• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fallout: New Vegas

Is Fallout New Vegas stand alone or do you have to have Fallout 3 to play it?

Is Fallout New Vegas stand alone or do you have to have Fallout 3 to play it?

It's stand alone. Just taking a break from it.

Fantastic game. It's a little buggy, but they fixed most of the problems with Fallout 3, already a great game. My one major complaint is that, since the bombs didn't fall in the Mojave Wasteland, the world doesn't seem as on edge as the Capital Wasteland. In the last game when you first leave the vault in that game, and the view of the capital wasteland first comes into view, I was like, wow. In New Vegas, it seems to start out a bit slower; it also changes little from the last game, but don't get me wrong, great game.

Yeah, I'm the opposite. The story line, the combat, the choices that effect the world, and the ability to transfer your character over from ME1 make ME2 the best game I've ever played. Just topping out Fallout 3.

I don't think there's a room for comparison between the Mass Effect series and the Fallout 3 game.
While both come from the same genre, Mass Effect is more of a plot based FPS-RPG while Fallout 3 is an open-world FPS-RPG.
There's more room for comparison between the Splinter Cell series and the Hitman series than there is between these two games.

Anyway, I'm going to buy New Vegas tomorrow, I've heard good things about it from a friend of mine, even though it seems to be a copy of the fallout 3 game with a different plot.

Not the game I was expecting, it's kinda like a copy of fallout 3 with way more bugs and glitches (and I'm not one to usually be annoyed by such), in a Vegas theme.
The story is also a bit more "off" and confusing.
Maybe it'd get better later on.

Last edited:
Not the game I was expecting, it's kinda like a copy of fallout 3 with way more bugs and glitches (and I'm not one to usually be annoyed by such), in a Vegas theme.
The story is also a bit more "off" and confusing.
Maybe it'd get better later on.

Of course, is being a copy of Fallout 3 really a bad thing? And thankfully I haven't encountered any of the bugs people have been complaining about, aside from some slight frame rate dropping. Maybe it's because I'm on a console? And yeah I would agree about the story, I'm a few hours in, and I'm kind of confused by the main story. Hopefully things will become clearer when I get to Vegas.

Last edited:
Of course, is being a copy of Fallout 3 really a bad thing?

No, but when it is a copy of the same game its stressfulness depends entirely on the plot, and it doesn't seem like the plot is fitting the standards set forth by fallout 3, hence disappointment.

And thankfully I haven't encountered any of the bugs people have been complaining about, aside from some slight frame rate dropping. Maybe it's because I'm on a console? And yeah I would agree about the story, I'm a few hours in, and I'm kind of confused by the main story. Hopefully things will become clearer when I get to Vegas.

I get craploads of glitches in the graphics, like when you move your character and the world tears or teleports to fit your camera view instead of moving with you. It's not an FPS problem as there is no rate dropping for the character, only a glitch for the background. My FPS checker points at 150-220 FPS. They should be able to fix it with a small patch though.

Are the Fallout games connected with the Steam platform? I have a satellite connection and am limited to 250 Mbyte download per day. If I want to download more Gibabytes, I have to get up at 2:00 AM and get on line. I get unlimited downloads from 2-7 AM. If I go over, I get penalized by a connection slower than dialup. I have been punished often, but the satellite is the only thing that is available where I live. Steam has put me in the red more than once, especially when I was downloading the upgrades for the Left 4 Dead series and Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2.

You can buy it off of steam, so I assume it is connected to it.

And I feel you on the satellite internet thing, the byte limit is such a rip off. Though may I ask, how are you playing Left 4 Dead over a satellite connection?

Are the Fallout games connected with the Steam platform? I have a satellite connection and am limited to 250 Mbyte download per day. If I want to download more Gibabytes, I have to get up at 2:00 AM and get on line. I get unlimited downloads from 2-7 AM. If I go over, I get penalized by a connection slower than dialup. I have been punished often, but the satellite is the only thing that is available where I live. Steam has put me in the red more than once, especially when I was downloading the upgrades for the Left 4 Dead series and Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2.

There is a crack available to by pass steam.
Very simple to use.

