• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has the GOP joined Al Qaeda?

Sure here ya go.....we wouldn't want you to forgets now. ;)

U.S. President Barack Obama on Wednesday honored the American and African victims who were killed 15 years ago in al-Qaeda's terrorist attacks against U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

"On this day, we honor the families of the 12 Americans who lost their lives, and we join with the people and governments of Kenya and Tanzania honoring the sacrifices of the African victims of this heinous act, which killed over 200 and wounded over 5,000, " said Obama in a White House statement.

Obama said that the United States is steadfast in its commitment to protect Americans who serve the nation overseas.

He also stressed that the country "will remain resolute in working with our partners to combat violent extremism in East Africa, across the region and around the world."

"We continue to stand with our East African partners to bring terrorists to justice and will carry on our efforts to prevent these attacks in the future," said the president.

On Aug. 7, 1998, two explosions wrecked the U.S. embassies in Nairobi of Kenya and Dar es Salaam of Tanzania almost simultaneously. The suicide bombing attacks killed 224 people altogether, including 12 Americans.

Obama honors victims of 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in East Africa - Xinhua | English.news.cn

For Susan Rice, Benghazi Was Kenya 1998 Deja Vu

In the spring of 1998, Prudence Bushnell, the U.S. ambassador to Kenya, sent an emotional letter to Secretary of State Madeleine Albright begging for a more secure embassy in the face of mounting terrorist threats and a warning that she was the target of an assassination plot.

The State Department had repeatedly denied her request, citing a lack of money. But that kind of response, she wrote Albright, was "endangering the lives of embassy personnel."

A matter of months later, on Aug. 7, 1998, the American embassies in Tanzania and Kenya were simultaneously attacked with car bombs. In Kenya, 12 American diplomats and more than 200 Africans were killed.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: For Susan Rice, Benghazi Was Kenya 1998 Deja Vu; Tanzania Too - Investors.com
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

Did ya still need the link on Somalia SB? :2razz:

Nope, your point is taken and you are completely correct. I can think of other Presidents and other eras that suffered from terrorism abroad but I can't say that I judged their terms by overseas actibvity. I rather liked Reagan for example and have never judged his term in office by the Beirut incident. I have plenty of issues with Bush but I didn't hold him responsible for 9/11 either.

Still, the Clinton years was a prosperous era and I'm not sure we'll see anything like it again.

Nope, your point is taken and you are completely correct. I can think of other Presidents and other eras that suffered from terrorism abroad but I can't say that I judged their terms by overseas actibvity. I rather liked Reagan for example and have never judged his term in office by the Beirut incident. I have plenty of issues with Bush but I didn't hold him responsible for 9/11 either.

Still, the Clinton years was a prosperous era and I'm not sure we'll see anything like it again.

That's because the difference is.....Clinton didn't spend like Obama's spends. Clinton couldn't just throw money to whomever he wanted.

Yeah I can too.....like I said before none compare historically when it comes to those failures overseas by the Democrats. Not that I applaud much of what Bush did either. Not in in Aligning with the Neo Cons.

That's because the difference is.....Clinton didn't spend like Obama's spends. Clinton couldn't just throw money to whomever he wanted.

Yeah I can too.....like I said before none compare historically when it comes to those failures overseas by the Democrats. Not that I applaud much of what Bush did either. Not in in Aligning with the Neo Cons.

You know I'm not too fond of Obama, right? I may not despise everything he does but he's no hero to me either (except in gay rights progress). But to be fair, this is a completely different America than the Clinton era.

First, Clinton had the benefit of his predecessor manning up and admitting that taxes (revenue) had to be more in tune with spending. So Clinton had a relatively easy time of raising taxes. But most of all, this was the era of the personal computer and America was on top of the world. So, there were plenty of jobs, employers still paid well and American innovation mattered.

Just as this was wearing out, we got GW Bush and his wars that dragged us down. Sure, we had what looked like a good economy for a while because of the insanity of the housing bubble but when that went away, all we had was a nation over its head in foreign military adventures. We've never recovered and Obama is not a strong enough leader to inspire. So now, we are just muddling along and I don't know if we have the ability to snap out of it.

