• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fallout: New Vegas

All I can say is thank God the new fallout is being directed by Feargus Urquhart again. Fallout 3 sucked big time. It totally lost the feel of the original series. Not to mention the ending was awful, and the endless chain of add-ons brought nothing interesting.

Compared to the genius of Fallout 1 and 2, Fallout 3 was an awful shambling mess. Plus, the new one has Michael Dorn. Michael Dorn people!

I am immensely enjoying Fallout 3 and would love to be able to find the first 2 games. I don't know how I missed these games, but I will play a game for awhile and then go for a long time without playing any games. I guess it was during my long sabbatical that I missed the original Fallout.

I am immensely enjoying Fallout 3 and would love to be able to find the first 2 games. I don't know how I missed these games, but I will play a game for awhile and then go for a long time without playing any games. I guess it was during my long sabbatical that I missed the original Fallout.

Fallout 1 and 2 appeared back to back in '97 and '98. They used the same engine and Fallout 2 was basically an extension of Fallout 1 (although the plot in both games were very different). They are turn-based games rather than the first person shooter that is Fallout 3. The best part of the first two games is the story, which is incredibly immersive. Lots of fun, I highly recommend them.

The side missions are more fun to me.

Don't complete the main mission unless you want to end the game.
I hate it but for some reason they've continued the end of game last mission thing, which isn't true for the "Elder Scrolls" series.

It will probably stop when they introduce the DLC.

Broken Steel fixed that though.

I would definitely get Broken Steel so you can complete the main story line, and not have to start over, or go back to a previous save bicycleman.

Broken Steel fixed that though.

I would definitely get Broken Steel so you can complete the main story line, and not have to start over, or go back to a previous save bicycleman.

For New Vegas there are still a ton of bugs and it still has the dumb, end game, last mission crappyness.

For New Vegas there are still a ton of bugs and it still has the dumb, end game, last mission crappyness.

Really? Crap. How could Bethesda sign off on that kind of ending, ugh.

And luckily I still haven't encountered any of the bugs, minus some slight freezing issues.

And luckily I still haven't encountered any of the bugs, minus some slight freezing issues.

Bethesda has been going downhill since Morrowind.

I hate it and it dumb.

Some missions don't get put into the journal, specifically a BOS and it doesn't update when you finish it.
Also another BOS doesn't activate power armor training, annoying as hell.

I hate it and it dumb.

Yes it is, and I bet you there will be a DLC to "fix" that issue, all at the price of $10 bucks.

Some missions don't get put into the journal, specifically a BOS and it doesn't update when you finish it.
Also another BOS doesn't activate power armor training, annoying as hell.

Are you playing on a PC or a console? And I just met the BOS, so I'll watch out for that.

Yes it is, and I bet you there will be a DLC to "fix" that issue, all at the price of $10 bucks.

:censored

Are you playing on a PC or a console? And I just met the BOS, so I'll watch out for that.

PC, I haven't dl'd the bug fix patch yet, so that could all be resolved now.

Yep, though I don't know if PC DLC is still free like it used to be, but I know on the console it will probably be $10 worth of Microsoft points.

Yeah, there was an update for the game that I d/l so hopefully all that is resolved now.

Fallout 1 and 2 appeared back to back in '97 and '98. They used the same engine and Fallout 2 was basically an extension of Fallout 1 (although the plot in both games were very different). They are turn-based games rather than the first person shooter that is Fallout 3. The best part of the first two games is the story, which is incredibly immersive. Lots of fun, I highly recommend them.

Oh, that may be why I never noticed those 2 games because I play FPS games, only. I did try a few 3rd person games but never liked them. I did try a Diablo demo with the overhead look and liked what I saw of it but never bought the full game. I was going to buy Dead Rising 2 until I found out it was 3rd person. Now, I do like the option that Fallout 3 has by allowing the player to play 3rd person.

the patch helps, but the faults are still there, just not as common and some of the pathing issues are better. Getting hung on objects, floating critters, and not being able to get a VATS hit with 5 shots to the head on a Deathstalker at 95% no mater what still occur, but it is a LOT better. Much of that is weaknesses in the gamebryo engine, and not the game itself.

All in all it is a good game, although it feels like a massive fallout 3 addon. There were some obvious shortcuts recycling all of the old in game objects and textures. Its nice that it is so familiar - don't get me wrong this is not all bad, and they are drawing on a great frame -, but seriously, everything is recycled.. it seems they half assed their way through this. Sure it was a good formula, but every single object they could recycle was, the same safe, the same can of pork and beans, the same sinks, the same.. well everything... check out the mods out already for New Vegas, they are almost all ports of FO3 mods since it is essentially the same game in a new location.

