• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many here have ever been on any type of welfare?

Have you ever been on any type of welfare?

• Total voters
Does disability count?

Yes. Like many others, I received federal loans and grants in order to go to college.

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot for a moment how quite literal people are here. :p I am talking about things like foodstamps, housing assistance, things like that.

Sorry, I forgot for a moment how quite literal people are here. :p I am talking about things like foodstamps, housing assistance, things like that.

Technically the modern equivalent of "welfare" is the "Temporary Assistance for Needy Families" program.

But in general, I think you can regard those other things, as social welfare.

Student loans, food stamps, medical assistance, reduced school lunch program, nontraditional mortgage

Not positive (as I really wasn't paying much attention to such things during my younger years), but I believe the only area that might qualify are my federally backed student loans/grants and whatnot.

I might have been able to collected unemployment at one point or another, but I didn't – mainly cause it didn’t occur to me.

But partially because I don't like the idea in some ways.

Yes. Like many others, I received federal loans and grants in order to go to college.

I wouldn't really call a federal loan a type of welfare for the simple reason that you have to pay it back. Same with the grants for college as the government will eventually get a return on it via taxes since you are or will be making more money than just a high school graduate. Which of course means that you will pay more in taxes.

Does disability count?

In all honesty I would have to say yes and no. It seems that there are alot of "disabilities" in the world today that shouldn't really be called a disability...at least imo. For me a disability thats reasonable and acceptable to recieve assistance is one that is physical in nature and is to the point as to make it near impossible to hold a job or of extreme mental incapcity.

When I was a kid at primary school we all used to get free milk, up till 10 years ago when dentists were allowed to go private I received (like everyone else in the UK) free dental care, as a UK citizen I get free medical care. As a young man, my B.A. was paid for by the Govt - as was my Master's degree.

In the period between academic years, I had a couple of short periods of unemployment and got what was then called unemployment benefit. When I stayed in the city I was studying at I also recieved housing benefit. Generally however that all ended 23 years ago when I finally completed my Master's. I've been fully employed or worked freelance since and paid all my costs as well as my taxes back into the system.

When I was a kid at primary school we all used to get free milk, up till 10 years ago when dentists were allowed to go private I received (like everyone else in the UK) free dental care, as a UK citizen I get free medical care. As a young man, my B.A. was paid for by the Govt - as was my Master's degree.

In the period between academic years, I had a couple of short periods of unemployment and got what was then called unemployment benefit. When I stayed in the city I was studying at I also recieved housing benefit. Generally however that all ended 23 years ago when I finally completed my Master's. I've been fully employed or worked freelance since and paid all my costs as well as my taxes back into the system.

Thank you. You just reaffirm my belief that government assistance when it comes to schooling is not really a welfare program as much as it is just an investment in the future. An investment that will eventually pay more into the system than those that do not get the chance to go beyond high school.

Aren't we all?

We eat right? Therefore we're all welfare (well, 99.5% of us)

And anyone who bought a house with a loan is on welfare as well.

Never have.

*knock wood*

Not sure why you want to make a distinction between different kinds of assistance. Personal financial assistance from official sources is basically welfare, college grants, disability payments, foodstamps etc. If you want to distinguish between different kinds, you might like to be specific about what you deem to be welfare and why you make distinctions.

Not sure why you want to make a distinction between different kinds of assistance. Personal financial assistance from official sources is basically welfare, college grants, disability payments, foodstamps etc. If you want to distinguish between different kinds, you might like to be specific about what you deem to be welfare and why you make distinctions.

Exactly. Hence why anyone who buys food from a grocery store is on welfare. And anyone who takes a home mortgage deduction on their taxes is on welfare.

Exactly. Hence why anyone who buys food from a grocery store is on welfare. And anyone who takes a home mortgage deduction on their taxes is on welfare.

How is a person on welfare by buying food from a grocery store.

How is a person on welfare by buying food from a grocery store.

Do you understand the concept of corporate welfare to the large agricultural companies in the US? It's functionally trickle down financial assistance from official sources. Ethanol is a good example of this too. When we define welfare as "financial assistance from official sources" that makes a great many products we use welfare related and by using them, we use welfare.

Do you understand the concept of corporate welfare to the large agricultural companies in the US? It's functionally trickle down financial assistance from official sources. Ethanol is a good example of this too. When we define welfare as "financial assistance from official sources" that makes a great many products we use welfare related and by using them, we use welfare.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. I took the term welfare in the OP to be defined as what most Americans associate the term 'welfare' with. Food stamps, reduced housing based on poverty levels. Public assistance in the simplest of definitions.

I think the connections get a bit tenuous when you use a broad definition like that. It could be argued that everyone is taking advantage of "welfare" at all times by living in a society with a functioning economy, paved roads, and laws against murder. If you define something that broadly, it loses all meaning.

I think that one possible way to describe "welfare" in the sense that the OP is getting at would be "benefits bestowed directly upon an individual for reasons other than engaging in an economically preferred activity."

Student loans and the home buyer tax credit would be excluded from this definition, while food stamps and disability payments would be included.

-- An investment that will eventually pay more into the system than those that do not get the chance to go beyond high school.

That is my belief too and I think, that of most Brits. Obviously people would prefer not to pay the higher taxes to fund such things but investment has a cost. In the public consultation here on cuts to services that we agree with - education and health have been low on the target list in the public's mind.

I think the connections get a bit tenuous when you use a broad definition like that. It could be argued that everyone is taking advantage of "welfare" at all times by living in a society with a functioning economy, paved roads, and laws against murder. If you define something that broadly, it loses all meaning.

That's probably true. But I was keeping it towards financial related rather then tax based services like roads and police. ADM gets millions in corporate welfare which likely reduces its prices. We benefit when we buy a ADM product. Thus we have personally benefited from corporate welfare. That welfare at the corporate level becomes welfare at the personal level. Services based on taxes isn't what I was talking about.

Considering the large subsidies nuclear power gets, everyone who turns on their lights with nuclear energy is benefiting from welfare.

I think that one possible way to describe "welfare" in the sense that the OP is getting at would be "benefits bestowed directly upon an individual for reasons other than engaging in an economically preferred activity."

Doesn't that make the earned income tax credit not welfare? Furthermore, unemployment benefits wouldn't be welfare as well as in theory, you're suppose to be hunting for a job.

Hmmm lets see.
Currently we recieve child benifit. (Everyone does)
I've used the healthcare system since I was born. Been unemployed. Recieved free training from a state organization. Now I pay higher tax than some countries. But if I want the former, I have to accept the latter.

Damn! The OP should have defined the types of welfare because I might have voted incorrectly.

Just as the title says.....

MY mother was a couple of times when me and my sisters were growing up. Foodstamps and WIC that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom