• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For all the South-haters...

Goshin

Burned Out Ex-Mod
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
... who think we're all a bunch of slack-jawed racist hicks who live in barns...

...here's a look at the real, modern South!

North Carolina...
The Outer Banks

NC1.jpg]

Caesar's Head in the mountains...

NC2.jpg

The North Carolina Zoological Park, a huge animal preserve...

NC3.jpg

The Carolina Rennaissance Fair...

NCRenn.jpg

South Carolina...

SC1.jpg

More SC...

Charleston historic district...

SC2.jpg

Some SC rednecks for your amusement...

charleston-bicycle-tours.jpg

Georgia...

Atlanta...

atlantaNight.jpg

The Georgia Aquarium, the country's largest salt-water aquarium...

GeorgiaAquarium.jpg

Helena GA

helenaGA.jpg

Oh look, here's some more slack-jawed Southern bigots...

GAzoo.jpg

Note: All pictures were taken from the port side of a mobile trailer.

... who think we're all a bunch of slack-jawed racist hicks who live in barns...

...here's a look at the real, modern South!

North Carolina...
The Outer Banks
View attachment 67146873
Caesar's Head in the mountains...

View attachment 67146874

View attachment 67146875

The Carolina Rennaissance Fair...
View attachment 67146876

South Carolina...
View attachment 67146877

Charleston's Historic district....

View attachment 67146878

Oh, and here are some of those slack-jawed Southern bigots you were just badmouthing...

View attachment 67146879

Georgia...
Atlanta...
View attachment 67146880

The Georgia Aquarium, the country's largest salt-water aquarium...
View attachment 67146881

Helena GA
View attachment 67146882

Oh look, here's some more slack-jawed Southern bigots...
View attachment 67146883

I lived in Hot Springs Ark for 3 years and I loved it.

The people were great-do anything for you.

If I didn't have to work I'd move back in a heartbeat!

And in answer to all this talk about the South still being a hotbed of racism...

Darrin-3_March_09.jpg

Darrin Todd Thomas, President

Thomas Media Group, LLC

Florence, SC

hodges-speaks1.jpg

Rev. Kenneth Hodges, well known SC House of Representatives leader, minister of Tabernacle Baptist Church and owner of LyBenson Gallery in Beaufort

nhaley.jpg

SC Governor Nikki Randhawa Haley, of Sikh Indian decent...

...and that is just a few of thousands of successful minorities in the modern South.

And here's a video of the governor of one of those southern states, waxing eloquently on reducing the responsibility of the job he is auditioning for.

I live in the southern part of Missouri. There's a school roughly 25 miles away which lets out of school for an entire week because of the start of deer hunting season. My school was full of "n*****" haters who wore baggy pants around their thighs.

Look, no one rationally thinks all of the South are racist inbreeding morons. And I've been to some of the more "educated" cities and I much prefer the hospitality and kindness of where I live over the rudeness I found in Chicago (and other places). But let's not pretend that parading out a couple of niceties destroys the stereotype.

And here's a video of the governor of one of those southern states, waxing eloquently on reducing the responsibility of the job he is auditioning for.

I live in the southern part of Missouri. There's a school roughly 25 miles away which lets out of school for an entire week because of the start of deer hunting season. My school was full of "n*****" haters who wore baggy pants around their thighs.

Look, no one rationally thinks all of the South are racist inbreeding morons. And I've been to some of the more "educated" cities and I much prefer the hospitality and kindness of where I live over the rudeness I found in Chicago (and other places). But let's not pretend that parading out a couple of niceties destroys the stereotype.

Because the stereotype is no longer generally true. So you found a place you can call a hotbed of redneck racism... that does not mean the whole of the South is like that.

Because the stereotype is no longer generally true.
It's more true than it should be. Wasn't it only a few months ago North Carolina passed a Constitutional Amendment banning homosexual marriage? Was it not a year or two ago when Arizona passed its racial profiling law? I still remember the story from last year in Texas where a man hung a metal chair soon after Clint Eastwood's speech to the RNC.

So you found a place you can call a hotbed of redneck racism... that does not mean the whole of the South is like that.
Of course the whole of the South is not like that. But I think you're drastically overstating the improvements which have been made, especially when you move to the more rural areas.

The South is not full of slackjawed racist ignorant yokels, just like the Northeast is not full of pseudo-intellectual pompous jackasses. It's just that there are more of them there than in other places.

It's more true than it should be. Wasn't it only a few months ago North Carolina passed a Constitutional Amendment banning homosexual marriage? Was it not a year or two ago when Arizona passed its racial profiling law? I still remember the story from last year in Texas where a man hung a metal chair soon after Clint Eastwood's speech to the RNC.

Of course the whole of the South is not like that. But I think you're drastically overstating the improvements which have been made, especially when you move to the more rural areas.

The South is not full of slackjawed racist ignorant yokels, just like the Northeast is not full of pseudo-intellectual pompous jackasses. It's just that there are more of them there than in other places.

I have lived in the north and south. I see less racism in the south...

North Carolina...
The Outer Banks

View attachment 67146884]

i'm trying to figure out which lighthouse this is. i miss the Outer Banks. my family used to hit Winston Salem every year, and then spend a week around Corrolla / Whalehead for bodyboarding and other assorted fun. we rented a house called Crawford's Lookout which was just an amazing place to stay. those were some of the best times i had as a teenager.

Southern? Americans and geography. *sigh*

Ok Spud, I confess that in the "who is more Southern" contest Oz has a SLIGHT advantage... being in the frickin' Southern HEMISPHERE.... :mrgreen:

To troll or not to troll, that is the question.

To troll or not to troll, that is the question.

Don't troll. It'll just confuse the southerners (who are actually northerners), and they'll have to go beat up some gays to vent their frustrations.

Don't troll. It'll just confuse the southerners (who are actually northerners), and they'll have to go beat up some gays to vent their frustrations.

I knew this was going to be a two-beer thread before I started it...

NC3.jpg

Wow... I had no idea that there was anything like that in my neck of the woods.

I'm going to have to check the place out if I get a chance. :mrgreen:

Through the Florida Keys. 2 hours of nothing but the most beautiful, emerald green water (although it doesn't show it here, it's very green)

south1.jpg

Savannah (one of my favorite places in the world)

south2.jpg

Hilton Head Island

south3.jpg

Cumberland Island, GA

south5.jpg

Because the stereotype is no longer generally true. So you found a place you can call a hotbed of redneck racism... that does not mean the whole of the South is like that.

For someone with plenty of geographic stereotypes, you sure like to complain when others do it

The south has cities, black people in various amounts of powerful positions, and there's resorts. Yes.

But, I will still attack ideas that are still held in the region regarding its past and political outlook.

The south has cities, black people in various amounts of powerful positions, and there's resorts. Yes.

The reason I felt the need to post this stuff, is there's a certain clique of ignorant wretches who like to pretend there is nothing south of the Mason-Dixon line but barns and cows and slack-jawed inbred racist hicks.

The reason I felt the need to post this stuff, is there's a certain clique of ignorant wretches who like to pretend there is nothing south of the Mason-Dixon line but barns and cows and slack-jawed inbred racist hicks.

They think the plantations are still running things :p

I live in the southern part of Missouri. There's a school roughly 25 miles away which lets out of school for an entire week because of the start of deer hunting season.

I grew up in Wisconsin...Kids got excused absences for a whole week for deer hunting seasons. Not just a southern thing....

Back
Top Bottom