• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boulder shooter's brother says shooter was nutts. Time for gun restraining orders?

Wouldn't a psychologist examining the patient be able to figure that out?
Of course. I am just saying it is tough to decide who really presents a threat.

Am afraid the really dangerous ones know how to hide that side of themselves from others. Almost on cue neighbors will come out and talk about how a killer was a loner.

If there is probable cause that someone is insane that individual should have a court ordered psychological evaluation. If that individual is found to be dangerously nuts then he should be locked up in a loony bin until cured. Not out freely roaming around waiting to explode.
There are no more 'looney bins'.

There are no more 'looney bins'.
Then we need to bring them back. It makes no sense to have someone who is dangerously nuts running around waiting to explode.

I'm proposing that background checks into gun purchases are a lot more stringent across the board, possibly including things like medical history and the like.

I know there is zero chance of that becoming a reality anytime soon, but we have many examples of disturbed young men who obviously should not have been able to buy a gun, yet were. There are greater protections put in place for getting a loan than buying something capable of killing a roomful of people in seconds.

I thought background checks did this already. If a court has ruled you mentally incapable, doesn't that mean you're ineligible to own a gun ?

What do you do if your brother, who you know to be severely paranoid decides to buy an AR15?

Let me introduce to you the "gun restraining order".

A family member can go before a judge and request a gun restraining order.

If it's granted, the restrainee has to give up his firearms, the family can keep them safe, and can't be anywhere within a 100 yards of a firearm or ammunition.

The restrainee also goes on a list that prevents him from buying firearms or ammunition.

Like all court decisions, this can be appealed.

Why is it you immediately jump to politicizing this sort of thing to harass people you disagree with is some sort of imaginary solution to a problem that exists in your head?

It's really pathetic and extremely transparent.

If there is probable cause that someone is insane that individual should have a court ordered psychological evaluation. If that individual is found to be dangerously nuts then he should be locked up in a loony bin until cured. Not out freely roaming around waiting to explode.
Perhaps there are people that are only a danger when they have a gun in their hands and do not need to be locked up. No medical professional would ever say that mental illness is "cured" either.

the real threats seems to be gun banners who hope the government send jack booted storm troopers to seize guns from those who owned them legally for decades, and now refuse to give them up
No one is proposing that in this thread except you. Are you a gun banner?

what do you think the fall out would be and the body count if the government actually tried to ban all guns and confiscate those currently owned?
Hard to say. Is that a threat?

If a person's own family believes they are mentally unstable, there is probably decent reason to believe they shouldn't be sold a weapon capable of murdering dozens of people in the blink of an eye.

But I think we both know that any regulation that removes a person's right to own whatever weapon they choose, no matter the level of threat they pose to society, will automatically be referred to as "gun grabbing" by the usual suspects and therefore be a non starter. The day they decided a bunch of kindergarteners having their heads caved in with an AR-15 by a disturbed individual wasn't enough of an incentive to act, it became clear nothing would be.

I have always said there is no reason a person who is legally insane (mentally unable to make good judgment in his use of a gun for medical reasons) or alcoholic should be allowed to own a gun.

Republicans proved they want more violence by refusing to consider increasing gun control after the Sandy Hook tragedy, which happened months after the Batman shooting. Barack Obama urged them to do it by saying the victims of those mass shootings "need a vote" during his 2013 State of the Union address. I loved the way he said it.

What do you do if your brother, who you know to be severely paranoid decides to buy an AR15?

Let me introduce to you the "gun restraining order".

A family member can go before a judge and request a gun restraining order.

If it's granted, the restrainee has to give up his firearms, the family can keep them safe, and can't be anywhere within a 100 yards of a firearm or ammunition.

The restrainee also goes on a list that prevents him from buying firearms or ammunition.

Like all court decisions, this can be appealed.

Do you have any confirmation that the shooter was "severely paranoid"? Other than his brother, that is.
Because the shooter's social media shows a man obsessed with the media's obsession with hating Trump and his supporters.
What do you do if your brother is a homicidal racist?

You can't read?

If you don't want me responding to your posts don't make them publicly.
Aw, I was just joking you dude, don't get your knickers in a knot.

The 2nd amendment can be abolished. It's ancient and doesn't apply anymore. We didn't have assault riffles, a military or police force when they wrote that thing. Hell, half the people couldn't even vote then.

Things have changed, we should change with them in my opinion. That's a worn out excuse. What are the real reasons you want to keep gun ownership as a right?

Damn! Some people sure do get a little testicular in these threads!!
Oh 🙋‍♀️ Hi Lutherf, join the party. I was waiting to see your opinions on gun control. :)

Aw, I was just joking you dude, don't get your knickers in a knot.
About not being able to read?
The 2nd amendment can be abolished. It's ancient and doesn't apply anymore. We didn't have assault riffles, a military or police force when they wrote that thing. Hell, half the people couldn't even vote then.
Sure it can be. We don't because most people disagree with you, it still applies. Some would say it applies more today than it ever did.
Things have changed, we should change with them in my opinion. That's a worn out excuse. What are the real reasons you want to keep gun ownership as a right?
Maintain power with the citizens.

About not being able to read?
Sure it can be. We don't because most people disagree with you, it still applies. Some would say it applies more today than it ever did.
Maintain power with the citizens.
Well, I can obviously read, I asked the question you answered to the poster Turtledude.

Um, well, I would say the majority of people want gun control with assault riffle bans, especially women. I stated earlier it wouldn't happen, but, it is what I think needs to happen.

Maintain what power with the citizens? Owning a gun will not increase your power as a citizen. Don't forget the freedom to live safely in our society, that's a right you can fight for. The other, not so much. It's not the same country it was when this was written.

Well, I can obviously read, I asked the question you answered to the poster Turtledude.
But you asked me if my name was turtledude. If you could read you wouldn't have needed to.

So, if you only want turtledude to respond don't post it publicly.
Um, well, I would say the majority of people want gun control with assault riffle bans, especially women.
I would say this is wishful thinking. If they did we would have it.
I stated earlier it wouldn't happen, but, it is what I think needs to happen.
It has happened, well sort of. Assault weapons ban of 1994, it just simply didn't do anything the people that wrote it were profoundly ignorant.
Maintain what power with the citizens? Owning a gun will not increase your power as a citizen.
Then there is no reason to ban them.
Don't forget the freedom to live safely in our society, that's a right you can fight for.
Those who give up liberty for a false sense of safety deserve neither.
The other, not so much. It's not the same country it was when this was written.
Not sure when it stopped being the United States of American. Must have missed that in history.

Turtledude likes to make threats.

It's like he thinks he's the only violent person in America.
I know right! If people think it works to say, "I dare you, all hell will break lose if you do," then all the more reason to ban the guns they're carrying to do it. Do people really think they can hold Americans hostage? That Capital thing has really gone to their heads.

Back
Top Bottom