You can buy it off of steam, so I assume it is connected to it.

And I feel you on the satellite internet thing, the byte limit is such a rip off. Though may I ask, how are you playing Left 4 Dead over a satellite connection?

I play Left 4 Dead offline just against the computer. Now, I have played a few quick games online and haven't had a problem. I just don't make a habit of playing too long. I also can't watch too many You Tube videos, either, or my download limit will be reached. I especially have to be wary of any Microsoft downloads.

Well, let me go ahead and answer my question about Steam and Fallout. I just purchased the game today, and I have installed it. You do not have to have the Steam platform to run the game. Yes, you can obtain the game through Steam and even the Stalker series games, but it is possible to play the Stalker series as well as Fallout without Steam. With that said, I am going through my baby steps, found the "Special" book, read it, closed it, but I am stuck. I can't get rid of the book. I am wondering if I have a glitch.

Well, let me go ahead and answer my question about Steam and Fallout. I just purchased the game today, and I have installed it. You do not have to have the Steam platform to run the game. Yes, you can obtain the game through Steam and even the Stalker series games, but it is possible to play the Stalker series as well as Fallout without Steam. With that said, I am going through my baby steps, found the "Special" book, read it, closed it, but I am stuck. I can't get rid of the book. I am wondering if I have a glitch.

Check here and see if they mention your problem: Blog:News - The Vault, the Fallout wiki - Fallout: New Vegas and more

I like it so far, it does seem more like a Fallout 3 expansion than a whole new game.
Still fun though.

*Possible spoiler alert*

Good things.

You can get 2 companions.
1 person and 1 animal/robot.
Bonus is that so far, they don't die but merely become unconscious.

New weapons and weapon add ons.
Very nice and I like the new additions.

More area specific monsters, plus old monsters from the original games.
New monsters to, but one seems to be super annoying like cliff racers from Morrowind.

Crafting and reloading ammunition.
Haven't tried it yet but it is very nifty.

Purchasable perks.
That's all I'm gonna say. :ssst:

Bad things.

One of the weapon dealers has all the energy weapons in the game lining their shelves but when you go to buy one, they have a limited selection.
Stupid as crap.

Everything is expensive as hell, in its best condition, I mean everything.

Going from sneak mode to regular standing can be delayed and can cause you to accidentally pick pocket someone, that can be bad if they are a friendly.

Last edited:
There seems to be a problem with the side-quests, too. Some of them just don't begin.
I understand that they have fixed it with the new patch though, I haven't downloaded it yet.

As soon as I thought it was a glitch, I discovered that it was me. You have to fill out the numbers in the book to determine what kind of adult you will be. Kind of complicated for a 1-year old I would say,even complicated for this old player. I think the learning curve is a little steep, getting the hang of Fallout 3. I especially don't care for the VATS system, but I have finally learned about this strange weapons aiming system since the enemies are a bit hard to kill, and I'm playing on the Normal level. I have been playing it off and on for the last 2 days, and have gotten much better. I even had to read thie book, which I seldom do on any game, but with Fallout, it's a must. I am afraid I have become involved way too much with the side missions and have forgotten all about the main mission. It plays a lot like the Russian Stalker series in that it is a radioactive environment and that there is a barter system and the many side missions. The only difference I can see is that in Stalker, many of the side missions are a must if you are going to finish the game. Otherwise, you have to go back and finish them, provided you haven't gone to the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant, and then it's take what you get, since there are about 7 different endings, and I have discovered 5 so far. In any event, thank you all for cluing me in on Fallout. It's very addictive and like an exciting novel, hard to put down.

