• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iowa congressman wants to block $20 Tubman

There is no good reason to oppose Tubman's appearance on the $20 bill. Unless King is a time traveler or is immortal and therefore knows something insidious about Tubman that we do not.

There's rumors she put ketchup on her scrambled eggs.

Why does this make him an asshole?

Because of all of the things happening in this country his number one priority is trying to block the Treasury from changing the depictions on currency. Because his primary concern is whose face is peeking out from a stripper's g-string.

Last edited:
How would I know. You would have to ask him. But you didn't do that, you just called him an asshole because he didn't bow to the liberal emotional blackmail. For my part, I would rather see Frederick Douglass or MLK on the $20 if that is the direction we are going.

Oh fer chrissakes

I would prefer George Washington Carver on the 20 dollar bill.

The man was pure genius, and a spokesman for racial & world harmony.

We have quarters with all 50 states on them.

Why the "F" can't we have paper money with more than one damned face on them?

Whatever his reasons are for wanting to block this - he has evidence that she tortured puppies, he wanted Billy Graham on the $20 bill, his underwear is too tight, whatthe****ever - this goes to the heart of the problems in our country. Who CARES who is on the $20 bill? She is as good a choice as anyone. This is the biggest worry in our country today? This clown should be voted out of office.

I want to move to Switzerland.

Whatever his reasons are for wanting to block this - he has evidence that she tortured puppies, he wanted Billy Graham on the $20 bill, his underwear is too tight, whatthe****ever - this goes to the heart of the problems in our country. Who CARES who is on the $20 bill? She is as good a choice as anyone. This is the biggest worry in our country today? This clown should be voted out of office.

You'd have to learn how to Yodel.

What makes you think I don't already know how to yodel? I watched The Sound Of Music about 37846 times. Yodelay yodelay yodelay hee hoo!

Looks like a life of swiss cheese, swiss chocolate, and Swiss Miss is in your future.

If I were to guess, given the amendment's language, he's trying to keep the Treasury from redesigning money every couple of years. We just finished our last redesign phase, and if I remember correctly each bill's redesign and circulation process costs a couple hundred million each.

Page 21, line 16, strike ‘‘$1’’ and insert ‘‘any’’.
Page 21, line 16, insert ‘‘or coin’’ after ‘‘note’’.

This is the extent of his amendment.

And here is the paragraph requesting to be altered(with line numbers)

13 SEC. 119. None of the funds appropriated in this Act
14 or otherwise available to the Department of the Treasury
15 or the Bureau of Engraving and Printing may be used
16 to redesign the $1 Federal Reserve note.

Last edited:

Half of my family is Swiss. I heartly recommend it as an option.

The other half is Scottish, so if you don't think we're tight w/a buck....

One of the most salient and simultaneously damning things about our country.

The lunatics in Congress reflect the electorate who put them there.

Trust me, your ideological opposition feels precisely the same way...

If I were to guess, given the amendment's language, he's trying to keep the Treasury from redesigning money every couple of years. We just finished our last redesign phase, and if I remember correctly each bill's redesign and circulation process costs a couple hundred million each.
I would like to see a source for this that it costs "a couple hundred million each to redesign each bill".. All I could find was this, "How much money does all of this cost? The government already regularly redesigns bills and introduces new notes into circulation. So it’s not clear that redesigning the displays on the back and front create much more work. The real cost of issuing currency is in the security and anticounterfeiting technology that officials must constantly police." Q&A: Harriet Tubman, Alexander Hamilton and the Currency Redesign - Real Time Economics - WSJ The only expense I can think of in replacing Jackson with Tubman is a new printing plate, which is pretty trivial..

Yea. Thus nullyfying the decision to put Tubman on the $20 bill...

I would like to see a source for this that it costs "a couple hundred million each to redesign each bill".. All I could find was this, "How much money does all of this cost? The government already regularly redesigns bills and introduces new notes into circulation. So it’s not clear that redesigning the displays on the back and front create much more work. The real cost of issuing currency is in the security and anticounterfeiting technology that officials must constantly police." Q&A: Harriet Tubman, Alexander Hamilton and the Currency Redesign - Real Time Economics - WSJ The only expense I can think of in replacing Jackson with Tubman is a new printing plate, which is pretty trivial..

