• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Confederate flag: how do you feel?

3step

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
confederadabig.jpg

It's now been 150 years since the bloodiest war in the US has been ended and the meaning of this flag has been lost. But sometimes I see the image of the confederate flag used by the US citizens in the social networks and other Internet resources, on their t-shirts, caps... I have some mixed feelings. I hate any symbols of war and discrimination, but I feel sorry for the ignorant Americans. How do you feel when you see confederate flag anywhere?

confederadabig.jpg

It's now been 150 years since the bloodiest war in the US has been ended and the meaning of this flag has been lost. But sometimes I see the image of the confederate flag used by the US citizens in the social networks and other Internet resources, on their t-shirts, caps... I have some mixed feelings. I hate any symbols of war and discrimination, but I feel sorry for the ignorant Americans. How do you feel when you see confederate flag anywhere?

My thoughts generally go like this: "oh look, some one is celebrating being the losers!"

I am not a nice person tho...

i don't really think anything about it at all the flag.

i do think about this below, by thinking ....celebrating a killer!

Attachments

• cheguevara.jpg
    cheguevara.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 178
my thoughts usually run to

"there goes another hillbilly from the south.....probably a good ole boy"

most people i know dont take the flag as a negative connotation

and yes, i live south of the mason dixon line

I'm not a big fan of flying it on government buildings as it is basically a symbol of treason against the United States :afraid:

confederadabig.jpg

When I see the Confederate Flag what I see is another meaningless symbol that will drive the intolerant left bat **** crazy

I think of racists, southern drawls, then an orange clunker and Daisy Duke's shorts!

I'm not a big fan of flying it on government buildings as it is basically a symbol of treason against the United States :afraid:

it was not treason, the southern states were not trying to overthrow the u.s. federal government...they left the union by a vote conventions held by the states, except tenn....which was by direct vote of the people

Indifference.

How do you feel when you see confederate flag anywhere?

I do not feel much of anything when seeing it, other people though...

i don't really think anything about it at all the flag.

i do think about this below, by thinking ....celebrating a killer!

And yet when you see the Confederate flag you don't think of the fact that it celebrates slavery and treason. How hypocritical.

confederadabig.jpg

I think it's silly to display - and it means nothing. It just makes whoever's displaying it look foolish or childish, like idiots I used to know back in highschool who did dumb things because they thought it made them look cool like wearing combs in their hair or drawing the anarchy symbol on their hands and other dumb stuff like that.

Mostly I feel sad for the morons that feel the need to fly the confederate flag.

And yet when you see the Confederate flag you don't think of the fact that it celebrates slavery and treason. How hypocritical.

like you i don't wear my heart on my sleeve, i not much of an emotional type person, which lets everything brother me, and then complain about it.

this shows you have no knowledge...there was no treason involved, because the southern staters were not trying to overthrow the federal government....they left the union based on state conventions.....i feel sad for you.

it was not treason, the southern states were not trying to overthrow the u.s. federal government...they left the union by a vote conventions held by the states, except tenn....which was by direct vote of the people

Yep... over the issue of keeping other humans as property! AWESOME! :roll::shock:
Before anyone goes all... "it was about northern aggression.. and about states rights"... and all the other rot...
I refer you to the South Carolina's article of succession.
In the present case, that fact is established with certainty. We assert that fourteen of the States have deliberately refused, for years past, to fulfill their constitutional obligations, and we refer to their own Statutes for the proof.
The Constitution of the United States, in its fourth Article, provides as follows: "No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due."
This stipulation was so material to the compact, that without it that compact would not have been made. The greater number of the contracting parties held slaves, and they had previously evinced their estimate of the value of such a stipulation by making it a condition in the Ordinance for the government of the territory ceded by Virginia, which now composes the States north of the Ohio River.

The same article of the Constitution stipulates also for rendition by the several States of fugitives from justice from the other States.

The General Government, as the common agent, passed laws to carry into effect these stipulations of the States. For many years these laws were executed. But an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery, has led to a disregard of their obligations, and the laws of the General Government have ceased to effect the objects of the Constitution. The States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa, have enacted laws which either nullify the Acts of Congress or render useless any attempt to execute them. In many of these States the fugitive is discharged from service or labor claimed, and in none of them has the State Government complied with the stipulation made in the Constitution. The State of New Jersey, at an early day, passed a law in conformity with her constitutional obligation; but the current of anti-slavery feeling has led her more recently to enact laws which render inoperative the remedies provided by her own law and by the laws of Congress. In the State of New York even the right of transit for a slave has been denied by her tribunals; and the States of Ohio and Iowa have refused to surrender to justice fugitives charged with murder, and with inciting servile insurrection in the State of Virginia. Thus the constituted compact has been deliberately broken and disregarded by the non-slaveholding States, and the consequence follows that South Carolina is released from her obligation.
These ends it endeavored to accomplish by a Federal Government, in which each State was recognized as an equal, and had separate control over its own institutions. The right of property in slaves was recognized by giving to free persons distinct political rights, by giving them the right to represent, and burthening them with direct taxes for three-fifths of their slaves; by authorizing the importation of slaves for twenty years; and by stipulating for the rendition of fugitives from labor.
We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.

Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union

Yep... over the issue of keeping other humans as property! AWESOME! :roll::shock:
Before anyone goes all... "it was about northern aggression.. and about states rights"... and all the other rot...
I refer you to the South Carolina's article of succession.

Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union

if you had read correctly...its not treason...treason is a condition where a person or entity/group is giving aid to an enemy of the tate in time of war...this from the founders.

southerns state were not trying to overthrow the federal government but left the union based on the people of those states, by holding state conventions.

Ernst is actually right for a change. The southern states going to war in order to protect slavery wasn't treason. However, it's pretty treasonous for Americans now to support what was, at least in intent, a foreign government. They might not have been traitors, but if you're flying a confederate flag now, you kinda are.

Ernst is actually right for a change. The southern states going to war in order to protect slavery wasn't treason. However, it's pretty treasonous for Americans now to support what was, at least in intent, a foreign government. They might not have been traitors, but if you're flying a confederate flag now, you kinda are.

here is the way i look at it.....on the flag

if someone is excising his right to wear a flag on his shirt...i may not like it, however i do say "it is his right" ,i respect the right.... and move on.

if someone is excising his right to wear a flag on his shirt...some may not like it, and they voice their opinions about it vocally, and Act as if its unLawful, and its not right, so they do not respect the excersing of the right .......and just move on.

Last edited:
Don't really care, I think it's a bit absurd that it's so popular among southern state governments to fly the flag and celebrate it, but in general I only feel emotion when it's inevitably on a bumper sticker that includes some dumb ass ****.

My thoughts generally go like this: "oh look, some one is celebrating being the losers!"

I am not a nice person tho...

Is that also what you think when you see a cubs hat?

like you i don't wear my heart on my sleeve, i not much of an emotional type person, which lets everything brother me, and then complain about it.

this shows you have no knowledge...there was no treason involved, because the southern staters were not trying to overthrow the federal government....they left the union based on state conventions.....i feel sad for you.

Oh yes they were trying to overthrow the federal government. They weren't 'leaving the union', they weren't going anywhere. They were overthrowing the legal government and setting up another one.

If people flying it now are flying it for the same general reason(states rights/weak central govt) it was done in the 1860s how is it any different?

Back
Top Bottom