• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hypothetical scenario

Hypothetical scenario

• Stop the abortion.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop the killing of the born child.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
it's a load of crap. if you choose to save the born child then you will say "ah ha gotcha, you don't value the fetus as much. you pro lifers are hypocrits" If you choose to save the fetus, then it is a "ah ha gotcha, you pro lifers care more about a blob of cells than you do a real person".

It is a classic example of the loaded question. there is no satisfactory answer that does not set the "victim" up for a "gotcha"

It's a Poor choice for sure , but I do get the thrust of the question. As a Conservative I can chose to save the one month old because it's Right there before my eyes and I'm a flawed Human being. However these kind of Rotten Choice questions can be applied to a whole host of issues - like Who should get in the Lifeboat(??) Who should We pull the plug on (??) Who goes in on the First Wave at Normandy, Tarawa or Iwo (???0

it's a load of crap. if you choose to save the born child then you will say "ah ha gotcha, you don't value the fetus as much. you pro lifers are hypocrits" If you choose to save the fetus, then it is a "ah ha gotcha, you pro lifers care more about a blob of cells than you do a real person".

It is a classic example of the loaded question. there is no satisfactory answer that does not set the "victim" up for a "gotcha"

BS. You could have said, "I'd flip a coin". The reason you didn't think of it is because it isn't how you feel.

See post 11

Good job. But then why call it a lame question? It brings the matter down to the essential. A perfectly legitimate query.

I like how three people voted "neither"- that they would not stop the killing of a month-old child.
That's such total BS. You know you would too. :roll:

This is asking "pick the child that you want the murderer to kill" to a pro-lifer. Many people would have a hard time making such a decision from a pro-life pov. To our side of this, it would be like asking "would you rather a woman kill her 1 yo or her 2 yo child". The only difference is the legality of such a scenario. Sure choice #1 is legal, but that doesn't mean that pro-lifers don't still see it as an unnecessary loss of life for all the given cases.

Reactions: mac
Both is murder, and both lives are equally valuable. I can't chose because both are equally wrong. How about we jail the woman who wants to murder her 1 month old, and stop the woman who is 5 months pregnant from killing her unborn?

Let's say that for whatever you find yourself in a situation where you have a choice to make.

You have an opportunity to do one of the following:

1. Stop a woman who is 5 months pregnant from having an abortion. If you choose this option, she will not have an abortion at a later date, and nature will take its course in terms of the development of the fetus.

2. Stop the mother of a month-old infant from killing it. If you choose this option, she will not later kill the child, and nature will take its course in terms of the child's development.

The whys and hows don't really matter, only the outcome. For whatever reason, choosing both outcomes is not an option. You must choose one or the other (or neither). Feel free to expound on why you chose what you did.

#2 because the child, once born, is statistically more likely to survive and thrive over a fetus. This is assuming that if neither choice is taken than both children die. If so, choosing #2 will likely do the most good as it gives the best chance of preserving life.

However, if the outcome is unknown if no choice is made, I would make no choice.

Last edited:
BS. You could have said, "I'd flip a coin". The reason you didn't think of it is because it isn't how you feel.

I'd flip a coin is a BS cop-out. this is set up to be a no win scenario. it is totally unrealistic and it could be validly argued that the OP is baiting.

would you rather cut off your left leg or your right leg?

I'm opposed to abortion after the first trimester and I think that killing a 5 month old fetus should never be allowed unless there is a direct threat to the mother's life. That said, if faced with this "can only save one" situation I would save the 1 month old's life, no doubt or hesitation in my mind whatsoever. Just thinking about it makes my instinct kick in and I can literally see myself snatching that child away from his obviously sick mother.

This is asking "pick the child that you want the murderer to kill" to a pro-lifer. Many people would have a hard time making such a decision from a pro-life pov. To our side of this, it would be like asking "would you rather a woman kill her 1 yo or her 2 yo child". The only difference is the legality of such a scenario. Sure choice #1 is legal, but that doesn't mean that pro-lifers don't still see it as an unnecessary loss of life for all the given cases.

If you are pro-life the legality of choice one is irrelevant. The woman going to the abortionist to kill her unborn child is just as despicable as the woman wanting to kill her one month old born child.

Good job. But then why call it a lame question? It brings the matter down to the essential. A perfectly legitimate query.

Because regardless of which option someone picks the OP could still accuse the pro-lifer of not equally valuing both the child in the womb and the child outside the womb. The OP could simply say you are just using some bull **** reason like legality to stop one and not the other.

it could be validly argued that the OP is baiting.

If you feel that way, go ahead and report the post and see where it gets you. I can assure you that the question wasn't set up as a 'gotcha' scenario though, and I've acknowledged that the question I asked isn't likely to get me the information that I want to know. There's no need to continue getting your panties in a wad over it.

I'm not really sure what the OP is trying to show. Someone who doesn't think the fetus and the child are equal will always choose the child. Someone who thinks they are equal is faced with two options that are, well, equal, and they aren't even given an option to tell you that. "Neither" would be better replaced with "both options are equally horrid because it will involve the death of one child."

I suppose you could find some psychopaths based on who picks "neither." :D

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what the OP is trying to show. Someone who doesn't think the fetus and the child are equal will always choose the child. Someone who thinks they are equal is faced with two options that are, well, equal, and they aren't even given an option to tell you that. "Neither" would be better replaced with "both options are equally horrid because it will involve the death of one child."I suppose you could find some psychopaths based on who picks "neither." :D

I think that was the whole point of the thread. It was baiting the pro-life crowd in an attempt to paint them all as hypocrites. If you are a pro-lifer, none of the options presented are satisfactory.

Let's say that for whatever you find yourself in a situation where you have a choice to make.

You have an opportunity to do one of the following:

1. Stop a woman who is 5 months pregnant from having an abortion. If you choose this option, she will not have an abortion at a later date, and nature will take its course in terms of the development of the fetus.

2. Stop the mother of a month-old infant from killing it. If you choose this option, she will not later kill the child, and nature will take its course in terms of the child's development.

The whys and hows don't really matter, only the outcome. For whatever reason, choosing both outcomes is not an option. You must choose one or the other (or neither). Feel free to expound on why you chose what you did.

It depends. Which one is my wife? :2razz:

Seriously, though, who it is does make a difference. My wife is coming up on 5 months pregnant with our first child. If she was the woman in the first scenario, I'd pick that one.

If it was two strangers, I'd pick the second.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom