• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boulder shooter's brother says shooter was nutts. Time for gun restraining orders?

I doubt the facts will matter to any of you, but we already have the laws on the books to accomplish what you claim. Had the family gone to law enforcement and talked to them about their concerns, he could have been transported to the nearest mental health facility and evaluated. In Colorado, the law allows law forcement to transport and mental health facilities to hold for 72 hours to assess the mental wellness of an individual. Had there been further concerns expressed, Colorado law allows for long term case management and entrance into psychiatric/psychological care.

I know right! If people think it works to say, "I dare you, all hell will break lose if you do," then all the more reason to ban the guns they're carrying to do it. Do people really think they can hold Americans hostage? That Capital thing has really gone to their heads.
It does work because you don't dare. If that's all the more reason to take it come and do it.

You mean in 1776?

But you asked me if my name was turtledude. If you could read you wouldn't have needed to.

So, if you only want turtledude to respond don't post it publicly.
I would say this is wishful thinking. If they did we would have it. It has happened, well sort of. Assault weapons ban of 1994, it just simply didn't do anything the people that wrote it were profoundly ignorant.
Then there is no reason to ban them.
Those who give up liberty for a false sense of safety deserve neither.
Not sure when it stopped being the United States of American. Must have missed that in history.
IT WAS A JOKE DUDE! Skip it if you don't get it.

Google who wants assault riffle bans if you want an accurate number on it. Last I checked it was a majority. There is more than want that prevents the gun control in this country.

There is plenty of reason to ban them.

What about the freedom to live safely in your society? I don't think your gun rights trump that.

The United States of America has amended, thrown out and created new laws through out it's history and will continue to so as it changes. Yes, you missed it.

It does work because you don't dare. If that's all the more reason to take it come and do it.

You mean in 1776?
So, let me get this straight. If there is a ban on assault weapons by Biden and gang, your gang will start another revolution to stop it? Like, you "dare" the government to do it?

I think I'll sit home and watch you and the military battle it out then. I'm not a violent person, hence my opinion on the ban. But, hey, knock yourself out. If reliving the revolution for assault riffles is your thing.

IT WAS A JOKE DUDE! Skip it if you don't get it.
and I'm giving it back to you if you can't take it you shouldn't dish it out.
Google who wants assault riffle bans if you want an accurate number on it. Last I checked it was a majority. There is more than want that prevents the gun control in this country.
That just isn't reality. You can believe whatever fiction you wish.

The majority in this country rules. If the majority wanted to alter the Constitution we would, we have before, many times.
There is plenty of reason to ban them.
the only real reason is to take power away from the citizens that's why anyone ever does it that's why anyone ever supports it you are lying to yourself if you think it's otherwise.
What about the freedom to live safely in your society? I don't think your gun rights trump that.
my gun rights tone interfere with your safety don't be a gang banger and don't commit suicide and the chances of you dying from gunshot ones it's extremely low.

If you said terrified of being shot all the time you are suffering from an extremely irrational fear and your irrational fear should not drive away my liberties.
The United States of America has amended, thrown out and created new laws through out it's history and will continue to so as it changes. Yes, you missed it.
but we haven't changed the Second Amendment because we don't want to that majority of people that want to only exists in your mind and whatever Google propaganda you choose to read.

So, let me get this straight. If there is a ban on assault weapons by Biden and gang, your gang will start another revolution to stop it? Like, you "dare" the government to do it?
well first if the president usurps the Constitution he is committed treason and should be hung. He doesn't have the power to with a pin stroke take away rights and yes the people should rebel against such a dictator move. if you want to live like that go move to North Korea that's already a country for you they have loads of gun control I bet they're just as safe as they can be
I think I'll sit home and watch you and the military battle it out then.
the military is not going to stand with an enemy of the state. Even if it is the president. so there won't be any duking it out between me and the military, I don't know why you think these people are your puppets.
I'm not a violent person, hence my opinion on the ban. But, hey, knock yourself out. If reliving the revolution for assault riffles is your thing.
I won't you've never succeeded in this because your people are too incompetent. You only get to the stage of revolution if you have competence to get there.

well first if the president usurps the Constitution he is committed treason and should be hung...

No, that wouldn't be treason - as defined by the Constitution itself
Secondly, meat is hung, people are "hanged"

....if you want to live like that go move to North Korea that's already a country for you they have loads of gun control I bet they're just as safe as they can be

So the challenge is to create a country with the prosperity of the USA and the lack of gun crime of North Korea.

well first if the president usurps the Constitution he is committed treason and should be hung. He doesn't have the power to with a pin stroke take away rights and yes the people should rebel against such a dictator move. if you want to live like that go move to North Korea that's already a country for you they have loads of gun control I bet they're just as safe as they can be
the military is not going to stand with an enemy of the state. Even if it is the president. so there won't be any duking it out between me and the military, I don't know why you think these people are your puppets. I won't you've never succeeded in this because your people are too incompetent. You only get to the stage of revolution if you have competence to get there.
The majority of Americans support a ban on assault weapons in the wake of two recent mass shootings that killed a total of 31 people, a new Fox News poll found.

