• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you could be a kid again.....

I think you're looking at this from a pretty superficial angle.

Kids these days are also micromanaged and over-worked to an extreme degree. They are literally never allowed to make their own decisions, decide what they like, or just chill out and play with a stick for a while.

Everything is scheduled. You don't go hang out anymore. You have "play dates." Children in middle class life are shuttled around like show ponies because Mr. and Mrs. Stepford don't understand that extracurricular or even academic achievement not the same thing as teaching them to grow into complete people.

I had a great view of this from the outside, because my parents weren't like that (perhaps because they were a bit older than the parents of most of my peers). And it's not like I was some sort of lout. I did extracurriculars, but I did the ones I liked, with a schedule that seemed manageable for me, or at least worth the strain it would put on my schedule.

Children today, in a lot of ways, are abandoned by their parents when it comes to developing critical thinking, having emotional support, making decisions. Their parents only seem concerned with showing society that their kid isn't dumb.

You want to know why kids these days can't even make themselves a hot pocket? Blame their parents.

Not because their parents are "soft," but because they're too hard in all the wrong ways.

Apparently my post came off as if I were blaming the kids. I'm not. I'm blaming a nutso society that puts value in all the wrong places, and parents who buy into the hype. That's why I say kids have it worse today.

That's true. Growing up with all the technology has got to have some kind of an effect on them.

Every month a group of five of us has a girls' night out. At every single one of these, one of the ladies sits there on her cell phone texting her daughter. Jesus. Live in the moment, how 'bout?? ;)

Every month a group of five of us has a girls' night out. At every single one of these, one of the ladies sits there on her cell phone texting her daughter. Jesus. Live in the moment, how 'bout?? ;)

I was out to lunch one day, and there was a couple probably in their early 20s sitting next to me, and they didn't speak to each other the whole time. They spent the whole entire time texting. I was wondering if they were texting each other? :rofl Is actually talking to one another really that bad?

No. My childhood was not exactly rainbows and bunnies. Once was quite enough.

That's true. Growing up with all the technology has got to have some kind of an effect on them.

It is. In three or four generations kids thumbs are all going to be pointy so that they can text more efficiently.

Apparently my post came off as if I were blaming the kids. I'm not. I'm blaming a nutso society that puts value in all the wrong places, and parents who buy into the hype. That's why I say kids have it worse today.

I get that. But I'm more arguing what the problem actually is.

Children are not any more fulfilled by "things" than they ever were in the past. Today's children, parents, and young adults are not any more superficial, at their core, than any generation before them.

It is not so much that parents have a loose grip as it is that they have an extremely tight one, and completely neglect their children's need for developing emotional and intellectual tools of their own.

That tight fist doesn't take the same shape that it did in the past. No, today's parents aren't as much about discipline as they once were, and that is a problem. You're right about that.

But being micromanaged and controlled is a tight fist all its own, and in my opinion, much more harmful than being "too loose" or being discipline-heavy.

I am not interested in being a kid again. Yes there were a lot of good things. I wouldn't get to have any of those experiences in this day and age and if I were to do it all over again, I might not do most of it.

I wouldn't want to reset right now. every mistake I have made has led me to where I am today. And I'm in a pretty good place. However, if at the end of my life I had the opportunity to do it again with all the knowledge I have i would do it, assuming I would start over in a separate time line and not screw things up for people I leave behind in this time line.

This reminds me of a really good bok I read called "Replay"by Ken Grimwood. He dies of a heart attack at the age of 43 and wakes up back in time as his former 18 year old self. So he lives his life differently. Then we turns 43 again, he dies again, and is reset again. This happens over and over and over. It was really a fun read and makes you wonder what you would do in that same situation.

I got my son his first cellphone when he was 12. I thought it was fantastic. When he was away from home, he could get in touch with me, and I with him. No sitting around worrying and wondering if he was ever late or something. If I was ever to be late, I could call him and tell him too. I have no problem with kids having cell phones. It's a really good idea IMO.

Hell yeah. My daughters' cell phones are more for me than for them. They get into stuff they shouldn't be in, I block certain numbers where they can only call Dad and me, and a few family members. But with their cell phones, they have GPS on them so if they were to try to be somewhere they weren't supposed to be, I'd know. Also, I can get in touch with them at any time. Columbine made me look at things differently.

That sounds interesting, Sarcogito. I may look into it.

