• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Get A Damn Job!

The major flaw in that argument is that mandating higher pay causes the price of all goods and services to increase (aka inflation) which hurts those with lower incomes more.
Data shows this not to be the case. Minimum wage increases cause some degree of inflation, yes, but it's overall an improvement for the poor.

Subsidizing some of the lowest wage workers (generally limited to those with minor dependents) using tax revenue shifts that burden to those who pay the bulk of the taxes (aka not those with lower incomes).

Also flying in the face of the data. The trend is the opposite of what you claim, on every front. The rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer.

I will admit I am in the older age group on DP. It is my view that not all jobs are meant to be a living wage for a single person or a family.

I have asked this before. What do you want to happen to the wages of the mid level / shift supervisors? What about the wages of the more experience workers making more than "simple life" wage?

For example if a employee A makes $10/hr and a shift supervisor makes $15. You make employee A wages $20/hr. Are you going to raise the sups salary the same percentage. If you don't you just devalued your more experience worker. In simple words, ..inflation will happen.

In my mind, if you are working full time, you should at the very least be able to afford the most basic expenses. Like a tiny apartment and using the bus. Not comfortable, but survivable. If you disagree then at least we need to do a better job getting people educational opportunities so they can earn a better wage.

Why is it that to motivate the rich, righties want to give them more, but to motivate the poor, righties want to take more?

And don't make an argument for trickle-down. Trickle-down is a hoax.
Both trickle down and trickle up are hoaxes. When you get rid of the high tax burden of the rich, who pay the very huge majority of income taxes collected, they often expand business more, hiring more people. These people work while the poor stay home doing Playstation 4 on their couches waiting for their government benefits. One set of people WORK, the others just sponge off others while not working.

In my mind, if you are working full time, you should at the very least be able to afford the most basic expenses. Like a tiny apartment and using the bus. Not comfortable, but survivable. If you disagree then at least we need to do a better job getting people educational opportunities so they can earn a better wage.

Educational opportunities I agree with. That opportunity should include the trades.

imo, there are a number of higher education degrees that have little to no job potential in. People should pick fields of study that have good job prospects in.

Hmmm... another yahoo article within 20 minutes. I do have to wonder what yahoo is paying these days.

Anyways what are all these magical jobs that are available, pay you enough money to live on, and don't have to deal with the shitty public?
When you need money you work, even if you don't like the job and even if you don't think it pays enough. To purposely not work and collect government benefits instead is totally unacceptable.

Wait…so are you conceding that the expanded UE benefits isn’t what was causing some folks not to seek out employment during and in the immediate aftermath of the pandemic? Isn’t that what the non-Trumpists were arguing all along?
I'm saying that lazy asses who refuse to work when there are jobs everywhere and then when they have trouble paying bills they whine and complain about their unemployment benefits ending. What's wrong with that picture? Get a damn job. I hope they suffer. I want them to suffer. They should suffer. Solution: Get a damn job!

The right wants people to live in poverty to subsidize their cheap burgers because right wingers don't take the personal responsibility to actually pay for a service, they demand the taxpayers subsidize the pay of places like McDonalds and Walmart.
LOL. It is the left who have policies to perpetually keep the poor poor. I was a Democrat once decades ago and poor, making minimum wage. My parents were poor. I remember hoping minimum wage would go up so I could make more money. Then, one day, it hit me like a ton of bricks. If my only goal in life was to make minimum wage then I would always be poor. Collecting government benefits keeps you in poverty. The only way out is to get out of that mentality. It is a black hole that sucks you in but I was able to escape.

The truth is, paying people NOT to work has been a failure from the start. In my area, there are help wanted signs in front of most stores. Many of the local fast food places have to limit the hours they are open because they can't find enough workers.

In simple words, ..inflation will happen.

The inflation caused by increasing the minimum wage is called the pass-through effect, or alternatively wage-push inflation. It has been studied extensively for over 50 years, and the mechanism is well understood. A 10% increase in the minimum wage will result in about a 0.36% increase in price.

If all US wages (up to and including the median wage plus a bit) are raised by an equal amount (or percentage?) then how would that make an entry level US worker any better off (after the resulting price inflation of most goods/services)?

If wages for entry-level US workers go up by 10% and prices go up 0.36% they are better off because their wages increased significantly more than their cost of living.

If wages for entry-level US workers go up by 10% and prices go up 0.36% they are better off because their wages increased significantly more than their cost of living.

That’s a big “if”. That also ignores inflation’s impact on many (retired/disabled) who rely on fixed income pensions. It also impacts US goods/services cost relative to imports.

Both trickle down and trickle up are hoaxes. When you get rid of the high tax burden of the rich, who pay the very huge majority of income taxes collected, they often expand business more, hiring more people. These people work while the poor stay home doing Playstation 4 on their couches waiting for their government benefits. One set of people WORK, the others just sponge off others while not working.

Even if we were to accept your cynical view of how poverty works, (disconnected from reality though it may be) trickle-up would still work. The government gives money to your Playstation player, they use that money to buy a new PlayStation game. Demand increases for PlayStation games, creating more jobs for artists, programmers, game designers, HR, marketing, sales, accountants, executives, etc. Ultimately this puts more money in Jim Ryan's pockets to spend on fuel for his yacht, and increases the wealth of SONY shareholders.

