• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Officer charged with 2nd-degree manslaughter in Daunte Wright killing

It turns out that former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter is also the head of the Brooklyn Center Police Union.

That and her 26 year career debunk any claims that officer Potter didn't understand that proportionality is required whenever an officer uses force during an arrest.

Since we all know that the use of the firearm and not the taser was an accident on her part, your post is absolutely pointless.
She didn't intentionally shoot the guy dead for attempting to drive off.

You really want to dislike the Police. Why? Do you think Dumb Duante is in any way responsible for any of this?

Muscle memory. The officer should be credited for her intention to use a non-lethal weapon in a situation in which some officers would have shot him dead on purpose.
Officer should be credited for not intentionally committing murder?

Hmm...

Muscle memory. The officer should be credited for her intention to use a non-lethal weapon in a situation in which some officers would have shot him dead on purpose.
"Muscle memory". Yes, I'm familiar with that concept being a musician, but I'm not sure how that can be applied in this case. However aren't US cops supposed to wear tasers and guns on opposite sides of the body in order to avoid confusion, which is what Axon, makers of the taser, recommend. If she did as recommended then there's no excuse for confusing one with the other. If she did not...

Your hero Potter is gonna lose about a decade of her life and probably be wrecked financially from it all.

She's not "my hero", but as she is a police officer I thank her for her service and respect her.

As far as her doing prison time: personally I would doubt that, and it would be a real miscarriage of justice if she did.

I note your glee though over the prospects of prison and financial ruin of a good person that was simply trying her best to do a tough job in a tough world, and happened to make a critical error. Your glee duly noted.

"Muscle memory"! Yes, I'm familiar with that concept being a musician. However aren't US cops supposed to wear tasers and guns on opposite sides in order to avoid confusion, which is what Axon, makers of the taser, recommend. If she did as recommended then there's no excuse for confusing one with the other. If she did not...

They do wear them on opposite sides, but muscle memory kicks in during high stress and volatile situations that require quick action. If an officer has the time latitude to assess the situation and think then it wouldn’t be a problem but that wasn’t the case here.

She's not "my hero", but as she is a police officer I thank her for her service and respect her.

As far as her doing prison time: personally I would doubt that, and it would be a real miscarriage of justice if she did.

I note your glee though over the prospects of prison and financial ruin of a good person that was simply trying her best to do a tough job in a tough world, and happened to make a critical error. Your glee duly noted.

Thank you for taking notes - please add the following: I am sorry that community was under threat from a dumb asshole cop who doesn’t know a taser from her own asshole.

I’m even more sorry it cost someone’s life for everyone to find out this was happening.

Thank you for taking notes - please add the following: I am sorry that community was under threat from a dumb asshole cop who doesn’t know a taser from her own asshole.

I’m even more sorry it cost someone’s life for everyone to find out this was happening.

Meh.
Dumb Duante was the real "asshole threat to the community", he was the criminal and bad guy. He was the one robbing people and posting selfies of him holding his stacks and guns. He was the one that had already fled the Police on prior occasions than what happened here.

This is where you're getting confused see, the guy actually breaking the laws, robbing people, fleeing Police, etc, THOSE are the "threats to the community". Normal people dont care when a criminal is "threatened" by a cop, thats a cops job and thats what we pay them for.

I'll bet you STILL dont understand do you?
-sigh-

I'll put it to you this way:

If that entire area were made up of citizens that lived their lives, worked hard, and tried to do right like Officer Potter lived...it would be apretty good community no?

Now OTOH: Imagine a community made up entirely of Duantes and George Floyds.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Thats a real SHITHOLE eh? So hopefully you see my point.

Meh.
Dumb Duante was the real "asshole threat to the community", he was the criminal and bad guy. He was the one robbing people and posting selfies of him holding his stacks and guns. He was the one that had already fled the Police on prior occasions than what happened here.

This is where you're getting confused see, the guy actually breaking the laws, robbing people, fleeing Police, etc, THOSE are the "threats to the community". Normal people dont care when a criminal is "threatened" by a cop, thats a cops job and thats what we pay them for.

I'll bet you STILL dont understand do you?
-sigh-

I'll put it to you this way:

If that entire area were made up of citizens that lived their lives, worked hard, and tried to do right like Officer Potter lived...it would be apretty good community no?

Now OTOH: Imagine a community made up entirely of Duantes and George Floyds.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Thats a real SHITHOLE eh? So hopefully you see my point.

Duante is a prime example of why we shouldn’t be letting dangerous criminals out on bail.

Not negligent homicide. The situation was not created by the individual. It was created as a result of duty.

Hmm... do you share that “logic” with truck drivers?

I don't believe police negligent discharges should be criminally prosecuted. Unless it can be proven this was more than a horrible mistake.
I am for sure that she and the police structure should be civilly liable, I am less sure about criminally.

Duante is a prime example of why we shouldn’t be letting dangerous criminals out on bail.

2 bit punk gangbanger now is famous and his family will be millionaires, and a decent person ruined, and many are concerned about Duante and talking about how great it is. LOL.

Strange times we're living in. But YEAH I couldn't agree more, let some of these drug addicts out of prison so you have room for the violent ones like Dumb Duante, and keep them in there.

They do wear them on opposite sides, but muscle memory kicks in during high stress and volatile situations that require quick action. If an officer has the time latitude to assess the situation and think then it wouldn’t be a problem but that wasn’t the case here.

After 26 years, I would opine that Officer Potter has faced more stress inducing scenarios than this one. She failed miserably and will no doubt pay for her error. The entire encounter shows a lack of training or a lack of preparation. From fumbling with handcuffs while the suspects is complying to reaching for the wrong weapon, the entire episode was poorly handled. Officer Potter was a training officer, maybe she was unqualified for that as well ...🤷

The dead man was not out on bail to my reading of the reports?

No, Potter is a dumb asshole that shot and killed someone over a traffic stop. A community filled with people like that exists, it’s called Texas.

Felony conviction for invol manslaughter, no jail time. She never wears a badge again, not even as a rental cop in a shopping mall.

Yep...even a suspended sentence, 5 years, get a conviction, etc....that should be good.

The dead man was not out on bail to my reading of the reports?

He committed a violent armed robbery and was out on $100,000 bail. His bail was revoked last year for his armed encounter with police and failure to appear. He fled police in June last year while armed and he was on the lam ever since. A violent and dangerous fugitive now dead because of his own criminal behavior.

Not negligent homicide. The situation was not created by the individual. It was created as a result of duty.

If a truck driver is negligent while behind the wheel and plows into a family of four’s van, should be not be charged because the situation was a result of his duty?

He committed a violent armed robbery and was out on $100,000 bail. His bail was revoked last year for his armed encounter with police and failure to appear. He fled police in June last year while armed and he was on the lam ever since. A violent and dangerous fugitive now dead because of his own criminal behavior.
False. There was a warrant out for his arrest, but it had nothing to do with the armed robbery.

• The records said Wright was again detained but was released on bail in September.
  • Documents showed that he was due to appear in court this August. There is no evidence of outstanding warrants related to this case, meaning the police would have no reason to arrest him because of it.

2 bit punk gangbanger now is famous and his family will be millionaires, and a decent person ruined, and many are concerned about Duante and talking about how great it is. LOL.

Strange times we're living in. But YEAH I couldn't agree more, let some of these drug addicts out of prison so you have room for the violent ones like Dumb Duante, and keep them in there.
Yeah, I'm sure some believe it sucks that whites cannot just murder blacks with impunity.

Actually no. Historically, tasing someone who is in the driver's seat of a running automobile often leads to a bad outcome.

If you're gonna respond to a philosophical and legal debate with that, well, you understand I'm not interested.
It seems understandable why you would be reluctant to talk about the practical and pragmatic implications of your "philosophy"

People don't deserve to die because they have warrants. They don't deserve to die for resisting arrest. They don't deserve to die for making bad decisions. The cop screwed up, and she needs to be held accountable. Get over it.
my take from your comment is that those who have outstanding warrants but do not want to be arrested should have only to drive away, ignoring the police efforts to execute the arrest warrant
then why even issue arrest warrants if they are not to be enforced?

Congrats, you just admitted your position is the police are above the law. Extremely unwise.
the police are entitled to qualified immunity
to withdraw that will be to further deplete the pool of good candidates to serve as law enforcement officers

Sorry the law disagrees with you which is why she was charged.

Here is the law on 2nd degree manslaughter for Minnesota below. I have lined out the sections which would obviously not apply to this incident. What would remain would be the state needing prove in front of a jury (beyond a reasonable doubt) that the officer's negligence was a unreasonable and conscious act. The evidence shows that the officer clearly warned of using a taser (clearly permitted under the police policy in this incident), then called out "taser-taser-taser"---- and then after firing one shot from her sidearm, IMMEDIATELY said, "Oh shit, I just shot him" clearly indicating that she had fired the wrong weapon by accident.

This prosecution is based on THIN evidence of the officer's negligence being culpable (i.e., criminal guilt). All this represents is an overreach based on political considerations by elected officials who either wish to pander to a large portion of the electorate in that county/state, or merely kick the can down the road and put this in front of a jury who would likely accquit this officer, and thus transfer "blame" to a jury. That is NOT HOW our criminal justice system should work. This is no different than a lynching.

609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE (Minnesota)
A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or

(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or

(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or

(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.

If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it shall be an affirmative defense to criminal liability under clause (4) that the victim provoked the animal to cause the victim's death.

People don't usually intend to kill people with cars, but when they do, it's not uncommon to get a vehicular homicide charge.

Anybody who dies at the hands of another is a homicide. Just because there is a homicide does not mean there was any criminality in it. If you back over a child who suddenly ran behind your car and they died it is a homicide. States would not seek to put anyone into prison for ten years for an accidental homicide.

2nd degree manslaughter sounds about right.
Yeah, folk are upset because it wasn't a murder charge, but quite honestly, this does seem like it was an accident and that she meant to use her Tazer. I think given the situations that the use of a Tazer was justified.

We'll see if she gets convicted, this does seem to be an accident, but it was an accident that cost the life of another so there has to be repercussions for it. But I don't think this could be considered murder.

No, not maybe. There is no excuse to justify his killing, people do not deserve to die for having two misdemeanors. You demand respect for the law but you do not even have respect for human life. Pathetic.
the dead perp refused to obey the law enforcement officers' reasonable commands
had he been a good citizen and obeyed the authorities, he would be alive today
he and his stupid actions are responsible for his death
play stupid games, receive stupid prizes

Back
Top Bottom