• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I've noticed something has changed about the abortion debate on DP

NatMorton

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I've been engaging in debates about the Roe decision (though rarely on abortion itself) since I first started participating in online political debate forums in the pre-Internet days (think CompuServe and Hayes modems). From all this experience, and for the most part, I know the arguments the Roe zealots are going to make before they make them. But something has changed this week.

While the same flawed arguments are still being made, at least three times this week I've had Roe defenders say, in so many words, "Fine, I've had enough. I'm leaving," and they do. That almost never happened before. Just now it dawned on me that what I think I'm seeing is an observation I read recently coming true.

For the first time in 50 years, the Roe-crowd is facing the prospect of having to make a cogent, well reasoned argument in favor of abortion rights and persuade others. That's new. Their arguments have not changed. For the most part these folks still can't get past thinking it's all about privacy and continue to blithely ignore the crux of the issue is a still-disputed legal definition of human life. But when these folks hit their inevitable, logical dead ends before this week, they always had the "Well, abortion is a Constitutional right so I win" mentality. Now, they no longer do, they're arguments have to stand on their own with no Roe crutch, and they're simply not up to the task.

It's all rather fascinating.

The people who want to shove their religion down everyone's throats think it's everyone else who has the weak argument?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, ok. And we all know what comes next. An endless litany of bad-faith questions. You'll note he hasn't made any argument himself.

I've been engaging in debates about the Roe decision (though rarely on abortion itself) since I first started participating in online political debate forums in the pre-Internet days (think CompuServe and Hayes modems). From all this experience, and for the most part, I know the arguments the Roe zealots are going to make before they make them. But something has changed this week.

While the same flawed arguments are still being made, at least three times this week I've had Roe defenders say, in so many words, "Fine, I've had enough. I'm leaving," and they do. That almost never happened before. Just now it dawned on me that what I think I'm seeing is an observation I read recently coming true.

For the first time in 50 years, the Roe-crowd is facing the prospect of having to make a cogent, well reasoned argument in favor of abortion rights and persuade others. That's new. Their arguments have not changed. For the most part these folks still can't get past thinking it's all about privacy and continue to blithely ignore the crux of the issue is a still-disputed legal definition of human life. But when these folks hit their inevitable, logical dead ends before this week, they always had the "Well, abortion is a Constitutional right so I win" mentality. Now, they no longer do, they're arguments have to stand on their own with no Roe crutch, and they're simply not up to the task.

Nice for you that you have it all figured out, and recognize you were right all along. :rolleyes:

1651874150735.png

It's not that, Folks are just flat getting tired of arguing with idiots.

There is no need to persuade others that a woman has the right to control her own body. That goes without saying. How would you like the State to tell you what doctor you may see and what medical procedures you can have? I think all men who are against the right of a women to control her own body should be forcibly sterilized by the State so they can see what a horror they are putting women through. If that sounds extreme just think how destitute women feel when they are forced to bear a child they cannot afford. Nearly 50% of abortions are by women below the poverty line.

Nearly half of women who have abortions live below the federal poverty level​

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...below-in-the-federal-poverty-level-2019-05-17

Last edited:
What I've noticed from the pro abortion crowd is that the definition of life changes depending on circumstances.

If that's acceptable, then I feel pretty safe in pronouncing Biden dead. He certainly looks it, but I'm sure that technically he's actually alive. Some motor functions - respiration, for example - still exist.

What I've noticed from the pro abortion crowd is that the definition of life changes depending on circumstances.

If that's acceptable, then I feel pretty safe in pronouncing Biden dead. He certainly looks it, but I'm sure that technically he's actually alive. Some motor functions - respiration, for example - still exist.
Oh we are pretending to be doctors today on debate politics. Cute

I'm pretty comfortable saying this embryo is not a human being. It is less than 1/2 inch long.
foetusnew460.jpg

Back
Top Bottom