Not really.....as it was Reagans Middle East Policy that won the Cold War.

How Reagan’s Mideast Policy Won the Cold War
Your point was Benghazi and Somalia, not Reagan's 8-year revision. I assume Iran/Contra felonious Reagan with his Lebanon don't count. All POTUSs have had their "Waterloo's". Centrist/Lincoln Dems recognize that. GOP doesn't.

To begin with on this constant revision that the GOP won't let go of, Clinton did not start each budget with the interest on the Total Accumulated Debt that Obama has. A fair person would stop there. Dems have been on to this "try to divide Clinton/Obama routine' for some time.

Well this thread rather derailed in the meantime. So, Obama doesn't want to kick the Egyptian militaries ass, the GOP meanwhile loves al Qaida now, according to the op, and of course the Obama administration is training and arming al Qaida in Syria, so what are we left with, F-UP foreign policy in the ME as usual?

Well, that was sort of my point. I would expect the GOP to reject Morsi - instead of suddenly becoming his fan.

I'd like you to name one Republican whose come out in favor of Morsi and proposed that he be reinstated.

Ah, thanks. I'm glad that somebody got the point. It was a complete knee-jerk reaction that made absolutely no sense.

Time to rethink, Specklebang - whenever HOJ claims you've got something right, you can be sure you've got it wrong.

Time to rethink, Specklebang - whenever HOJ claims you've got something right, you can be sure you've got it wrong.

There was a WSJ article that triggered my rant but I can't find it. Still looking. You can't make this stuff up really. Do I actually think that Morsi is popular with the GOP? Nah. But I felt that in their haste to be negative about anything Obama does, that many GOP politicians stuck their foot in their mouth because (as of yesterday) Obama had not cut military aid.

This will have tioo do temporarily GOP Lawmakers Blast White House on Egypt Aid - Washington Wire - WSJ

Now, that was yesterday and by noow Obama has probably caved as is his wont to do. Geez, that man must have the tiniest testicles in Presidential history.

As for HOJ, if you mentally blank out the words "tea party" and "meme", and overlook the anger, he can be very insightful. Just as with any hyper-partisan on either side, I take a mouthful of salt when I read his posts. There is some gold in the pyrite.

I'd like you to name one Republican whose come out in favor of Morsi and proposed that he be reinstated.

McCain and Graham come to mind but when I find that WSJ article, I'll have some more.

I found one as well SB. ;)

Congress Split on Cutting Off Aid to Egypt.....

Members of Congress are split over whether the U.S. should cut off military aid to Egypt, highlighting the difficult choices facing the Obama administration amid spiraling violence on the streets of an important Middle East ally.

Democratic leaders have generally supported the president's approach. But on Sunday, Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., said he would end aid to Egypt. Ellison is the first Muslim elected to Congress and is co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

"I would cut off aid but engage in intense diplomacy in Egypt and in the region to try to say, look, we will restore aid when you stop the bloodshed in the street and set up a path towards democracy that you were on before," Ellison said. "In my mind, there's no way to say that this was not a coup. It is. We should say so. And then follow our own law, which says we cannot fund the coup leaders."

Among Republicans, there were growing calls to eliminate military aid to Egypt. But others were more hesitant.

Rep. Pete King, R-N.Y., said curtailing aid could reduce U.S. influence over Egypt's interim government, which controls access to strategic resources, including the Suez Canal.

"We certainly shouldn't cut off all aid," said King, who chairs the House panel on counterterrorism and intelligence.

King said there are no good choices in Egypt. Ousted President Mohammed Morsi, a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, was democratically elected. But, King said, the group has not demonstrated a commitment to democracy.

"The fact is, there's no good guys there," King said. "But of the two, I think there is more opportunity to protect American interests if we work with the military and continue our relationship with the military."

The split among members of the same political party illustrates the uncertainty facing President Barack Obama as he tries to navigate volatile developments in Egypt, where crackdowns last week left more than 600 people dead and thousands more injured.....snip~

Congress Split on Cutting off Aid to Egypt - ABC News

Seems both parties are split over this issue with Egypt.....huh?

Your article didn't answer my question - there are no Republicans who support Morsi and favor his reinstatement.

