• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I Don't Care What Your Faith Or Spirituality Happens To Be.......You Have ToLove This

Re: Very Typical Red State Palaver

Did they do genital mutilation right on the kitchen table?? ;)

Maybe. I only saw part of one episode as in the part at the beginning up until whatever point a few minutes later I was asleep. It had a pretty boring cast.

The made a reality show out of people diving into pools. They made a reality show about the amish. At least this seems to have some sort of excitement associated with it. I do not get reality TV, but there are obviously much more boring things to watch. I don't get why people even have cable anymore, but they are paying for it so they should get it.

We are having the set top boxes pulled from our house this week. We have sworn off cable; we were no longer watching it anyway.

Just like 'Westboro' the media likes to use ~70 people in EXTREME scenarios to paint with a broad brush.

Oh well.

Re: I Don't Care What Your Faith Or Spirituality Happens To Be.......You Have ToLove

My dad has a pretty funny story. He and his brother were in town chatting up these two hotties they met. The girls invited them to come to church with them and it was one of those fire and brimstone churches. They were like whatever, and then out comes the rattle snakes and they were jumping pews to get the heck out of there. He said there was a point at which he thought the church was going to have two new doors because they were crashing into everything at full speed to get the heck out of that building.

My dad's youngest brother was a Holiness preacher a long time ago.......in the 1930's. One of their Wednesday night services in the dead of winter they had a blazing fire in one of the old style wood burning stoves. My uncle got all wrapped up in his sermon and started backing away from the front pews while motioning with both hands to the congregation to emphasize a point. He wasn't aware that he was as close to the stove as he was and backed into it, turned the entire stove over in the floor and straddled it. He laid on his stomach for three weeks. Someone had to feed him by hand. His buttocks and upper legs inside had third degree burns....both sides, both buttocks.

My Dad and my other uncles rode him for years about that. They said he yelled "Jesus Christ" about the time he straddled the stove. I think maybe that part was just his brothers making fun of him.

Last edited:
Re: I Don't Care What Your Faith Or Spirituality Happens To Be.......You Have ToLove

If I wanted to paint all Christians with the same brush I would ask them how they got off by believing a 2000 year old fairy tale which was going to give them a reward after they die while at the same time assuring them that because I didn't believe their fairy tale I would do an eternal roast on the Jesus' rotisserie.

Your questions are indicative of someone who doesn't understand christianity. It isn't about getting a reward and people "like you"getting punished.

Your questions are indicative of someone who doesn't understand christianity. It isn't about getting a reward and people "like you"getting punished.

Go ahead and admit it. You haven't even read it. I read and studied the new testament through at least ten times. At one time while I was in my 20's I had nearly all of the new testament memorized....chapter and verse:

John 3:

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

The whole red state/blue state thing is absolutely stupid. Actually one of the few good things Obama ever said. I live in a very Republican suburb in a very Republican county. Have not seen a snake charmer or anything like that. Now,when I have traveled to the western part of this state,I have seen what one could call hillbillies or trailer trash. You know what? Looked on our state elections site and found that those areas(rural,poor,uneducated)voted overwhelmingly for Obama. Who knows,maybe they like snakes too?

Go ahead and admit it. You haven't even read it. I read and studied the new testament through at least ten times. At one time while I was in my 20's I had nearly all of the new testament memorized....chapter and verse:

John 3:

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

I have studied the Bible for a couple of years including the original languages. I can't recite it from memory however.

I have studied the Bible for a couple of years including the original languages. I can't recite it from memory however.

Then how in the name of goodness can you deny that according to the writings of ignorant primitives who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat that I am condemned to eternal hell fire?

John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Revelation 21:8

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Then how in the name of goodness can you deny that according to the writings of ignorant primitives who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat that I am condemned to eternal hell fire?

John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Revelation 21:8

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

I Make no judgments.

Snake handlers are ****faces. They stress and injure the snakes. They should be shot or banned on the basis of animal welfare.

Snake handlers are ****faces. They stress and injure the snakes. They should be shot or banned on the basis of animal welfare.

I live down here. Take my word for it. Snake handling is one of their high points. Most of them return to a shack or a trailer park in their rusted out 70's model pickup trucks. They would have a hard time saying **** if they had a mouthful....and every one of them vote straight Republican tickets.

Last edited:

I guess mainly because I didn't know there was a prohibitive rule covering that eventuality. If there's ever been a story which deserved revelation in two forums.....political and religion, this has to be the one. I suppose one has to go to India to find other folks foolish enough to mess around with poisonous snakes:

Moderator's Warning:
No. Placing identical threads in two different forums could be considered spamming. Do not do this. Threads merged.