Last edited:
Well I've been playing it for a week now and while the game is not the worst it could be it feels more like a fan-made add-on/mod to the fallout 3 game than a stand-alone expansion or a sequel, and the glitches are becoming really awkward.

Regarding Fallout 3, enroute to the Natural History museum to find the dish to place on the Washington Monument, after coming out of the New Hope Hospital, I got sidetracked into the Statesman Hotel. I fought my way to the roof, but can't go down the elevator to the lobby because I lack the required repair skill. I decided to retrace my steps but can't find the place I entered, probably because a wall or ceiling came down, blocking my original entry. While on the roof, it is impossible to warp back to one of my previous found locations so unless there is a way back that I haven't found, I suppose I must backtrack to a previously saved section. My only screwup, is I should have made a full save before going into the hotel, rather than a quicksave.

Regarding Fallout 3, enroute to the Natural History museum to find the dish to place on the Washington Monument, after coming out of the New Hope Hospital, I got sidetracked into the Statesman Hotel. I fought my way to the roof, but can't go down the elevator to the lobby because I lack the required repair skill. I decided to retrace my steps but can't find the place I entered, probably because a wall or ceiling came down, blocking my original entry. While on the roof, it is impossible to warp back to one of my previous found locations so unless there is a way back that I haven't found, I suppose I must backtrack to a previously saved section. My only screwup, is I should have made a full save before going into the hotel, rather than a quicksave.

Can't remember that one in detail but there is a way out.

Can't remember that one in detail but there is a way out.

I got on You Tube and there were 2 solutions. One guy said to jump across from the outside dining area to the adjoing roof and then jump on the roof and jump off the building. Well, I jumped across to the roof but never could get on top of the roof. Then some guy said to take Theo's body and put it on the bed under where the ceiling is caved in, place a traffic cone on top of the body and jump up to the ceiling. That was creative, but I went back to a previous save in the Metro tunnels and replayed the game. I also remembered to keep my radio on this time. That way I found out that Reilly's Rangers needed help. Since I didn't get their distress signal before, which changed the whole gameplay and made Reilly's Rangers my enemies. For some reason the surviving ranger fired on me, and I took her out. The game is highly interesting, but if you don't do something you are supposed to do, it changes the whole gameplay. In order to get off the roof, you must have the Ranger mechanic fix the elevator for you with a fission battery you get from destroying a robot. Otherwise, you are screwed, and the game has stopped for you. I discovered that I wasn't the only one who had done this particular goof up because most people don't want to listen to that endless crap on the radio, either from the Enclave or Three Dog. I learned from my mistakes, though. I leave the radio on now.

I have done Three Dog's mission to the Washington Monument and I did the National Archives side mission with the girl, Sydney, who I might add was hard to keep alive, but I managed it. Now she's an arms dealer in the Underworld.

I know where the kid's dad went to, but I am avoiding that mission and wandering around all over the place. I love this game. There are enough adventures here to last all year, I think, and I have been playing for over a week now.

I will never have time to load up the addons. I will probably be tired of the game by the time I finish it. That's what happened to me when I played the game, Painkiller.

I have read where a lot of posters here are having trouble with bugs in New Vegas. Well, I have experienced quite a few crashes in Fallout 3, but most just crash me to the desktop, with only 1 that made me do a hard boot. I would search for a patch, but I'm afraid that patching it will corrupt my saved games, and I really don't want to have to start this game all over.

Last edited:
I got on You Tube and there were 2 solutions. One guy said to jump across from the outside dining area to the adjoing roof and then jump on the roof and jump off the building. Well, I jumped across to the roof but never could get on top of the roof. Then some guy said to take Theo's body and put it on the bed under where the ceiling is caved in, place a traffic cone on top of the body and jump up to the ceiling. That was creative, but I went back to a previous save in the Metro tunnels and replayed the game. I also remembered to keep my radio on this time. That way I found out that Reilly's Rangers needed help. Since I didn't get their distress signal before, which changed the whole gameplay and made Reilly's Rangers my enemies. For some reason the surviving ranger fired on me, and I took her out. The game is highly interesting, but if you don't do something you are supposed to do, it changes the whole gameplay. In order to get off the roof, you must have the Ranger mechanic fix the elevator for you with a fission battery you get from destroying a robot. Otherwise, you are screwed, and the game has stopped for you. I discovered that I wasn't the only one who had done this particular goof up because most people don't want to listen to that endless crap on the radio, either from the Enclave or Three Dog. I learned from my mistakes, though. I leave the radio on now.