Two-thirds of Americans favor a ban on assault rifles and semi-automatic weapons as a measure to reduce gun violence, according to a poll released Wednesday. It is a 7-point increase from when the question was asked in March 2018.https://thehill.com/homenews/news/457481-two-thirds-support-assault-weapons-ban-fox-news-poll

We looked at the results of five polls taken after the early August mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. We limited our search to that time period because the question by debate moderator David Muir mentioned the El Paso shooting.

Overall, polls showed between 56% and 70% of people back a ban on assault rifles. Polls showed higher support among Democrats.https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2019/sep/12/joe-biden/biden-exaggerated-percentage-americans-who-favor-a/

LOOKS LIKE A MAJORITY TO ME over a period of time, the majority has wanted them banned.

WASHINGTON — Faced with the second mass shooting in a week, President Biden and Democrats on Capitol Hill called on Tuesday for fast action to enact stricter gun laws, a plea that was immediately met with a blockade of opposition by Republicans.

In brief, somber remarks from the White House, Mr. Biden called on the Senate to pass a ban on assault weapons and to close background check loopholes, saying that doing so would be “common sense steps that will save lives in the future.”

LOOKS LIKE THE REPUBLICANS WILL be the ones who try to block the majority of what this countries wants. Just like they did with the election. Conspiracy theories don't count.

What you say doesn't a line with the truth of the matter.

No, that wouldn't be treason - as defined by the Constitution itself
Secondly, meat is hung, people are "hanged"

So the challenge is to create a country with the prosperity of the USA and the lack of gun crime of North Korea.

You mean Japan? lol

I doubt the facts will matter to any of you, but we already have the laws on the books to accomplish what you claim. Had the family gone to law enforcement and talked to them about their concerns, he could have been transported to the nearest mental health facility and evaluated. In Colorado, the law allows law forcement to transport and mental health facilities to hold for 72 hours to assess the mental wellness of an individual. Had there been further concerns expressed, Colorado law allows for long term case management and entrance into psychiatric/psychological care.
The family's concerns seem rather expedient and timely.

The majority of Americans support a ban on assault weapons in the wake of two recent mass shootings that killed a total of 31 people, a new Fox News poll found.

Two-thirds of Americans favor a ban on assault rifles and semi-automatic weapons as a measure to reduce gun violence, according to a poll released Wednesday. It is a 7-point increase from when the question was asked in March 2018.https://thehill.com/homenews/news/457481-two-thirds-support-assault-weapons-ban-fox-news-poll

We looked at the results of five polls taken after the early August mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. We limited our search to that time period because the question by debate moderator David Muir mentioned the El Paso shooting.

Overall, polls showed between 56% and 70% of people back a ban on assault rifles. Polls showed higher support among Democrats.https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2019/sep/12/joe-biden/biden-exaggerated-percentage-americans-who-favor-a/

LOOKS LIKE A MAJORITY TO ME over a period of time, the majority has wanted them banned.

WASHINGTON — Faced with the second mass shooting in a week, President Biden and Democrats on Capitol Hill called on Tuesday for fast action to enact stricter gun laws, a plea that was immediately met with a blockade of opposition by Republicans.

In brief, somber remarks from the White House, Mr. Biden called on the Senate to pass a ban on assault weapons and to close background check loopholes, saying that doing so would be “common sense steps that will save lives in the future.”

LOOKS LIKE THE REPUBLICANS WILL be the ones who try to block the majority of what this countries wants. Just like they did with the election. Conspiracy theories don't count.

What you say doesn't a line with the truth of the matter.
Lie to yourself all you want find all the other liars you want to lie to you.

If the majority supported it, it would be law.

You do know how a democratic process works don't you?

You are familiar with the concept of "tyranny of the majority"?.

You are familiar with the concept of "tyranny of the majority"?.
In order for a constitutional amendment to be ratified there has to be a majority in the house and senate, and the states have to agree on it.

If there was a majority like some people wish to believe this would have come to pass.

Lie to yourself all you want find all the other liars you want to lie to you.

If the majority supported it, it would be law.

You do know how a democratic process works don't you?
According to a Pew Research Center poll in 2019, growing proportions of Americans in both parties supported tighter gun laws. There was broad bipartisan support as well on some specific steps, including barring people with mental illnesses from buying guns. About 71 percent of Americans — including a slight majority of Republicans — favored banning high-capacity ammunition magazines, while 69 percent, including half of Republicans, backed an assault weapons ban. (from the same article I sited)

Yep, I do. I guess we'll see if it works this time. Seems some Republicans are climbing onboard. It won't take many. I won't hold my breath, but it's worth a try if it saves some lives.

