• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Officer charged with 2nd-degree manslaughter in Daunte Wright killing

Yeah, that is confusing. I do think that it was an accident, I'm buying that story, at least for now. But it seems strange that she pulled her gun and didn't realize that it was her gun before pulling the trigger. Perhaps there's a lot that goes on in the heat of the moment that would get one to overlook the obvious hallmarks of taser vs gun, but if so then it seems like they need better training so that in the heat of the moment, cops can identify the weapon they pulled.

People expect absolute perfection from police and it’s unreasonable. There is no amount of training that can supersede our designed response of muscle memory as human beings.

Noor’s actions were intentional and he had no reason to draw any kind of weapon. He made a conscious choice to wield his gun negligently and intentionally murdered that woman.
So do you beleive that Potter's actions were not intentional? After all, all gun experts I know say that it is not way you can mistake a taser for a Glock

That depends on what laws they’re breaking.
No it does not. You only kill someone as an officer if they are threatening your life or someone else's

Tasers and guns should not be adjacent on belts. They ought to be well separated, with the taser perhaps in a pocket.- and I expect they will be from now on, at least in Minnesota.

SOP is to have the handgun on the dominant side for a standard draw, and the Tazer on the weak side for a cross draw.

If you're gonna respond to a philosophical and legal debate with that, well, you understand I'm not interested.
it was a legitimate question, we all seem to have our "opinions" but when it hits us our opinions change quickly enough.
a police officer has an even greater responsibility to "serve and protect" than average citizens, so shooting a suspect should NOT be their go to position.
but again, you are looking at this dispassionately, and then don't like it when someone suggests if it happened to someone you love that your response would be quite different.

People expect absolute perfection from police and it’s unreasonable. There is no amount of training that can supersede our designed response of muscle memory as human beings.
Then train more muscle memory, lol.
I'm not asking for absolute perfection, but when deadly force is used then there are repercussions for doing it wrong. And given the amount of violence we see from police in general it appears that overall our entire system needs to be overhauled to include education, training, and retraining.

We could call it a lack of competence if it makes you feel better.

Tom Brady throws interceptions from time to time. Would you say he "lacks competence?"

One in the bay area and the other in Tulsa.
So nothing from the jurisdiction in question? You can't apply OK or CA law to an event in MN.

it was a legitimate question, we all seem to have our "opinions" but when it hits us our opinions change quickly enough.
a police officer has an even greater responsibility to "serve and protect" than average citizens, so shooting a suspect should NOT be their go to position.
but again, you are looking at this dispassionately, and then don't like it when someone suggests if it happened to someone you love that your response would be quite different.

My position is not complex. It is the status quo. Officers are generally not personally charged with mistakes made in the line of duty. That is unless their mistake is something more than a horrible mistake.

The confusion is bs. It doesn't take a genius to see my position.

I think you have the problem. Good luck.
I know.
I could tell when you described my single question as spazzing out.

That's when I knew you were confused about me and my actions.
So, it's unsurprising to me that you think I have a problem.

I know.
I could tell when you described my single question as spazzing out.

That's when I knew you were confused about me and my actions.
So, it's unsurprising to me that you think I have a problem.

Spam bold at someone else. I don't do maniacal. There's probably a plate you can throw somewhere, perhaps that would make you feel better. But leave me alone, thanks.

Spam bold at someone else. I don't do maniacal. There's probably a plate you can throw somewhere, perhaps that would make you feel better. But leave me alone, thanks.
Why are you reluctant to discuss the practical and pragmatic implications of your "philosophical" stance?

My position is not complex. It is the status quo. Officers are generally not personally charged with mistakes made in the line of duty. That is unless their mistake is something more than a horrible mistake.

The confusion is bs.
passing it off as a mistake instead of passing it off as panic, since when do firefighters, soldiers, paramedics, doctors, nurses, AND police succumb to panic?
again, a higher standard for those who wear the uniform, and AGAIN, arguing dispassionately because it was not one of yours.
my compassion extends beyond just myself and my family.

Then train more muscle memory, lol.
I'm not asking for absolute perfection, but when deadly force is used then there are repercussions for doing it wrong. And given the amount of violence we see from police in general it appears that overall our entire system needs to be overhauled to include education, training, and retraining.

What amount of violence is that? What percentage of total encounters or arrests? And if you think it’s that easy then nobody is stopping you from submitting an application.

Why are you reluctant to discuss the practical and pragmatic implications of your "philosophical" stance?

Crazy bold spam. No thanks. Good day.

Yeah, that is confusing. I do think that it was an accident, I'm buying that story, at least for now. But it seems strange that she pulled her gun and didn't realize that it was her gun before pulling the trigger. Perhaps there's a lot that goes on in the heat of the moment that would get one to overlook the obvious hallmarks of taser vs gun, but if so then it seems like they need better training so that in the heat of the moment, cops can identify the weapon they pulled.

Something that I noticed in replaying it slowly is at the moment she steps up to try and help the other officer with the cuffs she had a receipt size paper in her right (dominant) hand. When Wright is breaking free Potter's camera shows her hands and she moves that paper to her left hand. So somewhere her mind she consciously cleared her dominant hand to reach for her weapon.

She is still holding that paper after the shooting, while her right hand (in a millisecond) is no longer holding her weapon.

So do you beleive that Potter's actions were not intentional? After all, all gun experts I know say that it is not way you can mistake a taser for a Glock

There are at least 15 other cases of it happening though. So how'd they all do it?

There are at least 15 other cases of it happening though. So how'd they all do it?
Panicked, maybe. But it is funny how an officer and get away with doing something stupid while holding a gun, but a suspect with a gun in his face is held accountable for doing something stupid and die.

Not even close and you know it. Why are you trying to be stupid? Would it hurt you to understand?

So being “on duty” while being negligent does not in any way mean the negligent person gets a pass?

So being “on duty” while being negligent does not in any way mean the negligent person gets a pass?

Your absolutism displays a lack of depth. When you gather yourself and manage to explore beyond the surface, maybe.

So nothing from the jurisdiction in question? You can't apply OK or CA law to an event in MN.

What I was offering was that in two cases of the same mistake that resulted in death, both were convicted. I'm not sure why you'd think there would be an example in the same jurisdiction on such a rare instance of mistaking a weapon and taser.

Your absolutism displays a lack of depth. When you gather yourself and manage to explore beyond the surface, maybe.

A truck driver whose duty it is to drive trucks is negligent on the job and kills someone while doing their duty.

A police officer whose duty it is to enforce the law is negligent on the job and kills someone while doing their duty.

What's the real practical difference between the two? Why should one negligence be prosecuted and the other should not?

A truck driver whose duty it is to drive trucks is negligent on the job and kills someone while doing their duty.

A police officer whose duty it is to enforce the law is negligent on the job and kills someone while doing their duty.

What's the real practical difference between the two? Why should one negligence be prosecuted and the other should not?

You keep trying to lose context, change context and apply superficial absolutes. I'm not debating against childish "debate techniques".

It doesn't take a steady adult long to see my position. It's not extreme. It's not crazy or wild or new. It's just the status quo. If the status quo sends you into a frenzy of context crises, you're not ready to discuss it.

If you have to ask, you don't understand the nature of the problem....

Back
Top Bottom