• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter, take it private

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Beautiful! Liberals better start quaking in their boots. :ROFLMAO:

Elon Musk wants to transform Twitter into what it was originally intended to be, a platform for free speech across the globe. Something tells me there will be a lot of people who aren't too keen on the "free speech" idea.

Go man go!

One of the world's richest men delivered a letter to the company with a proposal to acquire all outstanding shares of Twitter for $54.20 each, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission published Thursday.​
The letter, delivered Wednesday, amounts to an offer to take Twitter private, a move that would give Musk greater control of the company. The offer values Twitter at more than $40 billion.​
"I invested in Twitter as I believe in its potential to be the platform for free speech around the globe, and I believe free speech is a societal imperative for a functioning democracy," Musk wrote in a letter to Bret Taylor, chairman of Twitter's board of directors, that was included in the SEC filing.​

I am a - quakin'! Wait. Why am I quakin', again?

Can't wait to see that "platform for free speech around the globe" terms of service. 🤣 Think they will pull a Trump and ban anyone who dares mock the king on that "free speech" platform?

He wants to transform it into a global platform for free speech, so you're damned right they're quaking in their boots.

Why would that make liberals shake in their boots?

Can't wait to see that "platform for free speech around the globe" terms of service. 🤣 Think they will pull a Trump and ban anyone who dares mock the king on that "free speech" platform?

That was clearly not his announced intention, but that possibility already exists under current management.

LMAO... Are you under the impression there is shortage of platforms that "liberals" could jump too in a heartbeat?

Because they fear that a free speech policy may allow ‘conservatives’ to share their opinions (on what has become the public square) as well.
That's bull.......sorry. Conservatives can share their opinions on anything they wish but when it approaches calls for violence and illegal activities that crosses a line of responsible behaviour. I honestly don't think some conservatives even understand what the 1st is all abotu.

I think conservatives here should violate the terms of service just to see what happens.

No, the right has confused freedom of speech with speech without consequences.

There are still consequences for any criminal speech or for the actual speaker (but not the platform, thanks to Section 230) to be held civilly liable.

A sincerely hope Musk is successful changing Twitter, however he gets it done. Twitter, like any private platform, has the right to implement a politically biased form of censorship, but we'd all be better off if it didn't. And FWIW, I think Twitter shareholders would be better off, too. One need only look at Disney's current PR problems to see the dangers of a business not sticking to its knitting and instead engaging in the political culture wars.

Back
Top Bottom