• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gas Prices Are Not Too High

Same here. I learned how to make groceries last and last during the pandemic, and I see no reason to go back to decadent unneeded trips.
When we went through this in the 70's, I said I felt like I was living on Little House on the Prairie, making a big trip to town every two weeks and otherwise making do, like stopping on the way to work for milk.

Senior' Peace... - always wanted to use that line!

I remember what my driving instructor told me when I did 'jack-rabbit' starts and was constantly on the brakes:
"When you step on the brakes, it has the same effect as standing on the gas pedal - it takes gasoline to gather speed, and using the brakes is turning that fuel into heat." "Drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal." Done both most of my life, and it works.

In a hurry, leave 2 minutes earlier. Park instead of sitting in a drive-through lane. Put your kids on the school bus. Own something that weighs less than 2 tons.
Thank you!

Excellent advice. And choose work and living accommodations so as to minimize needed driving, or use mass transit. It's not worth slightly higher pay if it requires more expense and time to commute. Also note that your time is worth something as well. It is unwise to freely choose to spend great amounts of time (out of your limited lifetime) behind the wheel - not to mention dangerous. Driving is the most dangerous thing most Americans ever do. Minimize the miles and reduce the risk of becoming a traffic fatality. 40,000 Americans die yearly on our highways.

Get a job close to home, or get a home close to work!

Sounds nice for a change. I do like to get away sometimes, but I like the big city and all it has to offer for where I choose to live. To each, his or her own. Something for everybody.
I miss the food in a city, but that's about it. And boy, do I miss the food.

The day I filled my tank at $4.2499, I drove home at 50 mph. I've gotten over it now, though. The only people who drive 50 mph around here are the stoners.
I doubt that is accurate, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Given past history people have a certain amountll of money they will accept to pay for gas/fuel. If the cost is below that they do not try to save fuel. Notice that large inefficient vehicles sell very well when gas prices are low. Only when the cost of fuel is above that level, and it depends in the person of course do they make changes to driving habits, to save fuel ( and money) From making fewer trips, driving in a fuel saving manner, or selling fuel inefficient vehicles to buy more efficient one
Instant gratification minds do not make very efficient long-term savers.

Move to smaller communities so one can take up bicycling and walking to work and for a night out and for your health and because it feels good. That's a big reason I relocated to this college town. It's easy to get around....... on foot or on two tires or skateboarding. And I average about 7,000 miles or less annually on our fossil fuel vehicle.
Right on! Good choices. Thanks for doing your part. America is better off for such habits.

I miss the food in a city, but that's about it. And boy, do I miss the food.
I miss seeing the stars. Light pollution wrecks the viewing. That's why I do like to get away from time to time.

some people paid $8/gal today.

What do you doubt?
That the only people driving slowly are stoners. My impression is that is a guess. Might be in some cases but how can that be confirmed? It could just as well be people who got sticker-shock at filling up.

That the people driving slowly are stoners. My impression is that is a guess. Might be in some cases but how can that be confirmed? It could just as well be people who got sticker-shock at filling up.
LOL This started awhile ago when we went recreational and 4 pot shops cropped up. But you're right. I'm sure a few have other reasons.

some people paid $8/gal today.
And if they go out there and carelessly burn it all up with wasteful driving habits then they are obviously not very concerned with how much it is costing them.

And if they go out there and carelessly burn it all up with wasteful driving habits then they are obviously not very concerned with how much it is costing them.
i was speaking of London.

No.

How much are you paying, Caught? It's 4.04 here, has been for a couple of weeks.
i was speaking of London to make a point.

$8.50/gal in Israel.

My observations of drivers in the USA is they seem to think they are on the TV show Grand Tour.
I can't tell you how many guys I know who have pickup trucks who never haul anything. It's kind of funny.

Before I complain about the cost of a gallon of gas, I look at other things and their costs compared to what I paid when I was first married. Hubs and I bought our first house in a Minneapolis suburb for $17,000. That house sold just a few months ago for $325,000. up 19x. Gas then was 30 cents a gallon. Multiply that by 19 and the cost would be $5.70 a gallon. So, is anyone blaming Biden for the cost of housing? The big thing to think about is that wages, for the middle and lower class wage earners have not increased by 19 times. I have only a comparison for my husband who was a new college graduate working as a kind of engineer for $550 a month. Multiplying that number by 19 would be $10,450 a month, a salary that doesn't exist for new graduates doing drafting work for the most part.

But, I'll bet the CEOs and other executives are making a lot more than 19 times the equivalent CEOs made in 1964. And shareholders are raking it in and corporations are swimming in money and high stock prices. So, don't look at the president (any president) and blame him (or her in the future)
It's greed in the .1% that has caused the ridiculously-high increases in just about everything that a middle class family needs to live a decent life.

When we went through this in the 70's, I said I felt like I was living on Little House on the Prairie, making a big trip to town every two weeks and otherwise making do, like stopping on the way to work for milk.
The likelihood that we'll soon be facing a similar situation as we did in the 70's is very high, which brought a pretty severe recession, so much so that it may in fact we may be facing a situation very much worse, with the present administration's 'war on gas and oil'. Yes, yes, I know all about the misleading facts from the administration about leases, but that's not accurately representing all their other actions which effectively does nothing more than raise costs imposed on that industry.

What we are witnessing is the result of near religious anti-oil zealotry with supply chain disruption hangover from COVID, as well as the impact of the complications to global supply chains and raw materials sourcing caused by the Russian war on Ukraine. It's like the perfect storm. Almost if it were designed with intent and forethought.

Gas prices too high?
The US market has historically a lower market price tolerance than the European nations. I think it partially because of nation's people's differing characters as well as transportation options and travel distances in their countries.

Gas prices too high?
That's partially a matter of what the market will bear (elastic demand component) as well as partially what the market will be forced to bear (inelastic demand component). Everyone must realize that there are things that you won't do to skimp on gas expenses, and there are other things that you will do regardless of gas expenses. By this I mean that you aren't going to stop driving to work because of gas prices, but you might not drive long distances to attend that wedding in another state. Everyone is going to make their own decisions by their own priorities, which is an inherent 'feature' of a largely free market, i.e. everyone gets to name their own poison.

The part that those who welcome higher fuel prices (to make alternative sources more viable in the market) keep seeing to miss, higher fuel prices are always reflected in every store, grocery, cloths, house hold goods, every store, which you visit in the form of higher prices and increased inflation pressures. Seems that this aspect in the near religious zealotry support for higher fuel prices keeps getting missed or purposefully ignored, overridden by that near religious zealotry of eco-mentalism or eco-extremism.

Before I complain about the cost of a gallon of gas, I look at other things and their costs compared to what I paid when I was first married. Hubs and I bought our first house in a Minneapolis suburb for $17,000. That house sold just a few months ago for $325,000. up 19x. Gas then was 30 cents a gallon. Multiply that by 19 and the cost would be $5.70 a gallon. So, is anyone blaming Biden for the cost of housing? The big thing to think about is that wages, for the middle and lower class wage earners have not increased by 19 times. I have only a comparison for my husband who was a new college graduate working as a kind of engineer for $550 a month. Multiplying that number by 19 would be $10,450 a month, a salary that doesn't exist for new graduates doing drafting work for the most part.
This is a good observation on your part. The number change, but it's the ration of hours of work vs. what you can buy with it.

A good benchmark is the cost of a loaf of bread vs. how many hours (or factional hours worked to buy it) or so I have been told, and not necessarily real estate or a gallon of gas, which have a more volatile pricing.

But, I'll bet the CEOs and other executives are making a lot more than 19 times the equivalent CEOs made in 1964. And shareholders are raking it in and corporations are swimming in money and high stock prices. So, don't look at the president (any president) and blame him (or her in the future)
It's greed in the .1% that has caused the ridiculously-high increases in just about everything that a middle class family needs to live a decent life.
I think in further and deeper analysis your assertion there may not turn out to be as correct as you may think. CEO compensation is working in a market as well, and board of directors, who hire CEOs aren't inclined to wasteful spending on CEO compensation, recall that the compensation numbers can be misleading.

This is a good observation on your part. The number change, but it's the ration of hours of work vs. what you can buy with it.

A good benchmark is the cost of a loaf of bread vs. how many hours (or factional hours worked to buy it) or so I have been told, and not necessarily real estate or a gallon of gas, which have a more volatile pricing.

I think in further and deeper analysis your assertion there may not turn out to be as correct as you may think. CEO compensation is working in a market as well, and board of directors, who hire CEOs aren't inclined to wasteful spending on CEO compensation, recall that the compensation numbers can be misleading.

Note US CEO get paid significantly more that equivalent CEOs for Japanese or most European ones. The compensation system for CEOs in the US has been broken for many years

Note US CEO get paid significantly more that equivalent CEOs for Japanese or most European ones. The compensation system for CEOs in the US has been broken for many years
I don't believe the markets you are comparing are the same, and as such are going to have differing results.

Well when my redneck trumper brother-in-law starts looking at electric pickup trucks gas is too high.

It will come back down though. It always does. When they find the max they can charge and not cut consumption.

Americans will keep driving trucks and SUV's.

Back
Top Bottom