Yea. Thus nullyfying the decision to put Tubman on the $20 bill...

The recirculation costs of pulling all old 20s for replacement with the new is the additional cost. Again, I don't have hard numbers and haven't been able to find any, but I remember hearing stories when the did the last redesign that it was costly.

They haven't redesigned the $1 bill since ~1929 which is why the original statement is in the bill, so I suspect since this is an annual appropriations bill, it would last a calendar year.

Read more @: Iowa congressman wants to block $20 Tubman

He is at least a ****ing asshole.... [/FONT][/COLOR]

I still think that we should simply put together a list of the 100 most influential dead American every 20 years or so and work our way through the list, regardless of gender, race, politics, etc. Just a simple list of people and every five years or so, we put new pictures on the bills taking the $1 from the 81-100 group, the $5 from the 61-80 group, the $10 from the 41-60 group, the $20 from the 21-40 group and the $100 from the 1-20 group. No gets a repeat until everyone else in their group gets a turn on a bill.

And you would be wrong. The reason is...surprise surprise..."liberal activism."

"It's not about Harriet Tubman, it's about keeping the picture on the $20," King said Tuesday night, according to Politico, pulling a $20 bill from his pocket and pointing at President Andrew Jackson. "Y'know? Why would you want to change that? I am a conservative, I like to keep what we have."

Politico quoted King as saying it is "racist" and "sexist" to say a woman or person of color should be added to currency.

"Here's what's really happening, this is liberal activism on the part of the president, that's trying to identify people by categories and he's divided us on the lines of groups. … This is a divisive proposal on the part of the president and mine's unifying. It says just don't change anything."

Steve King won't be blocking Harriet Tubman from $20 bill

Of course you can't just come right out and say "We don't want no darkies on our money" so you go with every racist dog whistle in your bag.

"It's racist and sexist to put a black woman on the twenty dollar bill." You had a whole day to come up with a coherent response and that's what you decided to go with. Good one, Steve King, good one.

And you would be wrong. The reason is...surprise surprise..."liberal activism."

Steve King won't be blocking Harriet Tubman from $20 bill

Of course you can't just come right out and say "We don't want no darkies on our money" so you go with every racist dog whistle in your bag.

"It's racist and sexist to put a black woman on the twenty dollar bill." You had a whole day to come up with a coherent response and that's what you decides to go with. Good one, Steve King, good one.

it would also save money, but I don't understand his reasoning.

In addition, the amendment would have reportedly prevented the United States Mint from complying with the America’s Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008. This law requires the Mint to issue five new quarter-dollar coins each year featuring designs depicting national parks and other national sites. It would also negatively affect the Native American $1 Coin Act, which requires the minting and issuance of $1 coins each year featuring designs celebrating the important contributions made by Indian tribes and individual Native Americans to the history and development of the United States.

it would also save money, but I don't understand his reasoning.

You don't understand his reasoning because there's no good reason, and because it's very difficult to sound rational when all you really want to say is "She's a NEGRESS!!"

Read more @: Iowa congressman wants to block $20 Tubman

He is at least a ****ing asshole.... [/FONT][/COLOR]

i agree taking the man that saved America form another war and replace him with a woman that did what.the people on the left have no prospective,JACKSON might be looked at as a racist in 2016,but he was president in 1829, fyi the 1829 world was not the same as the 2016 world ,prospective they have none.

run don run

i agree taking the man that saved America form another war and replace him with a woman that did what.the people on the left have no prospective,JACKSON might be looked at as a racist in 2016,but he was president in 1829, fyi the 1829 world was not the same as the 2016 world ,prospective they have none.

run don run

Wow, that was really well thought out. Are you, like, one of those writer people who make books an stuff in real life?

Second biggest asshole in all of Congress. Louis Gohmert is number one, though. Everything is bigger in Texas, including assholes. :mrgreen:
You're from Texas, right?

:mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom