• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iowa congressman wants to block $20 Tubman

I disagree. There should be no replacement. There's absolutely no reason to be redesigning the currency other than for security purposes (and those measures can be taken without changing the basic look). It's a waste of money.

:shrug: currency gets redesigned over time anyway. Harriet Tubman is an awesome figure in our history who, unlike Jackson, fought to expand individual freedom. It's a good replacement.

Sure, people are going to disagree on who qualifies. But Tubman was an abolitionist and saved black people from slavery. She's a fine candidate for the $20 bill.

What about Angelina Grimké Weld, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Frederick Douglas (if you want an abolitionist, Douglas is the one to use)??

What about Angelina Grimké Weld, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Frederick Douglas (if you want an abolitionist, Douglas is the one to use)??

It wasn't my position that we had to have an abolitionist, but anyway...

Those inclusions seem a little luke-warm compared to Tubman, don't you think? What made you think of them? I mean not only did Tubman escape slavery, she rescued other slaves. She was a frigging action hero.

It wasn't my position that we had to have an abolitionist, but anyway...

Those inclusions seem a little luke-warm compared to Tubman, don't you think? What made you think of them? I mean not only did Tubman escape slavery, she rescued other slaves. She was a frigging action hero.

Do you have a Tubman action figure?

Well all of my grandparents are deceased and I don't see any of them on a $20 bill and my one grandfather was the guy who first started modern egg-gathering technology. That should be worth some kind of honor. Maybe if I got a couple thousand egg farm employees to sign a petition, I could get him on the $20, since from what I can see, that's the only real requirement (other than being dead).

Have you thought about petitioning for your grandpa on a postage stamp?

I'm sure he'd look great gracing the 3 cent.

All this issue is doing here is exposing the right-wing bigots on this site.
To a racist, everything has a racial component. Is there any conservative on this thread you haven't accused of being a right wing bigot?

"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

There are other reasons not to give Hamilton the boot.

Hamilton, while a slave owner as was the custom in a labor starved country, also was central in building the country that led the effort to abolish slavery in all Anglo Saxon nations. It is still common in Asia and the Middle East.

True, Tubman helped slaves escape. How many? 50, 100, 1000? The country of which Hamilton was among the founders, erased it completely in the areas the nation could reach. As heroes go, she's to be applauded, but she had nowhere near the influence on the social policies of the USA that Hamilton did, and the black race ultimately benefited from.

Do you have a Tubman action figure?

The one with the kung fu grip? Absolutely. The one where she transforms into an army tank is also on my birthday list.

Back
Top Bottom