• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hidden Camera Footage Of A Gay Couple Dining In Texas

I've lived in Austin TX for over 30 years, have Gay friends.....

Much in the same way David Duke has black friends, I'm sure.

So what's the point? I already know that.

one- you can't remember what you post
two- you can't refer to what other people post accurately
three- claiming Texas gets a bum rap from the Left because you live in Texas's Kremlin is flawed
four- your 'angry old man' routine is trite
five- wear a hat and no one can see your point... :lol:
six- the Sooners do bite the big one, so your attempt at insult is as sad as your ability to quote someone.... :peace

I can't watch the video from work so all I have to go on are the comments you've made about it.

That said, I don't think you can take an example of what 54 people in Texas did, and what 100 people in New York did, and then extrapolate that out in order to make generalizations about either state in their entirety. Where was the NY "test" conducted? New York City? If so, which boro? Out on Long Island? If so, out East, or in Queens? Westchester County? Por Jervis? Rochester? Albany? In some very real ways those "regions" of New York are as different from one and other as NY is from TX. I suspect that the same can probably be said about different regions of Texas. You're talking about 20 million people in NY and another 28 million in TX.

I fail to see how 100 people in the former or 54 in the latter can be taken as representative of anything other than how a handful of people behaved in very isolated incidents.

While N>30, and the difference between a 10% vocal objection (NY) and a near-50% vocal objection (TX) is significant, I understand that this experiment was not necessarily performed to the utmost exacting scientific standards. Nonetheless it should be at least somewhat thought provoking given certain stereotypes people have about Texas (most conservative) and the northeast (most liberal).

one- you can't remember what you post
two- you can't refer to what other people post accurately
three- claiming Texas gets a bum rap from the Left because you live in Texas's Kremlin is flawed
four- your 'angry old man' routine is trite
five- wear a hat and no one can see your point... :lol:
six- the Sooners do bite the big one, so your attempt at insult is as sad as your ability to quote someone.... :peace

Apparently we got off track somewhere down the line. Please excuse.

My Niece and her family are moving to Tulsa....y'all treat them well. OK

TULSA???? That's our 'Kremlin'.... :lamo

Actually it is our most liberal/cultural/ and open minded city we have... which is sort of sad if you think about it... I live in the SW part of the state but a cousin has her practise in Tulsa, I'll tell her to keep an eye out for your niece :peace

I have lived in TX for 25 years, and they prize personal liberty very highly. They may not agree with your choice, but they respect your right to make that choice. They will get involved to help a neighbor out, even if they don't know them. I enjoy TX. There are factions of religious fundamentalism, but they have a right to make that choice. But my right to swing my arm ends where your nose begins. Rights are not unlimited.

TULSA???? That's our 'Kremlin'.... :lamo

Actually it is our most liberal/cultural/ and open minded city we have... which is sort of sad if you think about it... I live in the SW part of the state but a cousin has her practise in Tulsa, I'll tell her to keep an eye out for your niece :peace

Well they're old school 'confused' Democrats coming from San Antonio...they'll fit right in. ;)

Actually it is the very public statements and votes by the Texas politicians might be what gathers the scorn so many not just the left has for Texas you feel is heaped unfairly upon the Lone Star State.

As an aside, the city of Austin is looked upon as a liberal bastion in the state. 'Keep Austin Weird' T-shirts are a popular souvenir. Austin isn't indicative of much of Texas, a safe haven of diversity in an otherwise state who's greeting to new comers usually is, "You ain't from around here is ya." said as a statement and not a question. Some of my more 'conservative' friends in North Texas turn their heads to spit the taste of of their mouths after saying 'Austin'.... :peace
I got it see and I said scorn as well... try and stay with what we both said... North Texas, and scorn, as far as talking trash about Austin- that was some highly 'conservative' folks in the northern part of YOUR state....
then to prove your outlandish theory correct you need to explain why no one in NY spoke out because i can promise you this there are more liberals in NY then Austin

this what gets me about the left they have been programmed, propagandized, and brain washed to made to believe any one on the right are mean and evil, And when something comes up to prove that narrative to be utterly wrong it chips away at their belief system and they will do what ever they can to make a lame attempt to explain it away

What exactly is the point of this thread?

then to prove your outlandish theory correct you need to explain why no one in NY spoke out because i can promise you this there are more liberals in NY then Austin

this what gets me about the left they have been programmed, propagandized, and brain washed to made to believe any one on the right are mean and evil, And when something comes up to prove that narrative to be utterly wrong it chips away at their belief system and they will do what ever they can to make a lame attempt to explain it away

First I'd say Cons do a very good job of brain washing and not considering all the facts. There maybe more liberals in NY(I suppose you mean city) but unless we start forcing them to wear symbols it is difficult to tell who is what just by looking. I have traveled around this Great and Glorious Republic of ours and i can say the NorthEast trends toward ignoring the world around them. It is not 'just liberals' and not just about gays, or obnoxious loud mouthed bigots. A very nice Con in Plymouth Meeting PA would ignore my waves and greetings for over a year everytime i came to town (twice a month I would spend the weekend next door) it wasn't until I helped him fix his riding lawn mower (I worked on them back when i was a JD mechanic) did we start talking. I wound up invited to all the Irish-Italian family gatherings to include his FIL.