As far as the OP, no way would I relive my childhood again. We were broke all the time, had no money. Never got new clothes, never got to go anywhere. Even hungry from time to time. It was no fun. But even if we'd been wealthy, I wouldn't relive it anyway. Any thing - even the most minute detail that you change will have an effect on your life today. I love my life today. I have a great husband and great kids. I wouldn't change it for anything.

Doin' my best. Pretty sure I'm on the cusp on some kind of new era right now, actually. It's strange, the way you begin to be able to predict the chapters changing.

What I'm hoping to do in my mid-term future is provide some hope to my generation -- stuck in debt slavery and a never-ending post-grad free labor cycle -- that you can beat the game.

I don't know whether that's true yet, but that's my goal right now, and it seems to be just over that next hill. Mine is a severely disempowered generation, and maybe they just need to know it doesn't have to be that way. I hope it doesn't have to be that way.

They have no concept of their own self-worth, and they make no insistence that other people respect it. I'm so sick of watching my friends be used.

It took me a long time to figure out, apart from joy-writing fiction, what I should write about. I think that's what it should be, at least right now. I'm still too young to claim to be an aficionado at much, but this I know like the back of my hand. But first I need to know if it can be done.

I don't plan on letting my good fortune go to waste.

I get that. But I'm more arguing what the problem actually is.

Children are not any more fulfilled by "things" than they ever were in the past. Today's children, parents, and young adults are not any more superficial, at their core, than any generation before them.

It is not so much that parents have a loose grip as it is that they have an extremely tight one, and completely neglect their children's need for developing emotional and intellectual tools of their own.

That tight fist doesn't take the same shape that it did in the past. No, today's parents aren't as much about discipline as they once were, and that is a problem. You're right about that.

But being micromanaged and controlled is a tight fist all its own, and in my opinion, much more harmful than being "too loose" or being discipline-heavy.

I would be greatly interested in hearing you expand upon some of these issues and ideas. My son is about to turn 18, and the world is a very different place than it was when I was his age; I am attempting to gain an understanding of what it is to be a young person in the world-as-it-is-now, so that I may help him establish himself in it.

I believe the mistakes and hard times were as important if not more so than the positive experiences for my current personality. And though I wouldn't be eager to relive some of the bad things, I definitely miss the health, appearance and carefree state of mind that came with youth. My life isn't miserable but the teens thru my thirties were more mysterious, new and exciting than what the future has become. I loved the 80's-90's but 2000's, not so much.

It's going to vary dramatically from person to person. The kids today have it different more than worse or better, just as all the previous generations did. Without a frame of reference for your youth you don't what a 'better' or 'worse' life is. I've seen south American and African video of impoverished children laughing, playing and kicking a soccer ball around because they probably didn't know how poor they were.

...... would you want to?

Hell no. You know what sort of control, monitoring, lack of freedom kids are going to have to deal with when they're older? It's bad enough as is, I don't want to lengthen it.

No, I wouldn't go back. Stay in my 30s forever, though? Maybe. Best decade ever. However, I would have frozen 25 forever, too, and what a mistake that would have been. I suspect that 40s will be pretty awesome, as well.

Pretty sure I still qualify as a kid :lol:

Eh, being a kid sucks. Highschool, twice?

No thanks. Going back to then knowing what I know, I woulda got laid a lot more. Chicks of a certain age seem to dig losers. I always worked the nice guy angle. Got NO play at all, lol. But then, if I had been getting tail...maybe I woulda knocked one of those girls up. Not good. Only real change I would have made would be choice of college and degree. Deff would have gone to tech school to be either an electrician or a machinist. I worked my nuts off getting a dual major, and have almost nothing to show for it, career wise. Then again, I met my wife in a psychology class...so...that's worked out pretty awesome for me.

Yeah, I guess I wouldn't change much.

I would be greatly interested in hearing you expand upon some of these issues and ideas. My son is about to turn 18, and the world is a very different place than it was when I was his age; I am attempting to gain an understanding of what it is to be a young person in the world-as-it-is-now, so that I may help him establish himself in it.

Absolutely. This is gonna be another long one, Goshin, so get a drink. :lol:

I'm gonna sort of start with what I see a lot of people in my generation growing up with, that makes them uniquely susceptible to getting trapped in their adulthood. I doubt many of these childhood factors apply to your son, knowing you, but he will hear the disempowering arguments they spawn when he is in college, so he needs to be aware of them regardless.

So, how they grow up. A lot of people refer to this as "helicopter parenting."

A lot of kids -- particularly in the middle and middle-upper class -- have parents who see success for their child in terms of grades and extracurricular achievement. There's nothing inherently wrong with having those things be some tools among many, but the problem is they give them WAY too much weight, and it's reflected in their parenting style.

From preschool age or even before, everything is about getting their kid into the most advanced programs possible, winning them ribbons, and having their entire day scheduled after they leave school.

And in school these days -- even in gifted programs -- it's not geared towards critical thinking as such. It's geared towards high test scores, and good reflection on the school.

After they get out of schools, it's off to work. Maybe they have skiing, quiz bowl, and math club, all in the same night. They leave for school at 7am and get home at 9pm.

They have no time to just... sit around and think. Be creative. Play with a stick in the dirt. Even hanging out with their friends is scheduled between the parents. It's a "play day," rather than a kid hopping on their bike and going down the street and saying they'll be back before dinner.

At no point has anyone ever asked this kid what they ENJOY doing, and what they would LIKE to be involved with, or what they THINK about anything.

Pushing children to attain externally validating signs of achievement -- high scores, ribbons, etc -- has taken the place of teaching them how to be people. It's an intense form of living vicariously through your children.

Children often don't get much emotional support from their parents, partly because they're always off doing something and partly because navigating the confusion of childhood openly would look bad to society, and so they don't indulge it. Children get no intellectual support at all. They aren't asked what they think. They aren't asked to make decisions, and face reward or consequence. And they are spoon-fed what their beliefs about society should be (and in some cases, yes, this takes the form of a hyper-partisan liberal bias, but this depends where you are).

These kids reach adulthood having never been asked to do something like choose what they're going to do tonight, or even clean up their own mess. People see that they don't know how to even wash dishes and assume they've been spoiled and coddled all their lives, but that isn't the problem. The problem is they were too busy being run around like show ponies to ever acquire those kinds of skills.

Being raised this way has a deeper consequence as well, and it is one that is ruining the entire lives of almost everyone in my generation.

They are used to spending long hours doing something they hate for no benefit. And furthermore, they haven't developed critical thinking or decision-making skills, leaving them extremely vulnerable to pressure from authority.

And this is where the real problems begin.

They are told there is no way to a successful adulthood than a straight-through shot at a 4-year university immediately after high school. This is still true even if they cannot afford it without $50,000 or $100,000 of debt. There is no other option, as it's presented to them by their parents, their school, and banks.

Furthermore, they must go to the most expensive school they can get into to prove their prestige -- the show pony mentality.

This lands the majority of them in enormous amounts of debt at 22 years of age. I will say that my generation -- older than your son -- had another confounding factor, which is that tuition jumped dramatically the year after they began attending, which threw off their financial plans, so that's a problem as well. But even the younger ones are making the same mistake.

They think that since they'll have the degree, they'll get a good job, live below their means, and they'll be able to pay it off.

But then they get hit with the second aspect of the equation: their high tolerance for being used for no benefit.

Employers these days are aware of this, and they capitalize on it. Internships used to be something you did once, for a few months, and after that, you qualified for a decent paying entry level job.

Not anymore. Now, internships take up the first 5 to 10 years of your career, and they are extremely demanding. They're 20-40 hours a week, on call 24/7, and you're doing the same level of work as the people getting paid... except you're doing it for free. You don't even get college credit.

Employers do this because they know they can get away with it. They know these people have no concept of their own self-worth.

These kids believe they HAVE to do this to get ahead. But in reality, all they're doing is trapping themselves.

I know a woman who graduated with a journalism degree from a good school at 22, and at 28 years old, she is STILL doing unpaid internships. She can't get anything else, apart from low-wage work.

And the reason she can't get anything else is because she has nothing but unpaid internships on her resume. Employers see that, and they know if they push her, they can get her to work for free for them too.

Meanwhile, her debt continues to grow, as she sits on the interest unable to get a decent-paying job.

The cumulative effect of all this is a class of permanent debt slaves, being constantly under-sold for their talents, with no way out.

And my advice to everyone I meet who is staring down the barrel of this and wondering if they have no choice but to just sell themselves to it is to NOT give in.

Do NOT believe there is only one way to make it. If you want to take a break from school, take it. If you don't think you can afford a particular school, don't go. If you would rather do something else, or go to a vocational school, or start, take a break, and come back, do it. There is MORE THAN ONE WAY to succeed.

And when you're through it, DO NOT take an unpaid internship, unless you are in a small pool of very technical programs (engineers and doctors, things like that). If you're not in something like that, don't EVER do it. Never put ANYTHING on your resume that you weren't paid for. I didn't even do my college paper for free.

You CAN beat the game, but you have to let them know you're not going to take it lying down.

Some background on myself: I am looking at this from the outside. I'm of this generation, but my life has been nothing like that.

I traveled for 4 years after high school. I knew I was not ready for college. I had no desire to do it. I wanted to see the world before I did something so presumptuous as try to write about it. I got my BA in Life before I ever went to school.

While I was doing that, I took whatever odd jobs I could find, but I also kept my eye out for little opportunities to write. And I did find some. I took it, whatever it was, no matter how temporary or low-paid (as long as it was paid).

I went back to school at 22. I started at community college, because I could do it without debt. I moved to the top of the paper quickly, and we became one of the biggest players for a community college in the country (partly on the work of my predecessors, I will say). I wore myself ragged for that, but I did it for a reason. And like I said, I didn't do that for free either.

Right now, I'm taking a break from school. And you know why?

To continue right now will cost me financially. I don't want to go into debt. But also... because I might not have to.

At the moment, I am about this far away from getting where I'm going. I currently work as a caption editor, which is in and of itself a skilled job. I beat out people with degrees for this job. And I am seriously in the running for an editor position on an actual paper. And I know I'm the best writer in the pool. If I wasn't, they wouldn't even consider me, because I haven't graduated. So I know that I must be. Wish me luck...

I have no degree. I have never done an internship. I have no debt.

I did not know when I started this path that I was doing everything right, but apparently, I am. I am pulling ahead of my friends with degrees because I DIDN'T play the game.

I insist that my time is worth paying for. I never stopped doing what I love, even when I was traveling. I've been working at it all my life, I'm good, and that is worth real money. And I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.

This was a complete accident on my part. I had no idea what I was doing. I had no idea this was going to lead somewhere good. So this isn't me claiming to be oh-so-wise and everyone should do exactly what I do. I just got lucky. I'm a bull-headed person, and I never had any choice but to do things my own way.

But I'm very good proof that you don't have to play the game. And in fact, you might do better if you don't, because when you don't let yourself be pushed around, employers won't see you as a free lunch they can just use and abuse and then throw away.

I am sick of watching my friends drown. And as good as it feels to be making my own way, I am even more excited about being an example that can make them think that maybe they don't have to drown. Maybe there's another way.

Last edited:
Absolutely. This is gonna be another long one, Goshin, so get a drink. :lol:

.... lotsa deep stuff....

I am sick of watching my friends drown. And as good as it feels to be making my own way, I am even more excited about being an example that can make them think that maybe they don't have to drown. Maybe there's another way.

Thank you, much food for thought there.

You're correct that my son didn't get raised in that manner. I know people doing that, and I've always asked "When does the kid have time just to be himself??" I didn't realize it was such an ubiquitous problem though.

I will mull all this over and see what I can pass on to my son... and know that you have my thanks for that.

5-10 years of unpaid internships?? Insanity.... I worked summers in my teenage years for the local peach baron; I worked hard and didn't get paid a lot, but I got paid. The first time I encountered the concept of an unpaid internship it offended me to my very toes... work for free??? :)

Thank you, much food for thought there.

You're correct that my son didn't get raised in that manner. I know people doing that, and I've always asked "When does the kid have time just to be himself??" I didn't realize it was such an ubiquitous problem though.

I will mull all this over and see what I can pass on to my son... and know that you have my thanks for that.

5-10 years of unpaid internships?? Insanity.... I worked summers in my teenage years for the local peach baron; I worked hard and didn't get paid a lot, but I got paid. The first time I encountered the concept of an unpaid internship it offended me to my very toes... work for free??? :)

It's a plague, helicopter parenting. I remember, when I was in high school, noticing it for the first time and thinking it was pretty ridiculous. But I had no idea how bad it would be for them a few years later...

Internships didn't used to be so bad. Typically you did them while you were still in college, and they counted towards college credit. Also, you spent a lot of time observing and learning. You weren't doing the same work as the paid people. It was a genuinely education-focused experience. I wouldn't have minded doing that, if that's how things were today.

But it's not. Now, it's a way to get people to work full-time for absolutely nothing, even once they're out of college. It's an extremely dangerous thing to find yourself sliding into. It can destroy your career before it's even begun.

