• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mask Mandates Don't Work

Game theory means two actors will have larger chances to succeed if they work together. Does one person taking precautions while another does not have a better chance at stopping the spread of covid, than 2 taking the same precautions?

Lmao, this is embarrassing. Arent you supposed to be the "gods" exist unless otherwise proven guy?

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about
A theory is a theory is a theory. With Covid, there are considerations which aren't related to science. Sure, if we listened to the health care experts we would lock everything down up to and including grocery stores. All they care about is saving lives. We could just have the world stay locked down until there are zero cases left and then reopen back up. That is their only consideration. They are scientists. They don't care about the economic devastation. They don't care how many lives are ruined, as long as no one dies from Covid. And, suicide rates are already higher than normal. If it was up to the scientists, they would completely destroy the world's economy and people's lives and, in the end, suicide rates would actually be higher than if we just carried on the way we are doing now. If the death is a suicide then the scientists could brag about how we stopped the pandemic.

If you can do that, you don't have a well-rated mask. If you can work a straw usefully under a mask, it can't do its job effectively. An N95 is rated 95% effective. Try with a properly rated mask. Try with an N95 or even a KN95. Like I said, a bandana will work for using a straw and even eating. It won't work as an effective mask against releasing the virus into the air. A flex tube might very well work. You know, like those that ride around on a bicycle with a tube running from their mouth to a beer on top of their head. Shots, no problem. Pull the mask away just a bit and slurp up that shot like a vacuum.

Why do you keep insisting on repeating this falsehood? Are you still ignorant of how masks work despite me personally explaining this to you more than once?
If it is a falsehood then prove me wrong. Post proof that someone, anyone, caught the virus while wearing a mask from someone not wearing a mask. You can't do it and then you claim that I am the one posting falsehoods. You are the one posting falsehoods because you can't prove the nonsense you post. And don't post any scientific opinions. I want proof that someone wearing a mask caught the virus from someone not wearing a mask. I'm not holding my breath. I expect a big dance and more opinions.

A theory is a theory is a theory.

Lmao, no way. This guy really thinks he's going to call into question game theory in biology because it is called, theory.

That is precious.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

If it is a falsehood then prove me wrong. Post proof that someone, anyone, caught the virus while wearing a mask from someone not wearing a mask. You can't do it and then you claim that I am the one posting falsehoods. You are the one posting falsehoods because you can't prove the nonsense you post. And don't post any scientific opinions. I want proof that someone wearing a mask caught the virus from someone not wearing a mask. I'm not holding my breath. I expect a big dance and more opinions.

Laughable. Setting a standard you know is silly and then declaring victory when it isn't met. You know very well that the exact moment of infection cannot be proven, but you choose this nonsense anyway.

Would you like a more reasonable standard of evidence or do you want to troll some more? I will wait for you decision. First, I'll let you ponder the number of healthcare workers who wear masks all the time and still manage to get COVID. How exactly DID you convince yourself that masks are 100% effective, anyway?

You're not understanding what I'm saying. If people don't want to get the virus then they should wear a mask. If people don't want to wear a mask then let them get the virus. Mask wearing people aren't going to get the virus even if others aren't wearing their masks, which means the link you posted is a crock of shit. If people don't want to wear their masks then let them get the virus. They aren't hurting anyone but themselves.
A person doesn't have the right to willfully spread that mask and put the lives of medical people at risk because of their refusal to wear a mask, just as a drunk doesn't have the right to drink because he admits that it may kill him when he crashes. What is a rational reason not to wear a mask?

Laughable. Setting a standard you know is silly and then declaring victory when it isn't met. You know very well that the exact moment of infection cannot be proven, but you choose this nonsense anyway.

Would you like a more reasonable standard of evidence or do you want to troll some more? I will wait for you decision. First, I'll let you ponder the number of healthcare workers who wear masks all the time and still manage to get COVID. How exactly DID you convince yourself that masks are 100% effective, anyway?
So you can't prove that people wearing masks caught the virus from someone not wearing a mask. I thought your side liked to deal in facts. Do you have any real facts, or just scientific opinions?

A person doesn't have the right to willfully spread that mask and put the lives of medical people at risk because of their refusal to wear a mask, just as a drunk doesn't have the right to drink because he admits that it may kill him when he crashes. What is a rational reason not to wear a mask?
You're not listening. People cannot spread the virus to others if the others are wearing their masks. That's why the medical community wears PPE, not because they are trying to protect others, because they don't want to catch the virus from patients. Only idiots would not understand this.

