• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats, you are creating room for Donald Trump

Partisanship is blind, especially when it comes to the left. Every time their policies fail they believe it is because they didn't go far enough.
Great point. I've never seem a group of folks willing to double-down on failure quite like the progressive left.

What's your definition of 'barely lost'? He lost the popular vote in 2016.. And even though he said he won the EC in 2016 by a 'landslide' the EC in 2020 was about the same...
2016 and 2020 were both close elections, though '16 was certainly closer. In either case it would have taken relatively few votes to change in a couple of states for a different result.

The point, however, is not to quibble over what "close" means. It's to assess whether Trump has any chance in 2024. My fear is that the Democrats are creating one by pandering to their far left wing.

2016 and 2020 were both close elections, though '16 was certainly closer. In either case it would have taken relatively few votes to change in a couple of states for a different result.

The point, however, is not to quibble over what "close" means. It's to assess whether Trump has any chance in 2024. My fear is that the Democrats are creating one by pandering to their far left wing.
Yeah.. But when people like Romney and Chaney aren't far enough right or Conservative enough for the current Republican Party, then please don't preach to me about the pandering of the left...

Of the 2 parties the Republicans pander to their far, Far, right a hell of a lot more than the Democrats pander to anyone..

My point stands. It's a mistake to believe Trump cannot win in 2024 if the public's mood has turned against the Democrats.
Thank you, Captain Obvious ;)

The problem is your assumption that the public will turn against Democrats based on the items you cite. The only one that is a real potential vulnerability is crime. Almost everything else the Democrats are doing has broad public support.

However, history suggests that rises in crime rates are sufficient to oust a president. For example, rapidly rising crime didn't get Reagan booted from office in 1984; it wasn't what turned Ford or Carter into one-term presidents.

Normally, I'd say that if crime rates fall in a year or two, then the issue will evaporate. Unfortunately, conservatives are completely disconnected from reality, meaning they'll keep screaming about crime no matter what, as long as they think it will get them votes.

Here's a thought for our friends on the left. Have you ever stopped to consider that the irrational positions many of your leaders hold:
  • That the current spike in violent crime has nothing to do with the social justice movement's anti-law-enforcement message.
  • That basic voter identification requirements and voting deadlines are the new Jim Crow.
  • That higher taxes on goods and services aren't going to translate into higher prices for those least equipped to pay more.
  • That teaching CRT is no more than teaching about racism.

... are going to create an opportunity for then candidate Donald Trump to craft a set of campaign messages that make sense and appeal to moderates?
Normally I would agree, however the lies he tells about the election 'trumps' everything. There is really nothing worse a leader of a nation run by elections can do.

The problem is your assumption that the public will turn against Democrats based on the items you cite. The only one that is a real potential vulnerability is crime. Almost everything else the Democrats are doing has broad public support.
Don't think you've seen the latest polling on voter IDs.

Actually, Trump is not far right. Most of his efforts were more toward the middle, except for immigration. His delivery was more conservative, but his policies were not. Most of the US got caught up in his personality, whether right or wrong, and didn't guage him on his policies. Unfortunately, the US voter has lost sight of the fact that both the democratic and republican parties have sold out the country and are only in it for themselves. Washington is slowly sinking into the swamp from whence it came.

Actually, Trump is not far right. Most of his efforts were more toward the middle, except for immigration. His delivery was more conservative, but his policies were not. Most of the US got caught up in his personality, whether right or wrong, and didn't guage him on his policies. Unfortunately, the US voter has lost sight of the fact that both the democratic and republican parties have sold out the country and are only in it for themselves. Washington is slowly sinking into the swamp from whence it came.
He's sort of a centrist with no moral center.

Probably, I'm not convinced of her competence at the highest office. I mean, pretty much anything was better than Trump, but I'd rather we get someone good rather than "slightly better than the other guy".

Biden isn't going to be strong. Sure, he could beat Trump, but the Dems left the door wide open for 2024 with that one. If they go with anyone other than Trump, they can stand a good chance of beating Biden.
A lot depends on what happens with Trump's decision to run and then his ability to win the nomination. But, if Trump ends up out of the presidential equation, I think the Dems have put themselves in a bit of a 2024 bind with either Biden or Harris. Neither will be strong candidates.

A lot depends on what happens with Trump's decision to run and then his ability to win the nomination. But, if Trump ends up out of the presidential equation, I think the Dems have put themselves in a bit of a 2024 bind with either Biden or Harris. Neither will be strong candidates.
Biden already beat Trump once, I think he can do so again so long as the GOP doesn't monkey too hard with voting access.