There are Republicans as noted in the article, in two camps, who favor ending aid - there are those, to quote HOJ, tea partiers who basically oppose all foreign aid while America is running massive deficits and building crippling debt - they aren't opposing Obama so much as opposing the practice - they also oppose McCain and Graham on a regular basis. The second group, led by McCain and Graham, are in the camp that feel that American money and weapons should not be used by a country's military to suppress and kill its people. Many Democrats also agree with this position.

In both cases, these factions in the Republican party do not favor Morsi or the Muslim Brotherhood at all and have spoken out against Obama's silence on their governance in Egypt up until the coup. It is Obama and his administration alone among Americans who have been in the past and are still supportive of Morsi and the MB.

Your article didn't answer my question - there are no Republicans who support Morsi and favor his reinstatement.

There are Republicans as noted in the article, in two camps, who favor ending aid - there are those, to quote HOJ, tea partiers who basically oppose all foreign aid while America is running massive deficits and building crippling debt - they aren't opposing Obama so much as opposing the practice - they also oppose McCain and Graham on a regular basis. The second group, led by McCain and Graham, are in the camp that feel that American money and weapons should not be used by a country's military to suppress and kill its people. Many Democrats also agree with this position.

In both cases, these factions in the Republican party do not favor Morsi or the Muslim Brotherhood at all and have spoken out against Obama's silence on their governance in Egypt up until the coup. It is Obama and his administration alone among Americans who have been in the past and are still supportive of Morsi and the MB.

Very well said! I wish I could give you a bunch of likes on this post! :thumbs:

Usually I see Cons on this board support the coup, but want Obama to cut off aid anyway. Which seems kind of backwards to me.

Between Egypt, Libya, Syria....it seems like we should just hang back and tell them to let us know when they're done killing each other.

Usually I see Cons on this board support the coup, but want Obama to cut off aid anyway. Which seems kind of backwards to me.

Between Egypt, Libya, Syria....it seems like we should just hang back and tell them to let us know when they're done killing each other.

My feelings exactly - we should watch, take names, and when the dust settles support the good guys if they can be sorted out from the bad.

I don't like what the military in Egypt is doing, but there really is no recourse at this point in time with Muslim Brotherhood factions destroying churches and property and killing/cleansing the streets of non-muslims.

But the aid has been cut off.

By the Obama administration, albeit quietly and why that is I do not know.

By the Obama administration, albeit quietly and why that is I do not know.

Yeah, that's been updated. ;)

White House says U.S. has not cut off aid to Egypt

Media reports that suggest the United States has cut off aid to Egypt are not accurate, a White House spokesman said on Tuesday, adding that the Obama administration is still reviewing its options.

"That review has not concluded and ... published reports to the contrary that assistance to Egypt has been cut off are not accurate," White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters in a briefing.

He said Obama was convening a meeting with his national security team on Tuesday to discuss Egypt and the review of U.S. aid to the country.

"I wouldn't anticipate any major announcements related to our aid and assistance in the immediate aftermath of this meeting," Earnest said, noting Obama holds such meetings regularly.

The Pentagon also denied reports that military aid had been cut off.

White House says U.S. has not cut off aid to Egypt
Reuters – 1 hr 20 mins ago <<<<< More here!

Hey, if the White house said it I'm taking in to the bank.

So do you think Patrick Leahy intentionally lied, or is just throwing disinformation out there for distraction?

So do you think Patrick Leahy intentionally lied, or is just throwing disinformation out there for distraction?

This is what they are telling the MS Media.....so Obama can't go back on it at the moment.

Earnest's comments on U.S. assistance follow media reports, citing an aide to the Democratic U.S. senator who chairs the subcommittee that oversees foreign aid, that the United States had quietly decided to suspend most military aid to Egypt, at least temporarily.

"The State Department and Foreign Operations Appropriations Subcommittee was told the transfer of military aid was stopped, that this is current practice, not necessarily official policy, and there is no indication of how long it will last," the aide to Senator Patrick Leahy said in an emailed statement.

Earnest said the aid is under review but has not halted.....snip~

I see, so who knows. Wait a day or two, everything will look different.

Back
Top Bottom