I have done Three Dog's mission to the Washington Monument and I did the National Archives side mission with the girl, Sydney, who I might add was hard to keep alive, but I managed it. Now she's an arms dealer in the Underworld.

I know where the kid's dad went to, but I am avoiding that mission and wandering around all over the place. I love this game. There are enough adventures here to last all year, I think, and I have been playing for over a week now.

I will never have time to load up the addons. I will probably be tired of the game by the time I finish it. That's what happened to me when I played the game, Painkiller.

I have read where a lot of posters here are having trouble with bugs in New Vegas. Well, I have experienced quite a few crashes in Fallout 3, but most just crash me to the desktop, with only 1 that made me do a hard boot. I would search for a patch, but I'm afraid that patching it will corrupt my saved games, and I really don't want to have to start this game all over.

You don't have to leave the radio on just watch out for special radio updates.

The best I have found to keep the game from crashing is by removing the case on on your PC, if you're playing on that.
My video card was getting over heated playing any Fallout.

I don't have a heat problem. Granted, I have a pretty awesom PC, Intel quad core, 4 Gig RAM with an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 card with 2 fans. My whole system has 8 fans altogether. I did experience a shutoff problem when I first built the PC. Stalker was shutting me down all the time, but the power supply was shutting down. I replaced it with an 850 Watt power supply, and it never shut down again. Stalker grabs lots of resources so since the PC never shuts down now with that game, I would largely rule out the PC being the problem. When I ran Stalker, my processor core would be routinely running at 175 degrees F. The problems I am facing don't occur all the time. It just seems to be a software problem. I bought the game form Walmart with the addons, so I would think it would be already pretty well patched.

Regarding your problem, I don't know how many case fans you are running, but I would have some, pulling air in and the others working on exhaust. In my case, I have four case fans, two on exhaust and the other two bringing in cool air. All my fans are 120 mm now vs. 80 mm which was popular 10 years ago. I don't know which way the CPU fan is blowing, but depending on the pitch of the blades, on mine it looks like the fan is blowing air on the heat sink, which doesn't make sense to me. It would make sense to suck air off the heat sink and have the power supply fan and case fans suck out the heat form the case.

^ To be honest I think alot of those bugs are just problems with the gamebryo engine, on which the game is based on.

I don't have a heat problem. Granted, I have a pretty awesom PC, Intel quad core, 4 Gig RAM with an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 card with 2 fans. My whole system has 8 fans altogether. I did experience a shutoff problem when I first built the PC. Stalker was shutting me down all the time, but the power supply was shutting down. I replaced it with an 850 Watt power supply, and it never shut down again. Stalker grabs lots of resources so since the PC never shuts down now with that game, I would largely rule out the PC being the problem. When I ran Stalker, my processor core would be routinely running at 175 degrees F. The problems I am facing don't occur all the time. It just seems to be a software problem. I bought the game form Walmart with the addons, so I would think it would be already pretty well patched.

Regarding your problem, I don't know how many case fans you are running, but I would have some, pulling air in and the others working on exhaust. In my case, I have four case fans, two on exhaust and the other two bringing in cool air. All my fans are 120 mm now vs. 80 mm which was popular 10 years ago. I don't know which way the CPU fan is blowing, but depending on the pitch of the blades, on mine it looks like the fan is blowing air on the heat sink, which doesn't make sense to me. It would make sense to suck air off the heat sink and have the power supply fan and case fans suck out the heat form the case.

My vid card fan wasn't getting enough flow, even with the case having multiple air ports.
The design of the i7 heat sinks and fan is stupid as hell, on top of that.
Removing the case side solved all that mostly.

I need to get a new heat sink and fan set, but for now this has solved the problem.

You don't have to leave the radio on just watch out for special radio updates.

The best I have found to keep the game from crashing is by removing the case on on your PC, if you're playing on that.
My video card was getting over heated playing any Fallout.

In my previous computer build I used to have my case wide open and a house fan blowing into it.. that finally nipped the overheating bug for good. Fortunately with the latest build it is a non issue.

In my previous computer build I used to have my case wide open and a house fan blowing into it.. that finally nipped the overheating bug for good. Fortunately with the latest build it is a non issue.

It's been a perpetual problem with my last 3 pc's, I get lazy about installing more fans. :?

What I usually do is buy a stock pc with all the base goodies, like a nice processor and a good mobo, then upgrade the rest.

It's been a perpetual problem with my last 3 pc's, I get lazy about installing more fans. :?

What I usually do is buy a stock pc with all the base goodies, like a nice processor and a good mobo, then upgrade the rest.

You may want to look at getting a better thermal compound (like arctic silver) and applying that between the CPU and heat sink instead of the stock crap they use - it can potentially make a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom