• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I've noticed something has changed about the abortion debate on DP

I'm pretty comfortable saying this embryo is not a human being. It is less than 1/2 inch long.
foetusnew460.jpg
Why should your comfort level be binding law?

That argument will get you really far.
Just hang on. It's the wrong time of year, but I can probably get you a pig's uterus.
Oh we are pretending to be doctors today on debate politics. Cute
I am the doctor for my tribe.

So you never took biology. Too bad. They teach that in high school and college, so it's not too late for ya. Then you can be the doctor for your tribe too. I'll even send you a bone for your nose.

Just hang on. It's the wrong time of year, but I can probably get you a pig's uterus.

So you never took biology. Too bad. They teach that in high school and college, so it's not too late for ya. Then you can be the doctor for your tribe too. I'll even send you a bone for your nose.
How about if I identify as having a uterus, will she talk to them then?

Why only now after 30+ years of having these debates?

The most common “pro-choice” assertion is that the “right to privacy” makes it unconstitutional for states to ban or restrict “too much” the ability for pregnant ‘persons’ to have an abortion.

My only question is what, exactly, this (unwritten) “right to privacy” is assumed to say or apply to? I have tried on numerous occasions to find out, yet have never been given more than references to the “right of privacy” as being included in two SCOTUS decisions (Griswold v. Connecticut and Roe v. Wade).

There soon will be. :)

And that’s the point.
LOL You underestimate women which is not a surprise to me. They are very resourceful. Countries where abortion are illegal have higher abortion rates then we have and they will have plenty of help here too. The SC is creating a new industry overnight.

Abortion rates go down when countries make it legal: report

Countries with stricter abortion laws have higher abortion rates

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...n-when-countries-make-it-legal-report-n858476

Yes a nurse who never took biology. You can't make this shit up.

I've been engaging in debates about the Roe decision (though rarely on abortion itself) since I first started participating in online political debate forums in the pre-Internet days (think CompuServe and Hayes modems). From all this experience, and for the most part, I know the arguments the Roe zealots are going to make before they make them. But something has changed this week.

While the same flawed arguments are still being made, at least three times this week I've had Roe defenders say, in so many words, "Fine, I've had enough. I'm leaving," and they do. That almost never happened before. Just now it dawned on me that what I think I'm seeing is an observation I read recently coming true.

For the first time in 50 years, the Roe-crowd is facing the prospect of having to make a cogent, well reasoned argument in favor of abortion rights and persuade others. That's new. Their arguments have not changed. For the most part these folks still can't get past thinking it's all about privacy and continue to blithely ignore the crux of the issue is a still-disputed legal definition of human life. But when these folks hit their inevitable, logical dead ends before this week, they always had the "Well, abortion is a Constitutional right so I win" mentality. Now, they no longer do, they're arguments have to stand on their own with no Roe crutch, and they're simply not up to the task.

It's all rather fascinating.

Laughable smug sense of superiority you are demonstrating here.

Abortion is quarantined to a subforum for a reason. There's no debate. It's just people yelling past each other. There's no compromise position. If you think the fetus is a living human, you will not accept someone's reason for killing it.

So why should anyone try to convince you with some reason or logic?

Oh, they don't think I'm right. What they are is frustrated that they can't prove me wrong.
How does one prove an opinion right or wrong? You have your opinion, I have mine. You can't prove that my opinion is wrong or that yours is right.

Yes a nurse who never took biology. You can't make this shit up.
Oh, so now you feel all superior. My first wife was a doctor - a psychiatrist, in fact.

I can't help it if you don't recognize human life, nurse or not. And no, I don't need a uterus to recognize it or discuss it. If you do, that's your problem - not mine.

The most common “pro-choice” assertion is that the “right to privacy” makes it unconstitutional for states to ban or restrict “too much” the ability for pregnant ‘persons’ to have an abortion.

My only question is what, exactly, this (unwritten) “right to privacy” is assumed to say or apply to? I have tried on numerous occasions to find out, yet have never been given more than references to the “right of privacy” as being included in two SCOTUS decisions (Griswold v. Connecticut and Roe v. Wade).
It’s not entirely unwritten. There’s is the concept of privacy in the 4th amendment. But it doesn’t matter. No Constitutional right, no matter how clearly it is written in the Constitution, is absolutely (as I know you know).

Oh, so now you feel all superior. My first wife was a doctor - a psychiatrist, in fact.

I can't help it if you don't recognize human life, nurse or not. And no, I don't need a uterus to recognize it or discuss it. If you do, that's your problem - not mine.
Therefore....?

Oh you can opinion on it but you aren't a woman so you have zero pull in what we do with our bodies. Your comment was silly about Biden and I called you out on it and you got all pissy. Everyone knows Biden is alive and president. Sorry if you aren't dealing with those facts well.

They know you are not right. You think you are right, and then go "prove" it to yourself......as in your OP. lol

That is the problem. If one asserts that there is a Constitutional “right to privacy” which makes abortion on demand a right, the burden of proof is on them to show us the text of this “right to privacy”. Instead they take the sleazy way out and shift the burden to proving that this unwritten, yet claimed, Constitutional “right to privacy” does not exist. Of course, asking to see what they assert this “right to privacy” says is met with crickets.

Oh you can opinion on it but you aren't a woman so you have zero pull in what we do with our bodies. Your comment was silly about Biden and I called you out on it and you got all pissy. Everyone knows Biden is alive and president. Sorry if you aren't dealing with those facts well.
What you can’t do with your bodies is harm another.

Evidence and logic.
Evidence and logic don't make an opinion right or wrong. My opinion that butter pecan ice cream is the best won't change based on any evidence or logis since it is my opinion. My opinion that women should have the right to make their own medical decisions that work best for them will not change regardless of what you think is evidence or logic to the contrary.

Back
Top Bottom