• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

definition of marriage

Irrelevant to this subject.

You certainly have no hesitation when it comes to completely changing the definition of the word "irrelevant", now, do you?

"marriage" is a word that defines our very society and can't be compared to the word "gay".

Right, society is built upon the family unit, and that family unit will still be there even if gays can get married. Gays make up around 3% of the population, that means 97% of the population will still be available to build your society on. Redefining marriage doesn't change heterosexual marriage.

See, I don't think word definitions are a big deal (I used to, but then I realised I'd never get "-phobia" to not mean hatred.:2mad:) It's the purpose of the institution of marriage that I believe is the important part, and marriage is for raising a family. Gays can raise a family, therefore they fulfill the purpose of marriage, rather than the dictionary definition.

An incestuous brother and sister can raise a family, too. So can a soccer team. Hillary says that a village can raise a family. Marriage isn't for the purpose of legal custody. Legal custody is for the purpose of legal custody. The fact that someone can raise a child doesn't make their situation "marriage".

This change could be, it chips away at the very foundation of our country.

That has nothing to do with your approved, traditional definition. Your premise is failing, badly.

I am passing no judgment on a new definition being good or bad, just saying it is a huge deal not to be taken lightly.
Is it a development to fear and discourage? Surely the totality of America can be encompassed by more than merely its conjugal format. If not, then that's a sad indictment.

Right, society is built upon the family unit, and that family unit will still be there even if gays can get married. Gays make up around 3% of the population, that means 97% of the population will still be available to build your society on. Redefining marriage doesn't change heterosexual marriage.

Gays should get legal rights, partnership rights but being married has always been a union of a man and a woman and if that changes marriage changes for everybody.

Change is bad.

Ave! :2wave:

I don't know that I would want to follow you on that. I prefer supermarkets to jungles for food.

But change the fundamentals of a complex model and very unexpected thing can happen. There have been a number of high cultures that found that out the hard way. I will have to look and see; do you know of any socioeconomic impact studies done on this?

Gays should get legal rights, partnership rights but being married has always been a union of a man and a woman and if that changes marriage changes for everybody.

No it has not. Learn history.

Is it a development to fear and discourage? Surely the totality of America can be encompassed by more than merely its conjugal format. If not, then that's a sad indictment.

Our American society is based on many constant values, a work ethic, home ownership and marriage being high on the list. Change any of these and you change America.

An incestuous brother and sister can raise a family, too. So can a soccer team. Hillary says that a village can raise a family. Marriage isn't for the purpose of legal custody. Legal custody is for the purpose of legal custody. The fact that someone can raise a child doesn't make their situation "marriage".

Then what is the purpose of marriage that gays cannot fulfill? You cannot claim marriage must be a man and woman because marriage must be a man and woman, you must provide purpose for marriage to be so. Otherwise we're back at dictionary semantics, which isn't a particularly good argument.

How? What changes in a heterosexual marriage because two gay guys on the other side of the country got married?

If gays are allowed to get married they will change the very meaning of the word.

noun
noun: marriage; plural noun: marriages

the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

Some people like to say that when blacks and women got the vote it didn't change the meaning of the word and allowing gays to marry won't change the meaning of that word either but I can't find any history of the word "vote" being linked to a sex or race in any dictionary so their argument falls flat. Allowing gays to marry redefines the institution of marriage, the word "marriage" and redefines our society. It is a huge step, look before you leap.

vote

/vōt/

noun

noun: vote; plural noun: votes

a formal indication of a choice between two or more candidates or courses of action, expressed typically through a ballot or a show of hands or by voice.

• That's OUR definition, seeing as how the English dictionary was a European contrivance.

Other countries define it differently.

This is interesting - lots of resources to go to for info on how other countries view it. Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ave! :2wave:

I don't know that I would want to follow you on that. I prefer supermarkets to jungles for food.

But change the fundamentals of a complex model and very unexpected thing can happen. There have been a number of high cultures that found that out the hard way. I will have to look and see; do you know of any socioeconomic impact studies done on this?
YO! :2wave:

I don't. Luckily, I was being sarcastic. I can tell you that Elvis runs a barber shop in Wisconsin, however.

Our American society is based on many constant values, a work ethic, home ownership and marriage being high on the list. Change any of these and you change America.
For the worse?

That's OUR definition, seeing as how the English dictionary was a European contrivance.

Other countries define it differently.

This is interesting - lots of resources to go to for info on how other countries view it. Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't care about other countries or other cultures, this issue is about America changing a law and thus a word that has defined the American culture since its inception.

Then what is the purpose of marriage that gays cannot fulfill? You cannot claim marriage must be a man and woman because marriage must be a man and woman, you must provide purpose for marriage to be so. Otherwise we're back at dictionary semantics, which isn't a particularly good argument.

If the state feels that the purpose of marriage is to sanction the union of a man and a woman, then homosexual pairings won't qualify. It's that simple. Since "we the people" have defined and created the institution of marriage, what is and is not marriage is also our definition.

I think we're doing things right. If "the people" of a state feel that it serves the state's interests to change the definition of marriage, then they do that. If not, then they don't.

That remains to be seen. as Biden famously said, "This is a big F***** deal".
It does remain to be seen. Personally, I don't anticipate the annihilation of America, following such a change, given that society is so much more than a wedding ceremony. Either way, we won't have to wait much longer to find out.

It does remain to be seen. Personally, I don't anticipate the annihilation of America, following such a change, given that society is so much more than a wedding ceremony. Either way, we won't have to wait much longer to find out.

Whatever the effect, it won't be Cataclysmic in nature and if it's deleterious, it will be slow and insidious. We won't know for a few generations. I suppose it's easier not to give a damn if you know the fallout won't happen in our lifetime. The national debt is proof of that.

Back
Top Bottom