• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Inflation, inflation, inflation - - OK righties, what, exactly, would you do to address this?

As, across the country, this seems to be their #1 talking point, I've yet to hear what they believe they could do to stem this problem that is affecting all nations across the world.

Indeed, when seen through this international lens, the United States is doing significantly better than most other countries.

So other than braying endlessly about this in every local, state and federal election, I'm waiting for some tangible, practical suggestions on how this can or should be addressed.

The conservative solution is to give out more tax cuts to the filthy rich and more deregulation for business.

The PM of England did just that the other day.

We all know tax cuts won't do anything but make the filthy rich even more filthy rich. Business will buy back stock and give huge bonuses to management and executives. We've seen it happen over and over again. It will do nothing to combat inflation. In fact it will cause more inflation.

The tax cut will do more harm and zero good. It will take more money out of circulation and give even more incentive to raise prices even more. High taxes on the filthy rich will lower prices.

When a greedy person knows they will lose most of the money to taxes, that filthy rich person won't take money out of the company that will put them in that higher tax bracket.

The result is that they can keep the price of their goods and services lower because they don't have to generate high revenue.

High taxes on high wages and salaries or high revenues in a business keeps prices of goods and services lower.

It helps to control inflation because it helps control greed.

The democrats had a bill in congress to stop the gouging by oil companies but the republicans killed the bill causing the price of oil to continue to increase which keeps the price of most goods high. The last thing the republicans want is to do something to ease inflation and actually took action to make sure nothing is done to ease inflation.

Need some back up for those numbers.
For what? That wages have increased? Remember when the 15 per hour minimum wage was an impossible, outlandish suggestion? Yet now that's what people make. And it happened over the course of 2 years thanks to covid.

As to my 2nd claim...about a 25% increase to operating cost? Anecdotal, with the company I work for that was heavily affected by the wages. Retail, majority of employees got 2 dollar increases. Increased our operating budget by about 25%

The conservative solution is to give out more tax cuts to the filthy rich and more deregulation for business.

The PM of England did just that the other day.

We all know tax cuts won't do anything but make the filthy rich even more filthy rich. Business will buy back stock and give huge bonuses to management and executives. We've seen it happen over and over again. It will do nothing to combat inflation. In fact it will cause more inflation.

The tax cut will do more harm and zero good. It will take more money out of circulation and give even more incentive to raise prices even more. High taxes on the filthy rich will lower prices.

When a greedy person knows they will lose most of the money to taxes, that filthy rich person won't take money out of the company that will put them in that higher tax bracket.

The result is that they can keep the price of their goods and services lower because they don't have to generate high revenue.

High taxes on high wages and salaries or high revenues in a business keeps prices of goods and services lower.

It helps to control inflation because it helps control greed.

The democrats had a bill in congress to stop the gouging by oil companies but the republicans killed the bill causing the price of oil to continue to increase which keeps the price of most goods high. The last thing the republicans want is to do something to ease inflation and actually took action to make sure nothing is done to ease inflation.
Their own members have given them carte blanche scumbaggery, and their woefully clueless base just drools, nods and votes.

I accept supportable data. We are talking economy, which is numbers. Got any?
You'll need to get past the paywall:

No it's not a coincidence our economies are connected by a global market. I find it interesting that you think other countries economies can have an effect on ours while ignoring that when our economy failures it negatively impacts those economies as well.

That however is only a partial explanation and overlooks the damage they did to themselves and the self inflicted damage we caused by these lockdowns.
"That" is no explanation at all.

So an article I can't access is your "evidence"?

giphy.gif

At this point, it isnt OUR problem

It is YOURS

And come November, the voters will weigh in as to how important they feel it is

Why would we give you answers to your problems?

I dont remember anyone from the progressives/liberals/democrats trying to throw the GOP a lifeline during Trump's tenure
What does that mean?

No it's not a coincidence our economies are connected by a global market. I find it interesting that you think other countries economies can have an effect on ours while ignoring that when our economy failures it negatively impacts those economies as well.

That however is only a partial explanation and overlooks the damage they did to themselves and the self inflicted damage we caused by these lockdowns.
Um, covid "lockdowns" caused demand to decline, which resulted in dis-inflation, the opposite of inflation. Further, people, all on their own, prior to any US guv ordering covid "lockdowns" were cutting back on spending, primarily restaurants and travel. The declines in spending were happening without "lockdowns". And again, for those that can't remember, the "lockdowns" were put in place to.....wait for it.....keep our medical systems from being overwhelmed. You, like Lt Guv Dan Patrick apparently wanted more deaths AND a medical system collapse.

Not my job to do research for you, so you might want to do more than search for gifs.
posts multiple times a paywalled article, then blames us for not reading it.

cute.

