• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Inside Trump's anger and impatience--and his sudden decision to fire Comey

akyron

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...4_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.c4700940c3d9

Rosenstein threatened to resign after the narrative emerging from the White House on Tuesday evening cast him as a prime mover of the decision to fire Comey and that the president acted only on his recommendation, said the person close to the White House, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Deputy AG Rosenstein: 'I'm not quitting,' didn't threaten to quit over Comey firing | WJLA

WASHINGTON (Sinclair Broadcast Group) - Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said he's not quitting, nor did he threaten to quit over his role in the firing of FBI Director James Comey.
When asked by Sinclair Broadcast Group's Michelle Macaluso about reports that claim otherwise, he stated "no, I'm not quitting."
Macaluso: Did you threaten to quit?
Rosenstein: No.

It would be nice if "journalists" would verify before printing tripe.
No wonder the media is considered unworthy of trust.

Re: Recent example of fake news.

The media makes mistakes. When they make mistakes they are expected to submit a retraction/apology and a correction.

When this president makes mistakes he doesn't issue a retraction or apology. He doubles down.

I am no fan of the corporate media, but can we not be hypocritical about this, people?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...4_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.c4700940c3d9

Rosenstein threatened to resign after the narrative emerging from the White House on Tuesday evening cast him as a prime mover of the decision to fire Comey and that the president acted only on his recommendation, said the person close to the White House, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Deputy AG Rosenstein: 'I'm not quitting,' didn't threaten to quit over Comey firing | WJLA

WASHINGTON (Sinclair Broadcast Group) - Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said he's not quitting, nor did he threaten to quit over his role in the firing of FBI Director James Comey.
When asked by Sinclair Broadcast Group's Michelle Macaluso about reports that claim otherwise, he stated "no, I'm not quitting."

The problem is the WaPo using crap like this:

said the person close to the White House, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Why, exactly, is the word of some single anonymous person used to present the alleged position (yet no claim of a direct quote) of someone else considered news? This is, exaclty, what the "fake news" label means - no asking the person involved a single question or even getting multiple sources to confirm a direct quote. Nope, who needs any of that when "the scoop" will sell like hot cakes to the loyal followers of that "factual" news source.

Last edited:

It might've fake. But I also can't imagine Rosenstein answering "yes" to that question on the record even if he did.

The media makes mistakes. When they make mistakes they are expected to submit a retraction/apology and a correction.

When this president makes mistakes he doesn't issue a retraction or apology. He doubles down.

US and China reach deal expanding beef trade and increasing access to financial services

The deal is part of a plan to reduce the massive US trade deficit with Beijing, US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said

US and China reach deal expanding beef trade and increasing access to financial services | The Independent

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/opinion/trumps-decision-to-attack-syria.html?_r=0

The corrections are self evident.

Few media outlets can say the same,

He must be lying!

I agree they are presenting an alleged statement by an anonymous source as truth, which is bad journalism. However, if they were told that, its not fake news. Its still news that a source close to the white house said that, even if they should be more upfront and clear that this story is based on one person's anonymous allegation. Rothstein wouldn't admit to this even if he did say it. That would be career suicide.

If you read the second article denying the threat, it says that MULTIPLE journalists were told that he was very upset about how things went out to the press. Is this one source spreading false information? Maybe. Or maybe this guy got pissed and some people took it differently than he intended.

I agree they are presenting an alleged statement by an anonymous source as truth, which is bad journalism.
The piece makes it clear what is the source.

However, if they were told that, its not fake news.
They were. You are repeating the obvious. What is your point?

He must be lying!

A little more professionalism and they could regain some of the respect they have lost.

They have an important job and screwing it up as they have been hurts the people.

We need an honest news media to hold our politicians feet to the fire.

Having been sleeping for 8 years they have overcorrected and gone off the cliff mentally.

The piece makes it clear what is the source.

They were. You are repeating the obvious. What is your point?

My point is, as someone who dates a journalist and is fairly familiar with jouralistic standards, anonymous sources are the lowest level of evidence that a reporter can possibly ever print a story on and they should temper their claims when they do. You may not think it matters, but putting that this information was from an anonymous source at the end of a paragraph multiple paragraphs into a story makes a difference to the level of credibility they are giving the claim. Personally, I think anonymously sourced info should be identified in the headline or clearly stated in the first paragraph. Its bad journalism to not make that disclaimer upfront. And I say "if they were told", you can't prove they were and neither can a different newspaper since the source is anonymous. That's why journalists are usually more careful about using them. Your story can't be verified independently by someone else. Having the man himself say that this story never happened is bad news, pun intended, for an anonymously sourced claim.