I'd say the most important thing for him to know is that he's worth something, and he should never allow anyone to tell him otherwise. He should never allow himself to feel as though he's blessed just to be in the presence of employed people. He deserves that recognition too.

And it's not about impressing society. It's about impressing himself, doing what brings him fulfillment, and being the best at it he can be. If he's good, and he has a sense of his worth, the success will follow.

SaM, do you think that alot of schools push kids because they benefit more from the students' high test scores?

My last two babies are now almost 14 and almost 16. I've never tried to "helicopter parent" with them, because I'm not that kind of a parent. I'm not "super Mom" and I've never tried to be. I work to try to be a good Mom, and be there for them, but I want them to, at least a little, make some mistakes. I have an older daughter, 27, and she's old enough to make her own mistakes now. If it's something big, I try to talk her out of it (like marrying the guy she married) but that only pushed her away, so with her, at least, I let her make her own mistakes. With the girls, I think they are too young to make big mistakes, but I let them learn from small ones. It's the only way I ever learned, was from my mistakes.
The only thing I've told them is that I want them to pick some kind of extracurricular activity. Do it for a year. If you don't like it, move on to another one. But do something. Extracurricular activities are good because they help the kids have something to look forward to, and to give them a skill to hone, but also because it looks great on college applications. My 16 year old is taking drama, and my 14 year old is learning guitar, after taking band for a year and realizing it wasn't for her.

As far as internship, I heard on The Today Show the other day that internships may be on the way out, because they are blatantly violating labor laws. IMO, it's about time.

The Court Ruling That Could End Unpaid Internships for Good - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

My 16 year old is well old enough to start thinking about where she wants to be in her life. As a Sophomore, she needs to have her classes planned out that will benefit what she wants to do. She just doesn't want to do anything. She wants to do hair and nails. That's it. She's a very pretty girl, and everybody loves how she does makeup, and she's in demand for manicures because she has a very steady hand, and does individual, very personal manicures. I tried to explain to her that she won't make a good living doing that, and she said that it's what she enjoys. I then agreed to a compromise. Go to college. Doesn't have to be Ivy League. Just a college. Do your hair and nails at night, or in your spare time. Once you are out of college, if you still want to do hair and nails, be my guest. I want her to be happy, but I also want her to be marketable. I won't push her to go to grad school. That will be her choice. But I want her to have a good start in life.

I'm so glad that you are where you are, without finishing school, but I'm sure you understand that you are a rarity. So many employers want a 4 year degree - doesn't matter if it's a degree in basket weaving - they want a degree. I want her to have that and from that point on, she can do what she wants.

Thank you very much for this insight. I know it was more meant for Goshin, but I read it, too - every word. Kids won't always tell the parents what's going on with them, even when we try to pull it out of them. It's nice to have some perspective from someone closer in age to them.

Thank you again. <hug>

SaM, do you think that alot of schools push kids because they benefit more from the students' high test scores?

Without a doubt. It affects their rankings, and their funding. High school advisors are more interested in their rankings than they are in your student. Don't ever forget that.

My last two babies are now almost 14 and almost 16. I've never tried to "helicopter parent" with them, because I'm not that kind of a parent. I'm not "super Mom" and I've never tried to be. I work to try to be a good Mom, and be there for them, but I want them to, at least a little, make some mistakes. I have an older daughter, 27, and she's old enough to make her own mistakes now. If it's something big, I try to talk her out of it (like marrying the guy she married) but that only pushed her away, so with her, at least, I let her make her own mistakes. With the girls, I think they are too young to make big mistakes, but I let them learn from small ones. It's the only way I ever learned, was from my mistakes.
The only thing I've told them is that I want them to pick some kind of extracurricular activity. Do it for a year. If you don't like it, move on to another one. But do something. Extracurricular activities are good because they help the kids have something to look forward to, and to give them a skill to hone, but also because it looks great on college applications. My 16 year old is taking drama, and my 14 year old is learning guitar, after taking band for a year and realizing it wasn't for her.

I totally agree. I think it's great for kids to be involved with something. I always was. I had one or two extracurricular activities at any given point in my high school career, and I think it was great for helping me learn about what I enjoyed doing, and also providing a place for things I enjoy, but may not want to make a career out of.

But I'm talking about kids with 5 different extracurricular at any given moment. It's absolute madness, and they're always being pushed by their parents. No kid wants to do that.

As far as internship, I heard on The Today Show the other day that internships may be on the way out, because they are blatantly violating labor laws. IMO, it's about time.

The Court Ruling That Could End Unpaid Internships for Good - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

Best news I've heard all week. This is the modern child labor, as far as I'm concerned.

My 16 year old is well old enough to start thinking about where she wants to be in her life. As a Sophomore, she needs to have her classes planned out that will benefit what she wants to do. She just doesn't want to do anything. She wants to do hair and nails. That's it. She's a very pretty girl, and everybody loves how she does makeup, and she's in demand for manicures because she has a very steady hand, and does individual, very personal manicures. I tried to explain to her that she won't make a good living doing that, and she said that it's what she enjoys. I then agreed to a compromise. Go to college. Doesn't have to be Ivy League. Just a college. Do your hair and nails at night, or in your spare time. Once you are out of college, if you still want to do hair and nails, be my guest. I want her to be happy, but I also want her to be marketable. I won't push her to go to grad school. That will be her choice. But I want her to have a good start in life.

I'm so glad that you are where you are, without finishing school, but I'm sure you understand that you are a rarity. So many employers want a 4 year degree - doesn't matter if it's a degree in basket weaving - they want a degree. I want her to have that and from that point on, she can do what she wants.

You know what?

If she's good, she could actually make quite a great living. Do you have any idea what some people will pay for the best of the best in the cosmetology world?

The fact that she's in demand now shows that she is good, and creative, and motivated. Imagine what she could do with some professional direction. Maybe even some art classes. For people who really love it and do it well, this is an art form. It really is. It's design, and flow, and taking the mundane and making it something kind of fantastic.

I am not trying to tell you how to parent, and I'm sorry if it comes off like that, but this is what I hear: You're scared.

You're scared by the exact same thing that kids are scared of when they take unpaid internships. They're scared there's only one way to success.

You don't have to be scared. She's good.

Yeah, I admit it, I'm rare. But you know why I'm rare? Because, like your daughter, I only had one thing I ever loved doing. I don't write. I'm a writer. I'm a writer more than I'm even a person. I've been doing it all my life, I'd give up anything to keep doing it, and because of that, I'm good.

People who know what they are and are good are not beholden to the standard rules that apply to people who don't know what they are yet, or may simply be jack-of-all-trades.

Being passionate about something changes the rules of the game.

What does she have to gain from spending 4 years learning about sociology and calculus? Does she have the drive to even finish? I don't know if I do. Because that isn't where my passion lies. That's something worth considering. It's part of the total equation, because it's not cheap and without sacrifice.

Don't be scared. She's good.

Thank you very much for this insight. I know it was more meant for Goshin, but I read it, too - every word. Kids won't always tell the parents what's going on with them, even when we try to pull it out of them. It's nice to have some perspective from someone closer in age to them.

Thank you again. <hug>

You're very welcome.

Thanks, hon. I do so worry about her, and want her to do what's right for her to get her a good start, but I also want her to be happy. That, to me, is very important. She's my child. If she's trying to work, and trying to make it and she needs help, I'll open my wallet for her - every single time. I just want her to be happy and well-adjusted. She has her issues, but she's almost 16. Show me a 16 year old who doesn't have issues, and I'll show you a 16 year old who's lying. :lol:

Thanks, hon. I do so worry about her, and want her to do what's right for her to get her a good start, but I also want her to be happy. That, to me, is very important. She's my child. If she's trying to work, and trying to make it and she needs help, I'll open my wallet for her - every single time. I just want her to be happy and well-adjusted. She has her issues, but she's almost 16. Show me a 16 year old who doesn't have issues, and I'll show you a 16 year old who's lying. :lol:

Yeah, I understand. My dad worried too. Hell, he probably still does. Every parent wants their kid to be happy, but they also want them to be secure. And the mainline into a "standard" college experience often seems like the best way to ensure security... but unfortunately it's not always a way to happiness. Sometimes, it's not even the way to security (as much as those who are selling it would like you believe it is).

It's my experience with myself and other passionate people that we'd rather be happy than secure. I've known people who've made it at the most unbelievably weird things, including as a professional clown (and not a birthday party clown either -- he's the real deal). There's always a few years of stretching pennies and dead ends and struggle, and there was for me too, but have some faith in her ability to make it happen.

It is also my experience that most passionate people are not without "issues." These often get better the more they are doing what they're made to do. They have gotten dramatically better for me. If you'd told me 5 years ago that I would be this happy and mentally well, I would have laughed in your face... and then done another shot.

Back
Top Bottom