Last edited:
As soon as I thought it was a glitch, I discovered that it was me. You have to fill out the numbers in the book to determine what kind of adult you will be. Kind of complicated for a 1-year old I would say,even complicated for this old player. I think the learning curve is a little steep, getting the hang of Fallout 3. I especially don't care for the VATS system, but I have finally learned about this strange weapons aiming system since the enemies are a bit hard to kill, and I'm playing on the Normal level. I have been playing it off and on for the last 2 days, and have gotten much better. I even had to read thie book, which I seldom do on any game, but with Fallout, it's a must. I am afraid I have become involved way too much with the side missions and have forgotten all about the main mission. It plays a lot like the Russian Stalker series in that it is a radioactive environment and that there is a barter system and the many side missions. The only difference I can see is that in Stalker, many of the side missions are a must if you are going to finish the game. Otherwise, you have to go back and finish them, provided you haven't gone to the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant, and then it's take what you get, since there are about 7 different endings, and I have discovered 5 so far. In any event, thank you all for cluing me in on Fallout. It's very addictive and like an exciting novel, hard to put down.

The side missions are more fun to me.

Don't complete the main mission unless you want to end the game.
I hate it but for some reason they've continued the end of game last mission thing, which isn't true for the "Elder Scrolls" series.

It will probably stop when they introduce the DLC.

The side missions are more fun to me.

Don't complete the main mission unless you want to end the game.
I hate it but for some reason they've continued the end of game last mission thing, which isn't true for the "Elder Scrolls" series.

It will probably stop when they introduce the DLC.

I just finished the fire ant mission, and I must say that was a bear on the Normal level. I would have hated to try it on the hardest level. You don't find many health packs or much ammo in this game. In the fire ant side mission, I was down to the bolt action hunting rifle and the sawed off shotgun. I had a nice sniper rifle and automatic shotgun for one side mission, but they both wore out, and it costs a fortune in bottle caps to fix them so I tossed them. At least the Stalker series made the side missions more lucrative in Russian rubles and you could get paid handsomely for whoever you killed or whatever mutant stronghold you cleaned out. I like both games, and as soon as I get this game finished, I might be interested in the New Vegas game.

I saved one game and then just for the heck of it, I gave the hooker at the bar 120 caps for a bed and for her company, but she got on the bed and did nothing. What a ripoff. I'm glad I had the previous saved game to which I could revert. Then again, I doubt if the game developers would want to put anything off color there anyway.

Last edited:
That mission is much easier just a little later in the game. Also, health and ammo is a real pain, until all of a sudden it isn't. You reach a point where income starts to exceed outgo without really noticing it until you are carrying around way too much ammo and stimpacks.

I just finished the fire ant mission, and I must say that was a bear on the Normal level. I would have hated to try it on the hardest level. You don't find many health packs or much ammo in this game. In the fire ant side mission, I was down to the bolt action hunting rifle and the sawed off shotgun. I had a nice sniper rifle and automatic shotgun for one side mission, but they both wore out, and it costs a fortune in bottle caps to fix them so I tossed them. At least the Stalker series made the side missions more lucrative in Russian rubles and you could get paid handsomely for whoever you killed or whatever mutant stronghold you cleaned out. I like both games, and as soon as I get this game finished, I might be interested in the New Vegas game.

I saved one game and then just for the heck of it, I gave the hooker at the bar 120 caps for a bed and for her company, but she got on the bed and did nothing. What a ripoff. I'm glad I had the previous saved game to which I could revert. Then again, I doubt if the game developers would want to put anything off color there anyway.

Redress pretty much covered it.
Later, ammo and weapons becomes a null point.

In New Vegas, weapons are incredibly expensive to repair to full.

All I can say is thank God the new fallout is being directed by Feargus Urquhart again. Fallout 3 sucked big time. It totally lost the feel of the original series. Not to mention the ending was awful, and the endless chain of add-ons brought nothing interesting.

Compared to the genius of Fallout 1 and 2, Fallout 3 was an awful shambling mess. Plus, the new one has Michael Dorn. Michael Dorn people!

All I can say is thank God the new fallout is being directed by Feargus Urquhart again. Fallout 3 sucked big time. It totally lost the feel of the original series. Not to mention the ending was awful, and the endless chain of add-ons brought nothing interesting.

Compared to the genius of Fallout 1 and 2, Fallout 3 was an awful shambling mess. Plus, the new one has Michael Dorn. Michael Dorn people!

Fallout 3 is not really a Fallout game, it just caries the name. Fallout 1 and 2 where insanely good and entirely different games.

Back
Top Bottom