• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chipotle rethinking firing manager who refused to serve black customers over ‘dine and dash’ fears

I'm trying to figure out how you dine and dash at chipotle.
You go they a line pay for your food and take the tray to a table
Kind of a weird story.

The manager said they 'didn't have the money to pay last time.' From what was on the video, I thought she did a pretty good job of asking them to pay first, without flat accusing them of lying.

The scam at Chipolte is to claim you don't have money when you get to the register. "OOPS! I forgot my wallet! Can I pay you later?" A manager will usually let this go, as the option is to throw the food away. The article doesn't say... but my guess is the group here pulled this one too many times.

The manager said they 'didn't have the money to pay last time.' From what was on the video, I thought she did a pretty good job of asking them to pay first, without flat accusing them of lying.

The scam at Chipolte is to claim you don't have money when you get to the register. "OOPS! I forgot my wallet! Can I pay you later?" A manager will usually let this go, as the option is to throw the food away. The article doesn't say... but my guess is the group here pulled this one too many times.

Okay I've only been there maybe 2xs so i didnt understand. I thought they make the plate behind the counter kept the food back there until you paid. Never thought you could just say, forgot my wallet and be handed the food.
That actually sounds stupid. Its cafeteria style you pay you walk away you don't pay you don't get to walk away with the food.

Okay I've only been there maybe 2xs so i didnt understand. I thought they make the plate behind the counter kept the food back there until you paid. Never thought you could just say, forgot my wallet and be handed the food.
That actually sounds stupid. Its cafeteria style you pay you walk away you don't pay you don't get to walk away with the food.

The problem is that once the food is prepared it can't go back to the line. The simple solution is to set things up so the customer orders and pays BEFORE the food is prepared, like most fast food places work.

The problem is that once the food is prepared it can't go back to the line. The simple solution is to set things up so the customer orders and pays BEFORE the food is prepared, like most fast food places work.

I think the problem with that with places like Chipotle and Subway is often times the customer decides to add on other things as the meal is being put together. That probably happens 100 times more often than the customer not having the money. Cost benefit analysis probably shows paying after costs less money and time. The math of that may change if these types of scenarios keep happening, though.

Yeah. Probably should've called the cops the second time they came back, honestly. Maybe they were being slick about it. Or maybe she didn't recognize them until this time.

Police activity in the store in usually not beneficial/desired for business. Company policy may be to decline that option unless there has been an actual robbery.

In hindsight, the manager probably could/should have handled the situation differently. But (as noted on another thread) she would have no idea this was going to blow up into the viral event that happened.

Sympathy/empathy to the girl manager. She will handle similar events differently in the future.

I think the problem with that with places like Chipotle and Subway is often times the customer decides to add on other things as the meal is being put together. That probably happens 100 times more often than the customer not having the money. Cost benefit analysis probably shows paying after costs less money and time. The math of that may change if these types of scenarios keep happening, though.

I don't think those places charge extra for extra toppings so I don't see why it would be an issue. Just tell them at the order counter that you want "double meat" but otherwise the veggies and stuff cost next to nothing anyway.

eh wrongful termination suits don't get big money.
she might get like a 40k but that isn't going to help her any.

Not sure where you are concluding that $40,000 wouldn't "help her any"? Kind of a silly statement.

With that said, not expecting her to be suing the company. Sounds like they may be working things out.

Not any company that I've ever been to. Every company that I have ever been to 86'd anyone caught stealing from them.

Caught red handed, yes. As in, on camera. But what about coupon fraud? Quick changers? Receipt fraud? Gift card fraud?

Bottom line is this...if these guys were known thieves operating in her area, hitting her location...her boss should have been made aware.

Article Here.

This is a good example of when outrage culture backfires and hurts innocent people. This woman was 100% in the right in this situation. This asshole and his buddies go around doing this all the time, and had done this at this Chipotle multiple times. But when the manager doesn't put up with their **** anymore, he cries "racism" because he knows that'll get him attention. And it certainly did, because she got terminated within hours of him making a fuss about it. In an effort to try and prevent their reputation from being marred, they made a horribly rash decision. And now they're probably gonna end up hurting for it. I hope the manager gets her job back, or at the very least gets some kind of apology from Chipotle (money?).

