder that he got.

In what jurisdiction? Different states have differently-worded statutes. The requirement that the chance of death or serious bodily injury be consciously taken is a bar that might not be easy to clear in this situation.

One in the bay area and the other in Tulsa.

I think he was overcharged. Man-2 sounds perfectly appropriate for his actions, instead of some level of murder that he got.

His intent was to murder her and he willfully violated every rule in the book to do it. I think he was undercharged, but he was also a test case for holding police criminally responsible under those circumstances.

Wait, the kid was charged with having an unregistered weapon. Shouldn't she be a hero to the left? She had to stop that gun toting, loophole exploiting 2nd amendment supporter.
You don't kill someone for breaking the law.

The strange thing in this is that she was a veteran, that had worked 26 years as a policeofficer. The difference in holding a taser and a gun in your hand is also quite extensive and a 9mm handgun weighs about 34 ounces and a stun gun weighs 8 ounces. . Maybe it could be believable with a rookie that experiences stress and that had no training and never seen or held a gun before, but a veteran?View attachment 67328690
Yeah, that is confusing. I do think that it was an accident, I'm buying that story, at least for now. But it seems strange that she pulled her gun and didn't realize that it was her gun before pulling the trigger. Perhaps there's a lot that goes on in the heat of the moment that would get one to overlook the obvious hallmarks of taser vs gun, but if so then it seems like they need better training so that in the heat of the moment, cops can identify the weapon they pulled.

Cops that make mistakes as a matter of the course of the job are not generally personally prosecuted. You've never encountered the subject? This is all new to you and you're confused? I'm not here to teach confused people. Learn something about the subject. And you might wanna stop spazzing out.

I understand needing attention but that's maniacal.
You must think you are replying to some other person.

Back
Top Bottom