• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gas Prices Are Not Too High

Just because a minority of people need a larger vehicle doesn't mean that the majority of the people can't get an electric or hybrid vehicle.

There are electric and hybrid SUVs and trucks. So people can buy one of them.

The vast majority of the people in our nation don't need a huge vehicle to haul something or tow. Those who have a boat or trailer can tow with an electric or hybrid truck or SUV. They are on the market now and anyone can buy one. Almost everyone has more than one vehicle in our nation. Use the electric or hybrid for everyday driving and use the truck when you have to haul a boat or trailer.

I don't see any excuse anymore for people to not buy an electric or hybrid vehicle.

Just because a small minority need a big long haul vehicle doesn't mean the vast majority of the people in our nation don't need an electric or hybrid vehicle.

I'm not saying that those who need a larger vehicle shouldn't have one. I'm saying those who don't need one get an electric or hybrid vehicle. I also saying that those who want a truck or SUV, get an electric or hybrid one.

The excuse of the small minority who need a huge long haul vehicle being used as an excuse for everyone else not to buy an electric or hybrid vehicle is so extremely old and tired.

People need to find a new and more viable excuse.

Or those who are whining about it, need to stop. Those of us who made the change decades ago are getting extremely tired of the whining and people expecting the government to do everything for them.

You have a choice. If you make the bad choice, stop complaining about it and expecting the government to solve your problem for you.
Lotta that going on.

Many who used to buy a big Cadillac or a Lincoln, today they simply buy a big truck or SUV and never haul anything.

Even those with occasional hauling needs could consider a smaller more efficient vehicle with a removable hitch and a cargo trailer. Best of both worlds. Although, I don't know if there are electric or hybrid vehicles rated for towing. I did see a Prius with a hitch one day...

And higher gas prices increase that motivation and increase the level of habit change.

"Price doesn't affect demand" is a ludicrous stance to take.
The price hike after Katrina caused me to change my driving habits for more efficiency. From then on , I saw no reason to change back to being wasteful.

"People generally try not to spend money they don't have to" isn't a terribly interesting point to talk about.
I think conscientious people with good budgeting skills do that, but I see that sort of behavior as the exception rather than the rule. Most seem to have rather frivolous spending habits, and an inability to save much goes right along with it. Is it not true that 3/4 of American workers live paycheck to paycheck? Many reach retirement age, do not have enough savings or SS income, and have to continue working during retirement years.

Just because a minority of people need a larger vehicle doesn't mean that the majority of the people can't get an electric or hybrid vehicle.

There are electric and hybrid SUVs and trucks. So people can buy one of them.

The vast majority of the people in our nation don't need a huge vehicle to haul something or tow. Those who have a boat or trailer can tow with an electric or hybrid truck or SUV. They are on the market now and anyone can buy one. Almost everyone has more than one vehicle in our nation. Use the electric or hybrid for everyday driving and use the truck when you have to haul a boat or trailer.

I don't see any excuse anymore for people to not buy an electric or hybrid vehicle.

Just because a small minority need a big long haul vehicle doesn't mean the vast majority of the people in our nation don't need an electric or hybrid vehicle.

I'm not saying that those who need a larger vehicle shouldn't have one. I'm saying those who don't need one get an electric or hybrid vehicle. I also saying that those who want a truck or SUV, get an electric or hybrid one.

The excuse of the small minority who need a huge long haul vehicle being used as an excuse for everyone else not to buy an electric or hybrid vehicle is so extremely old and tired.

People need to find a new and more viable excuse.

Or those who are whining about it, need to stop. Those of us who made the change decades ago are getting extremely tired of the whining and people expecting the government to do everything for them.

You have a choice. If you make the bad choice, stop complaining about it and expecting the government to solve your problem for you.
Several years ago, I was one of those Gotta-Have-a-Truck so anything else is a waste people. Well, after a stint with belt tightening trying a Smart For-2 then a Prius, I finally bought both an eCar (A Tesla, best ar I've ever owned) and a Zero eMotorcycle. I still have the truck (an E150 with a V8 and 35 gallon tank), but hung up the keys for everything except hauling with it last year. Since last Thanksgiving 2021 (I hauled furniture for my mom in November), I have only been to a gas station ONCE, about a month ago before the price went over $3.50 as a hedge. The eV's are plugged, fully charged, used as needed, and always ready to go.