My point is, as someone who dates a journalist and is fairly familiar with jouralistic standards, anonymous sources are the lowest level of evidence that a reporter can possibly ever print a story on and they should temper their claims when they do.
The source was make clear. By your logic, Bernstein and Woodward are hacks.

And yet "magically" the meme is no longer and VP Pence is a big fat liar... again. I guess it had nothing to do with Rosenstein's displeasure though. That was fake. :lol:

I am no fan of the corporate media, but can we not be hypocritical about this, people?

They go off half cocked a lot, too.

They go off half cocked a lot, too.

Not nearly as often nor with near the same equivalence. Try making side-by-side columns of press mistakes and Trump "mistakes", and rate them 1 to 5. Who would end up the greater frequency and higher average severity of mistake? What would the numbers, by your own analysis, show?

My point is, as someone who dates a journalist and is fairly familiar with jouralistic standards, anonymous sources are the lowest level of evidence that a reporter can possibly ever print a story on and they should temper their claims when they do. You may not think it matters, but putting that this information was from an anonymous source at the end of a paragraph multiple paragraphs into a story makes a difference to the level of credibility they are giving the claim. Personally, I think anonymously sourced info should be identified in the headline or clearly stated in the first paragraph. Its bad journalism to not make that disclaimer upfront. And I say "if they were told", you can't prove they were and neither can a different newspaper since the source is anonymous. That's why journalists are usually more careful about using them. Your story can't be verified independently by someone else. Having the man himself say that this story never happened is bad news, pun intended, for an anonymously sourced claim.

It's not really 'bad news' it's just a counter claim, and readers are capable of evaluating them, if they care.

In this case, Rosenstein has an interest in BOTH getting an anonymous story out there about how angry he was, so angry that he threatened to resign, AND for him to deny such a charge when asked directly. He gets the story out there but takes no personal responsibility for it. Win/win for Rosenstein. What I take from it is he at LEAST knew the perception that he's a hack who lost his integrity was out there, in a big way, and he wanted to push back on it, but didn't have the courage/integrity to make public statements to that effect that he knows would threaten his job.

The POTUS is NOT responsible for accurate reporting to the people in the same fashion as the press are supposed to be...They really have NO credibility left.

The POTUS is NOT responsible for accurate reporting to the people in the same fashion as the press are supposed to be...They really have NO credibility left.

I've expected little from the NY Times for over 15 years now, but I am tremendously disappointed by WaPo's recently reporting. As a first-tier source, it should and must do better in this insta-info age. Look how quickly other outlets ran breathlessly with the "news" that Rosenstein had threatened to quit.

I've expected little from the NY Times for over 15 years now, but I am tremendously disappointed by WaPo's recently reporting. As a first-tier source, it should and must do better in this insta-info age. Look how quickly other outlets ran breathlessly with the "news" that Rosenstein had threatened to quit.

At times it seems that what gets reported is more of a function of what the reporter wants to happen rather than what actually occurs.

If journalists were more honest and objective they might regain some credibility and respect in what should be an important job rather than a punchline.

At times it seems that what gets reported is more of a function of what the reporter wants to happen rather than what actually occurs.

If journalists were more honest and objective they might regain some credibility and respect in what should be an important job rather than a punchline.

And there are many fair and first-rate reporters. But some need to reflect on what their job is, which is NOT to shape the news.

Where does it say that is is optional for the POTUS to tell the truth?

And there are many fair and first-rate reporters. But some need to reflect on what their job is, which is NOT to shape the news.

So if a credible source tells them something they need to sit on it for fear it might "shape the news"? Is that what reporters are trained to do?

I agree. As soon as the reporter becomes the story ala CNN, fox, Acosta s, m Kelly, and so many then it is exceedingly difficult to remain objective.

Trump does not inspire objectivity which makes it all more difficult.

Not nearly as often nor with near the same equivalence. Try making side-by-side columns of press mistakes and Trump "mistakes", and rate them 1 to 5. Who would end up the greater frequency and higher average severity of mistake? What would the numbers, by your own analysis, show?

Who should we be able to trust more, politicians or joirnalists? I say journalists. What say you?

Nobody, not even Trump supporters actually believe that the White House has any credibility. This is all just fun for them.

Back
Top Bottom