• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Off to join the US Army

Wiseone

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So I figured I'd make this topic now since I won't be seeing the forum for the most part over the coming 6 weeks. I'm about to head off to "Warrior Forge" in Ft. Lewis Washington as the final step in my commissioning process to become an Army 2LT. I don't know if any you noticed I wasn't around as much, or even cared if you did, but I've been busy as hell preparing for all this.

So far I've got this lined up: My commissioning date is July 12th, after about a month they should have finished the evaluations, which is the point of going to Warrior Forge as there is no new training.
Assuming my evaluations are good, or if I just get lucky, I should be active duty and I should have my orders to report to Ft. Knox Kentucky for Armor BOLC (Basic Officer's Leader's Course) no later than a month or two after my evals are done, so 3 months at most I hope after my Commission date.
I also applied for a Branch detail program so my basic branch would be Military Intelligence but I would be detailed over to Armor for the first few years of my career until I hit CPT where I would then go to the Military Intelligence Career Course.

Thats the plan anyway, although I could end up anywhere for the most part, but I'm hoping my Chinese language experience, "unique" education, and maybe a change in Army policy which has been rumored will at least get me into the Intel Corps. If I don't get MI, which is what I want to be my long term career, I think I'd be happy most anywhere in the Army. I love intelligence and analysis but I love the Army just as much, so as long as I'm doing something super-hoorah Army I think I'd be happy and if not I can get out after a few years. I just hope to God I don't get stuck in the Reserves or National Guard, damn I do not want to have to go looking for a job on short notice that also runs in line with whatever bum-**** Guard unit they post me to.

But seriously I wasn't exactly the "ideal" cadet in college to say the least hehe, I'm banking a lot on that Chinese.

So I figured I'd make this topic now since I won't be seeing the forum for the most part over the coming 6 weeks. I'm about to head off to "Warrior Forge" in Ft. Lewis Washington as the final step in my commissioning process to become an Army 2LT. I don't know if any you noticed I wasn't around as much, or even cared if you did, but I've been busy as hell preparing for all this.

So far I've got this lined up: My commissioning date is July 12th, after about a month they should have finished the evaluations, which is the point of going to Warrior Forge as there is no new training.
Assuming my evaluations are good, or if I just get lucky, I should be active duty and I should have my orders to report to Ft. Knox Kentucky for Armor BOLC (Basic Officer's Leader's Course) no later than a month or two after my evals are done, so 3 months at most I hope after my Commission date.
I also applied for a Branch detail program so my basic branch would be Military Intelligence but I would be detailed over to Armor for the first few years of my career until I hit CPT where I would then go to the Military Intelligence Career Course.

Thats the plan anyway, although I could end up anywhere for the most part, but I'm hoping my Chinese language experience, "unique" education, and maybe a change in Army policy which has been rumored will at least get me into the Intel Corps. If I don't get MI, which is what I want to be my long term career, I think I'd be happy most anywhere in the Army. I love intelligence and analysis but I love the Army just as much, so as long as I'm doing something super-hoorah Army I think I'd be happy and if not I can get out after a few years. I just hope to God I don't get stuck in the Reserves or National Guard, damn I do not want to have to go looking for a job on short notice that also runs in line with whatever bum-**** Guard unit they post me to.

But seriously I wasn't exactly the "ideal" cadet in college to say the least hehe, I'm banking a lot on that Chinese.

I'm off to the Army too. I'm banking on that the six years it took for me to finish a bachelors in history and in those six years I've gained 40ibs that I will be able to join Delta Force. And I'll be fighting aliens and werewolves and wierd crap like that.

Good luck WiseOne. I hope you get the post you are seeking.

Good luck with everything, and thank you for your service.

Indeed. All I can add to the sentiments here are my own thanks. Thank you for serving in these dangerous times.

Congrats! We need good MI folks to make sense of all these tribes. Hoorah!