That's what happens with a special rights mentality.

eh wrongful termination suits don't get big money.
she might get like a 40k but that isn't going to help her any.

The average Chipotle manager in that state earns about $46K/year, so $40K would definitely help someone in that income bracket.

Perfect. Thanks for posting.
I mentioned in the other thread that perhaps some of these situations might be staged to bring ?awareness?, and this confirms my suspicion.

Awareness of what?

She said they never have money, which suggests to me that they order food, then cant pay for it. The food then might end up in the garbage. It becomes a theft of service. If this is a pattern, the manager was fully in the right to ask for payment before the food is made.

Here is my (not so wild) speculation. They came into the restaurant as a group of 4 or 5. Then as they place their orders they request the meal "to go".

As the first 4 reach the cash register they each tell the cashier that the 5th guy is paying for everyone. When the fifth guy gets to the register they all dash.

(At least that is how i would do it....)

Here is my (not so wild) speculation. They came into the restaurant as a group of 4 or 5. Then as they place their orders they request the meal "to go".

As the first 4 reach the cash register they each tell the cashier that the 5th guy is paying for everyone. When the fifth guy gets to the register they all dash.

(At least that is how i would do it....)

Well good thinking...but that would not fly at the Chipotle's I have frequented either. Somebody somewhere is ignoring a SOP or a WI, one or the other.

Well good thinking...but that would not fly at the Chipotle's I have frequented either. Somebody somewhere is ignoring a SOP or a WI, one or the other.

Which part didn't you like...??

Most people are trustworthy to an extent. Obviously, this manager suspected this group of gaming the system, and tried to protect the company. The company proceeded to throw her under the bus.

Police activity in the store in usually not beneficial/desired for business. Company policy may be to decline that option unless there has been an actual robbery.

In hindsight, the manager probably could/should have handled the situation differently. But (as noted on another thread) she would have no idea this was going to blow up into the viral event that happened.

Sympathy/empathy to the girl manager. She will handle similar events differently in the future.

If you watch the video (at least what was recorded) she did handle it pretty well. Other than give away the food again, I'm not sure what she could have done differently.

The average Chipotle manager in that state earns about $46K/year, so $40K would definitely help someone in that income bracket.

Not if they no longer work there, but it seems that chipotle is walking itself back and fixing the issue.

Every false allegation of racism makes the next wolf cry less believable, but also makes the next victim worry that they will be less believable as well.

Every false allegation of racism makes the next wolf cry less believable, but also makes the next victim worry that they will be less believable as well.

I'm surprised it's believed at all any more.

If you were the woman who got fired would you WANT your job back?

My guess is that she has been contacted by dozens of eager attorneys now.

That's what happens with a special rights mentality.

Or rather, that's what happens in a country filled with people keen to blow every trivial incident up into some kind of quasi-political 'issue.' Like you're doing now.

Or rather, that's what happens in a country filled with people keen to blow every trivial incident up into some kind of quasi-political 'issue.' Like you're doing now.

By pointing out something that should have been reviewed first?

Finally, an explanation that makes sense. I couldn't figure out how people got away without paying, but obviously once it's made you can't put it back... So goodwill and all that - let them slide.

I don't think those places charge extra for extra toppings so I don't see why it would be an issue. Just tell them at the order counter that you want "double meat" but otherwise the veggies and stuff cost next to nothing anyway.

Chipotle does charge extra for some, guacamole is the big one.

Hey, would you like guacamole for an extra charge?
Sure!

There's about $2 more in sales...

By pointing out something that should have been reviewed first?

Since when was it your place to tell a private business how they 'should' react to market signals?

Of course you originally said nothing whatsoever about how extensive the review undertaken by the company should have been. You said something about a 'special rights mentality'... from the sudden change of tack it seems you now wish you hadn't.

Back
Top Bottom