• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has the GOP joined Al Qaeda?

As far as the "law" goes, there is no history to indicate we follow our own laws unless it happens to be convenient. So, this sudden need to follow the law seems to be much more because of Obama than what would be more sensible. Now, it's just my opinion that we're better off with a secular Egypt. I try to be wrong at least once a day.

Also, as far as the law goes, it's not like Morsi was a big fan of following it. After being elected, he universally decreed himself above the law and judicial review, and his supporters violently attacked people who protested as he forced a constitution (which enshrines Sharia, which the GOP hates) down the throats of an unwilling public

I don't equate Egypt and Al Qaeda. I'm more equating the Muslim Brotherhood as Islamic Fundamentalists whose sympathies and affiliations are with Al Qaeda.

Yes, Obama speaks from both sides of his mouth. I'm not posting this as a "pro-Obama debate though. I'm just pointing out the ludicrousness of the GOP jumping onto the side of the MB for no other logical reason than trying to be the opposite of anything that Obama is "for" for 10 minutes until Obama changes his tune (again). Now, I bet that any minute now Obama will switch positions and be for the MB and then the GOP will suddenly be for the Military. That's just crazy.

As far as the "law" goes, there is no history to indicate we follow our own laws unless it happens to be convenient. So, this sudden need to follow the law seems to be much more because of Obama than what would be more sensible. Now, it's just my opinion that we're better off with a secular Egypt. I try to be wrong at least once a day.

That's fair - I don't equate Al Qaeda and Islamic Fundementalists - they're both evil in their own ways, but they don't both have the same methods and most Islamic Fundementalists are satisfied persecuting their own followers and not interested in travelling the world murdering innocent people.

Secondly, I don't believe the GOP is taking the side of the Muslim Brotherhood - Obama is the one who has been tooting their horn almost since he entered office five years ago - the GOP is opposing the military crackdown and rule in Egypt and proposing that aid be ended until such time as the military cedes control back to civilian authority. I don't recall hearing any Republican state that Morsi should be put back in office - quite the contrary. I do believe, however, that they and many others want to see new elections quickly and a transition back to the road to democracy and a constitution that respects all factions of Egyptian society and not an Islamic republic ala Iran.

Finally, the problem with this scenario is that the Muslim Brotherhood and their supporters see the writing on the wall and they aren't going to go away quietly, so the army control of the situation and the country's security is a given now unless the goal is utter chaos and full on civil war.

At this point in time, as I've said on other threads, all the west can do is sit back, record the autrocities, and wait for the dust to settle. It's far too late for intervention now.

•••I had to use up my one brain cell to overlook your inability to spell or express yourself. Why don't you see if you can address the topic without the personal attacks and disrespect?

I show no respect for the willful ignorant. they chose no side. you do realize you can do that also.

It does seem that whatever the Democrats and their Fearless Leader are for, the Republicans are against. Now, it has become completely absurd.

REPUBLICANS THROW SUPPORT TO AL QAEDA IN FIT OF STUPIDITY

So, Al Queda wins a "fair election:roll:" and begins converting their nation to Radical Islam. The Egyptian Military say "hell no" and kicks them out. Obama continues supporting the new "guys in charge". The Republican's, out of some incredibly dumb compulsion to oppose anything Obama does, want to cut off aid and help Islamic Terrorism reclaim their "rightful place" as rulers.

Really? Seriously? I suppose when a political party wants to commit suicide, you can't stop them. But this doesn't make me happy. Our country runs best when both parties have some moderating influence on each other. Seeing the GOP disappear fill me with fear, not joy.

Am I wrong? Should the GOP support the enemy? Or should we be relieved that the Military, who gets along with Israel for one thing, has traken the reins and lacked up the terrorists?

Please discuss.

Where did you come up with Al Qaeda from ? Is this more liberal revisionism ?

You do know who the Muslim Brotherhood are and the difference between the Muslim Brotherhood and Al Qaeda ? It's the Muslim Brotherhood who is responsible for Al Qaeda having little influence in Egypt.

The Muslim Brotherhood are radical Islamist fascist and Obama has a hard-on for the Muslim Brotherhood. Well Obama use to have a hard-on for the M.B. Maybe he threw them under the bus like everyone else.

The facts are, under the Obama administration, America no longer have any credibility in the Middle East and North Africa.

this is not a problem which just sprung up, the GOP has been doing stuff like this for quite a while.

This will certainly not help the GOP with any plans for the future that it may have cooked up, but that's the GOP's problem. I have zero sympathy for the GOP.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

No, it won't. That does concern me since I like balance in government and unbridled Democrats are just as disturbing to me as unbridled republicans.

Also, as far as the law goes, it's not like Morsi was a big fan of following it. After being elected, he universally decreed himself above the law and judicial review, and his supporters violently attacked people who protested as he forced a constitution (which enshrines Sharia, which the GOP hates) down the throats of an unwilling public

Well, that was sort of my point. I would expect the GOP to reject Morsi - instead of suddenly becoming his fan.

