• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iowa congressman wants to block $20 Tubman

I guess it depends on if the committee was told to pick someone new and just happened to pick a black female verse being told to pick a black female as a replacement and choose TUBMAN.

So because you dont think she "deserves" to be on the $20 that makes it "racist" and "sexist"? So because your personal opinion of her not "deserving" it makes it a "racist" and "sexist" policy?

It's not what I think, it's what EVERY list of the most influential Americans that I was able to find thinks (as I made EXPLICITLY clear). Now that we have that silliness out of the way...

Can you answer my question as to what it is that makes Tubman so special that she gets to jump to the head of the line ahead of a lot of other folks that are pretty universally agreed upon as being more influential in American history?? My guess is that you'll avoid that question like the plague and accuse me of hating Tubman or some other silly accusation, but hope springs eternal...

It's not what I think, it's what EVERY list of the most influential Americans that I was able to find thinks (as I made EXPLICITLY clear). Now that we have that silliness out of the way...

Can you answer my question as to what it is that makes Tubman so special that she gets to jump to the head of the line ahead of a lot of other folks that are pretty universally agreed upon as being more influential in American history?? My guess is that you'll avoid that question like the plague and accuse me of hating Tubman or some other silly accusation, but hope springs eternal...

Ah, there's your problem, in a nutshell: you're suffering under the delusion that there's a line to jump ahead in in the first place. No such line exists except for in your imagination.

No its exactly what you think. Its that you think she is less deserving than some of the other people on the list and therefore its somehow "sexist" and "racist" for her to be on the $20 bill.

Its not about the level of "deserving"..... One could make any argument for any American icons on any list for why they should be on some form of currency

Which is bull**** because:
1.)Its literally going to cost very very little
2.)Its not even a reason he gave. He said its "sexist" and "racist" for a slaveholder on the $20 be replaced with by a woman who freed slaves.

Which is bull**** because:
1.)Its literally going to cost very very little
2.)Its not even a reason he gave. He said its "sexist" and "racist" for a slaveholder on the $20 be replaced with by a woman who freed slaves.

Hey, I don't really care what's on the 20 dollar bill. It could be blank, for all I care. I simply cited a reason.

Define very little, though? Having worked in the printing industry very briefly, I somehow doubt that you're idea of "very little" matches up to mine. It's like when a factory has to re-tool. **** ain't cheap.

Hey, I don't really care what's on the 20 dollar bill. It could be blank, for all I care. I simply cited a reason.

Define very little, though? Having worked in the printing industry very briefly, I somehow doubt that you're idea of "very little" matches up to mine. It's like when a factory has to re-tool. **** ain't cheap.
As I stated earlier:
""How much money does all of this cost? The government already regularly redesigns bills and introduces new notes into circulation. So it’s not clear that redesigning the displays on the back and front create much more work. The real cost of issuing currency is in the security and anticounterfeiting technology that officials must constantly police." Q&A: Harriet Tubman, Alexander Hamilton and the Currency Redesign - Real Time Economics - WSJ The only "extra" expense I can think of in replacing Jackson with Tubman is a new printing plate, which is pretty trivial..

Whats the reasoning for disagreeing with such decision?

I think I'll miss the picture of Jackson on the bill. It may :eek: traumatize me if he isn't there, I'd have to run to my safe place and hide.

Maybe I'd better avoid the entire situation and always ask for $10's when receiving change from the register.

I don't object to changing the Bill. I do think there are a lot more pressing issues in society and the funds spent on this could be better used fixing those others problems. I am interested in Rep Kings reason

Misbegotten priorities when pandering to a minority group takes precedent over everything else.

No, I included the full quote. Maybe you should stop and take minute to READ.

Alright, I missed that. It's odd that you don't see how it shows he's got a major itch up his butt about Tubman.

No its exactly what you think. Its that you think she is less deserving than some of the other people on the list and therefore its somehow "sexist" and "racist" for her to be on the $20 bill.

Its not about the level of "deserving"..... One could make any argument for any American icons on any list for why they should be on some form of currency

Then what standard is being used to make the decision to put Tubman on the $20??

Alright, I missed that. It's odd that you don't see how it shows he's got a major itch up his butt about Tubman.

No, he's got a major itch about using a picture on money as a way to push a specific agenda, instead of using to confer on honor on someone.

What was the standard used to decide that Tubman should be on the $20 and not one of long list of other people who are more deserving of the honor?

