• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Get A Damn Job!

There are a lot of anecdotes and declarations in this thread that aren't backed up by facts.

OK, then directly address them. BTW, what facts are you offering?

OK, then directly address them. BTW, what facts are you offering?
No. I don't have to directly address each individual declaration or anecdote or offer facts of my own. I can read a thread, hoping to gain factual insight and note that facts are in short supply.

The lefty media's lies never end and they don't even realize how stupid they sound. Here's an article about how Republican Governors cutting off extra federal unemployment benefits aren't really getting these people to go out looking for jobs. BUT these poor people are hurting and can't pay their bills now and are having trouble affording food and other basic living necessities, with just about all employers looking for workers. Well, no duh! Get A Damn Job! The left want to let them keep not working even when jobs are available and pay them enough money to live on.

Maybe employers should offer their employees living wages and decent benefits.

No. I don't have to directly address each individual declaration or anecdote or offer facts of my own. I can read a thread, hoping to gain factual insight and note that facts are in short supply.

OK, complain away without offering any facts. ;)

The lefty media's lies never end and they don't even realize how stupid they sound. Here's an article about how Republican Governors cutting off extra federal unemployment benefits aren't really getting these people to go out looking for jobs. BUT these poor people are hurting and can't pay their bills now and are having trouble affording food and other basic living necessities, with just about all employers looking for workers. Well, no duh! Get A Damn Job! The left want to let them keep not working even when jobs are available and pay them enough money to live on.

Wait staff get paid enough to live on?

OK, complain away without offering any facts. ;)
The observation that many posts in this thread are anecdotal or unsourced declarations is not a complaint, it's a fact.

Why is it that to motivate the rich, righties want to give them more, but to motivate the poor, righties want to take more?

And don't make an argument for trickle-down. Trickle-down is a hoax.
Correct except for 1 thing.

Trickle down isn't a hoax. It's a scam.

Employers are apt to offer little more than that which is required to attract and retain qualified labor.

Depending on how one defines a “living wage”, that may (or may not) make sense. If one defines a “living wage” as some amount (or percentage) above the FPL, then that would require basing a given employee’s pay on factors such as household size and other household income.

Employers are apt to offer little more than that which is required to attract and retain qualified labor.

Depending on how one defines a “living wage”, that may (or may not) make sense. If one defines a “living wage” as some amount (or percentage) above the FPL, then that would require basing a given employee’s pay on factors such as household size and other household income.

I'd define a living wage as one that allows you to afford rent and healthcare without going into debt.

I'd define a living wage as one that allows you to afford rent and healthcare without going into debt.

OK, the current average Social Security (SS) retirement benefit is about $18K/year (or about $16K/year after Medicare part B premiums and deductible expenses) - is that enough to live on? Of course, those who worked for low wages (and/or less than 35 years) can’t expect to get that much.

I get about $21.6K/year in SS retirement, but my girlfriend gets under $10K/year in SS retirement. Like I said before, what a household can afford depends on more than what any single worker within it earns - it also depends on how many people (working or not) are in that household.

OK, the current average Social Security (SS) retirement benefit is about $18K/year (or about $16K/year after Medicare part B premiums and deductible expenses) - is that enough to live on? Of course, those who worked for low wages (and/or less than 35 years) can’t expect to get that much.

I get about $21.6K/year in SS retirement, but my girlfriend gets under $10K/year in SS retirement. Like I said before, what a household can afford depends on more than what any single worker within it earns - it also depends on how many people (working or not) are in that household.

Social security is famous for not actually being livable, but unless you want a tax hike or raising the retirement age, thats what we are going to live with. I actually think lower earners should get lower SS benefits, so I would change the structure of the program a bit. I'd also do stuff with taxpayer funded 401Ks.

Social security is famous for not actually being livable, but unless you want a tax hike or raising the retirement age, thats what we are going to live with. I actually think lower earners should get lower SS benefits, so I would change the structure of the program a bit. I'd also do stuff with taxpayer funded 401Ks.

OK, but I’m still waiting for a “living wage” expressed as either an hourly pay rate or an annual income. Should that be based on the employee’s household size (and total household income) as the FPL is or some other figure?

I included our SS incomes to make a point. I would not be considered “poor” living alone, yet my girlfriend would. By living together that automagically makes our household no longer “poor”. Of course, if we added 2 dependents (without income) then our household would become “poor“.

OK, but I’m still waiting for a “living wage” expressed as either an hourly pay rate or an annual income. Should that be based on the employee’s household size (and total household income) as the FPL is or some other figure?

I included our SS incomes to make a point. I would not be considered “poor” living alone, yet my girlfriend would. By living together that automagically makes our household no longer “poor”. Of course, if we added 2 dependents (without income) then our household would become “poor“.