So it isn't just liberal or Con, it isn't the issue used to test response, it isn't even the loud mouthed bigot- there are enough factors to alter the result....

And FYI- what was my 'outlanish theory'.... please quote it. :2wave:

well, I'm not convinced that folks in Texas have bigger hearts, or whatever, than folks in New York... nor am I convinced there is a wide chasm in moral positions.

what I took away from the video, and what i experience here in CenTex on a daily basis is... Texans are more apt to confront folks who are out of line..sometime the content is out of line, sometimes it's just the manner in which folks address other folks... but in general,they just aren't shy about public confrontation.

What exactly is the point of this thread?

Probably the same as the point behind the show. "Look...even Texans think gay marriage should be legalized"

"But overall, bystanders do speak up against our waitress when the gay parents are male. And those who do are extremely angry. A surprising show of support, when you consider that we did the same setup in the more liberal state of New York last year. And there, out of 100 bystanders, less than a dozen spoke up. In Texas, out of 53 bystanders, 24 voiced their support: about half. So at the end of the day, Texans have shown us, another side."

I stopped watching at :41 to go Google. These are actors.

From Dallas Voice:

Last week we told you about Friday night’s episode of What Would You Do? filmed in part at Norma’s Cafe in Farmers Branch. The third segment of the ethical-dilemma, hidden-camera show focused on gay parenting and involved a waitress — an actress — saying hateful things to two same-sex couples, also actors and actresses, who are dining with their kids at Norma’s.

WATCH: ABC's 'What Would You Do?' on gay parenting at Norma's Cafe in Farmers Branch

well, I'm not convinced that folks in Texas have bigger hearts, or whatever, than folks in New York... nor am I convinced there is a wide chasm in moral positions.

what I took away from the video, and what i experience here in CenTex on a daily basis is... Texans are more apt to confront folks who are out of line..sometime the content is out of line, sometimes it's just the manner in which folks address other folks... but in general,they just aren't shy about public confrontation.

Often to their own detriment. ;0

Probably the same as the point behind the show. "Look...even Texans think gay marriage should be legalized"

Well the public voted and over 76% didn't want it legal. Of course the same happened in California but, the courts ignored the will of the people.

There was NOTHING referring to Gay Marriage in this video.

faking this kind of stuff to get a crowd reaction makes me really uncomfortable. however, from the part i watched, the bystanders seem to be really good people.

Well the public voted and over 76% didn't want it legal. Of course the same happened in California but, the courts ignored the will of the people.

There was NOTHING referring to Gay Marriage in this video.
Sure there was. The gay couple and family being oppressed by the homophobic actress/waitress and the accepting public.

...the difference between a 10% vocal objection (NY) and a near-50% vocal objection (TX) is significant...

My point was that, no, that difference isn't signifigant.

This isn't a comparison of (NY) and (TX).

It's a comparrison of a completely insignifigant cross section of either.

I agree it's thought provoking.

Unfortunatly my "thoughts" are that it's too small a sample to be representative of anything useful.

If the "experiment" had been conducted 100 times in Texas at a variety of locations across the state, and then conducted 100 times in New York at a variety of locations across the state, we might be able to hold up the results and say, "See, this research kinda gives lie to so common sterotypes".

But one location?

Could easily be coincidental.

It means nothing.

"But overall, bystanders do speak up against our waitress when the gay parents are male. And those who do are extremely angry. A surprising show of support, when you consider that we did the same setup in the more liberal state of New York last year. And there, out of 100 bystanders, less than a dozen spoke up. In Texas, out of 53 bystanders, 24 voiced their support: about half. So at the end of the day, Texans have shown us, another side."

Well done Texas!!! That really moved me, especially Donovan. I've never been there but I've read a lot of negative stuff on DP about how intolerant and right wing Texans can be. I'm delighted to see those prejudices confounded.

Well done Texas!!! That really moved me, especially Donovan. I've never been there but I've read a lot of negative stuff on DP about how intolerant and right wing Texans can be. I'm delighted to see those prejudices confounded.

People need to learn being against gay marriage doesn't mean we're against gay people.

People need to learn being against gay marriage doesn't mean we're against gay people.

Well actually, it does. It means that while basically good and tolerant and well educated people will treat other people, even those with whom they may disagree, with courtesy, when it comes to the ballot box they will still treat those people as second class citizens. Believe me, I think I'd rather have it that way than have people vote in favour of SSM and then treat people face-to-face with disdain, aggression and disrespect.

As I see it the LGBT struggle nowadays in most western countries is about converting that general acceptance and tolerance of different lifestyles and choices into a recognition of equality. What the video tells me is that for many, many people tolerance of diversity is a battle already won.

Finally, that video cannot really be taken as proof that while disagreeing with SSM people might still be polite and supportive. I know support for SSM might be low in Texas, but I'd be very surprised if Donovan and the the other heroic chap at the start of the clip wouldn't vote 'yes'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom