• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boulder shooter's brother says shooter was nutts. Time for gun restraining orders?

With more guns than US citizens, that's not gonna happen. Even our western allies don't go to such extremes.

Not going to EVER happen, even under the most "far Left" administration imaginable.
REASON: It is impossible.
It is impossible from every standpoint, ethical, fiscal and logistical.
And not only that, you'd still have plenty of Democrats crossing the aisle to vote with conservatives.

I just read that the shooter was known to the FBI.
That alone should have been a red flag prompting a checkup.

If your actions get the attention of the FBI and their observations conclude that you're delusional, bye bye guns and you go on the list.
It's really not that difficult, just a matter of resource allocation.

I just read that the shooter was known to the FBI.
That alone should have been a red flag prompting a checkup.

If your actions get the attention of the FBI and their observations conclude that you're delusional, bye bye guns and you go on the list.
It's really not that difficult, just a matter of resource allocation.

So being "known" to the FBI is enough to activate a red flag law ?

That would mean a government agency assumes a de facto power to disqualify any gun owner from keeping their guns.

Yes? Not really sure what sorta "gotcha" you're trying to pull. I've never said anything about the US being omnipotent.

Yes ?

So you ***DO*** think that banning guns in the USA is too big a task for the USA ?

The guys was nuts, paranoid, loony tunes. It's the person not the gun. Last time I checked I haven't committed a gun crime, nor have any of my gun owning friends. Why should we be punished? I'll tell you what, when they stop letting boys be girls and compete in athletics against biological "real" girls, then I'll be willing to talk over some gun changes. Until then I have to make sure some guy, claiming he feels like a girl today, cannot go in my daughters restroom or locker room and do what ever.

If a person's own family believes they are mentally unstable, there is probably decent reason to believe they shouldn't be sold a weapon capable of murdering dozens of people in the blink of an eye.

But I think we both know that any regulation that removes a person's right to own whatever weapon they choose, no matter the level of threat they pose to society, will automatically be referred to as "gun grabbing" by the usual suspects and therefore be a non starter. The day they decided a bunch of kindergarteners having their heads caved in with an AR-15 by a disturbed individual wasn't enough of an incentive to act, it became clear nothing would be.
Colorado already has an ERPO law. It's a shame it wasn't tried.

Would defending the country against China be one ?
From what research I've done, it would basically mutual destruction, but I think the US will come up on top. Though, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

what do you think the fall out would be and the body count if the government actually tried to ban all guns and confiscate those currently owned?

Guns will never be completely banned anymore than humans will start having 6 legs. I'm not even sure why it's still brought into the mix.

From what research I've done, it would basically mutual destruction, but I think the US will come up on top. Though, I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Getting *in* is what he's getting at. Getting in a rabbit hole.

If we can't trust the USA to disarm the country's gun owners, how could we trust it to disarm the PLA ?

Because a certain former president labelled it a grave threat to America.
I gave up supporting Trump like two years ago if that's where you're going. Be that as it may, they're still a threat. How much of a threat China is, is up for debate.

Trump is no longer president. He is completely irrelevant in this discussion
It will be Trumps fault until the next republican is elected president. It was Bush's fault for 8 years of Obama. Obama smoked cigarettes Bush's fault. The insanity never ends.

I gave up supporting Trump like two years ago if that's where you're going. Be that as it may, they're still a threat. How much of a threat China is, is up for debate.

You mean you once did ?

China now has a bigger navy in terms of number of active hulls, than the USA.

You mean you once did ?

China now has a bigger navy in terms of number of active hulls, than the USA.
The number of ships is irrelevant. In the next major war we will see innovation that will almost certainly make what we currently have obsolete. Just like the aircraft carrier made the battle ship obsolete we may see the same thing with drones. Ships can be overwhelmed by thousands of simple drones that are nothing more than flying explosives. They can attack from the air as well as from the sea attaching to the hull and detonating. Unfortunately nobody knows what the deciding factor will be until the battle is over.

Colorado already has an ERPO law. It's a shame it wasn't tried.

If the family is unwilling to use or doea not know about such options/laws then they are not effective. So should the family be held responsible for not reporting their suspicions?

If the family is unwilling to use or doea not know about such options/laws then they are not effective. So should the family be held responsible for not reporting their suspicions?
No, at least not what from what I know so far.
Being paranoid doesn't necessarily mean you're homicidal.

Back
Top Bottom