Who do the Republicans have honestly? DeSantis? He's Trump, but younger and with a higher IQ. And without Trump's endorsement or Trump campaigning for him, he has ZERO chance at winning the GOP nomination otherwise. Christ, look at the CPAC poll results. It's either Trump, or a Trump clone in 2024. That's what the GOP voter base wants.
I think you underestimate the strength DeSantis already has among Republican voters. We already love the guy and Trump certainly hasn't endorsed him yet. DeSantis is doing a fine job of forging his own path. While I agree Trump running would present a difficult challenge for DeSantis, I don't think there is a single other potential candidate who could touch DeSantis. A lot can happen between now and then, but DeSantis is very popular among Republicans at present.

What's a moderate in Trump's GOP? Trump wants to primary them all, and he may be successful.
I think those with Trump endorsements in 2022 will fare VERY well.

Agreed.
I think Trump is far from far right. His policies were very solid, almost old fashioned, conservative views. Everyone got caught up in his personality but his policies were great, IMO.

I don't want Donald Trump as President again, but only a fool would think a man who has won one Presidential election and barely lost another could not win again.
lol barely lost? By trumps own measure, he lost by a landslide.

Myself, I don't see another Trump campaign as very likely. He really shat the bed on 1/6, alienating\embarrassing many of his non-crazy supporters.

Also, he is going to be dragged through the courts, and people who aren't fans of tax cheats and nepotism aren't going to be fans of Trump's for much longer.

Also also, 74yo Trump isn't likely to perform much better than 70yo Trump on the campaign trail, whether he knows it or not.

Also the Third, the guy's got no platform to get his message out. That doesn't matter much though, because his message hasn't changed since November, and that's the larger problem.

Biden already beat Trump once, I think he can do so again so long as the GOP doesn't monkey too hard with voting access.
I was discussing the scenario of Trump being out of the equation. For now, that would look like a DeSantis scenario. I think either Biden or Harris would have an extremely difficult time against DeSantis (or many other non-Trump possibilities if DeSantis falls out of favor).
If Trump runs, I don't have a good feel for how that will go. He has so many against him but I think the Dems are just looking terrible on a heck of a lot of fronts so I wouldn't count out an anti-Dem election, sort or like there was an anti-Trump election. But, if we have both an anti-Dem and anti-Trump election at the same time - I don't think I'd place money on either side.
I am growing quite increasingly optimistic, though, about a potentially good 2022 election for the GOP and I think Trump will have his influence all over that election.

I was discussing the scenario of Trump being out of the equation. For now, that would look like a DeSantis scenario. I think either Biden or Harris would have an extremely difficult time against DeSantis (or many other non-Trump possibilities if DeSantis falls out of favor).
If Trump runs, I don't have a good feel for how that will go. He has so many against him but I think the Dems are just looking terrible on a heck of a lot of fronts so I wouldn't count out an anti-Dem election, sort or like there was an anti-Trump election. But, if we have both an anti-Dem and anti-Trump election at the same time - I don't think I'd place money on either side.
I am growing quite increasingly optimistic, though, about a potentially good 2022 election for the GOP and I think Trump will have his influence all over that election.
Biden is looking better than Trump though. That's why he lost the first time. I don't think Biden is particularly strong, so if the GOP goes with someone not Trump, who can at least behave like an adult, then it's quite possible for Biden to lose in 2024.

My point stands. It's a mistake to believe Trump cannot win in 2024 if the public's mood has turned against the Democrats.
Yep. The Dems are really showing their true colors! While they may think voters are liking those colors, I don't see it that way. I think they are really messing up.

The fatter he gets the more room he will need........

I think you underestimate the strength DeSantis already has among Republican voters. We already love the guy and Trump certainly hasn't endorsed him yet. DeSantis is doing a fine job of forging his own path. While I agree Trump running would present a difficult challenge for DeSantis, I don't think there is a single other potential candidate who could touch DeSantis. A lot can happen between now and then, but DeSantis is very popular among Republicans at present.

LOL, Trump DID endorse him, in 2018. And the only reason why you love him is because DeSantis has kissed Trumps ass since the very beginning. He's forged nothing. Everything DeSantis has done and said is entirely to appease Trump's radical followers.

I think those with Trump endorsements in 2022 will fare VERY well.

Maybe, Maybe not. They'll fare well against other Republicans, but since everything Trump touches, dies, the more Trump is involved with GOP politics, the better for the Democrats.

I blame the MSM. If the MSM had been covering the democrats half as toughly as they have been covering the republicans, the democratic party wouldn't be so embarrassing. Our nation can't survive without a healthy MSM. Right now, our MSM is so partisan that it is NOT healthy...
Whining about MSM conspiracies isn't helping your cause

They won, or maybe you missed it

Back
Top Bottom