• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ObamaCare cost is too unbearable [W:271]

cabse5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
IMO, the goal of ObamaCare which is to give every American health care insurance is a noble goal...

Yeah, ObamaCare will increase the cost of health care so that's not a good thing...

The problem with ObamaCare is the cost of health care insurance to all Americans. If the gov't could just 'eat' the cost of healthcare insurance (ObamaCare), then ObamaCare would be like many other entitlement programs the gov't has created. Then more Americans would be for ObamaCare.

Last edited:

Tigger

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Re: ObamaCare cost is too unbearable

If the gov't could just 'eat' the cost of healthcare insurance (ObamaCare), then ObamaCare would be like many other entitlement programs the gov't has created. Then more Americans would be for ObamaCare.

Not necessarily. Many of us dislike the idea of the Government being involved in our healthcare at ANY level.

TheNextEra

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

Not necessarily. Many of us dislike the idea of the Government being involved in our healthcare at ANY level.

Yeah right Tigger. You yourself have advocated the government be involved in moral issues that YOU agree with.

BmanMcfly

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
ObamaCare cost is too unbearable

IMO, the goal of ObamaCare which is to give every American health care insurance is a noble goal...

Yeah, ObamaCare will increase the cost of health care so that's not a good thing...

The problem with ObamaCare is the cost of health care insurance to all Americans. If the gov't could just 'eat' the cost of healthcare insurance (ObamaCare), then ObamaCare would be like many other entitlement programs the gov't has created. Then more Americans would be for ObamaCare.

That was the point of Obama/Romney care.

Tigger

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative

Yeah right Tigger. You yourself have advocated the government be involved in moral issues that YOU agree with.

True. Very true and I won't deny it. I didn't say there weren't moral isues that the Government has every right, and in fact responsibility, to be involved in. What I said is that there is no legitimate Constitutional backing for the Government to be involved in healthcare. I have never had anyone show me the specific point in Article I, Section 8 that gives them that authority.

cabse5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

True. Very true and I won't deny it. I didn't say there weren't moral isues that the Government has every right, and in fact responsibility, to be involved in. What I said is that there is no legitimate Constitutional backing for the Government to be involved in healthcare. I have never had anyone show me the specific point in Article I, Section 8 that gives them that authority.
The SCOTUS said there's this ability by Congress to tax and that's what, in the SCOTUS's mind, legitimized ObamaCare.

As I've OPed, the tax is just too high.

Linc

NIMBY
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

If it's too high in your mind, wouldn't you negotiate it?
The SCOTUS said there's this ability by Congress to tax and that's what, in the SCOTUS's mind, legitimized ObamaCare.

As I've OPed, the tax is just too high.

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

That would be single payer in essence, which works well in some countries but has its problems. The question is whether or not Americans are willing to put up with the problems. If you want to know what that would be like think about getting medical care through the VA system. It would be pretty similar. It has its good and bad points.

cabse5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

If it's too high in your mind, wouldn't you negotiate it?

Yeah, if it's important enough, I'd negotiate.

specklebang

Discount Philosopher
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

I'm too old to have a cat in the race but I just now went to the NV Exchange and it would cost me if I was 64 (but I'm 70, shhhh, don't tell anybody) and my income was $45,000 (decent guess)

Calculate Premiums
The % of my annual income that the plan premium will cost:
9.49%
Maximum monthly premium for me and/or my family*:
$356.25
*The approved rates may be less expensive for certain individuals depending on age and location. Approved 2014 Unsubsidized Rates

So, is that high, low or normal? Anybody know?

Captain America

Jedi Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

So far, in my world, Obamacare hasn't caused me any harm or helped me in any way, that I can see.

Has anyone in here been hit by or blessed by Obamacare yet? How has it affected you guys so far?

cabse5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

As more and more businesses move workers to part time (because of the penalties of ObamaCare), the gov't will be handling more and more healthcare insurance needs. Companies won't be forced to change their health care insurance, they'll just put more workers on part time and the workers will have no health care insurance - except gov't health care insurance.

Last edited:

winston53660

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

So far, in my world, Obamacare hasn't caused me any harm or helped me in any way, that I can see.

Has anyone in here been hit by or blessed by Obamacare yet? How has it affected you guys so far?

