• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No S.S. increase again!!!!

SS was never meant to be the primary source of retirement income.

That's kind of a BS statement....Whether or not it was intended as a "primary source of retirement income" or not. That's how it is and has been perceived since inception. From my view point it was intended to aid/provide those who at the ripe old age of 65 had no retirement income with a minimal means to survive. And there are those out there that, due to circumstances (death, illness, education, physical and mental defects....etc) have not had the opportunity/ability to save and plan for retirement. They have to simply rely on SS.

I went thru my check book looking at what was spent at the grocery store alone for the first 9 months of 2010 vs 2009 and my family spending is up 11% for 2010, and for the years 2009 vs 2008, my family spending was up 7%. Now I realize that my number aren't totally accurate, but they're at least as accurate as anything posted by our Government (or posted on here). My expense's for utilities have grown steady at about 5% a year from 2008 to 2010.

This has not effected me much, but you take those elderly folks (particularly) single woman and some invalids that are force to survive on SS alone....a 11% jump in prices at the grocery store is major.

SS cola should be based on actual cost increase in necessities (food, lodging, utilities and health care) and gross personal income. And of course we have to actually attempt to get the abusers off SS, i.e. drug addicts, alcoholics, foreign nationals for which SS was never intended.......

Last edited:
Government Expected to Nix Cost-of-Living Increase for Social Security Again - FoxNews.com

Thanks to the Obama Admin. and their huge spending my parents won't get an increase in their Social Security again this year and Obama can't comprehend why the American people is so upset with him.

I don't know about you but I just can't wait till Nov. to get these kleptocrats out of office!!

no raise has absolutely nothing to do with obama. and anyway, i'm sure your parents don't need it. after all, they saved plenty of money, right?

if you work you should get a COLA that's what im saying. all of us. including SS recipients who live on a limited income

i see, so raises shouldn't be based on merit?

Actually, compared to last year, prices are pretty close to the same. That is why there is no COLA this year, because prices are pretty much the same overall.

By the way, did you know that the last SS COLA(2009) was the largest in 27 years, and well over the actual cost of living increase(less than 1 % increase in CPI, 5.9 % COLA)? Source: FACT CHECK: How much pain from COLA freeze? - Yahoo! News

how's the unemployment up there in Michigan ??? so everyone there is happy without a job huh??? your kiddin you. 1% is what Osama told you. and you are obligated to believe him. got it.
the fact is there is no COLA because he broke the bank. we're flat busted. democraps don't solve problems. they throw $$$ at it. always have always will. and because of them you are living in a 3rd world sewer country. congrads.

THE REVOLUTION STARTS NEXT MONTH !!!!

another display of economic/political ignorance:
... democraps don't solve problems. they throw $$$ at it. always have always will. and because of them you are living in a 3rd world sewer country ...
whining that democrats spend too much money while also whining that the democrat in the white house has not authorized an increase in federal expenditures
do the math

I'm not really sure how anyone can say that cost of living is more expensive this year than last or two or three years ago. I've been seeing great deals all over the place from people trying to sell stuff or for people trying to get jobs. I just bought a house and had four gigantic trees cut down for next to nothing, got a great deal on the house since it's been on the market for a year, bought all new appliances super cheap as the best buy around here are running great deals, plus we installed some solar attic fans and a new hot water heater and are getting alot of the money back on rebates from the fed and state on our taxes. Other than that, I haven't seen any food cost increases, gas hasn't gone up, they're having great deals on cars all over, rent and leasing rates are going down around here etc.

The plundering of Social Security began a long time ago. Almost every government of both parties has participated or stood by while it happened. There's plenty of blame to go around for the broken and nearly bankrupt system.

It's going to take a lot of work to keep SS from breaking the US economy in decades to come, and a lot of hard decisions. No COLA this year is a triviality in comparison.

Not sure what you mean when saying that social security is going to bankrupt the country. Think of social security as an annuity you PAY for. People retiring now paid into a system and in fact prepaid a lot of money, something like $5 trillion. That money was supposed to be set asise. You may remember Gore talking about a lock box that everyone derided.