The best you can come up with is a hypothetical? Really? I thought you lefties only want facts and now you come up with hypotheticals. Another poster used the word theories. Where are your facts that prove someone wearing their mask caught the virus from someone not wearing a mask. You say you only believe in facts, then where are they? A hypothetical is not a fact.

Well, first, to correct you, I’m not “left.” I’m to far far to the right to be left. A Scalia acolyte, and originalist, isn’t left.

So, leave your false presumptions of my political leanings to the sideline where they belong. Such labels have no place in the dialogue.

Second, it is YOUR BURDEN to A.) articulate what is meant by “work,” after all, YOU used that word in your claim and B.) provide facts that support your claim mask mandates “do not work.”

Otherwise, your entire argument IS a hypothetical. Yes, until you can define the word “work,” there’s no logical way to evaluate your claim “mask mandates do not work.” Which means, your claim is theoretical, hypothetical, mask mandates do not work, as your claim is incapable of being verified or falsified since you’ve not A.) defined “work, and B.) cite to no facts showing mask mandates fall below and are the cause for falling below the word “work.”

A claim that cannot and is not amenable to falsification, as Popper claimed, the Popper Falsification test, or amenable to verification, isn’t a strong or persuasive claim. Put another way, your claim parallel to the claim there exists an invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not listening. People cannot spread the virus to others if the others are wearing their masks. That's why the medical community wears PPE, not because they are trying to protect others, because they don't want to catch the virus from patients. Only idiots would not understand this.
People can spread the virus to others id both people are not wearing a mask. It is more difficult than if neither is wearing a mask but the commonly available masks for the general public are not constructed to the same standard as those used in the medical community. Both people need to wear a mask to stop the transmission.

What is it about wearing a mask when you interact with others in public that you are so opposed to to the point that you would risk contracting this virus. The fact that you would not know that you have contracted the virus and would spread it for a week or more to others before you show any symptoms. We as a society cannot stop the viris if we don't have a nationwide mask mandate for a minimum of a month, which is 2 infection cycles. We could have had a nationwide mask mandate and a lockdown for the month of May as well as a mask mandate for June and July the country would be essentially virus free by this point. The fact that we aren't doing anything means that the virus is still very active and we will have to wear a mask for a much longer time.
The fact that you want to ignore a million infections and what will likely be 250K American dead before election day boggles the mind if you claim to be a rational person.

Maybe we should allow people to sue for civil damages those who refuse to wear a mask for assault and death for spreading the virus to others if you only value your own freedom and money instead of accepting that you are part pof a very interdpedant sopciety and acting the part of an civilized adult. Or we could willfully infect them with the virus and deny them care when they get sick.

California instituted a mask mandate on June 18, two months ago. On that date they had 4084 new cases for June 18th. Two months after the mask mandate yesterday, August 18th, California had 4636 new cases for the day. On June 18th, the first day of the mask mandate, California had 82 new deaths and two months after the mask mandate, on August 18th, they had 100 new deaths for the day. California | The COVID Tracking Project

And, whether you are in a red state or a blue state, people aren't going to wear their masks whether there is a mask mandate or not and most of these people are the younger invincible liberals aged 20-29 who aren't about to stop going to beaches and bars.

In his own words Trump has admitted lying to the American people about the pandemic. In his own words Trump admits he is still lying to the American people. He says he doesn't want Americans to panic.

Americans don't panic. We solve the crisis, proven over and over again in our history.

Trump didn't know that.

As the impending threat of a pandemic was descending on America in January, February, and March, Trump was telling us, “It’s going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle—it will disappear.”

Or, the pandemic is “fading away. It’s going to fade away.”

And, “99% of COVID-19 cases are totally harmless.”

As a consequence, on his watch, the U.S. has 20% of the world's virus cases and 20% of the world's deaths caused by the virus. Over 209,500 Americans have died from the virus. United States Coronavirus: 7,331,020 Cases and 209,556 Deaths - Worldometer

As a consequence of that inescapable fact, because of his false optimism and habitual fantasies, because of his inability to react for three months when the virus threatened, because he refuses to accept bad news, Trump has run the greatest economy the world has ever known into the ground. The US economy shrank by an annualized 32.9 percent in the second quarter of 2020. It is the biggest contraction ever, pushing the economy into a recession. Thirty million Americans are unemployed, and the American people are challenged by both a pandemic and severe recession.

What has been Trump's response to all of this? He has sidelined his leading epidemiologists, Drs. Fauci, Birx, Redfield, and Hahn in favor of Fox News contributor, Dr. Scott Atlas, a radiologist, not an expert on epidemiology.

Atlas's views coincide with Trump's and directly conflict with the leading experts in the field, the field of epidemics, not radiology, the latter field being inconsequential at the moment.

No they can't and you can't prove it. You have scientific opinions, no facts to back up your case. Prove that even one person wearing their mask caught the virus from someone not wearing a mask. You can't.

It doesn't need to be proven.

Well, first, to correct you, I’m not “left.” I’m to far far to the right to be left. A Scalia acolyte, and originalist, isn’t left.

So, leave your false presumptions of my political leanings to the sideline where they belong. Such labels have no place in the dialogue.

Second, it is YOUR BURDEN to A.) articulate what is meant by “work,” after all, YOU used that word in your claim and B.) provide facts that support your claim mask mandates “do not work.”

Otherwise, your entire argument IS a hypothetical. Yes, until you can define the word “work,” there’s no logical way to evaluate your claim “mask mandates do not work.” Which means, your claim is theoretical, hypothetical, mask mandates do not work, as your claim is incapable of being verified or falsified since you’ve not A.) defined “work, and B.) cite to no facts showing mask mandates fall below and are the cause for falling below the word “work.”

A claim that cannot and is not amenable to falsification, as Popper claimed, the Popper Falsification test, or amenable to verification, isn’t a strong or persuasive claim. Put another way, your claim parallel to the claim there exists an invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster.

You are the one claiming that a non mask wearer can infect a mask wearer. The burden of proof is on you. Name one. Just one. Not scientific opinions.

People can spread the virus to others if both people are not wearing a mask.
This is what I've been saying all along. If you don't want to get the virus then YOU wear YOUR mask. If others don't give a shit then that's their problem, not yours. You aren't going to get the virus if you are wearing your mask, even if others aren't wearing theirs.

If I had my way, people without a mask would have one stapled onto their face.

In his own words Trump has admitted lying to the American people about the pandemic. In his own words Trump admits he is still lying to the American people. He says he doesn't want Americans to panic.

Americans don't panic. We solve the crisis, proven over and over again in our history.

Trump didn't know that.

As the impending threat of a pandemic was descending on America in January, February, and March, Trump was telling us, “It’s going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle—it will disappear.”

Or, the pandemic is “fading away. It’s going to fade away.”

And, “99% of COVID-19 cases are totally harmless.”

As a consequence, on his watch, the U.S. has 20% of the world's virus cases and 20% of the world's deaths caused by the virus. Over 209,500 Americans have died from the virus. United States Coronavirus: 7,331,020 Cases and 209,556 Deaths - Worldometer

As a consequence of that inescapable fact, because of his false optimism and habitual fantasies, because of his inability to react for three months when the virus threatened, because he refuses to accept bad news, Trump has run the greatest economy the world has ever known into the ground. The US economy shrank by an annualized 32.9 percent in the second quarter of 2020. It is the biggest contraction ever, pushing the economy into a recession. Thirty million Americans are unemployed, and the American people are challenged by both a pandemic and severe recession.

What has been Trump's response to all of this? He has sidelined his leading epidemiologists, Drs. Fauci, Birx, Redfield, and Hahn in favor of Fox News contributor, Dr. Scott Atlas, a radiologist, not an expert on epidemiology.

Atlas's views coincide with Trump's and directly conflict with the leading experts in the field, the field of epidemics, not radiology, the latter field being inconsequential at the moment.
It is going to disappear. Do you honestly believe it is not going to pretty much disappear at some point? MERS under Obama has pretty much disappeared. Why wouldn't this?

It doesn't need to be proven.
LOL. Wow. You lefties are amazing. All you talk about is facts, facts, facts, listen to the science. Then when someone asks you for the facts you say they don't need to be proven, just take our word for it, even when we have no proof.

You cannot prove that not even one person wearing a mask caught the virus from someone not wearing a mask. Go ahead and try but you can't cheat by assuming. The left claim that they are the side of the facts. Show the facts of what I requested, not scientific opinions. Prove someone wearing a mask caught the virus from someone not wearing a mask.

Wait. Hold up. “You can’t cheat by assuming”? Pot...kettle...black.

Your claim mask mandates “do not work” is a “cheat by assuming” they do not work.

