• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter, take it private

That's bull.......sorry. Conservatives can share their opinions on anything they wish but when it approaches calls for violence and illegal activities that crosses a line of responsible behaviour. I honestly don't think some conservatives even understand what the 1st is all abotu.

See post #18.

A sincerely hope Musk is successful changing Twitter, however he gets it done. Twitter, like any private platform, has the right to implement a politically biased form of censorship, but we'd all be better off if it didn't. And FWIW, I think Twitter shareholders would be better off, too. One need only look at Disney's current PR problems to see the dangers of a business not sticking to its knitting and instead engaging in the political culture wars.

Make it more like TruthSocial/Parler/Gettr? How successful are those platforms? Are advertisers flocking to have their ads placed next to a racist rant?

No, the right has confused freedom of speech with speech without consequences.
We've confused NOTHING.

You can live in that fantasy world as long as you like, but the bottom line is, the left is no longer about free speech because it contradicts the entire woke ideology.

Make it more like TruthSocial/Parler/Gettr? How successful are those platforms? Are advertisers flocking to have their ads placed next to a racist rant?
I'd settle for a platform that banned hate speech and violent rhetoric yet was committed to political neutrality.

Again, how's Disney's brand doing right now?

We've confused NOTHING.

You can live in that fantasy world as long as you like, but the bottom line is, the left is no longer about free speech because it contradicts the entire woke ideology.

So you cool with a 1st grade teacher going into explicit detail about her sex life and her moonlighting as a stripper?

Or would you agree, there are limits to "free" speech?

Bet he will open Twitter to President Trump. Oh my what upset that would cause! 😁

I would LOVE to have Trump back on twitter... He provided endless streams of stupidity to mock and laugh at...

That's bull.......sorry. Conservatives can share their opinions on anything they wish but when it approaches calls for violence and illegal activities that crosses a line of responsible behaviour. I honestly don't think some conservatives even understand what the 1st is all abotu.
Canada doesn't know anything about free speech, so why are you lecturing us?

Bet he will open Twitter to President Trump. Oh my what upset that would cause! 😁
And there you have it. An example of why the far right wants to own Twitter so they can put the one person they love, who violated the terms of service, back on the platform.

Have you said anything about the people that were banned here?

Because the honeymoon would be over.
And that "honeymoon" is? I seriously do not know where you're going with this. Please clarify. What "honeymoon" have we all been on?

Good then it will all come rushing back just who he is and how he acts!!!! Best think for Dems is to have Trump back in the spotlight.

It appears that the single issue that you guys have with Twitter is that they banned someone you're in love with for violating their terms of service. Do an experiment and see how that works here.
A post so full of bull crap it's stinking up the place. They banned Trump because they did not like his poltics! They banned political speech.

I have my doubts on Musk pulling this off, but it would sure be entertaining if he does. The exodus from the platform would be historic.

I'd settle for a platform that banned hate speech and violent rhetoric yet was committed to political neutrality.

Again, how's Disney's brand doing right now?

LOL... Perhaps you should look someplace other than OAN/Newsmax... Disney is doing very well..

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 7.21.56 AM.png

Actually, this makes a lot of sense from a business standpoint. It's similar to Jeff Bezos taking over the Washington Post, except it's a different, more direct and personal - and I'd argue, more powerful - kind of medium. It's actually a brilliant ploy, and one of the few times I don't think Musk is just attention whoring.

The downside is that he's now going to find himself in political controversies. People won't view him as just a media and tech mogul, but someone with editorial exercise over political discourse. He will find himself in impossible situations, some of which could injure his brand's reputation regardless of which side of a debate he comes down on. I imagine Musk, for example, involved in the aftermath of a Charlottesville type controversy and having a prominent politician tweet something to the effect of "Some of those cross burners and torch bearers were fine young American Christian men." Sadly he'd be pulled in both directions.

So you cool with a 1st grade teacher going into explicit detail about her sex life and her moonlighting as a stripper?

Or would you agree, there are limits to "free" speech?
You seem to be confused about what free speech is... What it is not is a license to indoctrinate children.

A sincerely hope Musk is successful changing Twitter, however he gets it done. Twitter, like any private platform, has the right to implement a politically biased form of censorship, but we'd all be better off if it didn't. And FWIW, I think Twitter shareholders would be better off, too. One need only look at Disney's current PR problems to see the dangers of a business not sticking to its knitting and instead engaging in the political culture wars.

There would be no more Twitter shareholders - Twitter would become 100% private (owned entirely by Elon Musk).

Back
Top Bottom