It looks like my premiums will go down

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

As more and more businesses move workers to part time (because of ObamaCare), the gov't will be handling more and more healthcare insurance needs. Companies won't be forced to change their health care insurance, they'll just put more workers on part time and they'll have no health care insurance - except gov't health care insurance.

So you're saying Americans are going to have to get used to not having medical insurance, and business will hold them hostage to make sure they do.

Sound like we need something more radical than Obamacare -- maybe like single payer. It appears our system of for-profit HC insurance is so dysfunctional it won't even pretend to provide health care, if wealthy people have any say in it.

JayGatsby

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Yeah too bad there wasn't health insurance in 1788... then we could of maybe had a specific answer to the Constitutionality of government run health care. I think the ACA would work if the healthiest of us would get insurance. Without this individual mandate I'm worried the law will fail.

Captain America

Jedi Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

I'm too old to have a cat in the race but I just now went to the NV Exchange and it would cost me if I was 64 (but I'm 70, shhhh, don't tell anybody) and my income was $45,000 (decent guess)

Calculate Premiums
The % of my annual income that the plan premium will cost:
9.49%
Maximum monthly premium for me and/or my family*:
$356.25
*The approved rates may be less expensive for certain individuals depending on age and location. Approved 2014 Unsubsidized Rates

So, is that high, low or normal? Anybody know?

Well, we carry our health/dental insurance through my wife's work. She makes just shy of 50k. We, (there are two of us covered,) have a 1000.00 deductible. And a 10.00 co-pay on medicine. Aside from dental check ups, we rarely, if ever, use our health insurance, (but you never know when you might need it.) They take around 400.00 a month out of her check. I guess her employer pays the rest, whatever amount that is.

So, if you can get decent health insurance, for 2, for 356.25 a month, with no employer participation, I'd say you're getting a darn good deal.

Maybe that's why the insurance companies are pushing so hard against the ACA. Looks like the citizens may be getting the good deal while they stand to not make the obscene profits they have become accustomed to. Perhaps that is why the GOP is fighting so hard against it too. I really don't know.

Time will tell.

BmanMcfly

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
ObamaCare cost is too unbearable

Well, we carry our health/dental insurance through my wife's work. She makes just shy of 50k. We, (there are two of us covered,) have a 1000.00 deductible. And a 10.00 co-pay on medicine. Aside from dental check ups, we rarely, if ever, use our health insurance, (but you never know when you might need it.) They take around 400.00 a month out of her check. I guess her employer pays the rest, whatever amount that is.

So, if you can get decent health insurance, for 2, for 356.25 a month, with no employer participation, I'd say you're getting a darn good deal.

Maybe that's why the insurance companies are pushing so hard against the ACA. Looks like the citizens may be getting the good deal while they stand to not make the obscene profits they have become accustomed to. Perhaps that is why the GOP is fighting so hard against it too. I really don't know.

Time will tell.

That will be "round 1". Then in "round 2" the argument will be made that the money is running out and then "rationing" of care will begin.

specklebang

Discount Philosopher
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Time will tell.

My quote was for one, not two. I'm hoping at least one person on DP will actually utilize the exchange and tell us if their costs went up or down. I have no frame of reference since, while Medicare plans have gone up a lot, they are still a better deal than that.

On Medicare, I pay the USG $103 and Aetna $69. So my base plan is $172. My co-pays are $20 and $50. Medicine coverage sucks as most things aren't covered but if they are, I think it's $7.

I assumed that with all this animosity towards Obamacare that everyone here would have actually checked the pricing and could easily answer this valid question.

Now, I wonder if its all just Obama-bashing and nobody actually cares what the cost really is. That's pretty lame.

Mycroft

Genius is where you find it.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

My problem with Obamacare is:

1. I will never accept the government requiring everyone to buy a product...even if they don't want to buy it. That would be the mandate. Regardless Obama & Co's tactics of calling the result if you don't buy it a penalty or a tax, the end result is that you either fall in line with the demands of the government or they take your money.

