• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iowa congressman wants to block $20 Tubman

Steve King is to the GOP as the crazy drunk uncle is to a family Thanksgiving meal - we all cringe when his head pops up and he starts to talk, because, although we don't know what he'll say, we can be sure that whatever it is, it'll be bat**** crazy and embarrass the hell out of us.

Harriet Tubman is a great choice for the $20 bill.

Wait… there's someone more bat**** crazy than Bachman? Seriously?

Whatever his reasons are for wanting to block this - he has evidence that she tortured puppies, he wanted Billy Graham on the $20 bill, his underwear is too tight, whatthe****ever - this goes to the heart of the problems in our country. Who CARES who is on the $20 bill? She is as good a choice as anyone. This is the biggest worry in our country today? This clown should be voted out of office.

I want to move to Switzerland.

I'll bet the man hates Obama. What'd wanna bet?

If I were to guess, given the amendment's language, he's trying to keep the Treasury from redesigning money every couple of years. We just finished our last redesign phase, and if I remember correctly each bill's redesign and circulation process costs a couple hundred million each.

This is the extent of his amendment.

And here is the paragraph requesting to be altered(with line numbers)

If that's the case it would be simple thing to give the reason. Why isn't he?

No, he's got a major itch about using a picture on money as a way to push a specific agenda, instead of using to confer on honor on someone.

What was the standard used to decide that Tubman should be on the $20 and not one of long list of other people who are more deserving of the honor?

Have you even googled Tubman? Going by your posts in this thread it doesn't seem that you know who she is.

Whatever his reasons are for wanting to block this - he has evidence that she tortured puppies, he wanted Billy Graham on the $20 bill, his underwear is too tight, whatthe****ever - this goes to the heart of the problems in our country. Who CARES who is on the $20 bill? She is as good a choice as anyone. This is the biggest worry in our country today? This clown should be voted out of office.

I want to move to Switzerland.

If that's the case it would be simple thing to give the reason. Why isn't he?

Oh, but he did provide a reason. It's "liberal activism" and he wants the $20 to "remain unchanged." See? All cleared up!

:roll:

Who gives a ****?

Put SpongeBob SquarePants on it. Put Homer Simpson. Put any guy/gal off of the street (provided they are American and don't have a criminal record) on the bloody bill.

What possible difference does it make? America is not stronger or weaker in ANY WAY depending on what person/thing the government puts on her money.

Just goes to show you...people will argue about even the stupidest things.

Last edited:
:lamo Hey I get it. Your against Tubman being on the bill because you're a bigot. You essentially just admitted it. No need to hide your bigotry behind your fake argument of "standards".

Not a bigot at all. I'd just liek to see what the standards for choosing Tubman were. So far, you can't seem to provide anything other than a statement about some kind of "letter writing campaign" style of demand, but nothing that states why she was chosen over a lot of other folks who have had greater historical and cultural impact on our nation. Can we both agree that historical and cultural impact should be the determining standard for this honor???

Have you even googled Tubman? Going by your posts in this thread it doesn't seem that you know who she is.

that was teh first thing I did. The second was to search for lists of the 100 most historically significant Americans. Have you done that?? While I have complete respect for Tubman, I also see that there are lot of folks just as deserving, if not more so than she is. Look back through this thread to where I posted The Atlantic's list (I just posted the top 50, but there's a link to the full list). There are a lot of folks that are more desrving of this honor than Tubman is when looking that list. Do the search I did and see how often Tubman makes the top 100 lists.

Not a bigot at all. I'd just liek to see what the standards for choosing Tubman were. So far, you can't seem to provide anything other than a statement about some kind of "letter writing campaign" style of demand, but nothing that states why she was chosen over a lot of other folks who have had greater historical and cultural impact on our nation. Can we both agree that historical and cultural impact should be the determining standard for this honor???

It's my understanding that a group calling themselves Women On 20's ( Women on 20s ) had a online contest to pick a woman for the $20. Tubman won. They then petitioned the White House to consider her. Kinda reminds me of how postage stamps are chosen.

It's my understanding that a group calling themselves Women On 20's ( Women on 20s ) had a online contest to pick a woman for the $20. Tubman won. They then petitioned the White House to consider her. Kinda reminds me of how postage stamps are chosen.

Gee, you mean that this was pushed by a group that wanted a person's gender to be the most important criteria?? That's not sexist, not at all..

Gee, you mean that this was pushed by a group that wanted a person's gender to be the most important criteria?? That's not sexist, not at all..

Don't know what to tell ya. The only criteria I'm aware of to be on money is to be deceased.

Don't know what to tell ya. The only criteria I'm aware of to be on money is to be deceased.

Well all of my grandparents are deceased and I don't see any of them on a $20 bill and my one grandfather was the guy who first started modern egg-gathering technology. That should be worth some kind of honor. Maybe if I got a couple thousand egg farm employees to sign a petition, I could get him on the $20, since from what I can see, that's the only real requirement (other than being dead).

Well all of my grandparents are deceased and I don't see any of them on a $20 bill and my one grandfather was the guy who first started modern egg-gathering technology. That should be worth some kind of honor. Maybe if I got a couple thousand egg farm employees to sign a petition, I could get him on the $20, since from what I can see, that's the only real requirement (other than being dead).

Start an online poll and let us know how it goes.

Start an online poll and let us know how it goes.

In this case, it seems like an online petition is all that's needed. Should that be the standard?? Just get a couple thousand names on a petition and you get your favorite dead person on a $20??

In this case, it seems like an online petition is all that's needed. Should that be the standard?? Just get a couple thousand names on a petition and you get your favorite dead person on a $20??

Sounds like a new game show. Trump to host?

:lamo How is replacing a slaveowner with a black woman who led slaves to freedom on the underground railroad on the $20 bill "racist" and "sexist"?

All this issue is doing here is exposing the right-wing bigots on this site.

Whats the "agenda"? Honoring a black woman who led slaves to freedom on the underground railroad?

This guy, faithful-servant can find any excuse he wants, but it is evident that putting a black woman who put her life on the line to save others from slavery just galls him to death. It appears like blatant racism to me.

that was teh first thing I did. The second was to search for lists of the 100 most historically significant Americans. Have you done that?? While I have complete respect for Tubman, I also see that there are lot of folks just as deserving, if not more so than she is. Look back through this thread to where I posted The Atlantic's list (I just posted the top 50, but there's a link to the full list). There are a lot of folks that are more desrving of this honor than Tubman is when looking that list. Do the search I did and see how often Tubman makes the top 100 lists.

Sure, people are going to disagree on who qualifies. But Tubman was an abolitionist and saved black people from slavery. She's a fine candidate for the $20 bill.

Back
Top Bottom