You do know who the Muslim Brotherhood are and the difference between the Muslim Brotherhood and Al Qaeda ? It's the Muslim Brotherhood who is responsible for Al Qaeda having little influence in Egypt.

The Muslim Brotherhood are radical Islamist fascist and Obama has a hard-on for the Muslim Brotherhood. Well Obama use to have a hard-on for the M.B. Maybe he threw them under the bus like everyone else.

The facts are, under the Obama administration, America no longer have any credibility in the Middle East and North Africa.

OMG did you really just post this?

So, you're on board with the GOP for being a MB fan? That's just, well, absurd. Thanks for making my point.

No, it won't.
That does concern me since I like balance in government and unbridled Democrats are just as disturbing to me as unbridled republicans.

What you, me and anyone else like or don't like will have little effect on what happens to the GOP in the next 30-40 years.

Does is seem somewhat ironic to anyone other than me that a lot of the Obama haters that are slamming him for not going for the throat of the Egyptian military, for overthrowing the duly elected "Muslim Brotherhood," are often the same people who will stop at nothing to stifle the duly elected president we have here in our own country?

I don't think Obama should be going for the throat of the Egyptian military, nor do I think Cameron or Merkel or Putin should be. It's not our business. We've caused enough problems sticking our nose into that region.

[/B]
What you, me and anyone else like or don't like will have little effect on what happens to the GOP in the next 30-40 years.

You are completely underestimating my deity-like powers.

Next thing you'll be claiming that Obama doesn't follow DP at his morning briefing.

It does seem that whatever the Democrats and their Fearless Leader are for, the Republicans are against. Now, it has become completely absurd.

REPUBLICANS THROW SUPPORT TO AL QAEDA IN FIT OF STUPIDITY

So, Al Queda wins a "fair election:roll:" and begins converting their nation to Radical Islam. The Egyptian Military say "hell no" and kicks them out. Obama continues supporting the new "guys in charge". The Republican's, out of some incredibly dumb compulsion to oppose anything Obama does, want to cut off aid and help Islamic Terrorism reclaim their "rightful place" as rulers.

Really? Seriously? I suppose when a political party wants to commit suicide, you can't stop them. But this doesn't make me happy. Our country runs best when both parties have some moderating influence on each other. Seeing the GOP disappear fill me with fear, not joy.

Am I wrong? Should the GOP support the enemy? Or should we be relieved that the Military, who gets along with Israel for one thing, has traken the reins and lcked up the terrorists?

Please discuss.

Al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood are not the same; you know that right?

Al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood are not the same; you know that right?

Yes, I do know that. However, the MB are fanatical Islamists and AQ are fanatical Islamists. So, I don't see much advantage for the US to support either one.

Yes, I do know that. However, the MB are fanatical Islamists and AQ are fanatical Islamists. So, I don't see much advantage for the US to support either one.

That's a 30,000 foot view don't you think? It's a pretty far stretch to make these two out to be one and the same; it's a bit more complex than that you know.

Yes. Exactly. The enemy of my enemy is my friend is exactly what applies here. You can tell this sticks in Obama's craw but so what? The Egyptian Military is much more likely to continue the armistice agreements with Israel and thus make life a little safer for America. Or is nation building and "democracy" more important than achieving our hopes in the region.

As George Bush said, stupidly: "The enemy of my enemy is my enemy".

He proved that by giving the middle east over to Iranian hegemony.

But back to the point -- your OP got it right. The tea party types just ping pong incoherently from one policy to the next based on what Obama does. They're fixated on Obama and have no coherent views. It would be funny except the tea party occupied House can actually affect policy.

They may be responsible for AQ having little or no influence in Egypt.....now why do you think that is? Better yet How do you think that works? Kinda of easier to control those who work for you......huh. Specially when funded by you.....eh.

As George Bush said, stupidly: "The enemy of my enemy is my enemy".

He proved that by giving the middle east over to Iranian hegemony.

But back to the point -- your OP got it right. The tea party types just ping pong incoherently from one policy to the next based on what Obama does. They're fixated on Obama and have no coherent views. It would be funny except the tea party occupied House can actually affect policy.

Ah, thanks. I'm glad that somebody got the point. It was a complete knee-jerk reaction that made absolutely no sense.

Ah, thanks. I'm glad that somebody got the point. It was a complete knee-jerk reaction that made absolutely no sense.

Well accept for all that part on playing catch up from the incompetency of the Clinton Administration.....lets not forget that accurate place in history that Bilbo Achieved now. ;)

Well accept for all that part on playing catch up from the incompetency of the Clinton Administration.....lets not forget that accurate place in history that Bilbo Achieved now. ;)

We can only dream of the days of that terrible Clinton administration.

We can only dream of the days of that terrible Clinton administration.

Sure, domestically huh? Not anything overseas at all. Or did you forget how many diplomats died under his reign? As well as how many times we were hit and nothing was done. Somalia Ring any Bells?

