• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No S.S. increase again!!!!

Whatever.. I will help support my parents and make sure that it won't cost you a penny since you are so concerned about your money and where it goes. I wish you were more concerned about how the Obama spends your money.

again, you make NO sense
why would one NOT be concerned about their own money and how it is spent
what makes you think i am not concerned about how Obama and any other politician would spend our tax dollars when i have repeatedly noted that it is a wise thing that they have not chosen to (borrow and) spend more money to make the social security check to your parents larger, when the facts show such an increased payment is unwarranted
but do take care of your parents and stop whining that the government is not doing more for them, despite there being no justification to do so ... within a program of which you so vehemently object

My grocery bill has gone up, but so has my jeans size. I think there might be a connection. :)

I bet you are still lovely even with a larger jean size.

As you note by my post, even I couldn't believe the numbers. So I double-checked. I'd accidentally picked off that $28,000 figure from what he's paid into Medicare. My VERY bad. Actually, the numbers are as follows:

Total employer/employee contributions = $119,499. (Triple oops.)
A $120,000 12.8-year annuity at 10% in the real world would provide him with a monthly income of $1290 rather than the $2020 he'll receive. That makes more sense. Excuse my SNAFU.

While it's "closer," one can easily see why the system is destined to be bankrupt.

As to a source for my post, Wash, here's the Annuity Calculator. Annuity Calculator

No offense but I think you are still looking at the wrong number. In order to collect a less but similar amount the person would have had to earn on the 60K range for 35 years that he worked. I know that the rates have changed over the years, but at current rates between himself and his employer they would had to contribute about 10K. Also remember the great word compounding. That means the money invested 35 years ago assuming 5% interest the money from then would have compunded to be worth approximately 5X.

No offense but I think you are still looking at the wrong number. In order to collect a less but similar amount the person would have had to earn on the 60K range for 35 years that he worked. I know that the rates have changed over the years, but at current rates between himself and his employer they would had to contribute about 10K. Also remember the great word compounding. That means the money invested 35 years ago assuming 5% interest the money from then would have compunded to be worth approximately 5X.

If that had actually happened, you'd have a point but it didn't.
The money was/is spent as "pay as you go" not invested into anything.
That requires higher taxes to make up for all the short falls.

If that had actually happened, you'd have a point but it didn't.
The money was/is spent as "pay as you go" not invested into anything.
That requires higher taxes to make up for all the short falls.

Currently as you may know there are bonds that draw interest issued to social security. Regardless, when people talk of social security as some type of entitlement I have to disagree. If congress wants to say that, then eliminate the seperate tax and just have one all inclusive rate.

People in this administration who are intent in stealing the funds set aside lie and most people believe it.

Currently as you may know there are bonds that draw interest issued to social security. Regardless, when people talk of social security as some type of entitlement I have to disagree. If congress wants to say that, then eliminate the seperate tax and just have one all inclusive rate.

People in this administration who are intent in stealing the funds set aside lie and most people believe it.

The bonds are non marketable bonds, meaning that they have no value outside of government money transfers.
It is a farce, because taxes can be raised or benefits lowered, based on whether or not the system is adequately funded.

Well, I looked it up again. ;-) Here's the deal.

Tom's contribution is $64,123
His employers contributed $55,387 (Tom's been self-employed which would account for the spread.)
He paid $14,951 in Medicare taxes.
His employers paid $12,890 in Medicare taxes.

Retiring at 66, his full retirement age, will get him $2020/month
If he waits 'til age 70, he'd get $2667

He's 65 right now and this is his latest statement. Good as gold. ;-)

Appreciate that you didn't jump on my ***!!!

The bonds are non marketable bonds, meaning that they have no value outside of government money transfers.
It is a farce, because taxes can be raised or benefits lowered, based on whether or not the system is adequately funded.

I understand that. It has to be the greatest ripoff in the history of Ponzi schemes.

Well, I looked it up again. ;-) Here's the deal.

Tom's contribution is $64,123
His employers contributed $55,387 (Tom's been self-employed which would account for the spread.)
He paid $14,951 in Medicare taxes.
His employers paid $12,890 in Medicare taxes.

Retiring at 66, his full retirement age, will get him $2020/month
If he waits 'til age 70, he'd get $2667

He's 65 right now and this is his latest statement. Good as gold. ;-)

Appreciate that you didn't jump on my ***!!!

During this chat I looked at the payment chart from social security. I am no expert here but it looks like an average salary in the 20-30K range. If that is the case then you may want to check again but the payout looks to be about half og that. Now I think I was looking a people who started collecting at 65 not 70 whild change things a bit.

During this chat I looked at the payment chart from social security. I am no expert here but it looks like an average salary in the 20-30K range. If that is the case then you may want to check again but the payout looks to be about half og that. Now I think I was looking a people who started collecting at 65 not 70 whild change things a bit.

Not to waste time on this, but this is the official statement from Social Security for 2010, reflecting earnings through 2009. You may get one yourself....I think everyone does. I don't know how you came up with the salary range. Remember, SS hasn't always had as high a contribution.

Not to waste time on this, but this is the official statement from Social Security for 2010, reflecting earnings through 2009. You may get one yourself....I think everyone does. I don't know how you came up with the salary range. Remember, SS hasn't always had as high a contribution.

They fail to send me one every year, kinda annoying.
Last I checked, if I become disabled I get $800ish a month, what a rip. :doh

OK if you have the report can't argue with that.

again, you make NO sense
why would one NOT be concerned about their own money and how it is spent
what makes you think i am not concerned about how Obama and any other politician would spend our tax dollars when i have repeatedly noted that it is a wise thing that they have not chosen to (borrow and) spend more money to make the social security check to your parents larger, when the facts show such an increased payment is unwarranted
but do take care of your parents and stop whining that the government is not doing more for them, despite there being no justification to do so ... within a program of which you so vehemently object

Let me tell you something. We Apaches take care of our own, we always have and always will, this goes back a couple of centuries if you are familiar with history. We like to be independent, we don't die in hospitals and cost the government a lot of money, old people die at home and being taken care of and we don't whine. I have enough money to provide for them and take care of them. I was also complaining about other old people who are struggling, my parenst are not struggling thank God, and if it ever happens (which I doubt) I am able to support them.
There's so much mispent and wasteful money and unaccounted for that it could help a lot of needy people (not my parents) here in this country, that's my point.
If you want to preach, go in front of the Senate and the House and preach to them since they need it more than I do.

Let me tell you something. We Apaches take care of our own, we always have and always will, this goes back a couple of centuries if you are familiar with history. We like to be independent, we don't die in hospitals and cost the government a lot of money, old people die at home and being taken care of and we don't whine. I have enough money to provide for them and take care of them. I was also complaining about other old people who are struggling, my parenst are not struggling thank God, and if it ever happens (which I doubt) I am able to support them.
There's so much mispent and wasteful money and unaccounted for that it could help a lot of needy people (not my parents) here in this country, that's my point.
If you want to preach, go in front of the Senate and the House and preach to them since they need it more than I do.

The money to pay for old people has to come from somewhere. If you want to give them more money, you can either raise taxes or cut the military to pay for it, there are no other options. So which is it going to be?

now let's look at the OP and see what you actually whined about:
Government Expected to Nix Cost-of-Living Increase for Social Security Again - FoxNews.com

Thanks to the Obama Admin. and their huge spending my parents won't get an increase in their Social Security again this year and Obama can't comprehend why the American people is so upset with him.

I don't know about you but I just can't wait till Nov. to get these kleptocrats out of office!!

notice how you complained that Obama is not spending additional federal money to support your parents ... for which there is no basis to increase that federal expenditure

notice how you did say those things in the first post that in the last post you insisted you did not say. not a good debating technique

Last edited:
The money to pay for old people has to come from somewhere. If you want to give them more money, you can either raise taxes or cut the military to pay for it, there are no other options. So which is it going to be?

there are lots of other things to cut. there are also different ways to structure paying; vouchers, for example, which would reduce costs.

there are lots of other things to cut. there are also different ways to structure paying; vouchers, for example, which would reduce costs.

No you can't. We are 1.4 trillion dollars in the hole. If you can't touch medicare,Medicaid, social security, the military or raise taxes, there simply isn't enough left to cut. If you add up all those programs up, along with the interest on the national debt, that is more than our tax revenues. Even cutting every other program in existence down to 0% wouldn't be enough. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

I don't see anything wrong with the concept. If you want to do away with SS then provide a solution to assist those who are trying to survive in their later years. Not everyone can afford to live on what they have saved, pay for the increasing medical costs that arise, etc. Corporations, Medical Institutions, etc. will still find ways to utilize any funds that might be magically saved by such a change. Perhaps you would suggest that those you cannot afford to do so should be eliminated for economic expediency. Would that not fall under the guise of true capitalism--only the strong should survive. Give me a solution before you alter the system. I'm not saying changes don't need to be made. But from my perspective other solutions would be better. Verification of the types and amounts of expenses by hospitals and doctors, means requirements, age changes. It should also be noted that once the baby boomers begin to decline the number of people paying into the system vs. the number of payouts will increase. We saw this problem coming years ago. However, neither the politicians or American people did not have the moral or political courage required to make the changes neccessary to correct the problem. Every one wanted their piece of the pie and did not/ do not want to risk not be elected/re-elected. The American people also have to assume part of the problem.

now let's look at the OP and see what you actually whined about:

notice how you complained that Obama is not spending additional federal money to support your parents ... for which there is no basis to increase that federal expenditure

notice how you did say those things in the first post that in the last post you insisted you did not say. not a good debating technique

You are using the wrong word, is not whining is.. COMPLAINING.
Babies whine and grown ups complain. I suggest you brush up on your own language my friend.
But I understand why you cowardly use that word here in this forum. I am sure that you wouldn't use it if you really knew me in person, you would have second thoughts about it.

Babies whine and grown ups complain. I suggest you brush up on your own language my friend.
But I understand why you cowardly use that word here in this forum. I am sure that you wouldn't use it if you really knew me in person, you would have second thoughts about it.

I have seen grownups whine. Its pathetic, but there is nothing that happens after one is 18 that prevents whining.

Crazy idea: instead of debating semantics, discuss the content of what he actually said.

I have seen grownups whine. Its pathetic, but there is nothing that happens after one is 18 that prevents whining.

I am also whining about your dad and mom who will not get a raise in his SS.

Back
Top Bottom