• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gas Prices Are Not Too High

Well when my redneck trumper brother-in-law starts looking at electric pickup trucks gas is too high.

It will come back down though. It always does. When they find the max they can charge and not cut consumption.

Americans will keep driving trucks and SUV's.
Some people actually need those truck and SUV's.

Who said anything about "No government"?
Why, you did:

Get rid of that government. Now.

Getting rid of government leaves a nation with no government. An unworkable situation. Like it or not, we must have government. If our government needs improvement we need to fix it, not get rid of it.

Well when my redneck trumper brother-in-law starts looking at electric pickup trucks gas is too high.

It will come back down though. It always does. When they find the max they can charge and not cut consumption.

Americans will keep driving trucks and SUV's.
Electric pickups are beginning to hit the market. I imagine the range is cut dramatically if hauling a load or towing. I wonder how many campsites have the electrical capacity to charge a pickup as well as supply a camper?

Why, you did:

Getting rid of government leaves a nation with no government. An unworkable situation. Like it or not, we must have government. If our government needs improvement we need to fix it, not get rid of it.
What part of "that government" do you not understand?

Or don't you know I'm talking about the Biden puke government?

Try to focus on what you are reading here, eh?

Rising energy prices hit consumers; want to shift from fossil fuels: Survey

We will know that gas prices are too high when we see most drivers adopting fuel-saving driving habits.

Until then, gas prices are not too high.

People can now, today, stop paying those high prices for gas.

All they have to do is buy a car that doesn't use gas.

Or they can buy a car that doesn't use as much gas.

The technology and vehicles are available now. Anyone can buy one. There are used ones for those who don't want to buy a brand new vehicle.

I made the decision to never buy a regular gas car again in 2001 and I haven't.

The high gas prices in the bush boy years didn't affect me.

The high gas prices now aren't affecting me.

Everyone else can do the same.

People need to stop expecting the government to do everything for them.

Take matters in your own hands and do something about it. Today.

I get what you're saying but a lot of folks are trimming their budgets elsewhere to compensate as driving a car is a necessity for many.

Then get a different car.

Stop expecting the government to do everything for you.

You don't have to pay those high prices for transportation.

I don't.

I drive right by the gas stations laughing at all those wasting money on gas.

Then get a different car.

Stop expecting the government to do everything for you.

You don't have to pay those high prices for transportation.

I don't.

I drive right by the gas stations laughing at all those wasting money on gas.
First off, don't get yourself in trouble by making assumptions. Secondly, I drive a small, very fuel-efficient vehicle that doesn't require as much gas as most so I'm not feeling the pinch as much. Finally, what is it you think that I'm asking the government to do?

Agree ... although .. $4.x - $5.x prices for regular and diesel (average) will have an impact on constituents in the upcoming 2022 midterms... can't wait.
Good point. Biden is worried about it. He has released more oil from strategic reserves to combat high prices.

It seems the climate is doomed either way.

If gas is cheap, people waste it, pumping tons more CO2 into the atmosphere. If gas is expensive they vote for anti-progress Republicans who wish to pretend there is not human-caused climate crisis.

What we really need is that viable electric alternative, and clean power generation to recharge vehicles and devices.

One idea that seems rather obvious is low-tech, but has never been tried or talked about much.

Electric vehicles that use traditional lead-acid batteries, arranged in a standardized universal battery-pack, which mounts under the vehicle, and is so easy to swap out that it can be done faster than filling up a gas tank. When your charge gets low, you simply drive over an automatic battery-pack swap-out station, swipe your card, get a freshly charged battery pack, and on your way you go.

Or maybe that is just too simple for all these high tech minds.

For power generation, use new tech nuclear that is specifically designed to two goals:
1. It uses the spent fuel of old tech reactors as it's fuel.
2. It can't melt down.
Traveling Wave Reactor

Good point. Biden is worried about it. He has released more oil from strategic reserves to combat high prices.

It seems the climate is doomed either way.

If gas is cheap, people waste it, pumping tons more CO2 into the atmosphere. If gas is expensive they vote for anti-progress Republicans who wish to pretend there is not human-caused climate crisis.

What we really need is that viable electric alternative, and clean power generation to recharge vehicles and devices.

One idea that seems rather obvious is low-tech, but has never been tried or talked about much.

Electric vehicles that use traditional lead-acid batteries, arranged in a standardized universal battery-pack, which mounts under the vehicle, and is so easy to swap out that it can be done faster than filling up a gas tank. When your charge gets low, you simply drive over an automatic battery-pack swap-out station, swipe your card, get a freshly charged battery pack, and on your way you go.

Or maybe that is just too simple for all these high tech minds.

For power generation, use new tech nuclear that is specifically designed to two goals:
1. It uses the spent fuel of old tech reactors as it's fuel.
2. It can't melt down.
Traveling Wave Reactor
You had me until you got into the "climate is doome...d .." uh .. eh .. ugh ..

Regardless of your viewpoint .. EVERYONE is paying higher gas prices, and Joe Biden will be the beneficiary of this delight. It's sad that more constituents are high information voters.

true dat!

Good video.

And it only makes sense that shockingly high gas prices would get some people thinking about how they can cut back on their gas usage.

But for those who possess a predilection for hatred, high gas prices is just another reason to hate the president, hate government, hate people concerned with the climate crisis, etc.

Americans are spoiled by low gas prices.

People can now, today, stop paying those high prices for gas.

All they have to do is buy a car that doesn't use gas.

Or they can buy a car that doesn't use as much gas.

The technology and vehicles are available now. Anyone can buy one. There are used ones for those who don't want to buy a brand new vehicle.

I made the decision to never buy a regular gas car again in 2001 and I haven't.

The high gas prices in the bush boy years didn't affect me.

The high gas prices now aren't affecting me.

Everyone else can do the same.

People need to stop expecting the government to do everything for them.

Take matters in your own hands and do something about it. Today.
That's all fine and well for those whose driving needs only involve short trips with no hauling or towing. And I would certainly encourage those who have simple transportation needs to avail themselves of new technology.

Some people have to have larger more powerful vehicles for work and towing. Ford and Chevy are now producing electric pickup trucks but I've seen no articles on how well they are selling, or how well they perform.

The whining by the right about how Biden has personally driven up the cost of gas is a lie, as is the claim that the cost of gas killing John Q public at the gas pump.
Now for those who make a living driving, or for all the businesses dependent upon gas powered vehicles to move their product, yea the cost of gas is an issue. And yes, I appreciate one way or the other that cost is going to be passed on to the public.

But don't lie about how a fill up at the pump is killing folks in general, or our economy. It's not.

Skyrocketing housing prices, and or housing in general is a much bigger issue for the average American.
Maybe that's Biden's fault as well but the right hasn't found an even remotely plausible way to blame him for that, made more difficult by the fact housing prices were on a steep uphill climb before he even took office. But give them time. Where there's a will, and credibility is not an issue, there's a way.

That's all fine and well for those whose driving needs only involve short trips with no hauling or towing. And I would certainly encourage those who have simple transportation needs to avail themselves of new technology.

Some people have to have larger more powerful vehicles for work and towing. Ford and Chevy are now producing electric pickup trucks but I've seen no articles on how well they are selling, or how well they perform.

Just because a minority of people need a larger vehicle doesn't mean that the majority of the people can't get an electric or hybrid vehicle.

There are electric and hybrid SUVs and trucks. So people can buy one of them.

The vast majority of the people in our nation don't need a huge vehicle to haul something or tow. Those who have a boat or trailer can tow with an electric or hybrid truck or SUV. They are on the market now and anyone can buy one. Almost everyone has more than one vehicle in our nation. Use the electric or hybrid for everyday driving and use the truck when you have to haul a boat or trailer.

I don't see any excuse anymore for people to not buy an electric or hybrid vehicle.

Just because a small minority need a big long haul vehicle doesn't mean the vast majority of the people in our nation don't need an electric or hybrid vehicle.

I'm not saying that those who need a larger vehicle shouldn't have one. I'm saying those who don't need one get an electric or hybrid vehicle. I also saying that those who want a truck or SUV, get an electric or hybrid one.

The excuse of the small minority who need a huge long haul vehicle being used as an excuse for everyone else not to buy an electric or hybrid vehicle is so extremely old and tired.

People need to find a new and more viable excuse.

Or those who are whining about it, need to stop. Those of us who made the change decades ago are getting extremely tired of the whining and people expecting the government to do everything for them.

You have a choice. If you make the bad choice, stop complaining about it and expecting the government to solve your problem for you.

And damn near everywhere else.

The US falls in the middle range of gasoline prices:

Still, lower than Euro countries, where of the top 10 highest price countries, 6 are Euro:

Euro countries have much higher taxes, which mostly go to fund college tuition, but without the taxes, Euro prices are still higher.

Not when you factor in inflation.

Gasoline per gallon price inflation adjusted to Jan 2020 was the highest in 1918 at $4.27:

As of 3/28/22, the price is $4.23:

2020 inflation was about 1.40% while 2021 inflation was about 7%. That would make the highest price of 4.27 about 4.75 today:

My "...near the highest prices..." claim is thereby evidenced by fact. What did your research indicate?

The claim involved "driving habits" for "most drivers". Regardless of the price of gas, people will generally try to reduce the amount of fuel they burn.
And higher gas prices increase that motivation and increase the level of habit change.

"Price doesn't affect demand" is a ludicrous stance to take.

Of course.

I didn't take that stance, as you can see in post #25.
"People generally try not to spend money they don't have to" isn't a terribly interesting point to talk about.

"People generally try not to spend money they don't have to" isn't a terribly interesting point to talk about.

True, but when dealing with the political left, sometimes you have to state the obvious.

You had me until you got into the "climate is doome...d .." uh .. eh .. ugh ..

Regardless of your viewpoint .. EVERYONE is paying higher gas prices, and Joe Biden will be the beneficiary of this delight. It's sad that more constituents are high information voters.
You said that in your last post. But what is delightful about paying higher prices?

I disagree with the last part, though.

I think it is sad that more constituents are not high information voters.

True, but when dealing with the political left, sometimes you have to state the obvious.
I love it when you people recite the most basic ass shit under the comically-arrogant idea that nobody else knew about it.

"Guys, climate has always changed!!" No shit, sherlock. Who do you think told you that in the first place? Maybe a climate scientist?

Back
Top Bottom