The weirdest part of the premise of this article is the argument that the Biden admin was using a "playbook from 2008". If I remember correctly, Larry Summers totally undercut Romer's plan....which means that "playbook" was not used. It also seems to have gone blank on the fact that the Orange Asshole admin was using the counter-cyclical "playbook" too, they put in place the first direct stimulus checks along with monies to states......on the heels of a massive tax cut for upper income earners.

As long as those loan payments are to the rich and corporations its okay, right? Ye ole "golden shower" economic theory?
^^^^
{{{{Can somebody interprets this??}}}}

Wow

We have 40+ years of history to prove the above statement wrong!
do you not understand satire. The OP posed a question and immediately some left dragged out the tax cut/trickled down strawman. People just love to cling to their little fairy tales . No seriois person thinks tax cuts lead to increased tax revenue ( except at very high rates) . Not even the Reagan Admin. ever claimed that. And there is not such economic theory as trickle down ,although , of course, it does. The facts of life are are conservative- have you ever gotten a job from a poor person?

do you not understand satire. The OP posed a question and immediately some left dragged out the tax cut/trickled down strawman. People just love to cling to their little fairy tales . No seriois person thinks tax cuts lead to increased tax revenue ( except at very high rates) . Not even the Reagan Admin. ever claimed that. And there is not such economic theory as trickle down ,although , of course, it does. The facts of life are are conservative- have you ever gotten a job from a poor person?

LOL.. you still buying trickle down or golden shower?

LOL.. you still buying trickle down or golden shower?
I stated my position. There is no economic theory called trickle down. Its a left wing straw man.

I stated my position. There is no economic theory called trickle down. Its a left wing straw man.

LMAO.. there are probably some out there who believe this bullshit..

The Republican solution to this would be the solution they use for every economic problem they encounter: give more money to the upper class in the hopes a few drops tinkle down on the rest of us.

These people are whiners that do not have real solutions. It's like how Republicans lambasted the ACA and Medicare, but dont have a solution for healthcare themselves. 4 years of promises under Trump and we didn't even see a one page proposal.

Yes, tax cuts are their constant droning song, but you can't deny that, in a "perfect" world, they'd also build some death camps.

Um, there is an economic POLICY referred to as "trickle-down", that has been recognized even before the Hoover admin tried to use it. But yer right, no macroeconomist recognizes that policy as a legit theory.

Do you have a link or two of those warnings?

Do you have anything but generalizations about how the left is responsible for this global inflation?

How is it that the world is suffering from inflation because of the pandemic and the war, and ours isn't related? Can you explain that one?

Step 1cis to identify root cause of this inflation.

Most agree, it's two fold...wages for low earners have quickly increased, which has increased operating costs. I'd say that likely accounts for 25% of the currently inflated prices. The other 75% is because production is struggling to keep pace with demand.

Why? Well, a couple reasons. Reason 1, people saved their disposable income for a full year, some for 2. Now they're looking to spend it. Business downsized their labor to align with poor performance the past 2 years, and like the flipping of a light switch, they're expected to ramp up. But hiring, and then training, decent staff, ain't quick and easy.

Then, layer in that a LOT of potential workers...now value themselves more than some of the low level jobs our industries need yo be back at full production. They don't want those jobs. At least, not for 15-18 per hour hour. Remember #essential?

The solution to this...is in some ways out of governments hands, unless they want to be like Reagan crushing unions...but this time, instead of unions, imposing their will on companies, and specifically, their pay structures.

Don't forget, executive pay is still growing exponentially. Far exceeding inflation year over year, as a percent increase. And everybody, including those would be vital workers, knows it.

The extremely wealthy are in many ways causing this mess, and they're the ones best equipped to fix it. The question is, are we OK with having uncle Sam step in and forcing them to fix it.

Executive pay still skyrocketing is a reason unions are necessary. Maybe workers trying to live and not be treated like dirt arent the reason for inflation lol.

You don't get to pretend that this outcome was unavoidable when the right warned everyone this is where we were headed and the left choose to ignore those warnings and mock those those who have been ringing the alarm.

The left made this mess and now they need to sit down and shut up while the adults clean up their mess. Except they won't. They will fight what needs to done, tooth and nail, every step of the way.
Global inflation caused by one political party in one country. Has the Nobel prize commission contacted you yet?

As, across the country, this seems to be their #1 talking point, I've yet to hear what they believe they could do to stem this problem that is affecting all nations across the world.

Indeed, when seen through this international lens, the United States is doing significantly better than most other countries.

So other than braying endlessly about this in every local, state and federal election, I'm waiting for some tangible, practical suggestions on how this can or should be addressed.

For one thing, do away with student loan forgiveness.

Another partisan speech instead of answering the question, how predictable.

Read comment #32

He answered it twice. Forgiving student loan debt and pass it to the tax payer, wasted money on climate change..oops, I mean the renamed inflation reduction act.

Back
Top Bottom