• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk is right about Apple

Elon is either out of touch or does not understand the last 20 years of tech. Both Apple and Google take a cut from things bought through their store. You don't have to sell subs through them..open up your own payment system on your own website like most larger companies do.

Perhaps.

Another possibility is that he's playing games with the recreational outrage enthusiasts like Trumpco et al do

though none of these suggestions are mutually exclusive.
Elon could be out of touch, fail to understand the last twenty years of tech, and be playing with the minds of the recreational outrage enthusiasts like Trumpco et al do

44 billion to unban the orange precious, and Tweety couldn't even give one single shitcrumb of gratitude. Now Musk backs his opponent, but all of those people are still fired right before Christmas. Hooray for hyper-rich levels of money to play bathtub boat armada war with. Sploosh, sploosh! I sinked you, Twitster!

So a company like Spotify, for example, should just concede 30% of its profits to Apple?

What other options do they have?

Ask me why I don't sell my Leon Russell DVD on Amazon.
I've been invited to several times, but I refuse.

and "whoossssshhh' capitalism is out of style again.

Capitalism has been out of style since Biden took office. Do you see who is running the FTC?
Apple has been charging the 30% since 2008.

Why don't you and Elon do something about it? Tell Apple to **** off. Don't use their products.
Heck, I saw what they were about 15 years ago and don't support them in any way.
My last apple product was a Mac g4 dual processor, in 2004. Won't buy another apple product again.

Apple charges a 30% Apple Tax for in-app purchases yet the ftc is doing nothing about it. They are more worried about blocking Facebook from buying a start up vr app, Amazon from buying irobot and Ticketmaster charging too much for Taylor Swift tickets.

Apple has created such an oppressive environment for businesses yet nothing is done about it. I mean 30%? Really.

Shouldn't the ftc allow a third party competitor who charges like a flat 3% fee or some sort of annual amount?
I don't care for any corporate gouging...

I did not like it when Microsoft went to 360 Subscription.. I keep an Old XP... for basic software usage. Even though my daily use computers is a far newer operating system.
Whether its Apple or Tesla... I don't own either.. and I see no need to pay the high cost of Apple Products. The last one I had was an IPod...they became pretty much obselete, and now Any Digital Smart Phone plays music and much more. I refuse to pay $1000+ for a Cell Phone, only for them come out 9 months or less later, and say they have a new more costly model.
As to Tesla, Musk didn't say anything about his " Cost for Digital Update for his car" that has a very high cost.

Considering the starting prices of Tesla's current lineup in the US, the $36,000 figure is quite impressive. While the entry-level Model 3, Tesla's least expensive vehicle, starts at $44,990, prices rise pretty quickly after that. In fact, no other new Tesla vehicle sold today has a starting price under $50,000. The Model Y starts at around $60,000, and the refreshed Model S and X start at $95,000 and $105,000, respectively.
end quote

Tesla FSD price increases

Given this apparent increase in abilities, Tesla has decided it’s time to increase prices again on the software. Prices will go up to $15K on September 5, though the “old” price of $12K will be honored for orders made before but delivered after September 5. This price hike will only happen in North America – other regions are “safe” with the old price for now, because those regions tend to get Autopilot updates later than North America.

We don’t know yet if there will be any change to Tesla’s FSD subscription service. That service currently costs $199/month, and didn’t go up in price the last time Tesla hiked FSD prices. But if you want to subscribe with a car bought between late 2016 and mid 2019, Tesla will charge you $1,000 for hardware you already bought.
end quote

Last edited:
Apple charges a 30% Apple Tax for in-app purchases yet the ftc is doing nothing about it. They are more worried about blocking Facebook from buying a start up vr app, Amazon from buying irobot and Ticketmaster charging too much for Taylor Swift tickets.

Apple has created such an oppressive environment for businesses yet nothing is done about it. I mean 30%? Really.

Shouldn't the ftc allow a third party competitor who charges like a flat 3% fee or some sort of annual amount?
I will stay with Apple and Taylor Swift. YOU shouldn't get near either one = problem solved.

Apple doesn't choose (as is their right) to advertise on a medium which platforms Nazis and white supremacists. Sounds reasonable.

What's wrong with 30%. How much do retailers usually mark up the products they sell?

I have avoided this tax by never, ever using apple products or services.

Perhaps.

Another possibility is that he's playing games with the recreational outrage enthusiasts like Trumpco et al do

though none of these suggestions are mutually exclusive.
Elon could be out of touch, fail to understand the last twenty years of tech, and be playing with the minds of the recreational outrage enthusiasts like Trumpco et al do
Considering he never got any of the degrees he claims, and lies about things like the death of his own kid... Then I am more inclined to go "he is just ignorant of how things work" or even just dumb.

I'll try once, I'm an optimist!

They are paying for access to their private system and distribution network, and that comes at a premium because they built and control it. There is nothing more American than that.

If you or anyone else can do better, you're welcome to, and in fact Apple has robust competition in plenty of areas.

I would never buy an Apple iPhone and support those greedy ****s with their closed source software.

I would never buy an Apple iPhone and support those greedy ****s with their closed source software.
Do you know what other entities have a similar setup that you use?

Considering he never got any of the degrees he claims, and lies about things like the death of his own kid... Then I am more inclined to go "he is just ignorant of how things work" or even just dumb.

Imho, the fact that Musk lies about stupid things doesn't make it less likely that Musk is engaging in other Trump-like behavior.

And like I said before, these three possibilities could exist together simultaneously

I agree. The 30% tax needs to go away and there need to be significant financial penalties on Apple's execs for the fact that it ever existed.

I believe they need to give up 60% of their salaries for the next 5 years.

So you support the free market, yet the FTC is blocking EVERY attempted acquisition from Meta, Amazon, and even Microsoft acquiring Activision.

How is that promoting free market principles?
You think antitrust law is ANTI free market? Lol

I agree. The 30% tax needs to go away and there need to be significant financial penalties on Apple's execs for the fact that it ever existed.

I believe they need to give up 60% of their salaries for the next 5 years.
Why? You don't have to use apples system to do your subscriptions. Very few do that now days.

Back
Top Bottom