I live down here. Take my word for it. Snake handling is one of their high points. Most of them return to a shack or a trailer park in their rusted out 70's model pickup trucks. They would have a hard time saying **** if they had a mouthful....and every one of them vote straight Republican tickets.

And on the other side, the Dems have you, so y'know, both parties have adherants that couldn't think their way out of a wet paper sack.

And I can find a bunch of gold toothed doo rag wearing gang bangers that live in **** holes like detroit and chicago that vote straight democrat, what's your point?

My dad's youngest brother was a Holiness preacher a long time ago.......in the 1930's. One of their Wednesday night services in the dead of winter they had a blazing fire in one of the old style wood burning stoves. My uncle got all wrapped up in his sermon and started backing away from the front pews while motioning with both hands to the congregation to emphasize a point. He wasn't aware that he was as close to the stove as he was and backed into it, turned the entire stove over in the floor and straddled it. He laid on his stomach for three weeks. Someone had to feed him by hand. His buttocks and upper legs inside had third degree burns....both sides, both buttocks.

My Dad and my other uncles rode him for years about that. They said he yelled "Jesus Christ" about the time he straddled the stove. I think maybe that part was just his brothers making fun of him.

There you go again telling your life stories... :roll:

Campbell has created two threads on this snake-handling; the other thread is in the Religion forum. And a noob named Vesper has posted such a nice response that I'm reposting it here:

I'm a newbie here but digging around through the threads I've noticed there is much to do over those religious practices that are outside the mainstream and often an effort by several here to attempt to paint all Christians with the same brush. What I didn't find a whole lot of were threads pointing out all the good the Christian community does for society. The hungry they feed, the poor they help clothe, the visitation of those in prisons and hospitals that have been forgotten. The shelters and soup kitchens they open up to all in need that are funded through personal donations and worked by those giving of their own time without pay. The clinics for the sick run by Christian doctors, dentists, and nurses that freely donate hours each week to help the needy or counseling for drug addicts and drunks. Nope you don't here about them in the MSM but let there be something weird and it makes front page news and series on television or it's own special thread on a chat forum. http://www.debatepolitics.com/relig...ith-spirituality-happens-you-have-tolove.html

What about their promise, after your death wink, wink...that you Christians will meet a ghost floating on a cloud to fly away on gossamer wings and live in bliss forever while poor folks like myself who don't believe that 2000 year old fairy tale burn in a lake of fire and brimstone? I'm a Jack and the Beanstalk man myself.

What about their promise, after your death wink, wink...that you Christians will meet a ghost floating on a cloud to fly away on gossamer wings and live in bliss forever while poor folks like myself who don't believe that 2000 year old fairy tale burn in a lake of fire and brimstone? I'm a Jack and the Beanstalk man myself.
What is contained in that promise that constitutes a threat to you? Nothing.

What is contained in that promise that constitutes a threat to you? Nothing.

I suggest you read the goddam thing. Pay attention...I DON'T BELIEVE THAT 2000 YEAR OLD CONCOCTION OF HORSE ****!

John 3
18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Rev 21
8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Now tell me.....why would I want to believe a fairy tale that automatically condemns me to eternal hell fire? DUUUH

Last edited:

To say that snake handling is "very typical" of red states is a lie. Snake handling congregations are very rare -- only 5 such congregations are known in the entire USA. Several red states have passed laws forbidding the practice.

I found this:

Snake handling is a rare activity practiced by a small number of Pentecostal congregations on the basis on Mark 16:17-18. Practitioners believe snake handling is a demonstration of their faith in God.

While advocates of snake handling come out of Pentecostal churches, no major Christian denomination, Pentecostal or otherwise, supports the practice.

...Congregations where snake handling occurs tend to be very small. Snake handlers have reportedly been bitten on numerous occasions. Some have even died. Notably, in 1998, evangelist John Wayne Brown, died after being bitten while handling a snake in an Alabama church. His wife also died from a snake bite. Snake Handling - ReligionFacts

I don't intend to be disrespectful here, but when I read that congregations that snake-handle tend to be very small, I thought, "I'll bet!!"

I suggest you read the goddam thing. Pay attention...I DON'T BELIEVE THAT 2000 YEAR OLD CONCOCTION OF HORSE ****!

John 3
18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Rev 21
8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
If you don't believe it, then the rest is meaningless to start with. I think something else is bothering you, but it's not rationally connected to the religious beliefs you decry.

Back
Top Bottom