Sure, domestically huh? Not anything overseas at all. Or did you forget how many diplomats died under his reign?

Evidently I have forgotten. Really. Can you toss me a link so I don't have to leave my foot in my mouth all night long:)

Evidently I have forgotten. Really. Can you toss me a link so I don't have to leave my foot in my mouth all night long:)

Sure here ya go.....we wouldn't want you to forgets now. ;)

U.S. President Barack Obama on Wednesday honored the American and African victims who were killed 15 years ago in al-Qaeda's terrorist attacks against U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

"On this day, we honor the families of the 12 Americans who lost their lives, and we join with the people and governments of Kenya and Tanzania honoring the sacrifices of the African victims of this heinous act, which killed over 200 and wounded over 5,000, " said Obama in a White House statement.

Obama said that the United States is steadfast in its commitment to protect Americans who serve the nation overseas.

He also stressed that the country "will remain resolute in working with our partners to combat violent extremism in East Africa, across the region and around the world."

"We continue to stand with our East African partners to bring terrorists to justice and will carry on our efforts to prevent these attacks in the future," said the president.

On Aug. 7, 1998, two explosions wrecked the U.S. embassies in Nairobi of Kenya and Dar es Salaam of Tanzania almost simultaneously. The suicide bombing attacks killed 224 people altogether, including 12 Americans.

Obama honors victims of 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in East Africa - Xinhua | English.news.cn

For Susan Rice, Benghazi Was Kenya 1998 Deja Vu

In the spring of 1998, Prudence Bushnell, the U.S. ambassador to Kenya, sent an emotional letter to Secretary of State Madeleine Albright begging for a more secure embassy in the face of mounting terrorist threats and a warning that she was the target of an assassination plot.

The State Department had repeatedly denied her request, citing a lack of money. But that kind of response, she wrote Albright, was "endangering the lives of embassy personnel."

A matter of months later, on Aug. 7, 1998, the American embassies in Tanzania and Kenya were simultaneously attacked with car bombs. In Kenya, 12 American diplomats and more than 200 Africans were killed.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: For Susan Rice, Benghazi Was Kenya 1998 Deja Vu; Tanzania Too - Investors.com
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

Did ya still need the link on Somalia SB? :2razz:

An American by any other name is still an American. Both sides go back-and-forth routinely to the Reagan days it seems for the first revision era. Then we have Korea and Vietnam ending with Iran/Carter for round two. Then I see the roaring 20's, its depression into WW II for the 3rd era.
Sure, domestically huh? Not anything overseas at all. Or did you forget how many diplomats died under his reign? As well as how many times we were hit and nothing was done. Somalia Ring any Bells?

An American by any other name is still an American. Both sides go back-and-forth routinely to the Reagan days it seems for the first revision era. Then we have Korea and Vietnam ending with Iran/Carter for round two. Then I see the roaring 20's, its depression into WW II for the 3rd era.

Not really.....as it was Reagans Middle East Policy that won the Cold War.

Four events were decisive.
1. The Reagan administration cemented Egypt, the largest and most important Arab country, into the U.S. alliance system.
2. Reagan oversaw the weakening of the Soviet’s strongest Arab ally, Iraq.
3. Middle East events forced the Soviet Union toward an (ultimately doomed) reconstruction of its economy.
4. Then the final shove: In 1985, the Reagan administration persuaded Saudi Arabia to increase oil production.

Between 1985 and 1986, Saudi Arabia increased oil production from two million barrels a day to five million barrels. The oil price tumbled as oil supply surged: from US$30 a barrel to US$20 in just a few months.

The effect on the Soviet economy was devastating. Oil was the Soviet Union’s main – practically only – exportable product, the most important source of hard currency for the economically stagnant regime.

As former Soviet prime minister Yegor Gaidar details in a 2006 book, the Saudi action cost the Soviet Union $20 billion a year, money that had been used to pay for food imports from the West. How to close the sudden financial gap? The Soviets borrowed from Western banks.

As the Soviet economy stalled, borrowing needs increased. By 1989, the Soviet Union needed US$100-billion to avoid food shortages. That desperate need for Western loans precluded any Soviet intervention when first Poland and then the rest of the Warsaw Pact shook off Soviet rule in the spring, summer and fall of 1989.

The Reagan administration’s Middle East policy broke the Soviet empire. But no political achievement lasts forever. The price of oil has soared again, re-empowering Russia and other bad actors like Venezuela and Iran.

The Reagan policy has run its course, as all policies do. But no statesman is expected to solve the problems of all time. The 40th President of the United States magnificently surmounted the problems of his time. We honor Ronald Reagan most not by replicating him, but by emulating him: by doing not what he did, but as he did. He was the right leader for his time. Modern conservatives need to discover the right leadership for their time.....snip~

How Reagan’s Mideast Policy Won the Cold War

Back
Top Bottom