• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For all the South-haters...

I grew up in Wisconsin...Kids got excused absences for a whole week for deer hunting seasons. Not just a southern thing....

Rural North Dakota too.

Having spent a bit of time vacationing at Hilton Head, I wouldn't exactly hold them out as the beacon of southern hospitality. On the plus side, most of them with a stick up the pooter are retired Yankee doctors and lawyers and stuff. I refer to HH as "Little Ohio"

Having spent a bit of time vacationing at Hilton Head, I wouldn't exactly hold them out as the beacon of southern hospitality. On the plus side, most of them with a stick up the pooter are retired Yankee doctors and lawyers and stuff. I refer to HH as "Little Ohio"

I like Hilton Head. I think it's beautiful. I don't know - I can't speak for them but tourists do get frustrating from time to time. No offense, please. Our stores are full, our beaches are full and our prices get jacked up for the summer. Most of us live for September. :lol:

I like Hilton Head. I think it's beautiful. I don't know - I can't speak for them but tourists do get frustrating from time to time. No offense, please. Our stores are full, our beaches are full and our prices get jacked up for the summer. Most of us live for September. :lol:

I was friends with a family that owned a cottage in the Shipyard Plantation. Their security was pretty obnoxious even with property owners.

Thanks for posting this.

I was friends with a family that owned a cottage in the Shipyard Plantation. Their security was pretty obnoxious even with property owners.

:lol: Not surprised, really. HH is beautiful but it is upper crust. Funny how, on the island on the road that takes you to the ocean, most all of the businesses are buried a few hundred feet off the road, behind trees. They want the revenue from all the stores and restaurants - they just don't want to have to look at them.

:lol: Not surprised, really. HH is beautiful but it is upper crust. Funny how, on the island on the road that takes you to the ocean, most all of the businesses are buried a few hundred feet off the road, behind trees. They want the revenue from all the stores and restaurants - they just don't want to have to look at them.

....and even though Pizza Hut's roof is hidden by said trees, they cannot use standard PH red because that is just too tacky for HH.

I have lived in the north and south. I see less racism in the south...

when i was active army,i got to meet alot of people from all over the country,and northernors by far hold the highest concentration ofrascists in the country.

worst state is ohio,seems 1 in 3 people from that state who are white are members of the kkk,not like secret members they display their robes in their houses.nearly everyone from michigan ive seen has been racist,minnesota as well as wisconsin.new york is highly racist as is california,california probably being the worst as the state is almost entirely segregated,with rich white people in one comunity,rich mexicans in another,middle class in another,and middle class and poor mexicans in another,blacks in cali dont ever seem to be in any of those comunities.states like cali brag about how diversafied they are yet if you were black and walked through an upper class neighborhood,you would have the cops called on you for looking suspicious(aka being black).

even wierder in cali skinhead neo nazi white supremecists seem to flock there,you cant find any small town in cali thats mostly white that isnt run by them.

... who think we're all a bunch of slack-jawed racist hicks who live in barns...

...here's a look at the real, modern South!

North Carolina...
The Outer Banks

View attachment 67146884]

Caesar's Head in the mountains...

View attachment 67146885

The North Carolina Zoological Park, a huge animal preserve...

View attachment 67146886

The Carolina Rennaissance Fair...

View attachment 67146887

South Carolina...

View attachment 67146888

The funny thing about the stereotyping of the south, is we probably have more northeasterners who have moved down here than native born Georgians.

I like the South. Some really great people are from there (e.g. Jimmy Carter).

I am not a South-hater, by any stretch, but I think I understand why the South remains, even now, a "bad place", in many American minds.

It has History. Like, a lot of painful, bloody History - impossible to forget.

The South gave birth to the great American literature, and the great American music (kind of like Russia or Poland, for similar unfortunate reasons?) but at the cost of reminding everyone up north that the great American experiment of escaping from History, of starting anew, as free individuals who had left behind all those tribal and confessional hatreds - that it had failed. For way too many people, in a most dramatic way.

The Southerners - whether those fitting the worst stereotypes, or those overcoming all that legacy heroically - are reminding us, by their very presence, that we don't have a magic formula, that the Old World's (human nature's) demons may be just a few Supreme Court decisions or a few botched presidential directives away.

We don't want to be reminded. My American experience is pretty much limited, in reality, to Massachusetts, New Hampshire and the state of Washington. I had lived in Louisiana for six months, and I loved it, but I knew: I am a tourist here - my home is over there, where most trees have needles, as they should, and winters are for real, and where my naïve youthful immigrant ideas of America (you know, the green lady with her torch and all that) had matched the reality, one hundred percent, and then some...

I guess we just have to be patient with each other.

I am not a South-hater, by any stretch, but I think I understand why the South remains, even now, a "bad place", in many American minds.