I'm not sure what kind of response you crave to all the cut downs you throw out in your posts, maybe, "oh no Mr. for guns man, I'm not sure how the democratic watic process works." There, I gave it my best shot. Hope it was satisfying.

According to a Pew Research Center poll in 2019, growing proportions of Americans in both parties supported tighter gun laws. There was broad bipartisan support as well on some specific steps, including barring people with mental illnesses from buying guns. About 71 percent of Americans — including a slight majority of Republicans — favored banning high-capacity ammunition magazines, while 69 percent, including half of Republicans, backed an assault weapons ban.

Yep, I do. I guess we'll see if it works this time. Seems some Republicans are climbing onboard. It won't take many. I won't hold my breath, but it's worth a try if it saves some lives.

I'm not sure what kind of response you crave to all the cut downs you throw out in your posts, maybe, "oh no Mr. for guns man, I'm not sure how the democratic watic process works." There, I gave it my best shot. Hope it was satisfying.
I don't care how many lies you cite. It won't make it truth.

The way our country works is through the Democratic process. If this was a majority opinion it would be law. It isn't law because it isn't the majority opinion. It's really rather simple.

The only way you can write me it's the majority opinion is show me the amendment that repeals the second amendment.

Or maybe it's a conspiracy.

I think I'll sit home and watch you and the military battle it out then. I'm not a violent person, hence my opinion on the ban. But, hey, knock yourself out. If reliving the revolution for assault riffles is your thing.
Maybe the NRA Is a shadow government that has ultimate control over the country and won't let the majority rule.

Maybe it's the Illuminati or lizard people.

😆

Maybe the NRA Is a shadow government that has ultimate control over the country and won't let the majority rule.

Maybe it's the Illuminati or lizard people.

😆
I thought the NRA ran to Texas after their ass was slapped in NY?
AUSTIN, Texas -- The National Rifle Association announced Friday it has filed for bankruptcy protection and will seek to incorporate the nation’s most politically influential gun-rights group in Texas instead of New York, where a state lawsuit is trying to put the organization out of business.

The announcement came months after New York Attorney General Letitia James sued the NRA, seeking its dissolution over claims that top executives illegally diverted tens of millions of dollars for lavish personal trips, no-show contracts for associates and other questionable expenditures.
I don't think they have the strength. They're barely breathing.

No, not the Illuminati, that's too old school.

But, the lizard people, now they'll get it done for sure!! lol

I might not move to NK, but, you're right about one thing, I was definitely born in the wrong country. I'll agree with you on that one. I wouldn't mind a less violent country.

I thought the NRA ran to Texas after their ass was slapped in NY?
AUSTIN, Texas -- The National Rifle Association announced Friday it has filed for bankruptcy protection and will seek to incorporate the nation’s most politically influential gun-rights group in Texas instead of New York, where a state lawsuit is trying to put the organization out of business.

The announcement came months after New York Attorney General Letitia James sued the NRA, seeking its dissolution over claims that top executives illegally diverted tens of millions of dollars for lavish personal trips, no-show contracts for associates and other questionable expenditures.
I don't think they have the strength. They're barely breathing.

No, not the Illuminati, that's too old school.

But, the lizard people, now they'll get it done for sure!! lol

I might not move to NK, but, you're right about one thing, I was definitely born in the wrong country. I'll agree with you on that one. I wouldn't mind a less violent country.
What are you doing here than?

What are you doing here than?
It's not exactly cheap to move to a different country. Don't worry, I'm saving up and will get out of your hair soon. I'll leave the next revolution to you. You seem pumped for it.

I'd have a little more respect for gun owners if they tried to come up with a plan to lesson mass shootings instead of just taking the casualties with a grain of salt so they can keep a stockpile. But hey, you do you and I'll do me.

It's not exactly cheap to move to a different country. Don't worry, I'm saving up and will get out of your hair soon. I'll leave the next revolution to you. You seem pumped for it.
you seem pumped for it, you're the only one talking about it.
I'd have a little more respect for gun owners if they tried to come up with a plan to lesson mass shootings instead of just taking the casualties with a grain of salt so they can keep a stockpile. But hey, you do you and I'll do me.
I'd place a little more value of being respected by you if it wasn't conditional on idiocy.

you seem pumped for it, you're the only one talking about it.
I'd place a little more value of being respected by you if it wasn't conditional on idiocy.

Attack the post, not the poster.

Perhaps there are people that are only a danger when they have a gun in their hands and do not need to be locked up. No medical professional would ever say that mental illness is "cured" either.
IF someone is dangerously nuts then a ban on them having guns isn't going to stop them from killing people.

Back
Top Bottom