My son is in the army and did his Basic Training at Ft Knox last summer.
It's beautiful there, especially in the Fall (I went up for his graduation).
I think it's great what you're doing, and I wish you a safe and fulfilling stint (or career, if that's what it turns out to be) in the US army. Hooah! :mrgreen:

Thankyou Sir, I am sure you will make a fine officer. Remember to listen to your non coms and always treat your men fairly. You will gain thier trust and respect. ~ SgtRock

Thankyou Sir, I am sure you will make a fine officer. Remember to listen to your non coms and always treat your men fairly. You will gain thier trust and respect. ~ SgtRock

This brings to mind a story from when I was stationed in Germany. We were doing a skills exercise in the Black Forest. This was survival and road march and all kinds of stuff. I was driver for the XO on this camping trip and he decided we would go do the navigation course. We brought along one of the green LTs that had recently joined us. Now the nav course was setup in some hills and there were the tops of coffee cans, with 2 letters printed on them, nailed to various trees in the course. There were probably 30 coffee tin tops in the course. When we started they gave us a contour map with 4 sites marked. We were to nav to those locations and get the letters.

The XO studied the map and at my insistence I looked at the map for about 2 minutes. I studied the terrain association: first up the mountain to our right about 1000 meters, just past the trail that crisscrosses the slope. Second in the second draw below the road u-turn in the draw, by the stream, etc...

We started off down the road and the XO is running. He stops at the trailhead and waits for us and tells us we are going for the best course time. We are running along, but I hit some trouble. Frankly I am not into running up the mountain like we were Rangers or something. The green LT hangs with me. We make it up to the first coffee top to find the XO waiting. He says: "I am going to run ahead and finish". Thanks asshole.

So the green LT and I are walking the course and I tell him I checked out the terrain associations when I looked at the map and that I think we can get all the points. So we continued to navigate our way through the course and we got all the points and walked back to the start. You should have seen the XOs face when the course controllers said we got all the points!!! He accused us of lying. What a prick. He did not have the confidence of his soldiers.

Good luck Wiseone!

Good luck and thank you for your service Wiseone.

Good luck, be careful, be good.

Hey Wiseone--Good luck and I hope you land squarely in the middle of your dream career!!

You're going to be up in my neck of the woods. I'm about 15 minutes from the Ft. Lewis. The weather's been wet but if you're going to be here for 6 weeks, you're going to see some beautiful weather........and scenery. Hopefully you'll have some free days to do some exploring of the great NW.

:2wave:

Come back soon.

Thank you for your service, and best of luck. We need a little salute smilie.

doesn't anybody want to wish me luck fighting werewolves....:(

doesn't anybody want to wish me luck fighting werewolves....:(

You know what, Gray Fox? Sometimes jokes are appropriate. And sometimes they're just unnecessarily disrespectful. WiseOne is making a huge sacrifice for us. This is definitely one of these times when silly jokes aren't necessary.

Now if they were funny ..... maybe.

You know what, Gray Fox? Sometimes jokes are appropriate. And sometimes they're just unnecessarily disrespectful. WiseOne is making a huge sacrifice for us. This is definitely one of these times when silly jokes aren't necessary.

Now if they were funny ..... maybe.

Ow, women on a menstrual cycle is never a nice thing to deal with one.

Also if you want a huge sacrifice try becoming a tax payer without using taxpayers money to pay for taxes. Now that is a HUGE sacrifice.

Hooah! I'd say have fun but that's highly unlikely.
So! Have a fine tuned, detailed and tidy time!

Also if you want a huge sacrifice try becoming a tax payer without using taxpayers money to pay for taxes. Now that is a HUGE sacrifice.

I wasn't going to say anything, but Chuck isn't the only one who found your humor just a tad misplaced in this thread.

Look up Retired Army Lt.Col Ralph Peters. One of the best Intel men around.

Your post is offensive on many levels, but I'm not going to report it. If a mod happens by, they can make the call on you and me both.

I will tell you this, you ungrateful little snit, I have paid more in taxes than you are likely to earn over the next decade or two. What I paid in 1998 alone probably paid for your head start program along with a few hundred thousand of your snot nosed little buddies. So don't come at me with that tax BS. I do not expect or want your thanks for what *my* family's money has given you. You do however, owe Wiseone a debt of consideration and gratitude for what he's doing for you.

Take that along with your silver bullets to hunt warewolves.

Your post is offensive on many levels, but I'm not going to report it. If a mod happens by, they can make the call on you and me both.

I will tell you this, you ungrateful little snit, I have paid more in taxes than you are likely to earn over the next decade or two. What I paid in 1998 alone probably paid for your head start program along with a few hundred thousand of your snot nosed little buddies. So don't come at me with that tax BS. I do not expect or want your thanks for what *my* family's money has given you. You do however, owe Wiseone a debt of consideration and gratitude for what he's doing for you.

Take that along with your silver bullets to hunt warewolves.
well that is just bs.

Back
Top Bottom