It has History. Like, a lot of painful, bloody History - impossible to forget.

The South gave birth to the great American literature, and the great American music (kind of like Russia or Poland, for similar unfortunate reasons?) but at the cost of reminding everyone up north that the great American experiment of escaping from History, of starting anew, as free individuals who had left behind all those tribal and confessional hatreds - that it had failed. For way too many people, in a most dramatic way.

The Southerners - whether those fitting the worst stereotypes, or those overcoming all that legacy heroically - are reminding us, by their very presence, that we don't have a magic formula, that the Old World's (human nature's) demons may be just a few Supreme Court decisions or a few botched presidential directives away.

We don't want to be reminded. My American experience is pretty much limited, in reality, to Massachusetts, New Hampshire and the state of Washington. I had lived in Louisiana for six months, and I loved it, but I knew: I am a tourist here - my home is over there, where most trees have needles, as they should, and winters are for real, and where my naïve youthful immigrant ideas of America (you know, the green lady with her torch and all that) had matched the reality, one hundred percent, and then some...

I guess we just have to be patient with each other.

As an old Georgia boy, I don't know whether to nod or shake my head. I spose that is how it should be.

I don't know if you are serious of just funning. But with Jimmy as governor, due to to foresightedness when it came to integration and equality of one and all. He saved Georgia from going through a lot of pain that Alabama and Mississippi and a couple of other states did. Until a couple of years ago the motto of Atlanta was, "A city too busy to hate." I just can see how A T L can replace that.

I'm kind of jealous of those red neck Southerners.

Well on the Left Coast in Southern California we have something known as diversity.

Beat this Red States.

281856109_bf9248959e.jpg

GangGraffiti-Main.jpg

Gangs-MS13-Graffiti-18thStreetKillers-02.jpg

The south has cities, black people in various amounts of powerful positions, and there's resorts. Yes.

But, I will still attack ideas that are still held in the region regarding its past and political outlook.

You mean the ideas of those famous southerners, Jefferson, Madison, Washington, those past political outlooks?

oooOOOOoooooooh the Humanity...

Pretty smart folks I am guessing.

... who think we're all a bunch of slack-jawed racist hicks who live in barns...

...here's a look at the real, modern South!

North Carolina...
The Outer Banks

Caesar's Head in the mountains...

The North Carolina Zoological Park, a huge animal preserve...

The Carolina Rennaissance Fair...

South Carolina...

I wouldn't rate the carolinas as really "southern" anymore. They are great places, don't get me wrong, but they seem to be the new northeast exodus target. In other words they are neo-florida. Which actually works out pretty well in their favor because florida is the brand name, and this makes the carolinas more of the reasonably priced quality area for non-brand whores to move to. Well, except for myrtle beach. This works well for the carolinas as florida skims off the santorum of the northeast exodus, while the carolinas get the more reasonable moderates from the north. You mix their moderate liberalism and desire for a simple but good life with the manners and community ideals of the carolina natives and you get a really great mix of people. That is not to mention the totally awesome weather which makes you walk outside most days and be happy to be alive. I have never seen smack you in the face good weather like you get in the carolinas. The nice hits you in the face like the bitter cold of northeast winters, or the oppressive hot of florida summer humidity.

But really the carolinas are not actually the south. When people think of the south they think of places that look much more like the midwest, GA, AL, MS, and texas. These are places with a lot of poverty, very little going on, and a big chunk of redneck idiots living there. The carolinas are different than the "south." Due to the migration of culture and their totally awesome weather patterns, and some really strict community decoration programs they are really one of the better looking and more cultural areas of the US. They have not made the mistakes of florida of cramming everyone in a postage stamp, and they have not made the mistakes of the northeast by building everything up. The carolinas were what happens when you take the mistakes of the northeast like high taxes and cramped living, and recognize the mistakes made in the construction of god's waiting room, and create a well balanced place with things to do and mix the nice southern hospitality with the liberal northeast mindset. The carolinas truly stand out when you have actually lived in places like NY, Florida, and a number of actual southern places like I have. They are a culture that should be all their own, and they are certainly not pure southern anymore.

Have you seriously studied any history? Jimmy Carter is perhaps, with close competition by Woody Wilson and Barry Obama, FDR doing probably the most overall long-term [so far] damage, the worst president in our history.

Don't troll. It'll just confuse the southerners (who are actually northerners), and they'll have to go beat up some gays to vent their frustrations.

I only beat up gay people to vent my sexual frustrations!!!

:2razz:

That is one of the very few Hank Williams Jr. Songs that I like.

Me and Bocephus were good ole' drinking buddies back in the day. Nothing like an old dive bar and a good jukebox... But, me and my rowdy friends have settled down...So now it's all whimsical reminiscence...

But where are the mullets, Goshin? :confused:

I was expecting more mullets.

Back
Top Bottom