Its hard to figure out an exact number, but I'm sure the government could determine an approximation. Lets take our $10 per hour minimum wage. Thats about $20,000 a year. If rent is $1,000 a month that is $12,000 on rent. So $8,000 left. But some of that goes to taxes, transportation, and then lets talk about healthcare. For a family healthcare premiums can cost between $15,000 and $20,000, for individuals its more like $5,000 to $8,000. The employer can pay most of that but it depends on how good the healthcare plan is. And then you have to consider out of pocket.

If we had a $15 per hour minimum wage that would be a $30,000 income which makes life more affordable. I'd support between a $12 and $15 minimum wage depending on the cost of living.

Its hard to figure out an exact number, but I'm sure the government could determine an approximation. Lets take our $10 per hour minimum wage. Thats about $20,000 a year. If rent is $1,000 a month that is $12,000 on rent. So $8,000 left. But some of that goes to taxes, transportation, and then lets talk about healthcare. For a family healthcare premiums can cost between $15,000 and $20,000, for individuals its more like $5,000 to $8,000. The employer can pay most of that but it depends on how good the healthcare plan is. And then you have to consider out of pocket.

If we had a $15 per hour minimum wage that would be a $30,000 income which makes life more affordable. I'd support between a $12 and $15 minimum wage depending on the cost of living.

OK, now we have some actual numbers to discuss - let’s go with the (currently) popular demand for a $15/hour MW.

The obvious first question is: if we raise the federal MW from about 25% of the current median wage (to about 50% of the current median wage) then what should the new median wage become in order to maintain the customary difference between an entry level worker’s wage and the median wage?

The obvious second question is: since the FTE of the federal MW is now (a bit) less than the average SS retirement benefit then how much should the average SS retirement benefit become if the federal MW is doubled?

Too many fail to see (view?) the federal MW as something (currently) earned by less than 3% of the US workforce. If all US wages (up to and including the median wage plus a bit) are raised by an equal amount (or percentage?) then how would that make an entry level US worker any better off (after the resulting price inflation of most goods/services)? It seems to me that simply makes buying imports (and off-shoring) more appealing.

OK, now we have some actual numbers to discuss - let’s go with the (currently) popular demand for a $15/hour MW.

The obvious first question is: if we raise the federal MW from about 25% of the current median wage (to about 50% of the current median wage) then what should the new median wage become in order to maintain the customary difference between an entry level worker’s wage and the median wage?

The obvious second question is: since the FTE of the federal MW is now (a bit) less than the average SS retirement benefit then how much should the average SS retirement benefit become if the federal MW is doubled?

Too many fail to see (view?) the federal MW as something (currently) earned by less than 3% of the US workforce. If all US wages (up to and including the median wage plus a bit) are raised by an equal amount (or percentage?) then how would that make an entry level US worker any better off (after the resulting price inflation of most goods/services)? It seems to me that simply makes buying imports (and off-shoring) more appealing.

I don't support a $15 minimum wage everywhere. I'd make a national $12 minimum wage and allow states and cities to adjust it higher given their cost of living. I'd also remove the minimum wage requirement for small businesses. That will result in some price inflation for the poor, but some of that cost will be placed on higher salary people, the wealthy, and corporations.

Where are the jobs that pay a living wage when they work 40 hours?

What is a living wage for a teenager living at home and is covered under their parents health insurance?

Why is it that to motivate the rich, righties want to give them more, but to motivate the poor, righties want to take more?

And don't make an argument for trickle-down. Trickle-down is a hoax.
the only thing that trickled down was money into the pockets of millionaires. Ooops!

What is a living wage for a teenager living at home and is covered under their parents health insurance?

Unfortunately we can't make a different minimum wage for each person. The best thing we can do is make sure people can afford rent, healthcare, and a simple life on a full time job.

How many of those jobs are filed by teens living at home with no expenses?

Where are the jobs that pay a living wage when they work 40 hours?

That is precisely the problem - the higher the US MW (entry level wage) gets then the higher the US cost of living gets. The average SS retirement benefit is now about $18K/year - or the full-time equivalent of $8.65/hour. Why should an entry level McWorker have more income than a (fully-retired) senior?

Unfortunately we can't make a different minimum wage for each person. The best thing we can do is make sure people can afford rent, healthcare, and a simple life on a full time job.

I will admit I am in the older age group on DP. It is my view that not all jobs are meant to be a living wage for a single person or a family.

I have asked this before. What do you want to happen to the wages of the mid level / shift supervisors? What about the wages of the more experience workers making more than "simple life" wage?

For example if a employee A makes $10/hr and a shift supervisor makes $15. You make employee A wages $20/hr. Are you going to raise the sups salary the same percentage. If you don't you just devalued your more experience worker. In simple words, ..inflation will happen.

How many of those jobs are filed by teens living at home with no expenses?

Don't know. Can you tell me.?

Around where I live the majority of fast food places are staffed with teens. I would bet the majority live at home.

Back
Top Bottom