Or as Keynes would say; Y = Y a d = C + I + G + N X

Last edited:
That’s a big “if”. That also ignores inflation’s impact on many (retired/disabled) who rely on fixed income pensions. It also impacts US goods/services cost relative to imports.

Sure. Maybe the minimum wage won't go up by 10%. I'm not saying that legislators are guaranteed to raise the minimum wage at all.

But if they were to raise it by 10%, over 50 years of research on the topic indicates that the effect on prices would only be a 0.36% increase.

Weird how supply and demand are so goddamned important until the market forces start driving wages up. Suddenly you think the idea is absurd.

The enhanced unemployment is having little to no effect on people choosing to return to work or not.

Places offering $15/hour are having no trouble filling positions.
Market forces??? Bullshit!

It's nothing but government force that trying to drive wages up. That is NOT "market forces".

If you want to see market forces, end the government unemployment. That's when the market will start working.

The lefty media's lies never end and they don't even realize how stupid they sound. Here's an article about how Republican Governors cutting off extra federal unemployment benefits aren't really getting these people to go out looking for jobs. BUT these poor people are hurting and can't pay their bills now and are having trouble affording food and other basic living necessities, with just about all employers looking for workers. Well, no duh! Get A Damn Job! The left want to let them keep not working even when jobs are available and pay them enough money to live on.

What they are doing is illegal and a slippery slope. Next they will cut SS benefits and end medicare and medicaid for their state. If fed govt is giving their citizens a benefit, the states have no right to take it away.

I will admit I am in the older age group on DP. It is my view that not all jobs are meant to be a living wage for a single person or a family.

I have asked this before. What do you want to happen to the wages of the mid level / shift supervisors? What about the wages of the more experience workers making more than "simple life" wage?

For example if a employee A makes $10/hr and a shift supervisor makes $15. You make employee A wages $20/hr. Are you going to raise the sups salary the same percentage. If you don't you just devalued your more experience worker. In simple words, ..inflation will happen.
Somehow it worked in the 60s. My dad worked a minimum wage job, full time, and could afford rent without room mates, food, transportation, and even the occasional bit of entertainment.

Why were we able to do this then, but not now?

Somehow it worked in the 60s. My dad worked a minimum wage job, full time, and could afford rent without room mates, food, transportation, and even the occasional bit of entertainment.

Why were we able to do this then, but not now?

Some will say cost of living was cheaper then. You have to ask some who are supporting the "living wage".

A do agree with the OP it is time workers return to work. It is a good time to seek a higher paying job if they are qualified.

As usual, a cherry picked graph that doesn't tell the real story. There are tons of job openings that employers can't fill while millions remain unemployed.
There are unemployed folks.

And as the graph shows, many employed folks.

Even if we were to accept your cynical view of how poverty works, (disconnected from reality though it may be) trickle-up would still work. The government gives money to your Playstation player, they use that money to buy a new PlayStation game. Demand increases for PlayStation games, creating more jobs for artists, programmers, game designers, HR, marketing, sales, accountants, executives, etc. Ultimately this puts more money in Jim Ryan's pockets to spend on fuel for his yacht, and increases the wealth of SONY shareholders.

Or as Keynes would say; Y = Y a d = C + I + G + N X
Trickle up has not worked, just as trickle down has not worked. The problem is not something that money can fix, that's why neither of those approaches works. The problem is mental. It is a way of life that people accept. Many of the poor are just plain comfortable doing the least they can do to earn just enough to get by with. If they can do as little as possible and eat bologna sandwiches with chips, twinkies, and a coke that is what they do. Why work harder or do something more to put a steak on the table? I have managed low wage employees in several different areas of the country people all of my life and know many others who have managed low wage people all of their lives, all over the country and we all notice the very same thing. Whenever these people have a chance to get ahead in life they don't take it because if they do as little as they can they can survive on baked beans and hot dogs and living in that section 8 apartment and taking the bus. They know how to get by but they don't know how to get ahead, even when they can. I have owned my own business for the last 20 years and it is always the same. I can offer more work to just about anyone who wants it but all they want is the bare minimum to get by because having $1,000 in the bank seems to be some kind of a sin so they turn more work down because they are already making enough to get by.

LOL. It is the left who have policies to perpetually keep the poor poor. I was a Democrat once decades ago and poor, making minimum wage. My parents were poor. I remember hoping minimum wage would go up so I could make more money. Then, one day, it hit me like a ton of bricks. If my only goal in life was to make minimum wage then I would always be poor. Collecting government benefits keeps you in poverty. The only way out is to get out of that mentality. It is a black hole that sucks you in but I was able to escape.

Ok great we totally agree. Nobody should work for this garbage page. Did you know it’s actually even worse than when you were younger? These low-paying jobs have been losing ground to inflation, not to mention healthcare/housing/education, for decades.

You’re absolutely right. The people who used to work these jobs should hold out for better ones.

And some fast food companies are looking at automation rather then shell out $15 for a damn burger flipper.

They would be looking at automation at $2/hour. You think an iPad is ever going to be more expensive than a human being? Don’t make me laugh.

Back
Top Bottom