The realization over time has been that as crucial and necessary a truck is, it's only put to use about 2% of the time, and there is no need to burn gasoline for 98% of rest of my transportation needs. When the new Ford Lightning truck is finally available, plan is to trade off the van for one. In the mean time, the van will suffice and stay. It's good to no longer be a fuel slave.

I think conscientious people with good budgeting skills do that, but I see that sort of behavior as the exception rather than the rule. Most seem to have rather frivolous spending habits, and an inability to save much goes right along with it. Is it not true that 3/4 of American workers live paycheck to paycheck? Many reach retirement age, do not have enough savings or SS income, and have to continue working during retirement years.
People don't live paycheck to paycheck because their spending habits are bad, they live paycheck to paycheck because they aren't paid enough to live comfortably.

Gasoline per gallon price inflation adjusted to Jan 2020 was the highest in 1918 at $4.27:

As of 3/28/22, the price is $4.23:

2020 inflation was about 1.40% while 2021 inflation was about 7%. That would make the highest price of 4.27 about 4.75 today:

My "...near the highest prices..." claim is thereby evidenced by fact. What did your research indicate?

That moment when you miss something that your own source said:

Inflation-Adjusted-Gasoline-Price-Feb-2020.png

People don't live paycheck to paycheck because their spending habits are bad, they live paycheck to paycheck because they aren't paid enough to live comfortably.
It is a combination of both. Driving habits are an indicator that most people are not willing to even change their habits to save money. And how many people flip the light off when they leave a room? How many people living in an older place have made meticulous use of weather stripping and caulk? Does everyone make sure their HVAC filter is replaced regularly? How many people have a toilet or faucet that runs on, wasting water, energy and money? How many people put the recycling bin out to the street every week, whether it is full or not, thus causing the truck to make another stop? If people are rinsing, drying and crushing everything that goes into the bin it doesn't stink. Only those with a large family would have a whole bin full every week. Putting a half-full bin out is a waste of energy. Most people never think about these wise things.

Just the fact that so many convenience stores and fast food outlets do such a big business attests to the wasteful spending habits of most Americans. A thrifty spender has no need of either. A thrifty spender is an outlier in this instant gratification world. A thrifty spender is the rare bird who appreciates delayed gratification.

You said that in your last post. But what is delightful about paying higher prices?

I disagree with the last part, though.

I think it is sad that more constituents are not high information voters.
I misspoke .. and agree (and this is consistent with my narrative), that most voters are low information voters (OR They are Not High Information Voters)

I misspoke .. and agree (and this is consistent with my narrative), that most voters are low information voters (OR They are Not High Information Voters)
High information voters would be more likely to understand that gas prices are high because of the sanctions on Russia, that President Biden warned us this was going to happen. High information voters would consider paying the high prices to be their part in the shared burden for helping Ukraine.

Several years ago, I was one of those Gotta-Have-a-Truck so anything else is a waste people. Well, after a stint with belt tightening trying a Smart For-2 then a Prius, I finally bought both an eCar (A Tesla, best ar I've ever owned) and a Zero eMotorcycle. I still have the truck (an E150 with a V8 and 35 gallon tank), but hung up the keys for everything except hauling with it last year. Since last Thanksgiving 2021 (I hauled furniture for my mom in November), I have only been to a gas station ONCE, about a month ago before the price went over $3.50 as a hedge. The eV's are plugged, fully charged, used as needed, and always ready to go.

The realization over time has been that as crucial and necessary a truck is, it's only put to use about 2% of the time, and there is no need to burn gasoline for 98% of rest of my transportation needs. When the new Ford Lightning truck is finally available, plan is to trade off the van for one. In the mean time, the van will suffice and stay. It's good to no longer be a fuel slave.
Looks pretty cool, but I'm sure that running the AC,hauling anything, and/or towing anything will drastically reduce the range, but it's priced at about half the Rivian.

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Surpasses Goals With 320-Mile Maximum Range

The US falls in the middle range of gasoline prices:

Still, lower than Euro countries, where of the top 10 highest price countries, 6 are Euro:

Euro countries have much higher taxes, which mostly go to fund college tuition, but without the taxes, Euro prices are still higher.
Good info, thanks.

That moment when you miss something that your own source said:

Inflation-Adjusted-Gasoline-Price-Feb-2020.png

How would I know what I "missed" if you don't point it out? I can only guess what you mean because you won't say so. What, exactly, did I say that was in error and why? Please advise.

Back
Top Bottom