2. Obamacare is chock full of additional taxes, penalties and fees for various businesses...all of which roll downhill and will be paid for by everyone...rich, middle or poor. This is increased money for the government. I think the government is spending way too much money already. Heck, they don't even HAVE the money they are spending. They have to borrow it...and borrow more and more every year. The proper course would be to reduce spending as much as possible and then raise taxes if they can't reduce it enough. But continuing spending...increasing spending...and then increasing the cost of government while not being honest enough to tell the people that you ARE taking more of their money is just plain wrong.

3. The reason health insurance costs...and the costs of health care, in general...have risen over the decades is solely the result of increased government intervention in the health care industry. And yet, some people continue to think that more government intervention is the solution. Government is not the solution...government is the problem. (I think another man...much wiser than me...said as much some years ago)

Captain America

Jedi Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

My quote was for one, not two. I'm hoping at least one person on DP will actually utilize the exchange and tell us if their costs went up or down. I have no frame of reference since, while Medicare plans have gone up a lot, they are still a better deal than that.

On Medicare, I pay the USG $103 and Aetna $69. So my base plan is $172. My co-pays are $20 and $50. Medicine coverage sucks as most things aren't covered but if they are, I think it's $7.

I assumed that with all this animosity towards Obamacare that everyone here would have actually checked the pricing and could easily answer this valid question.

Now, I wonder if its all just Obama-bashing and nobody actually cares what the cost really is. That's pretty lame.

Well, it has been clear to me for a long time that it's mostly Obama bashing since most folks bashing it don't seem to know their ass from third base when discussing the pros or cons of the bill. Also, it's telling that more people hate Obamacare than hate the ACA. LOL! But, on the other hand, some applauding the ACA do it blindly for their support for Obama because they don't know any more about it than anyone else. I dunno.

I know that our county is looking at allowing the county employees to go through the exchanges as it appears they will offer better for less. Maybe that is WHY the GOP is so dead set against it. It favors the middle class at the expense of upper class profits. When have you ever known the "trickle down," :roll: GOP to support the middle class over the rich? They are always for the big corporations and big government. Democrats aren't much better, really. But I think the ACA, or Obamacare if you prefer, is taking a bite out of our professional politician's pockets. It's no wonder they are working so hard to persuade us to hate it.

GottaGo

Rock and a hard place
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Besides adding several hours a week to my work load administratively, so besides keeping track of employees hours, creating reports for the government to make sure we're not violating any of the coverage rules, giving them a list of employees currently covered, versus those who do not qualify based on hours worked, or because they currently fall into a class that is not covered by our insurance plan, reporting premiums paid so the government can decide if we are paying too much or not enough, preparing to submit our coverage documents, answering the dozen or so questions per day from employees regarding what their premium will be, or if they are eligible for company insurance or must go to the exchanges, I'd say the ACA hasn't had an impact on my life. ;)

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Besides adding several hours a week to my work load administratively, so besides keeping track of employees hours, creating reports for the government to make sure we're not violating any of the coverage rules, giving them a list of employees currently covered, versus those who do not qualify based on hours worked, or because they currently fall into a class that is not covered by our insurance plan, reporting premiums paid so the government can decide if we are paying too much or not enough, preparing to submit our coverage documents, answering the dozen or so questions per day from employees regarding what their premium will be, or if they are eligible for company insurance or must go to the exchanges, I'd say the ACA hasn't had an impact on my life. ;)

Hmm, I wonder if there is any upside for employers in having employees covered by health insurance who formerly weren't?

I'm sure if there were any, economists would have discovered them long ago.

Painter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Your paying more by having everyone go to the emergency room and not pay their bills.
However it works out, cheaper or more expensive, you opponents are simply not giving that enough weight.
Your already paying for them to have substandard care at the highest possible price.

AlabamaPaul

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Your paying more by having everyone go to the emergency room and not pay their bills.
However it works out, cheaper or more expensive, you opponents are simply not giving that enough weight.
Your already paying for them to have substandard care at the highest possible price.

How many individuals that use the ER now do you think will be able to afford their co-pays or even attempt to do so?

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

How many individuals that use the ER now do you think will be able to afford their co-pays or even attempt to do so?

Most. The subsidies are quite generous, as you can see for yourself by going to any online exchange. Low income people can get a decent health care policy that not only affordable, but that gets them into a normal primary care medical system, rather than getting their primary care through ER -- the most expensive way of doing it on the planet.

Top Bottom