You’ve made no factual argument of what “work” means, thereby allowing you to then claim the facts surrounding a mask mandate in some state fall below this meaning of “work,” which then necessitates the mask mandate is the cause for not “working” rather than assume it is the cause.

Your argument is built upon the “cheats” of assumptions. Prove YOUR argument, after all YOUR argument IS the topic of the thread.

Next, you said someone wearing a mask cannot be infected by someone not wearing a mask happen who is infected. It is your burden to show how it cannot happen.

Logically, your claim is problematic. Why? Because there’s no evidence there isn’t a possibility infection can occur to person wearing a mask from someone who is infected without a mask. There is a possibility of infection by the one wearing a mask in that context. There is no known mask on the planet that removes all risk and any possibility of a virus infecting the person wearing the mask from a sick person not wearing a mask, in regards to COVID-19 and other illnesses.

Yet, when both people are wearing a mask, the risk and possibility shrinks further. This is, in part, a reason for the two people to wear a mask, as it further decreases the possibility and risk. A reason for universal masking mandates is because it is possible someone wearing a mask can contract covid from an infected person not wearing a mask, all people are mandated or encouraged to wear a mask.

Next, I reject your notion 1 person wearing a mask is infected by someone who is infected without wearing a mask, is needed. You said it cannot happen, it is your burden to show how it cannot happen. Rather, the nature of the mask itself illuminates the fact the mask doesn’t block out all covid particles from an infected person not wearing a mask.

Wait. Hold up. “You can’t cheat by assuming”? Pot...kettle...black.

Your claim mask mandates “do not work” is a “cheat by assuming” they do not work.

You’ve made no factual argument of what “work” means, thereby allowing you to then claim the facts surrounding a mask mandate in some state fall below this meaning of “work,” which then necessitates the mask mandate is the cause for not “working” rather than assume it is the cause.

Your argument is built upon the “cheats” of assumptions. Prove YOUR argument, after all YOUR argument IS the topic of the thread.

Next, you said someone wearing a mask cannot be infected by someone not wearing a mask happen who is infected. It is your burden to show how it cannot happen.

Logically, your claim is problematic. Why? Because there’s no evidence there isn’t a possibility infection can occur to person wearing a mask from someone who is infected without a mask. There is a possibility of infection by the one wearing a mask in that context. There is no known mask on the planet that removes all risk and any possibility of a virus infecting the person wearing the mask from a sick person not wearing a mask, in regards to COVID-19 and other illnesses.

Yet, when both people are wearing a mask, the risk and possibility shrinks further. This is, in part, a reason for the two people to wear a mask, as it further decreases the possibility and risk. A reason for universal masking mandates is because it is possible someone wearing a mask can contract covid from an infected person not wearing a mask, all people are mandated or encouraged to wear a mask.

Next, I reject your notion 1 person wearing a mask is infected by someone who is infected without wearing a mask, is needed. You said it cannot happen, it is your burden to show how it cannot happen. Rather, the nature of the mask itself illuminates the fact the mask doesn’t block out all covid particles from an infected person not wearing a mask.

LOL. Now you're playing loose with the facts because you know you don't have any.

This is what I've been saying all along. If you don't want to get the virus then YOU wear YOUR mask. If others don't give a shit then that's their problem, not yours. You aren't going to get the virus if you are wearing your mask, even if others aren't wearing theirs.
Put a mask on and stop being a crybaby or stay home.

LOL. Wow. You lefties are amazing. All you talk about is facts, facts, facts, listen to the science. Then when someone asks you for the facts you say they don't need to be proven, just take our word for it, even when we have no proof.

I agree that we're amazing, but you don't speak for us, so you can shove your summary about what we talk about.

Sometimes some things only require common sense. Same as with anyone.

Everyone knows that masks work. Even the morons.

Put a mask on and stop being a crybaby or stay home.
My thoughts exactly. The left really need to quit being crybabies about others not wearing masks. As you say, "Put a mask on and stop being a crybaby or stay home".

I agree that we're amazing, but you don't speak for us, so you can shove your summary about what we talk about.

Sometimes some things only require common sense. Same as with anyone.

Everyone knows that masks work. Even the morons.
For some reason the true morons think that masks only work for breathing out and do not work for breathing in. For those people I say turn your mask around and use it the opposite way. Duh.

Sounds like a trump rally like the one that killed herman Caine
Sounds like no one is concerned about the transmission of Covid in the US. Or, probably, they want to blame Covid spread on their opponents.

Back
Top Bottom