Then what standard is being used to make the decision to put Tubman on the $20??
"[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The decision to put Harriet Tubman on the new $20 was driven by thousands of responses we received from Americans young and old. I have been particularly struck by the many comments and reactions from children for whom Harriet Tubman is not just a historical figure, but a role model for leadership and participation in our democracy. You shared your thoughts about her life and her works and how they changed our nation and represented our most cherished values."
[/COLOR]https://medium.com/@USTreasury/an-open-letter-from-secretary-lew-672cfd591d02#.hw2v1ijwe

No, he's got a major itch about using a picture on money as a way to push a specific agenda,
Whats the "agenda"? Honoring a black woman who led slaves to freedom on the underground railroad?

Earlier in the year this past school year, I taught my students about the Civil War and we read a book about Harriet Tubman. Before that we'd also discussed the Trail of Tears and how horrific it was to Native Americans. Later on in the year when I announced the news that she'd be replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill, my class erupted into applause.

"[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The decision to put Harriet Tubman on the new $20 was driven by thousands of responses we received from Americans young and old. I have been particularly struck by the many comments and reactions from children for whom Harriet Tubman is not just a historical figure, but a role model for leadership and participation in our democracy. You shared your thoughts about her life and her works and how they changed our nation and represented our most cherished values."
[/COLOR]https://medium.com/@USTreasury/an-open-letter-from-secretary-lew-672cfd591d02#.hw2v1ijwe

So it was based on a "letter-writing campaign"??? How about John Marshall?? Elizabeth Cady Stanton?? W. E. B. DuBois? William Lloyd Garrison? Samuel Gompers? Thomas Edison? Mark Twain?

So it was based on a "letter-writing campaign"??? How about John Marshall?? Elizabeth Cady Stanton?? W. E. B. DuBois? William Lloyd Garrison? Samuel Gompers? Thomas Edison? Mark Twain?

Again, "Its not about the level of "deserving"..... One could make any argument for any American icons on any list for why they should be on some form of currency"

Whats the "agenda"? Honoring a black woman who led slaves to freedom on the underground railroad?

To put a black woman on the $20 as way of showing opposition to a couple hundred years of putting white men on the our bills... To even have to explain this to you should make you feel insulted, either that or you're just being intentionally obtuse...

To put a black woman on the $20 as way of showing opposition to a couple hundred years of putting white men on the our bills... To even have to explain this to you should make you feel insulted, either that or you're just being intentionally obtuse...
The "political agenda" is simply replacing a white male historical figure with a black woman historical figure and your simply against this because its a black female. :lamo You ****ing kidding me? I mean I guess you're really showing why you're actually against this move, its not because of this fake "standards" argument you are trying to make and this level of "deserving" argument you are trying to make, you are against this because simply because Tubman is a black female.

Then the standard was just some vague reference to a "letter-writing campaign"???
Your arguments are pathetic and trivial. But you just literally showed why you are against this move of putting Tubman on the bill and its grounded in misogyny and racism.

I don't object to changing the Bill. I do think there are a lot more pressing issues in society and the funds spent on this could be better used fixing those others problems. I am interested in Rep Kings reason

Are you a bigot like republican rep. Steve King? If not, what is the problem?

Well, we have to have a black person on a bill, so that goes to the twenty, they say. What they don't say is why?

Then we need to caugh up women, because a twofer can't count. We need Mexicans, Chinese, Japanese, Cubans, gays, trans, etc. blacks are pretty much "Yesterday's news" after Tubman gets her slot.

Why? Does someone actually think I care who is on a bill? Just make a commorative bill and put a different mug one each one every five years, and save us the grief.

You sound like a Texas bigot!

The "political agenda" is simply replacing a white male historical figure with a black woman historical figure and your simply against this because its a black female. :lamo You ****ing kidding me? I mean I guess you're really showing why you're actually against this move, its not because of this fake "standards" argument you are trying to make and this level of "deserving" argument you are trying to make, you are against this because simply because Tubman is a black female.

Your arguments are pathetic and trivial. But you just literally showed why you are against this move of putting Tubman on the bill and its grounded in misogyny and racism.

Then show me the standard used for choosing Tubman (no, a letter-writing campaign is NOT a standard). It's a simple request, one that should be readily available to you...

Then show me the standard used for choosing Tubman (no, a letter-writing campaign is NOT a standard). It's a simple request, one that should be readily available to you...

:lamo Hey I get it. Your against Tubman being on the bill because you're a bigot. You essentially just admitted it. No need to hide your bigotry behind your fake argument of "standards".

Back
Top Bottom