This over or pre funding will be used as appropriate. To say that paying money their money back is going to break the country is like saying that insurance companies paying off their policyholders as appropriate will bankrupt the company.

By not ackowledging the debt held by the Federal government, they seem to be creating by far the largest theft in world history.

how's the unemployment up there in Michigan ??? so everyone there is happy without a job huh??? your kiddin you. 1% is what Osama told you. and you are obligated to believe him. got it.
the fact is there is no COLA because he broke the bank. we're flat busted. democraps don't solve problems. they throw $$$ at it. always have always will. and because of them you are living in a 3rd world sewer country. congrads.

THE REVOLUTION STARTS NEXT MONTH !!!!

Unemployment has about nothing to do with CPI. CPI is figured by BLS. You have shown no evidence to back what you are saying, you are just ranting, and kinda randomly.

whining that democrats spend too much money while also whining that the democrat in the white house has not authorized an increase in federal expenditures
do the math

Everybody favors lower government savings, except for on the programs that they like

Haven't you been arguing for increased spending for this whole thread?

only for the poor and needy. and seniors who have to rob banks and pharmacies to survive. not your problem right???

and the young today??? in the same boat

only for the poor and needy. and seniors who have to rob banks and pharmacies to survive. not your problem right???

and the young today??? in the same boat

So do you support the goverment spending money to provide healthcare to the poor, needy, and seniors?

Context is important.

From the story,

Basically, there is no reason to give a COLA increase.

They announced last year there would be no SS increase this year.............My question to you is how could they know there would not be a cost of living increase a head of time........The FY runds from 1 Oct theu 30 Sept that is when they would no....Not last year..............

They announced last year there would be no SS increase this year.............My question to you is how could they know there would not be a cost of living increase a head of time........The FY runds from 1 Oct theu 30 Sept that is when they would no....Not last year..............

No they did not Navy, they announced that there would be no COLA last year. This year, they are announcing no COLA this year. Last COLA was 2009, and oversized.

Unemployment has about nothing to do with CPI. CPI is figured by BLS. You have shown no evidence to back what you are saying, you are just ranting, and kinda randomly.

You have shown no evidence to back what you are saying, you are just ranting, and kinda randomly

I'm not really sure how anyone can say that cost of living is more expensive this year than last or two or three years ago. I've been seeing great deals all over the place from people trying to sell stuff or for people trying to get jobs. I just bought a house and had four gigantic trees cut down for next to nothing, got a great deal on the house since it's been on the market for a year, bought all new appliances super cheap as the best buy around here are running great deals, plus we installed some solar attic fans and a new hot water heater and are getting alot of the money back on rebates from the fed and state on our taxes. Other than that, I haven't seen any food cost increases, gas hasn't gone up, they're having great deals on cars all over, rent and leasing rates are going down around here etc.

did your state vote for Osama???

no raise has absolutely nothing to do with obama. and anyway, i'm sure your parents don't need it. after all, they saved plenty of money, right?

Hussein Obama is responsible for nothing...He is the teflon president.........everything bounces off him.....

do the math

the math. a 1.3 trillion deficit. that sit ok with you???

You have shown no evidence to back what you are saying, you are just ranting, and kinda randomly

Actually I sourced my claim, something you have singularly failed to do. Are you denying that the CPI has not increased in the last year? Are you denying that SS COLA is tied to CPI? DO you have any data that the CPI is wrong you can present? That is how we work around here, if you make claims, you are expected to be able to back them up with more than "because I said so".

No they did not Navy, they announced that there would be no COLA last year. This year, they are announcing no COLA this year. Last COLA was 2009, and oversized.

They announced there would be no increase for last year or this year in Oct 2009.............Don't make it up as you go Redress............I know it affects me and I keep up with it..........

Actually I sourced my claim, something you have singularly failed to do. Are you denying that the CPI has not increased in the last year? Are you denying that SS COLA is tied to CPI? DO you have any data that the CPI is wrong you can present? That is how we work around here, if you make claims, you are expected to be able to back them up with more than "because I said so".

you have back up nothing. your souce was what??? yahoo............

Anyone that thinks the cost of living did not go up this year should check my grocery bill..................

Back
Top Bottom